Additionally, as this is a factory fresh KEY2 and I haven't loaded the device with all my apps, I will move forward over day/days installing all my apps and putting in my SIM and trying text messages.

But I do have to say as I type this the swiping is continuing to be consistent and I'm not experiencing the missed attempts when I swipe up to insert a predicted word.

Nothing has changed with my typing style, old dog new tricks, so could it be this device has an updated PKB?

Time will tell...

Bob
    02-25-19 02:14 PM
    Yup. That's they key to this whole ordeal....it always works great immediately post update and then starts going south...
    Don't be a Debbie Downer... 😁 I prefer to be optimistic. But I will not conclusively state the issue is resolved. I need more time hammering away on the PKB.

The space bar and other keys are solid... no clicky clicky of the space bar and it is rock solid... 👍

Bob
    02-25-19 02:18 PM
    Don't be a Debbie Downer... I prefer to be optimistic. But I will not conclusively state the issue is resolved. I need more time hammering away on the PKB.

The space bar and other keys are solid... no clicky clicky of the space bar and it is rock solid...

Bob
    I learned from @Smokeaire to be pragmatic.
    Bob80220 and Smokeaire like this.
    02-25-19 02:21 PM
    I learned from @Smokeaire to be pragmatic.
    With that I may have to elevate your status Grasshopper.
    RK_BB likes this.
    02-25-19 02:34 PM
    There are probably millions of people holding their breath as they wait for Bob's final verdict. Have BBMo fixed the PKB and saved the world, or are we all going to hell in a handcart.

I've never been so glued to a thread in all my life. When people see I have a KEY device, they always stop me and ask if Bob has made the pronouncement yet. "Are we saved?" they cry.

Extraordinary times.

If BBMo had any sense, they'd run a BlackBerry ad with the strapline: "Approved by Bob". the devices would fly off the shelves.

But before you sign up to that Bob, give me fair warning so I can buy some stock in the company first.
    RK_BB, Jake2826 and Wrec like this.
    02-25-19 02:56 PM
    I just fired off an email to my BlackBerry Technical Support representative updating him with my initial findings of the replacement device. I told him things appear to be improved but I want to spend the next couple of days hammering on the PKB after fully setting up the device.

I did experience a couple of errors when swiping predicted words but I'm going to take ownership of those errors as I was typing and swiping extremely fast and my thumb placement was not accurate on the PKB. I did not have to make multiple swipes as I typically need to do.

I will continue to move forward setting up the device with all my apps and email accounts. Later today I will put in my SIM card and see how it goes texting with the messaging app, WhatsApp, and BBM.

Bob
    Smokeaire and anon(10387168) like this.
    02-25-19 02:56 PM
    Well I have been married to this device pretty much the entire day... 😓

I have installed all my apps and email accounts and we all know how that is... getting the proper notifications, etc. A royal PITA!!! That's why I dislike doing factory wipes...

The typing and swiping is still vastly improved and quite acceptable which I'm very happy with. The miscues I'm experiencing I, for now, am calling pilot error as I've been thumbling with the PKB far more than usual. Thumb fatigue... hahaha I've set up the finger print scanner and it works as it should... as it did my current KEY2.

A couple of things I've discovered is the screen on this KEY2 is not as bright/white as my current KEY2 set at 50% which is where I have my current device. It has a yellowish tint and is what I would call a warmer color. I prefer what my current screen looks like... is there something I'm missing in a setting somewhere? I've looked all over and can't find an adjustment like the PRIV had for saturation.

The other troubling item is the keyboard brightness settings. When I adjust the sliders to the settings I had on my current KEY2 the won't stay set. They keep changing to the highest setting after I have adjusted them to a less than higher setting.

I haven't popped in my SIM card yet to type and swipe with my messaging apps. I will do that tomorrow. I need a break from this device but overall I'm very pleased at this point.

