I haven't had a lot of time today to hammer out emails and texts but this is what I'm currently experiencing after the update. The swiping/flicking of words seems better but I'm not totally convinced or if I'm simply hoping it is. It still is not as smooth and consistent/accurate as my PRIV or former BlackBerry devices that I do know. I need more time on the PKB to really know but the PKB when swiping/flicking is still far from acceptable. At least for me... I'm a one thumber and I still find the PKB overly sensitive and thumb position is very critical to swipe/flick the word I want to insert.

Yes, the BlackBerry Keyboard app does not appear in the "Apps and Notifications" but it does still show in Google Play. I'm showing the December 6 Beta version 3.4.1.16282 installed.

As I mentioned previously not related to the PKB I am not experiencing the WiFi connection issue so that appears to be resolved.

As I am typing this post I'm still experiencing the PKB sensitivity and inconsistency in selecting words to swipe/flick... ������

Bob
    I totally agree with flicking. I don't have an issue with the space bar, but the flicking can be more time consuming than it should be. Three flicks to get a word on the screen is not acceptable. My PRIV was great with flicking. I miss that consistency.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    01-30-19 08:16 PM
    I haven't had a lot of time today to hammer out emails and texts but this is what I'm currently experiencing after the update. The swiping/flicking of words seems better but I'm not totally convinced or if I'm simply hoping it is. It still is not as smooth and consistent/accurate as my PRIV or former BlackBerry devices that I do know. I need more time on the PKB to really know but the PKB when swiping/flicking is still far from acceptable. At least for me... I'm a one thumber and I still find the PKB overly sensitive and thumb position is very critical to swipe/flick the word I want to insert.

Yes, the BlackBerry Keyboard app does not appear in the "Apps and Notifications" but it does still show in Google Play. I'm showing the December 6 Beta version 3.4.1.16282 installed.

As I mentioned previously not related to the PKB I am not experiencing the WiFi connection issue so that appears to be resolved.

As I am typing this post I'm still experiencing the PKB sensitivity and inconsistency in selecting words to swipe/flick... 😓

Bob
    I totally agree with flicking. I don't have an issue with the space bar, but the flicking can be more time consuming than it should be. Three flicks to get a word on the screen is not acceptable. My PRIV was great with flicking. I miss that consistency.
    01-30-19 08:16 PM
    Yes agreed, for me, the word flick is the opposite, still too sensitive, better, but still an issue. As for sym popping up, it's fixed, hovering from space bar, fixed. Hopefully we all report back to BBMo and our open cases to maintain pressure for a fully satisfactory solution! As a side note, for those of us who were heavily affected by this bug, it is night and day, a pleasure, again, to type on. Cheers,
    01-30-19 08:27 PM
    As I mentioned previously, I never had this PKB issue with my previous BlackBerry devices and I've had them all but the Passport going back to 2005. I spent 3 years with my PRIV before getting my KEY2 and the swiping/flicking of words was flawless for me. Of course all of these BlackBerry devices were produced by BlackBerry and now we are dealing with a BlackBerry device in name only. TCL/BBMo are manufacturing these PKB KEYone's and KEY2's so the unfortunate reality is we are working with their BlackBerry PKB devices and not the authentic BlackBerry devices.

It seems clear to me that TCL/BBMo has some work to do getting their PKB BlackBerry devices up to the standard a number of us expect and are accustomed to. In my opinion we shouldn't have to experience a downgrade with our typing experience on a BlackBerry PKB device.

TCL/BBMo needs to get their technical team working on getting the PKB issues resolved... Bottom line.

Bob
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    01-30-19 09:47 PM
    As I mentioned previously, I never had this PKB issue with my previous BlackBerry devices and I've had them all but the Passport going back to 2005. I spent 3 years with my PRIV before getting my KEY2 and the swiping/flicking of words was flawless for me. Of course all of these BlackBerry devices were produced by BlackBerry and now we are dealing with a BlackBerry device in name only. TCL/BBMo are manufacturing these PKB KEYone's and KEY2's so the unfortunate reality is we are working with their BlackBerry PKB devices and not the authentic BlackBerry devices.

