Well that wouldn't be acceptable to me unfortunately...

Bob
    BTW, if you do decide to go with the refurbished BBMO will want to put a full price hold on your credit card just incase the phone you turn in shows physical or water damage. That also pi$$ed me off. The off chance I would be charged full price for a refurbished phone. Luckily my phone I sent in suffered from neither.
    02-11-19 04:47 PM
    Smokeaire, as I recollect, the PKB replacement also had the issue, right? Is it still the one you have? If so, then absolutely no guarantees for any of us on a repair/replacement option.
    You are correct on both counts. Yep, no guarantees.
    Damn pop-up issue struck three times while writing this short post.
    02-11-19 04:50 PM
    Let me throw something in the air here:

As we know the K1 doesn't have this issue but it launched with Android N and only later got updated to Android O; this was AFTER the K2 keyboard issue surfaced (even internally) in which case, perhaps a remedy was added to the K1 OS update which as some of you might know, was delayed, perhaps the reason of which was exactly that!

Maybe this will only go away with Android P delivery?
    Last edited by RK_BB; 02-11-19 at 05:08 PM.
    02-11-19 04:58 PM
    Let me throw something in the air here:

As we know the K1 doesn't have this issue but it launched with Android N and only later got updated to Android O; this was AFTER the K2 keyboard issue surfaced (even internally) in which case, perhaps a remedy was added to the K1 OS the update which as some of you might know, was delayed, perhaps the reason of which was exactly that!

Maybe this will only go away with Android P delivery?
    Possible! Perhaps some of the heavy hitters here can help out some fellow member/enthusiasts with some pull/influence at BBMo to ensure our replacements are PKB problem free. At least that's what we do in our car club forums. We shall see.

PS - added bonus, this problematic thread dies!
    02-11-19 05:05 PM
    Possible! Perhaps some of the heavy hitters here can help out some fellow member/enthusiasts with some pull/influence at BBMo to ensure our replacements are PKB problem free. At least that's what we do in our car club forums. We shall see.

PS - added bonus, this problematic thread dies!
    It seems the only time the "heavy hitters" pop into this thread is either to state that this isn't an issue of any magnitude because of the few number of people who are complaining and they (heavy hitters) aren't experiencing it at all, or they are members of the BBMO Cheerleader and Pep Squad and we are the issue, not the phone. Either way I wouldn't count on any of them coming to our aid.
    02-11-19 05:26 PM
    It seems the only time the "heavy hitters" pop into this thread is either to state that this isn't an issue of any magnitude because of the few number of people who are complaining and they (heavy hitters) aren't experiencing it at all, or they are members of the BBMO Cheerleader and Pep Squad and we are the issue, not the phone. Either way I wouldn't count on any of them coming to our aid.
    They could always prove us wrong about them. Well boys? Your turn!
    02-11-19 05:53 PM
    If you're referring to me, my official stance is that there is no way to tell how widespread the issue is. That said, I find it strange that hundreds or thousands of folks actively raised their voices with other issues over the years, but are suddenly "silent observers" on this one issue alone.

Nor have I ever suggested it was anyone's fault, beyond the fact that some typing styles may perhaps exacerbate the issue.

But I truly hope you find a resolution that is satisfactory, and if there was something I could do to help, I'd do it.
    02-11-19 05:59 PM
    There is no doubt the PKB sensitivity when swiping is an issue despite what one or two people have stated to the contrary in this thread. BlackBerry Mobile Technical Support acknowledges it does. To what extent I have no idea, but there are a number of us that are discussing this issue here in this thread, and others that have posted about it in other threads. As was mentioned, perhaps my KEY2 is defective... but that would also indicate the other KEY2 owners here dealing with this issue also have defective devices.

It is not very reassuring, based on comments by @Smokeaire, that either sending in your device for repair or getting a refurbished replacement, this PKB sensitivity issue will be resolved. Clearly that wasn't the case for Smokaire unfortunately.

I fully understand how a replacement device is handled with regard to a monetary hold charge on my credit card. Once BBMo receives my former device and they are satisfied it hasn't had multiple flushes in the toilet and it is in proper condition that hold will be released.