Any assistance with regard to the 2 issues I mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
    02-25-19 06:44 PM
    Well I have been married to this device pretty much the entire day...

I have installed all my apps and email accounts and we all know how that is... getting the proper notifications, etc. A royal PITA!!! That's why I dislike doing factory wipes...

The typing and swiping is still vastly improved and quite acceptable which I'm very happy with. The miscues I'm experiencing I, for now, am calling pilot error as I've been thumbling with the PKB far more than usual. Thumb fatigue... hahaha I've set up the finger print scanner and it works as it should... as it did my current KEY2.

A couple of things I've discovered is the screen on this KEY2 is not as bright/white as my current KEY2 set at 50% which is where I have my current device. It has a yellowish tint and is what I would call a warmer color. I prefer what my current screen looks like... is there something I'm missing in a setting somewhere? I've looked all over and can't find an adjustment like the PRIV had for saturation.

The other troubling item is the keyboard brightness settings. When I adjust the sliders to the settings I had on my current KEY2 the won't stay set. They keep changing to the highest setting after I have adjusted them to a less than higher setting.

I haven't popped in my SIM card yet to type and swipe with my messaging apps. I will do that tomorrow. I need a break from this device but overall I'm very pleased at this point.

Any assistance with regard to the 2 issues I mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
    Cool to warm colour hue adjustment use to be in developer options. Although I cannot find it now. Perhaps someone can chime in.
    02-25-19 07:11 PM
    Bob, search display in settings. It is there. Let us know how you do. Cheers,
    02-25-19 07:14 PM
    I've been searching... I have read that this was reported by some KEY2 owners. The varied screen appearance when compared to other KEY2's.

I've looked in Developer Options but I'm not finding anything. Oh well, at least I can type and swipe about this better... hahaha

Bob
    Smokeaire likes this.
    02-25-19 07:24 PM
    I've been searching... I have read that this was reported by some KEY2 owners. The varied screen appearance when compared to other KEY2's.

I've looked in Developer Options but I'm not finding anything. Oh well, at least I can type and swipe about this better... hahaha

Bob
    Bob, if you search "Display" in the settings main screen, it will pop up. You have my word. I just made mine a little more beige (warm)!
    02-26-19 12:02 AM
    Look what appeared this morning on my PRD-003. I will update both of my devices and see how they compare.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Physical Keyboard use randomly activates Pointer/Cursor Mode issue.-28742.jpg  
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    02-26-19 08:10 AM
    I just fired off an email to my BlackBerry Technical Support representative updating him with my initial findings of the replacement device. I told him things appear to be improved but I want to spend the next couple of days hammering on the PKB after fully setting up the device.

I did experience a couple of errors when swiping predicted words but I'm going to take ownership of those errors as I was typing and swiping extremely fast and my thumb placement was not accurate on the PKB. I did not have to make multiple swipes as I typically need to do.

I will continue to move forward setting up the device with all my apps and email accounts. Later today I will put in my SIM card and see how it goes texting with the messaging app, WhatsApp, and BBM.

Bob
    Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted. I am specifically interested in the swiping up and the cursor symbol mode that pops up when you hover with your thumbs over certain keys.

Is there a difference in sound when pressing the spacebar and the other keys?

When my device was new there was no difference at all. Now after a couple of weeks of use the spacebar has started to sound more clicky.
    02-26-19 01:14 PM
    Look what appeared this morning on my PRD-003. I will update both of my devices and see how they compare.

Bob
    Mine updated just now too. NA - 002. Now we shall see.
    02-26-19 01:18 PM
    Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted. I am specifically interested in the swiping up and the cursor symbol mode that pops up when you hover with your thumbs over certain keys.

Is there a difference in sound when pressing the spacebar and the other keys?

When my device was new there was no difference at all. Now after a couple of weeks of use the spacebar has started to sound more clicky.
    I believe all our space bars sound clicky, different from the other keys. Mine was quite loud in the beginning, but very solid, no perceivable wobble. After about 3 weeks it quieted down a bit.