It seems clear to me that TCL/BBMo has some work to do getting their PKB BlackBerry devices up to the standard a number of us expect and are accustomed to. In my opinion we shouldn't have to experience a downgrade with our typing experience on a BlackBerry PKB device.

TCL/BBMo needs to get their technical team working on getting the PKB issues resolved... Bottom line.

Bob
    Keep in mind that it would seem the vast majority of folks are having no problems with the keyboards - myself included.

So is this actually a systematic engineering issue, or is this simply an outlier QA event? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    01-30-19 10:02 PM
    Keep in mind that it would seem the vast majority of folks are having no problems with the keyboards - myself included.

So is this actually a systematic engineering issue, or is this simply an outlier QA event? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    There are a good number of people here on CB, like myself, that are experiencing issues with the PKB... that is the reality of fact. In my case it's the PKB sensitivity and the inconsistency with swiping/flicking of suggested words. I've been trying to make changes/adjustments with my typing style to see if I can get this feature to perform better. Unfortunately it's hit or miss as I've become set it my ways over the years with my typing style and clearly what I'm accustomed to doesn't work well with the KEY2 PKB.

The KEY2 is a great device and the PKB is performing better after the update I installed today but it still needs some more attention. Hopefully TCL/ BBMo will continue to press on and get the PKB issues resolved to all of our satisfaction.

Bob
    01-30-19 10:16 PM

I think that K3 will give us the answer to that.
    01-30-19 10:17 PM
    Hopefully TCL/ BBMo will continue to press on and get the PKB issues resolved to all of our satisfaction.

Bob
    I think they will! Let's not forget that we still have the rumored keyboard app makeover in the pipeline....
    01-30-19 10:20 PM
    I think they will! Let's not forget that we still have the rumored keyboard app makeover in the pipeline....
    One can only hope...

Bob
    01-30-19 10:28 PM
    It could be an outlier production event, certainly, to a certain degree! However, an obvious general fix as we have experienced in the January update would signify a greater concern than just an outlier issue on the TCL/BBMo side! Most not having an issue is a problematic statement at best, you know this to be true @conite. It's all subjective, when video reviews themselves show the keyboard bug and it is chalked up to a glitch, then yes, mass expectations will not report a problem that they have no empirical reference to. I truly love my BlackBerry, I can not however fan a product that I have known and worked with since 2006 and tote it as a worthy successor until it is! It is not yet, you know this to be true! We are all hopeful, that this incarnation of our beloved BlackBerry WILL become a worthy example of a business tool that we have come to admire, follow and buy, or not!
    Bob80220 and RK_BB like this.
    01-30-19 10:30 PM
    There are a good number of people here on CB, like myself, that are experiencing issues with the PKB... that is the reality of fact.
    Yes, a "good number" (10?) of people are on CB (the top/only BBMo site in the world) discussing issues with the keyboard.

That still doesn't qualify as any type of statistical analysis, nor does it automatically lead to the conclusion that there is a major product-wide engineering issue.
    01-30-19 10:36 PM
    Yes, a "good number" (10?) of people are on CB (the top/only BBMo site in the world) discussing issues with the keyboard.

That still doesn't qualify as any type of statistical analysis.
    I know you have a job to do! I know you are extremely knowledgeable! I know you are trying to help build and defend brand! All of these traits are admirable! But to state minutia as fact, should be beneath you! 10 affected BlackBerry's! Wow, the sheer power 10 of us have is incredible! 10 affected units not only prompted a general update and global fix, but in essence drove the developers to change the Keyboard App to a System App! All of this done for a fringe issue! Man-O-man, I will be walking with a swagger tomorrow!
    RK_BB, Jake2826 and Bbfan1614 like this.
    01-30-19 10:46 PM
    I think that the morale of this whole saga is that regardless of the total affected devices / users BlackBerry Mobile and BlackBerry took this issue seriously as proven with Jan update. This means that they in fact identified the bug / issue otherwise they would have fixed absolutely nothing.

