Don't even get me started.....or I will start writing threads that can put anyone to sleep for days!
    I hear you, I for one would not be bored! But , another time and place. Cheers,
    09-24-18 06:33 PM
    Alright people! Here is what I was told by BlackBerry Mobile supervisor just now:

They were able to reproduce the issue which is great!

They indicated that it happens when the thumbs hover on the bottom row of keys just above the spacebar (Z, X, C etc.) in which case they consider it a user case rather than a bug.

Whether we agree or not with how they decide to treat this issue I told them that I would try and avoid hovering above the bottom row of keys and see if the problem persists and I have to say, it doesn't! At least so far.

That doesn't mean that sensitivity doesn't require adjustment on their part, it just means that we now know what area of the keyboard causes it and we can avoid it.

I was also requested to send a video of the random SYM keyboard activation which hopefully @Smokeaire will be able to make but I have to say that I am pretty sure it's the same issue as my SYM keyboard isn't popping as I avoid hovering the bottom keys.

In case they can't make adjustments, they should certainly make a video that officially tell users to avoid hovering the bottom row as they type.

Last note, this issue does not exist on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

Please report your findings!
    krazyatom likes this.
    09-25-18 03:20 PM
    Good to know. However, how does one avoid it? In my case, that's where my thumbs have always sat on all BlackBerry's. I can't be the only one, can I?
    09-25-18 03:59 PM
    Good to know. However, how does one avoid it? In my case, that's where my thumbs have always sat on all BlackBerry's. I can't be the only one, can I?
    You are not! Anyone on this thread most likely have the same habit.

I find it pretty easy to avoid once I put my mind to it; I can't say exactly how but generally I simply avoid touching the keys (all of them) as I think about the next word to key in or when I am busy correcting text, which is pretty much when this "bug" happens.

As I mentioned, user error or not, we know what the deal is and unless BlackBerry make this part of their "user manual" we should certainly go after keyboard sensitivity adjustment.
    09-25-18 04:13 PM
    Agreed, this is primarily a sensitivity issue. I will in the short term modify my typing style, although that heavily degrades the PKB experience. If this cannot be corrected with updates, then not only will there be no K3 for me, but selling my beloved K2 will be in order.
    Smokeaire and TheBond like this.
    09-25-18 04:19 PM
    Alright people! Here is what I was told by BlackBerry Mobile supervisor just now:

They were able to reproduce the issue which is great!

They indicated that it happens when the thumbs hover on the bottom row of keys just above the spacebar (Z, X, C etc.) in which case they consider it a user case rather than a bug.

Whether we agree or not with how they decide to treat this issue I told them that I would try and avoid hovering above the bottom row of keys and see if the problem persists and I have to say, it doesn't! At least so far.

That doesn't mean that sensitivity doesn't require adjustment on their part, it just means that we now know what area of the keyboard causes it and we can avoid it.

I was also requested to send a video of the random SYM keyboard activation which hopefully @Smokeaire will be able to make but I have to say that I am pretty sure it's the same issue as my SYM keyboard isn't popping as I avoid hovering the bottom keys.

In case they can't make adjustments, they should certainly make a video that officially tell users to avoid hovering the bottom row as they type.

Last note, this issue does not exist on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

Please report your findings!
    Thanks for the update but I'm just trying to understand the use case or feature to hover over the bottom row. It was always meant to happen with double tap. And why is it over the last row and not top? I think it's just a goofy explanation since they could replicate it too now.

Besides that, if it is a feature, then why doesn't it happen all the time when we hover over it. Guess then the feature is broken and it's a bug either way.

