So how do you disable swipe gestures?
    Settings-->System-->Languages & Input-->Keyboard-->Physical Keyboard

Toggle off 'Physical Keyboard Gestures'
    SteveNoza likes this.
    10-01-18 08:24 PM
    OK, how do I report an issue to them? I have both the spacebar problem, the sym downswipe problem and the odd double character problem from what I presumed was finger sliding.
    You can use the support app on your device or call BlackBerry Mobile Care in your region:

https://blackberrymobile.com/hotline...ervice-center/
    10-01-18 09:18 PM
    Game on! Looks like my advanced exchange device is shipping today.

I guess that by this weekend @Smokeaire and I should have some pretty definitive conclusions as by that point we have done the following:

1. Keyboard replacement
    2. Software update
    3. Examined different PRD's, device region, source and color
    4. Examined typing styles
    5. Attempted to identify a repeating pattern (reproduce)
    4. Device replacement

Can't wait! Hopefully we are putting this to bed this weekend.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    10-02-18 03:47 PM
    After my experience with the pkb replacement I will be greatly surprised if this issue will be solved with the Key² replacement arriving tomorrow. Kind of reminds me of the popular definition of insanity. However one can only hope of a determination of being sane.
    One thing I do know, this is the first and last time I pre-order a phone. I'll wait a month or two to let others discover the issues.
    Last edited by Smokeaire; 10-03-18 at 07:40 AM.
    10-03-18 05:45 AM
    I just received notice the replacement phone will arrive today, a day early. So I should have something to report tonight or in the am.
    RK_BB, anon(10387168) and TheBond like this.
    10-03-18 11:47 AM
    I have my replacement phone. I've spent some time setting up apps.
    Initial observation: The cursor issue is still here. The replacement is not a resolution to the problem. It really caused frustration when I was setting up my bank cards. Putting the account numbers in was very irritating because the cursor mode would pop up, screwing up the numbers. I had to do that several times.
    Unfortunately this in no way indicates the source of the problem. With two variables being the keyboard construction/design and the pkb software it will take BBMo some serious investigations to determine which it is. Not hopeful that it will be solved for the Key².
    10-03-18 05:50 PM
    Thanks for letting us know. Honestly I didn't expect a miracle but let's assume you got another device that had the issue. Perhaps you can jot down the build etc info as mentioned above and see if there's something common there.

Going to wait for @RK_BB now, since he found someone who didn't have the issue.
    10-03-18 05:54 PM
    Thanks for letting us know. Honestly I didn't expect a miracle but let's assume you got another device that had the issue. Perhaps you can jot down the build etc info as mentioned above and see if there's something common there.

Going to wait for @RK_BB now, since he found someone who didn't have the issue.
    Keep in mind I had the keyboard replaced in my original Key². So I doubt a build number or date will be of any real use.
    If BBMo finds it is the keyboard build they may never admit it since it would entail redesigning the keyboard and then replacing it for free, a recall that will never happen. The hope is it is a software issue and can be fixed with an update.
    10-03-18 06:13 PM
    It's so disappointing. Typing experience is actually better on KEYone and Priv.
    10-03-18 06:16 PM
    Keep in mind I had the keyboard replaced in my original Key². So I doubt a build number or date will be of any real use.
    If BBMo finds it is the keyboard build they may never admit it since it would entail redesigning the keyboard and then replacing it for free, a recall that will never happen. The hope is it is a software issue and can be fixed with an update.
    Yes but they may have sent you an old build / refurbished one. This could be more than a keyboard issue. It could be a circuit or smaller component that is used to assemble the device, perhaps on the main board.

Sine they're still trying to investigate the cause as we all know. I believe noting down the build etc might be worth it. Worst case, we know for sure it's not resolved in the latest builds.
    10-03-18 06:23 PM
    I am wondering if @Mark Cullum is aware of this thread
    10-03-18 08:26 PM
    I think this is a software issue as it didn't happen to me until the last update
    10-04-18 12:04 AM
    I think this is a software issue as it didn't happen to me until the last update
    That's a first!
    10-04-18 12:05 AM
    Or may be you're now used to thumb typing again and realized.

I actually never tested the device with the out of the box build. I installed it soon after setting up the device.

