All I can do is report back how the refurbishment replacement KEY2 performs in comparison to my current KEY2 and the swiping issue. No pressure I can't handle really... I deal with pressure situations frequently much more serious than a PKB sensitivity issue on a KEY2... hahaha

Given that it is a refurbished replacement, I am very curious what the build date is of the device. My current Black KEY2 has a build date of August 3. I will check that and report what it is. Additionally, I will inspect the device for cosmetic condition... typically refurbished devices look as new from my familiarity with people who get refurbished iPhones. I have no direct knowledge with regard to BlackBerry Mobile as this is obviously a first for me. That being said, I will be particularly interested in the state of the space bar key and fingerprint sensor. Is it loose, wobbly, clicky? My current KEY2 space bar is solid. Also, does the fingerprint scanner work consistently like my current KEY2 does.

Once I receive the device Monday I will take it for a spin and see how the PKB performs. Based on the assurance I was given I want to be hopeful and optimistic. I can only go with the information I was given by the BlackBerry Technical Support representative telling me it is a hardware issue with the PKB after his viewing my 2 videos I sent him. If I was mislead and not given accurate and factual I information, then I will address that directly with the representative.

I will report back to everyone once I get it fired up and have the opportunity to see how the PKB functions. I will be brutally honest and unbiased with my review that you can be assured of.

Bob
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    02-23-19 11:41 AM
    Have you ever scrolled the CB app using the keypad and noticed a jitter?

It just happened to me and I was able to literally lift my thumb above the keypad as it was happening thereby not touching it at all (probably about 1 mm above the surface) yet I was still able to scroll up and down the page by simply moving my thumb up and down the keypad....with no physical touch at all!

As I said before, it's a hardware issue and it has something to do with the finish of the keys....it definitely felt like a conductivity (static) issue which makes sense on matte (flat) finish surfaced.
    02-23-19 12:04 PM
    All I can do is report back how the refurbishment replacement KEY2 performs in comparison to my current KEY2 and the swiping issue. No pressure I can't handle really... I deal with pressure situations frequently much more serious than a PKB sensitivity issue on a KEY2... hahaha

Given that it is a refurbished replacement, I am very curious what the build date is of the device. My current Black KEY2 has a build date of August 3. I will check that and report what it is. Additionally, I will inspect the device for cosmetic condition... typically refurbished devices look as new from my familiarity with people who get refurbished iPhones. I have no direct knowledge with regard to BlackBerry Mobile as this is obviously a first for me. That being said, I will be particularly interested in the state of the space bar key and fingerprint sensor. Is it loose, wobbly, clicky? My current KEY2 space bar is solid. Also, does the fingerprint scanner work consistently like my current KEY2 does.

Once I receive the device Monday I will take it for a spin and see how the PKB performs. Based on the assurance I was given I want to be hopeful and optimistic. I can only go with the information I was given by the BlackBerry Technical Support representative telling me it is a hardware issue with the PKB after his viewing my 2 videos I sent him. If I was mislead and not given accurate and factual I information, then I will address that directly with the representative.

I will report back to everyone once I get it fired up and have the opportunity to see how the PKB functions. I will be brutally honest and unbiased with my review that you can be assured of.

Bob
    The KEY² I'm using now is a refurbished replacement for my original KEY² that had the keyboard replaced. The refurbished phone looked brand new. So I don't think you have anything to worry about in that regard.
    02-23-19 12:05 PM
    Have you ever scrolled the CB app using the keypad and noticed a jitter?

It just happened to me and I was able to literally lift my thumb above the keypad as it was happening thereby not touching it at all (probably about 1 mm above the surface) yet I was still able to scroll up and down the page by simply moving my thumb up and down the keypad....with no physical touch at all!