Until I get a response to my email from BBMo technical Support I will hang tight. My KEY2 functions perfectly, except for the PKB sensitivity issue, and performs all the functions I require from a smartphone. I absolutely love the KEY2!!!

Whether I get a refurbished device or a new device remains to be seen if I go that route. As I mentioned, I definitely don't want a KEY2 that has the space bar issue. However, I would want a guarantee the replacement device won't have the PKB sensitivity issue. Sometimes warranty or replacements are handled differently in any given situation. I own and ride a few Triumph motorcycles and have for a great number of years. On more than one occasion after one of my motorcycles is out of warranty and I've had an issue, Triumph has stepped up and provided me a "Goodwill Warranty" repair.

Bob
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    02-11-19 06:04 PM
    There is no doubt the PKB sensitivity when swiping is an issue despite what one or two people have stated to the contrary in this thread. BlackBerry Mobile Technical Support acknowledges it does. To what extent I have no idea, but there are a number of us that are discussing this issue here in this thread, and others that have posted about it in other threads. As was mentioned, perhaps my KEY2 is defective... but that would also indicate the other KEY2 owners here dealing with this issue also have defective devices.

It is not very reassuring, based on comments by @Smokeaire, that either sending in your device for repair or getting a refurbished replacement, this PKB sensitivity issue will be resolved. Clearly that wasn't the case for Smokaire unfortunately.

I fully understand how a replacement device is handled with regard to a monetary hold charge on my credit card. Once BBMo receives my former device and they are satisfied it hasn't had multiple flushes in the toilet and it is in proper condition that hold will be released.

Until I get a response to my email from BBMo technical Support I will hang tight. My KEY2 functions perfectly, except for the PKB sensitivity issue, and performs all the functions I require from a smartphone. I absolutely love the KEY2!!!

Whether I get a refurbished device or a new device remains to be seen if I go that route. As I mentioned, I definitely don't want a KEY2 that has the space bar issue. However, I would want a guarantee the replacement device won't have the PKB sensitivity issue. Sometimes warranty or replacements are handled differently in any given situation. I own a ride and few Triumph motorcycles and have for a great number of years. On more than one occasion after one of my motorcycles is out of warranty and I've had an issue, Triumph has stepped up and provided me a "Goodwill Warranty" repair.

Bob
    I would have it "fixed". That way, they would likely put a new keyboard in your device.

That's better than rolling the dice on a refurb.
    02-11-19 06:07 PM
    I would have it "fixed". That way, they would likely put a new keyboard in your device.
    Unfortunately there is no guarantee that would be the case based on Smokeaire's experience.

Bob
    02-11-19 06:11 PM
    Unfortunately there is no guarantee that would be the case based on Smokeaire's experience.

Bob
    Of course, you can also grab a new keyboard and DIY.

https://www.esourceparts.ca/blackber...iABEgIoNPD_BwE
    02-11-19 06:14 PM

Not an option that I feel I should consider... I purchased a new KEY2 in October and I have a one year warranty from BlackBerry Mobile. I believe they have an obligation to honor their warranty and provide me with a device that is as advertised and free from defects.

Bob
    02-11-19 06:30 PM

Not an option that I feel I should consider... I purchased a new KEY2 in October and I have a one year warranty from BlackBerry Mobile. I believe they have an obligation to honor their warranty and provide me with a device that is as advertised and free from defects. Bob
    Not a bad idea though who's to say that the issue is in fact the keyboard, the keyboard assembly, wiring or software and that's where we need support from the heavy hitters here! (i.e @conite). Please help us understand what causes this issue (use your connections please) so that we can be more informed when going about mitigating each case.

I have tested no less than 5 devices by now, all of which failed.
    Bob80220 and anon(10387168) like this.
    02-11-19 06:35 PM

I have tested no less than 5 devices by now, all of which failed.
    And I have played with well over a dozen early builds with absolutely no hint of this issue. This is what is so perplexing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    02-11-19 06:50 PM
    And I have played with well over a dozen early builds with absolutely no hint of this issue. This is what is so perplexing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    That's what frustrate me over and over again with this issue.

I believe what you are saying and therefore try as best as I can to land a device that isn't affected, to a point where I keep buying new devices but I keep failing, why?
    02-11-19 06:52 PM
    That's what frustrate me over and over again with this issue.

