Well, done! Hope is all that remains before all is lost! Cheers,
    10-04-18 03:43 PM
    I'm really hoping Blackberry can fix or mitigate this issue - everything else is really good with my Key2 [even the Camera is alright, once we're in good lighting :-) ]. I have not had any slow down and the Key2 is a joy to use when the keyboard is not malfunctioning!!
    anon(10387168) and Smokeaire like this.
    10-04-18 05:41 PM
    Pursuant to posts # 253 & 256, though not the outcome I had hoped for I can confirm that my replacement device most certainly has the exact same issue!

Since reproducing this behaviour cannot be done in one way or another it is difficult to say whether software update changes anything however it does FEEL (subjective) like the issue lessened after I updated the keyboard software from the version that came pre-installed to the latest Beta version.

Once again, here is what was done so far:

1. Keyboard replacement
    2. Software update
    3. Examined different PRD's, device region, source and color, single / dial sim
    4. Examined typing styles
    5. Attempted to identify a repeating pattern (reproduce)
    6. Device replacement

All these seem to have not solved the issue and like @Smokeaire mentioned, none of this is an indication of a software or hardware issue.

At this point, I am pretty convinced that I can reproduce this behaviour on any device and customers either don't complain, think THEY are doing something wrong or have gestures disabled altogether.

The one positive I can draw at this point is manufacturing Consistency; whether defective or not, if it's a hardware issue then we can tell the device is manufactured consistently, at least as far as this issues is concerned.
    TheBond, Smokeaire and bobmoley like this.
    10-05-18 11:26 PM
    Pursuant to posts # 253 & 256, though not the outcome I had hoped for I can confirm that my replacement device most certainly has the exact same issue!

Since reproducing this behaviour cannot be done in one way or another it is difficult to say whether software update changes anything however it does FEEL (subjective) like the issue lessened after I updated the keyboard software from the version that came pre-installed to the latest Beta version.

1. Keyboard replacement
    2. Software update
    6. Device replacement

All these seem to have not solved the issue and like @Smokeaire mentioned, none of this is an indication of a software or hardware issue.

At this point, I am pretty convinced that I can reproduce this behaviour on any device and customers either don't complain, think THEY are doing something wrong or have gestures disabled altogether.

The one positive I can draw at this point is manufacturing Consistency; whether defective or not, if it's a hardware issue then we can tell the device is manufactured consistently, at least as far as this issues is concerned.
    I'm beginning to believe it's more of an issue or "defect" with the sensor for a couple of reasons. First this issue isn't solely restricted to the cursor mode, the swipe up word placement has problems as well. The other reason is the cursor mode can be activated by just hovering the thumb or finger just above the keys without actually touching the keys. This has happened several times.
    Of course the software might have something to contribute to this. Time will tell.
    I will add that my replacement phone keyboard seems slightly better built than my first Key², but not better functioning.
    Last edited by Smokeaire; 10-06-18 at 07:34 AM.
    10-06-18 07:10 AM
    I will add that my replacement phone keyboard seems slightly better built than my first Key², but not better functioning.
    Same! June vs. July build; I can tell the difference as the keyboard feels more "in place" if that make sense.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    10-06-18 09:06 AM
    Same! June vs. July build; I can tell the difference as the keyboard feels more "in place" if that make sense.
    "In place" is the perfect way to describe it. I noticed that right away. So I was happy about that even though I didn't have any complaints about the build/fit of my first KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    10-06-18 09:15 AM
    @Smokeaire is Irai aware that your replacement didn't work?

I will notify my supervisor on Monday. We should probably link case #'s. Please PM me yours if you like, I will reply with mine so they can cross reference.
    10-06-18 09:18 AM
    I have the July build, so can't tell whether there's any difference between previous builds. The quality on mine was always better. It looks like the issue might be worse before the July build then.

BTW I have now updated my keyboard using Beta tester option. I feel the cursor mode has improved somewhat IMO, although I can still use the patterns above to trigger them. Perhaps I'm seeing things, it's too late here. Lol
    10-06-18 09:21 AM

I will notify my supervisor on Monday. We should probably link case #'s. Please PM me yours if you like, I will reply with mine so they can cross reference.
    Yes. I emailed her/him right away and she/him responded within minutes. The case number is the same. I don't have it right now. Irai also said that they have several phones they are looking at. So maybe some non-Crackberry users also complained and sent in phones for replacement or they are just going to look at phones they already have.
    10-06-18 09:23 AM