Similarly, the SYM activation is also triggered but BlackBerry team didn't explain that as a feature to you as yet. Perhaps after finding the video they might also term it as a feature too. It's just BS IMO that support team has to live with day in day out, to close the ticket. It's 100% an issue, hardware (poor design) or software (sensitivity related), we don't know.
    09-25-18 05:00 PM
    It's a case of 'You're holding it wrong'. Hold Different™️
    09-25-18 05:04 PM
    Hahaha Bla1ze, you kill me! Lol
    09-25-18 05:07 PM
    Thanks for the update but I'm just trying to understand the use case or feature to hover over the bottom row.......It's 100% an issue, hardware (poor design) or software (sensitivity related), we don't know.
    Agreed! And let's not forget, this issue does not exist on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    09-25-18 05:07 PM
    Agreed! And let's not forget, this issue does not exist on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    Exactly! The K1 and it's grandfather the Passport also did not have this issue. What worries me is if they think this is acceptable and do not focus on an update fix.
    09-25-18 05:15 PM
    .....What worries me is if they think this is acceptable and do not focus on an update fix.
    I am with you. Let's hope that they don't find it acceptable and keep reminding them of those facts!
    09-25-18 05:20 PM
    Given today's findings (post # 152 above) here is another thought on this:

I don't know how many people use cases vs. not but I assume that most do in which case resting your thumbs on the keys is probably less natural than if there is no case on the device and therefore the reason there may not be as many "affected" users.

I do not use a case and find that "hovering" is somewhat a way of securing the device in place as I type.

I wonder if any of you that experience this issue have a case or not.
    Kraeutermann likes this.
    09-25-18 06:15 PM
    I use her Naked. Lol
    09-25-18 07:13 PM
    For me it happens randomly anywhere on the keyboard, not just the bottom.
    09-25-18 10:53 PM
    For me it happens randomly anywhere on the keyboard, not just the bottom.
    I concur though it seems the lower row of keys are the biggest offenders though so try and avoid hovering at all on any surface area of the keyboard.
    09-25-18 11:34 PM
    I concur though it seems the lower row of keys are the biggest offenders though so try and avoid hovering at all on any surface area of the keyboard.
    Lol. I reckon the dead space and active keys causes it.
    This wasn't that obvious in KeyOne, because now we have the division / frets between rows. It kinda tricks the system to double tap or swipe down gesture for SYM.

Spacebar is also a dead key since it doesn't offer swiping gestures, hence it magnifies actions around it.
    09-25-18 11:42 PM
    .....dead space....
    Spacebar is also a dead key....
    Other than the spacebar, what areas and keys are "dead"?
    09-25-18 11:47 PM
    Other than the spacebar, what areas and keys are "dead"?
    The frets are dead. The larger space between rows may cause the false reading by the capacitive keyboard and thus we get this issue.

I'm just thinking out loud.

Keys wise, I think only Spacebar is dead with no capacitive gesture. You can double tap on each key to verify that.
    09-25-18 11:51 PM
    The frets are dead. The larger space between rows may cause the false reading by the capacitive keyboard and thus we get this issue.

I'm just thinking out loud.

Keys wise, I think only Spacebar is dead with no capacitive gesture. You can double tap on each key to verify that.
    Got it. That's an interesting theory.
    09-25-18 11:52 PM
    I created a video that document the random activation of the SYM keyboard as well as the cursor navigation bar; note below time stamps to fast forward to each occurrence:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/caB6TJQAqRWCA2Rn7

00:24 Cursor Navigtion Bar
    00:31 Cursor Navigtion Bar
    00:40 Cursor Navigtion Bar
    02:16 Cursor Navigtion Bar
    04:32 Cursor Navigtion Bar
    05:25 Cursor Navigtion Bar
    06:41 SYM Keyboard
    06:50 SYM Keyboard
    07:07 SYM Keyboard
    07:17 Cursor Navigtion Bar
    07:24 Cursor Navigtion Bar
    07:27 Cursor Navigtion Bar
    07:35 SYM Keyboard
    08:07 SYM Keyboard – Intentional
    Smokeaire likes this.
    09-26-18 01:31 AM
    It's a case of 'You're holding it wrong'. Hold Different
    That was a good one @Bla1ze
    It did get me thinking that if that is essentially what BBMo ends up telling us and finds no fault in the software this will be the last Blackberry phone I'm going to spend my hard earned $$$ on.
    I'm willing to be patient and wait a week or so for their reply. I've reported it, had a replacement key board, reported that wasn't a fix, and received a reply that this issue has been escalated up to Tier 3. I'm good with that.....for now.
    As far as I'm concerned the integrity of BBMo is on the line here.
    09-26-18 08:56 AM
    FWIW, what Launchers are you guys using? I was testing out the Microsoft Launcher for a few days and encountered the super annoying 'hyper-sensitive" keyboard where it sent my homescreens flying all over the place in seeming random directions. I especially encountered it when my thumbs would overlap or slightly touch the keypad when trying to access the speed key / keyboard shortcuts from the homescreen. Not good. The keyboard 'mini-menu' that pops up above the navigation keys also seemed to come up randomly when trying to activate your speed key / keyboard shortcuts.