Whether or not we will see further improvement will be revealed with future updates and the supposed keyboard app makeover but one thing is for sure, they are aware and so long that the epidemic is within their control I am confident they will address it as once again, they have proven with Jan update.

Moreover, I developed more trust in them than I ever had before as at some point I lost it and thought that a fix / improvement will never actually come and their plan is to wing it until K3. They proved me wrong and that makes me happy and confident that we will see more and better products in the future.
    01-30-19 10:56 PM
    I know you have a job to do! I know you are extremely knowledgeable! I know you are trying to help build and defend brand! All of these traits are admirable! But to state minutia as fact, should be beneath you! 10 affected BlackBerry's! Wow, the sheer power 10 of us have is incredible! 10 affected units not only prompted a general update and global fix, but in essence drove the developers to change the Keyboard App to a system App! All of this done for a fringe issue! Man-O-man, I will be walking with a swagger tomorrow!
    I have no position or standing with BBMo, and have absolutely no obligation toward the brand. My opinions are my own.

I'm sure hundreds of people have keyboard complaints, but only around 10 are overtly discussing it here. The fact remains that this does not qualify as reliable metrics.

You may recall the screen lift problems on the initial batch of a few thousand KEYᵒⁿᵉs - and that literally blew this forum up for months. We are seeing nothing like that with this issue.

In any event, fixing bugs is what developers do. You may remember the MUCH more prevalent issue of double typing on the Q10 and Passport that was improved with a software algorithm.

Having the keyboard app reside in system space instead of user space is completely irrelevant. It's just a matter of expediency in packaging.
    Last edited by conite; 01-30-19 at 11:10 PM.
    01-30-19 10:58 PM
    I think that the morale of this whole saga is that regardless of the total affected devices / users BlackBerry Mobile and BlackBerry took this issue seriously as proven with Jan update. This means that they in fact identified the bug / issue otherwise they would have fixed absolutely nothing.

Whether or not we will see further improvement will be revealed with future updates and the supposed keyboard app makeover but one thing is for sure, they are aware and so long that the epidemic is within their control I am confident they will address it as once again, they have proven with Jan update.

Moreover, I developed more trust in them than I ever had before as at some point I lost it and thought that a fix / improvement will never actually come and their plan is to wing it until K3. They proved me wrong and that makes me happy and confident that we will see more and better products in the future.
    This also means, they can quite easily stuff it up with an update.
    01-30-19 10:59 PM

That still doesn't qualify as any type of statistical analysis, nor does it automatically lead to the conclusion that there is a major product-wide engineering issue.
    Yes, there are a small number here on CB that are discussing the PKB issue however I feel this affects a considerable amount of KEY2 users other than just us. CB is the top BlackBerry site to discuss BlackBerry devices but not every BlackBerry user participates here on this Forum.

I think it's not unreasonable to assume some new users of the KEY2 are not aware how the swiping/flicking of suggested words should work without the issue we make mention of. Most of us are long time BlackBerry users so we are well accustomed with how this feature should work efficiently.

In any event, I'm happy for you Conite your PKB is without issue when it comes to the swiping/flicking of suggested words. Those of us who are affected with this can only hope TCL/BBMo will resolve this real issue in short order. It seems they did make some attempt with this update but as I mentioned previously they still have more work to do. That being a said, it seems evident TCL/BBMo acknowledges they are aware of this issue others, like myself, are experiencing.

Bob
    01-30-19 11:00 PM
    I have no position or standing with BBMo, and have absolutely no obligation toward the brand. My opinions are my own.

I'm sure hundreds of people have keyboard complaints, but only around 10 are overtly discussing it here. The fact remains that this does not qualify as reliable metrics.

You may recall the screen lift problems on the initial batch of a few thousand KEYᵒⁿᵉs - and that literally blew this forum up for months. We are seeing nothing like that with this issue.