As I said before, it's a hardware issue and it has something to do with the finish of the keys....it definitely felt like a conductivity (static) issue which makes sense on matte (flat) finish surfaced.
    I disagree about the finish having anything to do with it. I think if it did a lot more people would have these issues. In fact perhaps every KEY² would have these problems. The KEY² keyboard is a totally different construct with way more variables than the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. Bigger keys might mean different sensors, more sensitive than the KEYᵒⁿᵉ sensors. Who knows. I've even had swipe issues with my KEYᵒⁿᵉ. Not so bad that I would have noticed if it wasn't for the KEY² issue. Now I'm more sensitive to it.
    I'm more inclined to think an inconsistent manufacturing process or parts supplier inconsistency.
    If Bob's replacement phone acts up we still won't know the origin of the problem.
    02-23-19 12:18 PM
    The KEY² I'm using now is a refurbished replacement for my original KEY² that had the keyboard replaced. The refurbished phone looked brand new. So I don't think you have anything to worry about in that regard.
    I wasn't aware you were using a refurbished replacement... I'm curious when you did the exchange and was the exchange based on the premise of the PKB sensitivity issue? We're videos requested and if so did you send BlackBerry Technical Support videos? I'm not overly concerned about the cosmetic appearance of the refurbished replacement as I feel it will look as new.

I'm inclined to believe, as you mentioned in your post, that perhaps PKB's are produced by more than one supplier and that might be why there are some reporting no PKB sensitivity issue and others are. A defect in the manufacture of some PKB's. I doubt we will ever be privy to that information. Like the KEYone screen issue... some KEYone's experienced the screen lift issue and others didn't. Perhaps a different assembly location for the affected devices. Again, we will undoubtedly never know.

Bob
    02-23-19 12:38 PM
    I just received the below email in response to my attempts to cross reference information:

I crossed out all case #'s - FYI

+++

The best we can do so far is wait for Bob to receive the replacement phone to confirm is trouble free, if so, with you can then request a replacement as well.

In regards of your case a ticket is currently open with our R&D team, please let me know what happens with Bob's phone so we can either wait for a resolution from our R&D team or request exchange.

Best regards,

Leidi Sanchez

------------------- Original Message -------------------

Hi Leidi

In ticket # xxxxx, customer Bob handled by CSR Misael it looks like Misael promised Robert that his replacement phone will be trouble free. This replacement device is actually set to be delivered to Bob on Monday.

If that is the case indeed then it’s quite possible that your technicians identified a way to test the hardware and confirm that it’s fault free, otherwise why would Misael make such promise to Robert?

In ticket # xxxxx, customer Smokeaire handled by CSR Cinthya it looks like she was made aware of Bob case # xxxxx and confirmed that she will look into the accuracy of this information.

I am asking that you will do the same please and get back to me with your findings as I find it hard to believe that a software update will ever get this bug completely fixed.

+++
    Bob80220 likes this.
    02-23-19 12:45 PM
    Looks like we have BlackBerry Technical Support surrounded... 😂 We have launched an affront of encirclement. .. 👍

We will know how factual their representatives are with their information. Most specifically with me.

Bob
    Smokeaire and anon(10387168) like this.
    02-23-19 12:54 PM
    I wasn't aware you were using a refurbished replacement... I'm curious when you did the exchange and was the exchange based on the premise of the PKB sensitivity issue? We're videos requested and if so did you send BlackBerry Technical Support videos? I'm not overly concerned about the cosmetic appearance of the refurbished replacement as I feel it will look as new.

I'm inclined to believe, as you mentioned in your post, that perhaps PKB's are produced by more than one supplier and that might be why there are some reporting no PKB sensitivity issue and others are. A defect in the manufacture of some PKB's. I doubt we will ever be privy to that information. Like the KEYone screen issue... some KEYone's experienced the screen lift issue and others didn't. Perhaps a different assembly location for the affected devices. Again, we will undoubtedly never know.