Since then I went back to BlackBerry launcher (got fed up with having to use the speed key ALL THE TIME) and the sensitivity issues and weird glitches completely disappeared. So I tend to think the issue may be app based.

One other thing I have noticed with the Key2 is vertical scrolling seems more effective to the left and right of the space bar. Could be a 'travel distance' issue because the spacebar doesn't appear to have capacitive function. Perhaps BlackBerry upped the sensitivity of the keys above the spacebar to try and compensate for that but it causes wonkiness in some apps (ie non BlackBerry ones that aren't optimized for it) as a result?
    09-26-18 09:49 AM
    FWIW, what Launchers are you guys using? I was testing out the Microsoft Launcher for a few days and encountered the super annoying 'hyper-sensitive" keyboard where it sent my homescreens flying all over the place in seeming random directions. I especially encountered it when my thumbs would overlap or slightly touch the keypad when trying to access the speed key / keyboard shortcuts from the homescreen. Not good. The keyboard 'mini-menu' that pops up above the navigation keys also seemed to come up randomly when trying to activate your speed key / keyboard shortcuts.

Since then I went back to BlackBerry launcher (got fed up with having to use the speed key ALL THE TIME) and the sensitivity issues and weird glitches completely disappeared. So I tend to think the issue may be app based.

One other thing I have noticed with the Key2 is vertical scrolling seems more effective to the left and right of the space bar. Could be a 'travel distance' issue because the spacebar doesn't appear to have capacitive function. Perhaps BlackBerry upped the sensitivity of the keys above the spacebar to try and compensate for that but it causes wonkiness in some apps (ie non BlackBerry ones that aren't optimized for it) as a result?
    Just using the BlackBerry Launcher.
    09-26-18 10:00 AM
    Just using the BlackBerry Launcher.
    Are you seeing this more often in non-BlackBerry apps? Personally, outside of BlackBerry apps is the only place I have seen it so far. Definitely saw a major difference with the BlackBerry launcher (where it is non-existent) versus Microsoft launcher...I will keep a closer eye on other apps to see if it pops up anywhere else.
    09-26-18 10:15 AM
    I just received a reply from Blackberry Mobil Care, you are not going to believe this:

"Hello Charles,

Thank you for your patience. We have been informed that this is how the feature it is. You are really not just pressing the space key your finger it accidentally rubbing on the letters above the spacebar.

Regards,

Irai R.

BlackBerry Mobile Care"

BELOW IS MY RESPONES:

"Irai,

This a totally unacceptable answer.

First off this doesn't occur at all on my KEYᵒⁿᵉ. It never has.

Second, as I'm typing this, with my thumb resting solely on the space key, not touching any other key the cursor mode flickers rapidly on and off. I'm sure this NOT an intended feature.

This mode should only be activated by a definitive double tap, not just a casual brushing of the keys. There is an issue either with the build of the physical keyboard or the software, perhaps a sensitivity issue. Either way it is a flaw in the Key² and needs to be addressed, either by a concerted effort to find the origin and fix it or offer a full refund for a defective phone (no matter what vendor it was purchased from).

The classic Apple answer "you're holding it wrong" just doesn't fly.

Chuck"
    09-26-18 11:08 AM
2,521 ... 56789 ...