Having just received the OTA update today, I can also report that at this early hour, the word swipe is amazing! Now we shall see if it holds over a few more days. Thus far, very promising! Definitely something was tweaked again. Cheers,
    02-26-19 01:24 PM
    Okay ladies and gentlemen... here is where I am at currently. I updated both KEY2's with the February update that appeared this morning. I have been bouncing back and forth on both KEY2's and my PRIV typing and swiping emails.

I have been typing, at the direction of our traveling member, to use both thumbs and hover over the PKB. Man, what a learning curve this is... hahaha Typing with both thumbs and hovering, I am not experiencing the cursor popping up on either KEY2. Which perhaps means that there was something in the January and February updates that worked on correcting that issue.

Now, the disappointing thing is I still get some erratic swiping on both KEY2's although significantly improved from what I was experiencing before. My current KEY2 was in a good mood over the weekend, prior to getting the replacement device, and today after updating both KEY2's I'm not seeing any appreciable difference between the two when swiping predicted words. I can say I believe the swiping is improved on my current KEY2 which unfortunately leads me to believe the replacement device doesn't have a different PKB than what my current KEY2 has. Additionally, thumb placement is still critical but the need to do multiple swipes appears to have diminished greatly.

That being said, I did fire up my PRIV that I used for the past 3 years and hammered out some emails this morning. Interestingly enough, the typing and swiping was flawless as it was during my 3 years of use. I am left to believe that since I am still experiencing some swiping issues, although not as bad as before, there remains an issue. Software vs hardware? I have no clue. But clearly based on my findings the KEY2 PKB does not perform as well as the PRIV PKB.

I'm in a quandary of sorts whether to keep my current KEY2 or the replacement. I'm bothered a bit over the yellowish tint to the screen but it's not totally objectionable. I still haven't found any adjustment for that and the brightness adjustment of the keyboard and navigation button not holding is concerning. I also had an issue with the fingerprint scanner not reading properly and I did a reset on that and it's functioning fine currently. The space bar is solid and no clicking as my current KEY2 doesn't either.

I did email my BBMo representative this morning about the issues I discovered but haven't heard back. I will email him again later today to update him on my findings after doing the update this morning.

Bob
    anon(10387168) and Smokeaire like this.
    02-26-19 02:27 PM
    Okay ladies and gentlemen... here is where I am at currently. I updated both KEY2's with the February update that appeared this morning. I have been bouncing back and forth on both KEY2's and my PRIV typing and swiping emails.

I have been typing, at the direction of our traveling member, to use both thumbs and hover over the PKB. Man, what a learning curve this is... hahaha Typing with both thumbs and hovering, I am not experiencing the cursor popping up on either KEY2. Which perhaps means that there was something in the January and February updates that worked on correcting that issue.

Now, the disappointing thing is I still get some erratic swiping on both KEY2's although significantly improved from what I was experiencing before. My current KEY2 was in a good mood over the weekend, prior to getting the replacement device, and today after updating both KEY2's I'm not seeing any appreciable difference between the two when swiping predicted words. I can say I believe the swiping is improved on my current KEY2 which unfortunately leads me to believe the replacement device doesn't have a different PKB than what my current KEY2 has. Additionally, thumb placement is still critical but the need to do multiple swipes appears to have diminished greatly.

That being said, I did fire up my PRIV that I used for the past 3 years and hammered out some emails this morning. Interestingly enough, the typing and swiping was flawless as it was during my 3 years of use. I am left to believe that since I am still experiencing some swiping issues, although not as bad as before, there remains an issue. Software vs hardware? I have no clue. But clearly based on my findings the KEY2 PKB does not perform as well as the PRIV PKB.