Bob
    I sent my original KEY² in for a keyboard replacement because of the pkb issues that were the inspiration for this thread. When I received my repaired phone the issue still existed. So I then sent it in for a refurbished phone, which is the one I have now. The issue persisted. BBMo offered to do another exchange but thinking of the often quoted definition of insanity I declined. So in essence I've had three keyboards with the same problems.
    So I'm cautiously hopeful you will get a fully issue free pkb.
    And yes I sent in a video showing the cursor mode issue using my first KEY² along with a bug report of the incident.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    02-23-19 12:54 PM
    I sent my original KEY² in for a keyboard replacement because if the pkb issues that were the inspiration for this thread. When I received my repaired phone the issue still existed. So I then sent it in for a refurbished phone, which is the one I have now. The issue persisted. BBMo offered to do another exchange but thinking of the often quoted definition of insanity I declined. So in essence I've had three keyboards with the same problems.
    So I'm cautiously hopeful you will get a fully issue free pkb.
    And yes I sent in a video showing the cursor mode issue using my first KEY² along with a bug report of the incident.
    It could be a possibility I suppose, that somewhere along the way BlackBerry Mobile identified the source of the PKB issue. If that is the case, then hopefully the PKB that is installed on the refurbished replacement device I am receiving will be free of the PKB sensitivity issue. That is an unknown...

Bob
    02-23-19 01:00 PM
    I want to point out again that people who used BlackBerry Passports and PRIVS didn't experience the PKB sensitivity issue. That has been posted numerous times. The difference being those 2 devices were the former BlackBerry and not the current BlackBerry Mobile who are producing the KEY devices.

I didn't have the Passport but I did have the PRIV for 3 years and the PKB was flawless... and it still is... 👍

Bob
    02-23-19 01:08 PM
    It could be a possibility I suppose, that somewhere along the way BlackBerry Mobile identified the source of the PKB issue. If that is the case, then hopefully the PKB that is installed on the refurbished replacement device I am receiving will be free of the PKB sensitivity issue. That is an unknown...

Bob
    Bob you are BlackBerry Mobile's test mule! We expect you to deliver.
    02-23-19 01:25 PM
    Bob you are BlackBerry Mobile's test mule! We expect you to deliver.
    FedEx will deliver... I will be the Beta tester for lack of a better description.

Bob
    02-23-19 01:33 PM
    Prepare to be disappointed Bob. As most users (save the 4 or 5 active members in this thread) aren't experiencing issues, and blackberry technical support can't reproduce the issue, they can only go by the videos and testimony you provide. Which leads them to believe your keyboard is faulty, and upon "testing" the new device, since they can't recreate the issue themselves, have promised it is "fault free", because it is to them (and most every other user, it is). I could trade phones with anyone in this thread and bet I don't have an issue, but you would. Which leads to MOSTLY typing style. Software updates may be able to smooth out some of the swiping quirks, but it will never completely solve the issues you guys are experiencing. Unfortunately a thread like this one is harmful to BlackBerry, as it will deter any newcomers from buying a Key2 simply based on thread count, which is just the result of a few members simply having conversations with each other. Which is unfortunate because the Key2 is a great phone, though not without its faults. I have issues from the Key1 that still exist on the Key2 which have yet to be addressed (word substitution bug for example). Like I said SIX months ago when this thread started, don't expect a " fix" until the Key3.
    02-23-19 01:43 PM
    Prepare to be disappointed Bob. As most users (save the 4 or 5 active members in this thread) aren't experiencing issues, and blackberry technical support can't reproduce the issue, they can only go by the videos and testimony you provide. Which leads them to believe your keyboard is faulty, and upon "testing" the new device, since they can't recreate the issue themselves, have promised it is "fault free", because it is to them (and most every other user, it is). I could trade phones with anyone in this thread and bet I don't have an issue, but you would. Which leads to MOSTLY typing style. Software updates may be able to smooth out some of the swiping quirks, but it will never completely solve the issues you guys are experiencing. Unfortunately a thread like this one is harmful to BlackBerry, as it will deter any newcomers from buying a Key2 simply based on thread count, which is just the result of a few members simply having conversations with each other. Which is unfortunate because the Key2 is a great phone, though not without its faults. I have issues from the Key1 that still exist on the Key2 which have yet to be addressed (word substitution bug for example). Like I said SIX months ago when this thread started, don't expect a " fix" until the Key3.
    In fairness, typing style, hardware, and software all form a combined stew.