In any event, fixing bugs is what developers do. You may remember the MUCH more prevalent issue of double typing on the Q10 and Passport that was improved with a software algorithm.

Having the camera app reside in system space instead of user space is completely irrelevant.
    Camera App? I'm actually happy with the camera now! I was referring to the Keyboard App. The liftgate issue was tangible, physical and non-deniable! This issue is much more subtle, and yet, it was addressed globally, you must acknowledge that much? It's not a fringe issue, it has very little exposure on here and other forums, yet, it prompted a global fix response! Do you for a moment, since you state you are not directly benefiting from this Forum/TCL or BBMo, think that perhaps, just perhaps, TCL/BBMo knew and know this to be a bigger potential issue than our 10 members put forward here?
    Bob80220 likes this.
    01-30-19 11:09 PM
    Camera App? I'm actually happy with the camera now! I was referring to the Keyboard App. The liftgate issue was tangible, physical and non-deniable! This issue is much more subdued, and yet, it was addressed globally, you must acknowledge that much? It's not a fringe issue, it has very little exposure on here and other forums, yet, it prompted a global fix response! Do you for a moment, think that perhaps, just perhaps, TCL/BBMo knew and know this to be a bigger potential issue than our 10 members put forward here?
    I meant keyboard - I was just thinking camera because they moved that app some time ago too.

There is a keyboard team that does nothing but squash bugs and develop new features. They address problems as they come up, and I'm sure they got all of the support tickets filed by the folks in this very thread.
    01-30-19 11:17 PM
    I meant keyboard - I was just thinking camera because they moved that app some time ago too.

There is a keyboard team that does nothing but squash bugs and develop new features. They address problems as they come up, and I'm sure they got all of the support tickets filed by the folks in this very thread.
    Well, we shall agree to disagree with respect! By the way, I did work as a signing officer for 2 major Canadian Corporations, and I can unequivocally tell you that no major change is ever implemented for the minority, let alone a small ragtag group, ever! So, if BS (Bachelor of Science), is the new norm, then so be it. But you run a risk today, the consumer is much more educated, perhaps not as sophisticated, but educated! Me and my 9 colleagues will still be walking with a swagger tomorrow though! Cheers,
    Last edited by Crusader03; 01-31-19 at 01:05 AM.
    01-30-19 11:27 PM
    Bob
    On my phone, and after the ABO927 patch, the kb app appears in
    "Apps and Notifications" as 3.4.1.16301, but you need to toogle on "Show System" to see it.

Before the update it was kb version 3.4.1.16282 and it was under "Show System"
    anon(10387168) and RK_BB like this.
    01-30-19 11:31 PM
    Here are screen shots of what is showing for BlackBerry Keyboard in "Apps and Notifications" and the Google Play Store.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Physical Keyboard use randomly activates Pointer/Cursor Mode issue.-26299.jpg  
    01-31-19 07:02 AM
    This is from Apps and Notifications.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Physical Keyboard use randomly activates Pointer/Cursor Mode issue.-26298.jpg  
    01-31-19 07:03 AM
    This is from Apps and Notifications.

Bob
    Correct. The version that came with the recent update is newer than the one available currently in Play Store. This happens regularly with many BlackBerry apps.
    01-31-19 07:10 AM

If this is the case, then those of us who are still experiencing issues with the PKB after this recent update should open up a new case ticket with BlackBerry Custome Support. As in my case, and others it appears, who are still experiencing issues with the sensitivity issue and inconsistency with swiping suggested words.

Bob
    Smokeaire likes this.
    01-31-19 07:56 AM
    If this is the case, then those of us who are still experiencing issues with the PKB after this recent update should open up a new case ticket with BlackBerry Custome Support. As in my case, and others it appears, who are still experiencing issues with the sensitivity issue and inconsistency with swiping suggested words.

Bob
    Makes sense to me.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    01-31-19 07:59 AM
2,521 ... 4142434445 ...