I'm in a quandary of sorts whether to keep my current KEY2 or the replacement. I'm bothered a bit over the yellowish tint to the screen but it's not totally objectionable. I still haven't found any adjustment for that and the brightness adjustment of the keyboard and navigation button not holding is concerning. I also had an issue with the fingerprint scanner not reading properly and I did a reset on that and it's functioning fine currently. The space bar is solid and no clicking as my current KEY2 doesn't either.

I did email my BBMo representative this morning about the issues I discovered but haven't heard back. I will email him again later today to update him on my findings after doing the update this morning.

Bob
    Thank you for the update. At this point I won't risk getting a refurbished key2 with a worse screen or keyboard. All in all the keyboard works fine for me besides the swiping up not being bad but just not consistent.

I'd rather keep the new device instead of a device that was previously used by someone else.
    02-26-19 02:35 PM
    Priv had perfect pkb sensor and key2 is not even close. I think this is a hardware issue.
    02-26-19 02:37 PM
    Priv had perfect pkb sensor and key2 is not even close. I think this is a hardware issue.
    That is what I was told by the BlackBerry Technical Support representative which is why I had them send me a replacement device. I was under the assumption, but not told, that the replacement device would have a different PKB. That does not appear to be the case but I will be following up with my representative regarding that.

Bob
    krazyatom likes this.
    02-26-19 02:48 PM
    Thank you for the update. At this point I won't risk getting a refurbished key2 with a worse screen or keyboard. All in all the keyboard works fine for me besides the swiping up not being bad but just not consistent.

I'd rather keep the new device instead of a device that was previously used by someone else.
    I believe you did the autoload of the ABP924 February update which I received this morning OTA. Have you noticed anything different with the cursor or PKB sensitivity issue?

Bob
    02-26-19 02:51 PM

Bob
    Thanks Bob, much appreciated. To be honest, my decision to replace my current unit was hinging on your findings. That was up until this morning when the Feb update dropped out of nowhere. I am experiencing the exact same symptoms as you, I can totally see that being mitigated with a small adjustment to typing style if this latest fix holds. Personally, if both devices are about the same performance wise, I would keep the original. The proof will be in the pudding after a few more days. By the way, not one problem typing this response! Again, thanks for taking one for the team Bob! Cheers,
    02-26-19 02:56 PM
    I believe you did the autoload of the ABP924 February update which I received this morning OTA. Have you noticed anything different with the cursor or PKB sensitivity issue?

Bob
    I can't say I notice a difference worth mentioning. When the March update is available as autoloader, I will do a full wipe instead of choosing the no wipe option I have been using for both the ABP242 and the ABP924 updates.

It will take me some time to setup the phone again but I'm willing to put in the effort for testing purposes.
    02-26-19 02:57 PM
    I can't say I notice a difference worth mentioning. When the March update is available as autoloader, I will do a full wipe instead of choosing the no wipe option I have been using for both the ABP242 and the ABP924 updates.

It will take me some time to setup the phone again but I'm willing to put in the effort for testing purposes.
    Hope that does it, as there is a very perceptible improvement in swiping with this update thus far. Let us know,

My hope is that we can shut down this thread some time soon! Time will tell,
    02-26-19 03:01 PM

I dread doing the "Full Wipe" having had to do that out of necessity on my PRIV a few times... once a year at least. I spent the better part of yesterday doing a fresh install of all my apps, and notification settings, etc. on the replacement KEY2. What a royal time consuming PITFA!!!

I do believe whatever subtle differences I can see with the replacement KEY2 I account that to being a factory fresh start. Whatever the differences I may be experiencing it's most definitely not enough for me to consider a "Full Wipe" on my current KEY2... at least not yet anyway... hahaha

Bob
    02-26-19 03:18 PM

Bob
    So essentially it's go with an unknown and take your chances or stick with the known and hope for an update fix, or just live with it.
    I'm going to go bang my head on a wall for awhile.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    02-26-19 03:36 PM
2,521 ... 6465666768 ...