Hardware and/or software problems can perhaps be exposed by certain typing styles.
    02-23-19 01:48 PM
    In fairness, typing style, hardware, and software all form a combined stew.

Hardware and/or software problems can perhaps be exposed by certain typing styles.
    Agreed.
    02-23-19 01:49 PM
    Prepare to be disappointed Bob. As most users (save the 4 or 5 active members in this thread) aren't experiencing issues, and blackberry technical support can't reproduce the issue, they can only go by the videos and testimony you provide. Which leads them to believe your keyboard is faulty, and upon "testing" the new device, since they can't recreate the issue themselves, have promised it is "fault free", because it is to them (and most every other user, it is). I could trade phones with anyone in this thread and bet I don't have an issue, but you would. Which leads to MOSTLY typing style. Software updates may be able to smooth out some of the swiping quirks, but it will never completely solve the issues you guys are experiencing. Unfortunately a thread like this one is harmful to BlackBerry, as it will deter any newcomers from buying a Key2 simply based on thread count, which is just the result of a few members simply having conversations with each other. Which is unfortunate because the Key2 is a great phone, though not without its faults. I have issues from the Key1 which have yet to be addressed (word substitution bug for example). Like I said 4 months ago when this thread started, don't expect a " fix" until the Key3.
    I'm prepared for whatever I'm faced with... a trouble free PKB or more of the same. Regarding typing style... Sorry, but I've been typing the same way on my BlackBerry devices since 2005 and as I mentioned in a previous post, the prior 3 years on my BlackBerry PRIV without issue... even currently I use it for emails and the PKB functions flawlessly. So typing style is not a valid consideration in my opinion.

As I stated numerous times... the BlackBerry Technical Support representative identified the issue as a hardware issue... the PKB.

Yes, the KEY2 is a fantastic device without a doubt... I do love this device with the exception of the PKB sensitivity issue.

Regarding the other topics mentioned, I will refrain from responding other than to say respectfully, you are entitled to your opinion... as am I.

Bob
    02-23-19 01:52 PM
    I'm prepared for whatever I'm faced with... a trouble free PKB or more of the same. Regarding typing style... Sorry, but I've been typing the same way on my BlackBerry devices since 2005 and as I mentioned in a previous post, the prior 3 years on my BlackBerry PRIV without issue... even currently I use it for emails and the PKB functions flawlessly. So typing style is not a valid consideration in my opinion.

Bob
    I agree with this Bob, I should have said more specifically typing style related to this phone. Hence you probably won't see an improvement until the Key3.
    02-23-19 01:58 PM

As I stated numerous times... the BlackBerry Technical Support representative identified the issue as a hardware issue... the PKB.

Yes, the KEY2 is a fantastic device without a doubt... I do love this device with the exception of the PKB sensitivity issue.

Regarding the other topics mentioned, I will refrain from responding other than to say respectfully, you are entitled to your opinion... as am I.

Bob
    Congratulations on great restraint Grasshopper.
    It has been confirmed by BBMo Tech that the cursor mode issue can be activated by just hovering the fingers closely over the key board without touching it. Typing style my a$$
    Bob80220 and anon(10387168) like this.
    02-23-19 02:06 PM
    Unfortunately a thread like this one is harmful to BlackBerry, as it will deter any newcomers from buying a Key2 simply based on thread count, which is just the result of a few members simply having conversations with each other. Which is unfortunate because the Key2 is a great phone, though not without its faults. I have issues from the Key1 that still exist on the Key2 which have yet to be addressed (word substitution bug for example). Like I said SIX months ago when this thread started, don't expect a " fix" until the Key3.
    If this thread is that harmful to BlackBerry Mobile then they need to continue making efforts to fix this issue, including the ones you mentioned you noticed since the K1.

If they can't fix said issues then come clean about your findings to this point and your next steps otherwise the likelihood of this thread to dwindle down is possibly with the launch of K3.