We're all hoping it's a software issue tbh
    10-04-18 12:28 AM
    I will quantify that by saying I have also enabled developer options, messed about with the settings a bit, installed and uninstalled Nova launcher and am using the Beta editions of the blackberry apps from the Play Store, so might not be the update itself necessarily but i know it has only been happening for the past 3-4 weeks max.
    I am on build ABE181
    Model BBF100-1
    10-04-18 02:13 AM
    Here are my build dates.
    Original Key²: 20180622
    Replacement Key²: 20180710

Also the cursor mode issue showed up during my entering of info setting up the phone. Updates hadn't been downloaded yet.
    10-04-18 05:46 AM
    If cursor mode is what is giving most people the problem, they should just add more granular controls to the gestures option so people who are having issues with cursor mode (or anything else) can turn the offending feature off selectively without losing other gesture functionality.
    bobmoley and SteveNoza like this.
    10-04-18 08:03 AM
    If cursor mode is what is giving most people the problem, they should just add more granular controls to the gestures option so people who are having issues with cursor mode (or anything else) can turn the offending feature off selectively without losing other gesture functionality.
    Yep, this has been mentioned above in this thread.
    My understanding is that it's very tricky to offer such granular level settings at the moment.
    10-04-18 08:04 AM
    Yep, this has been mentioned above in this thread.
    My understanding is that it's very tricky to offer such granular level settings at the moment.
    True, they probably would need to rebuild the OS because it's a system app. Might not see any changes until Pie.

LE anyone?
    bobmoley likes this.
    10-04-18 08:54 AM
    LE anyone?
    If the cursor mode bug already messes up your experience to a point where you disable it then effectively you already have an LE only you paid extra $200 for it...
    10-04-18 09:49 AM
    If the cursor mode bug already messes up your experience to a point where you disable it then effectively you already have an LE only you paid extra $200 for it...
    For me at least, this 'bug' seems to be invoked very occasionally / randomly only following two consecutive alternating touches (ie. two different areas of the keyboard, as opposed to two consecutive touches in the exact same location). If it is a bug, who knows how far back it goes and indeed whether or not it is related to a defect in the Key2 keyboard itself, or its physical design of deeper / projecting keys that is simply exacerbating a software glitch that has always been there?

Perhaps we are starting to witness the consequences of TCL assuming they can meddle with the keyboard design in *every single new model* without a commensurate degree of attention being paid to software development and customization...
    10-04-18 10:45 AM
    I am wondering if @Mark Cullum is aware of this thread
    Apparently my account still lives... but I haven't worked for BlackBerry for almost two years, and have never had my hands on a Key².
    It sounds like the touch sensor reports short losses of contact for what should be seen as touch held down, at least in particular regions of the keyboard.

There are various ways the keyboard team could try filtering, i.e. minimum touch up duration in a double tap, or minimum delay from a previous touch up to the first tap, delay after the second tap, excluded regions, etc...

If I was trying to characterize the touch sensor behaviour and could build the keyboard code myself, I'd just log from the keyboard if I had access to the code or debug options. Otherwise one could write a very simple app to log touch events.
    bobmoley likes this.
    10-04-18 11:47 AM
    Apparently my account still lives... but I haven't worked for BlackBerry for almost two years, and have never had my hands on a Key².
    It sounds like the touch sensor reports short losses of contact for what should be seen as touch held down, at least in particular regions of the keyboard.

There are various ways the keyboard team could try filtering, i.e. minimum touch up duration in a double tap, or minimum delay from a previous touch up to the first tap, delay after the second tap, excluded regions, etc...

If I was trying to characterize the touch sensor behaviour and could build the keyboard code myself, I'd just log from the keyboard if I had access to the code or debug options. Otherwise one could write a very simple app to log touch events.
    Thank you very much for your insight! We know BlackBerry is following this thread and this might give them a clue.

Would you estimate this to be more on the hardware side or software?
    10-04-18 11:51 AM

Mark,
    Thanks very much for your input.
    I hope you don't mind but I sent your suggestions to the contact at BBMo I've been in communications with about this issue.

Every bit helps.

I just received a reply and your suggestions have been sent to the team working on this.
    bobmoley likes this.
    10-04-18 01:02 PM
    I just received a reply and your suggestions have been sent to the team working on this.
    That's awesome!
    10-04-18 02:03 PM
2,521 ... 910111213 ...