Curious. How is your Supervisor involved? Are you a secret BBMo employee?
    10-06-18 09:33 AM
    Curious. How is your Supervisor involved? Are you a secret BBMo employee?
    "My supervisor" as in the rep handling the case being a Supervisor. They are excellent by the way and their manager should know that! Hopefully they read this.
    10-06-18 09:35 AM
    I have now updated my keyboard using Beta tester option. I feel the cursor mode has improved somewhat IMO, although I can still use the patterns above to trigger them. Perhaps I'm seeing things, it's too late here. Lol
    You are seeing straight! There is definitely an improvement between the versions and this is also something we should communicate to BlackBerry Mobile @Smokeaire provided you can tell the same.
    10-06-18 09:45 AM
    You are seeing straight! There is definitely an improvement between the versions and this is also something we should communicate to BlackBerry Mobile @Smokeaire provided you can tell the same.
    I've been running the beta versions for the last several months. After the last update which was a while ago I posted on the app comments section that I was hoping the update would improve the issue but didn't. So unless there is an update released in the last day or so that I have yet to receive all or most of my issue reporting has been with Beta software. I reported same to Irai.
    10-06-18 09:51 AM
    Well, that explains why some here have made me feel like such a bloak for defending my Key2 spacebar. I have the July build. Lol.
    10-06-18 10:34 AM
    Off topic but the replacement device I received is certainly defective:

1. Double tap to wake doesn't work
    2. The screen temperature is visibly warmer with no way to adjust

It's a shame since the keyboard seem to have been been assembled better.

How do these devices pass QC and gets shipped to customers?
    10-06-18 12:54 PM

1. Keyboard replacement
    2. Software update
    6. Device replacement

Given all that is happening with the Key2's keyboard, I'm wondering if TCL/ BBMo knew about these keyboard issues and as such choose not to include the gestures in the new Key2 LE. It's just a thought but...

I don't see any other reason why they didn't include gestures on the Key2 LE (yes they want to reduce the cost to build) but the Key2 LE's carbon plastic body, lower spec chip etc. would perfectly justify a cheaper (light key2 LE) version - while keeping the gestures.

Returning to a physical keyboard without gestures is a major step back - many BB users already get taunted for using a physical keyboard (but I always respond by showing off the gesture features).
    10-06-18 02:24 PM
    Given all that is happening with the Key2's keyboard, I'm wondering if TCL/ BBMo knew about these keyboard issues and as such choose not to include the gestures in the new Key2 LE. It's just a thought but...

I don't see any other reason why they didn't include gestures on the Key2 LE (yes they want to reduce the cost to build) but the Key2 LE's carbon plastic body, lower spec chip etc. would perfectly justify a cheaper (light key2 LE) version - while keeping the gestures.

Returning to a physical keyboard without gestures is a major step back - many BB users already get taunted for using a physical keyboard (but I always respond by showing off the gesture features).
    I cannot agree more and made the same assumptions as well.
    bobmoley likes this.
    10-06-18 02:27 PM

That is the shi*s! I assume another replacement will be in order. I hate that our phones have to be replaced with refurbished phones and full replacement charge hold is applied. Essentially buying a used phone for full price. Gripes my craw.
    And you are absolutely correct about the lack of quality control and testing of these refurbished phones. One would think there would be extensive testing done with these phones before sending those out.
    I hope you get a good one this time.
    RK_BB likes this.
    10-06-18 04:21 PM

That's the very reason I don't want mine to be replaced. Who knows what else it'll be plagued with. I can probably live with the Pointer Mode.

I hope you've got your Double tap to wake enabled.
    10-06-18 04:23 PM
    I hope you've got your Double tap to wake enabled.
    Yup. Enabled!
    10-06-18 06:47 PM
    Yup. Enabled!
    Guess then there must be an issue with the proximity sensor. The phone doesn't wake up if the sensor is either blocked or is directly under bright light (eg sunlight). I remember reading about it ages ago with phones that offered this functionality.

Edit: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...shine-1116344/
    10-06-18 07:13 PM
    Guess then there must be an issue with the proximity sensor. The phone doesn't wake up if the sensor is either blocked or is directly under bright light (eg sunlight). I remember reading about it ages ago with phones that offered this functionality.

Edit: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...shine-1116344/
    It was compared 1:1 with my current device under the same conditions...not working. That's alright, it's shipping back on Monday....
    10-06-18 07:23 PM
    Anyone that's affected should try either of the following:

1. If your Developer options is turned On then turn it Off.

Or

2. If your Developer options is turned Off then turn it On & then proceed to turning all your animations Off

Either option should immediately give you a significantly improved experience. While it's not entirely gone, @TheBond, @Crusader03 and I find it much more tolerable. Arguably, Option 2 is muting the "bug" even more than option 1 does.

If you find any of the above to be true then this strengthen my opinion that this is a software related "bug", not hardware.

Please try and report back!

@TheBond Thank you for the direction!
    10-09-18 12:38 AM
    Latest update:

"We are still working on the case. Tomorrow Wednesday 10/10/2018 we have a meeting with Blackberry and will continue to discuss this issue."
    So it looks like it has escalated to further up the ladder.
    Jake2826 and bobmoley like this.
    10-09-18 03:42 PM
    Latest update:

"We are still working on the case. Tomorrow Wednesday 10/10/2018 we have a meeting with Blackberry and will continue to discuss this issue."
    So it looks like it has escalated to further up the ladder.
    Absolutely! I have the exact same feedback from the supervisor working my case.

You call be rest assured that all the comments made in this thread so far were clearly communicated to them in writing as we as verbally.
    10-09-18 03:46 PM
2,521 ... 1011121314 ...