We exchange hard earned money for marketed and sold goods and when that balance is impaired the seller can expect no remorse unless they handle it professionally and while keeping in mind that their customers are no fools!
    02-23-19 02:09 PM
    I agree with this Bob, I should have said more specifically typing style related to this phone. Hence you probably won't see an improvement until the Key3.
    Unfortunately the reality for me is, this is unacceptable. Certainly not the BlackBerry PKB typing experience I have been accustomed to for many years. I realize, as I have stated, this is not a BlackBerry device... it is a BlackBerry Mobile device.

One would reasonably expect, and should expect, to have the same PKB typing experience on the BBMo KEY devices without having to alter our learned and familiar typing styles. I didn't see any disclaimer from BBMo that I would have to type in a different manner when using a KEY2. So I am calling BS on that topic. This is the niche market BBMo is producing the KEY devices in. Why am I, or others, expected to lower our expectations of the PKB with the BBMo KEY2 PKB?

Bob
    02-23-19 02:10 PM
    If this thread is that harmful to BlackBerry Mobile then they need to continue making efforts to fix this issue, including the ones you mentioned you noticed since the K1.

If they can't fix said issues then come clean about your findings to this point and your next steps otherwise the likelihood of this thread to dwindle down is possibly with the launch of K3.

We exchange hard earned money for marketed and sold goods and when that balance is impaired the seller can expect no remorse unless they handle it professionally and while keeping in mind that their customers are no fools!
    It isn't harmful to BlackBerry mobile, it's harmful to new blackberry customers. And the word substitution bug is just something I've learned to live with, as I've been thru this same process with tech support back in the day with no solution ever produced. Aside from a mass hardware or software issue, like the screens falling off the key1, bbtech just doesn't care as much as they used to unfortunately. "We'll fix it in the next device, maybe".
    02-23-19 02:13 PM
    It isn't harmful to BlackBerry mobile, it's harmful to new blackberry customers. And the word substitution bug is just something I've learned to live with, as I've been thru this same process with tech support back in the day with no solution ever produced. Aside from a mass hardware or software issue, like the screens falling off the key1, bbtech just doesn't care as much as they used to unfortunately. "We'll fix it in the next device, maybe".
    As James Hatfield says: Sad but True
    Bob80220 likes this.
    02-23-19 02:14 PM

Again, I’ve sat by quietly, but in this situation, I must comment again...

While your opinions are similar to mine, I don’t believe thread is necessarily harmful to BBMo if situation is addressed honestly and truthfully. My comments and questions before go to very matter of situation.

BBMo either believes what they’re saying, or they’re blowing smoke up everyone’s backside. I don’t believe anyone should ever believe truth could be harmful.. If everyone looks at my earlier comments, maybe that puts everything in a better understood perspective with situation. Perception is reality for the injured. Those conversing here about their unhappiness deserve a clear answer. It’s obvious BBMo is trying for a solution.. To me, guaranteed certainty of the solution is unintended overstatement with a genuine belief of fixing the situation.

I hope each person’s issue can be correct. This is what I was going for before with earlier comments. I didn’t want to rehash but I didn’t want anyone thinking my comments were intended to silence negative issues...

Hope you all take my comment now in the positive manner intended....
    RK_BB and anon(10387168) like this.
    02-23-19 02:24 PM
    Hence you probably won't see an improvement until the Key3.
    If that is the case, then I feel it would be most appropriate and prudent on BBMo's part to extend me some consideration on a KEY3 with a PKB that functions as it should.

Why is it to be acceptable that I should have to deal with a known and acknowledged PKB sensitivity issue on my KEY2 as they get their act together on a KEY3?

I paid msrp for the KEY2 and I had a presumed understanding and expectation I would be purchasing a device with a PKB that is without flaws or defect.

So should I expect to get full credit for this device towards a KEY3 with a defect free PKB whenever they are released? I think we both know the answer to that question...

Bob
    02-23-19 02:28 PM
    Covering up or not reporting/ posting issues does not benefit any new or potential BlackBerry Mobile phone buyer. Phone reviewers expose drawbacks all of the time.
    Better the potential buyer go in with eyes wide open.
    Bob80220 and anon(10387168) like this.
    02-23-19 02:29 PM
2,521 ... 5960616263 ...