I believe what you are saying and therefore try as best as I can to land a device that isn't affected, to a point where I keep buying new devices but I keep failing, why?
    This inexorably keeps sending me back to the typing style explanation. If it's not that, then we are jointly experiencing a statistical improbability on the scale of winning 5 lotteries in a row.
    02-11-19 06:55 PM
    This inexorably keeps sending me back to the typing style explanation. If it's not that, then we are jointly experiencing a statistical improbability on the scale of winning 5 lotteries in a row.
    Totally! And if that is the case indeed, should we accept "typing style" as "you are holding it wrong"?
    02-11-19 06:56 PM
    Totally! And if that is the case indeed, should we accept "typing style" as "you are holding it wrong"?
    It depends how far an outlier the style is (and ultimately, how many people are affected). I can only imagine how frustrated the BBMo support team must be not being able to reproduce it themselves, which I would unlikely be able to either. What to do?
    02-11-19 07:02 PM
    I have tried adjusting my typing style, the same I have used since 2005 on BlackBerry devices, and I still get erratic/inconsistent swiping of predicted words. I have been very deliberate with my thumb positioning and swiping technique. Unfortunately I am still experiencing the need to swipe multiple times to insert a selected word or I get the incorrect word.

I can appreciate the typing style theory but despite my attempts to be thoughtful, deliberate, and be fully aware of my thumb positioning, I still am affected with the PKB sensitivity issue.

Bob
    02-11-19 07:04 PM
    It depends how far an outlier the style is (and ultimately, how many people are affected). I can only imagine how frustrated the BBMo support team must be not being able to reproduce it themselves, which I would unlikely be able to either. What to do?
    I would go crazy, I already am...but they were able to reproduce to which they issued a noticeable improvement with Jan update and if "typing style" is the case, please, by all means, tell us how to type!

We issued videos that proved the case. I live in Los Angeles and BlackBerry Mobile has an office in Orange County - heck if they just opened the door, be a little more open minded I would happily drive down there and show them, on my dime, no problems!
    02-11-19 07:06 PM
    If what you are saying @conite about typing style being a possible contributing factor has merit... if my typing style was something for me to look at then why wouldn't BlackBerry Mobile Technical Support make mention of that based on the 2 videos I sent them?

Bob
    Last edited by Bob80220; 02-11-19 at 07:38 PM.
    02-11-19 07:12 PM
    BlackBerry has most definitely reproduced the issue, or how in the heck would you explain a substantial fix and a Playstore App moved to a system app? Come on guys, don't get me going! Plus umpteen emails with assurances that BBMo were working on a fix, posted here no less. So, with all due respect, when we ask for support from our admin members, it really makes no difference if you personally are not affected. What does matter is having your members supported, or what's the point of this forum? I was a member back in the heyday of CB, and it was not like this! Cheers,
    RK_BB, TheBond, Bob80220 and 1 others like this.
    02-11-19 07:46 PM
    BlackBerry has most definitely reproduced the issue, or how in the heck would you explain a substantial fix and a Playstore App moved to a system app? Come on guys, don't get me going! Plus umpteen emails with assurances that BBMo were working on a fix, posted here no less. So, with all due respect, when we ask for support from our admin members, it really makes no difference if you personally are not affected. What does matter is having your members supported, or what's the point of this forum? I was a member back in the heyday of CB, and it was not like this! Cheers,
    Amen!
    anon(10387168) and Bob80220 like this.
    02-11-19 07:48 PM
    Amen!
    I would prefer to have everybody that is affected with this PKB issue say... Hallelujah!!!

Bob
    TheBond and anon(10387168) like this.
    02-11-19 07:58 PM
    Moving the app to the system folder is meaningless and has absolutely no technical affect. It's ONLY an organizational/packaging decision.

They don't need to reproduce the error in order to provide some relief - just like you don't have to have double typing on your device to enhance the algorithm to reduce it. So, introducing an improvement does not imply that BBMo technicians are necessarily seeing the same thing as you are.

Are you implying I'm not supportive on this or other device issues? I'm grasping at straws and trying to come up with ideas as much as the next guy.
    02-11-19 08:52 PM
2,521 ... 4748495051 ...