A Key 2 or Key 2 LE with BB's hardening or the Google Pixel 3 with timely updates and the Titan M chip?
    03-05-19 04:57 PM
    Vague question really, which depends on the attack vector and thousands of other variables. Have fun arguing about discussing it though.
    03-05-19 06:12 PM
    A Key 2 or Key 2 LE with BB's hardening or the Google Pixel 3 with timely updates and the Titan M chip?
    BlackBerry could have made it easy on themselves by delivering a purely vanilla Android device, with much faster update cycles. Instead, they went with spending good money hardening the OS and by consequence, delivering a slower update cycle.

BlackBerry obviously feels their solution is better. Having real-time integrity detection and enhanced kernel hardening would lead me to believe them.

That all said, it's what is between the user's ears that is the most valuable component of a secure system.
    03-05-19 06:48 PM
    Either plus common sense, although it's tough to beat the Pixel's update schedule.
    mralgi likes this.
    03-05-19 07:53 PM
    Definitely the Key2 LE...maybe.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    03-05-19 07:55 PM
    *gets popcorn out*
    03-05-19 08:01 PM
    Meh.

As a consumer, I just look at it this way:

One has an amazing industry-leading camera

The other is a communicating beast

Together they actually complement each other quite nicely honestly.
    Byrese likes this.
    03-05-19 08:22 PM
    Meh.

As a consumer, I just look at it this way:

One has an amazing industry-leading camera

The other is a communicating beast

Together they actually complement each other quite nicely honestly.
    This right here. My key2 is a beast.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    03-05-19 10:37 PM
    Tough question in theory. However, since the Pixel is already on Android Pie, and gets monthly security updates directly from Google, the obvious answer is that the Pixel is more "secure". The BlackBerry devices are always lagging a month or two behind the Pixel, so there would be vulnerabilities during that period.

As far as the "kernel hardening".... I have no idea if this compensates for slower security updates. Perhaps the Priv that is no longer updated is still pretty secure because of the hardening and root of trust, but someone will have to try to hack it to prove this. As far as I know, no BlackBerry device has even been "hacked", but this may just be because there are so few of them out there...???
    03-06-19 06:52 AM
    Either plus common sense, although it's tough to beat the Pixel's update schedule.
    That is the big difference... each feature update add security features, and the longer patch cycle means that it will be secure longer. Along with there is little to doubt Google's commitment to updates...
    03-06-19 07:23 AM
    With this topic all I can think of is what if Blackberry and Google somehow merged to make a Blackberry Key Device with the Pixel's software and camera?

Sold lol.
    03-07-19 09:15 AM
    With this topic all I can think of is what if Blackberry and Google somehow merged to make a Blackberry Key Device with the Pixel's software and camera?

Sold lol.
    What if TCL dropped the BlackBerry Secure and just used Android One, they then might be able to use better chipset which would have a better imaging processor. That's a more likely than Google licensing from BlackBerry and making a KEY device
    03-07-19 09:40 AM
    What if TCL dropped the BlackBerry Secure and just used Android One, they then might be able to use better chipset which would have a better imaging processor. That's a more likely than Google licensing from BlackBerry and making a KEY device
    If Alcatels Android One phones are any sign, it wouldn't mean much for the processor or imaging changes lol - https://www.androidcentral.com/alcatel-1x-review
    03-07-19 09:47 AM
    If Alcatels Android One phones are any sign, it wouldn't mean much for the processor or imaging changes lol - https://www.androidcentral.com/alcatel-1x-review
    Somethings got to change if they ever "really" plan on making foldable phones....

I just don't see that BlackBerry's Android Secure is a selling feature, but I bet it is costly. Main selling feature is the PKB, if you could get that at other price points... it might have more of a benefit.
    03-07-19 10:28 AM
    Somethings got to change if they ever "really" plan on making foldable phones....

I just don't see that BlackBerry's Android Secure is a selling feature, but I bet it is costly. Main selling feature is the PKB, if you could get that at other price points... it might have more of a benefit.
    When devices carry some of these specs - https://www.androidcentral.com/best-android-one-phones ... it really causes one to ask, how much is that PKB worth. No doubt about it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-07-19 11:47 AM
    I could care less if the next KEY device says "TCL" on the back and comes without BB software, as long as it has that awesome PKB, I'm all in.
    The device would be priced cheaper too that's for sure.
    pdr733 likes this.
    03-07-19 12:15 PM
    Tough question in theory. However, since the Pixel is already on Android Pie, and gets monthly security updates directly from Google, the obvious answer is that the Pixel is more "secure". The BlackBerry devices are always lagging a month or two behind the Pixel, so there would be vulnerabilities during that period.

As far as the "kernel hardening".... I have no idea if this compensates for slower security updates. Perhaps the Priv that is no longer updated is still pretty secure because of the hardening and root of trust, but someone will have to try to hack it to prove this. As far as I know, no BlackBerry device has even been "hacked", but this may just be because there are so few of them out there...???
    Wasn't Angela Merkel's BlackBerry hacked? Didn't El Choppo's organization have 50 hacked BlackBerry's. Unless I am missing or misunderstanding something in the news cycles.
    Last edited by Crusader03; 03-07-19 at 01:25 PM.
    03-07-19 01:09 PM
    I could care less if the next KEY device says "TCL" on the back and comes without BB software, as long as it has that awesome PKB, I'm all in.
    The device would be priced cheaper too that's for sure.
    I wonder if TCL had not picked up BlackBerry... if they would have done something in the PKB line with PALM. I was fine with they TREO's keyboard, and a Stylus would not be unwelcome either.

Key would be to get the right hardware and price point for each market.
    03-07-19 01:10 PM
    I wonder if TCL had not picked up BlackBerry... if they would have done something in the PKB line with PALM. I was fine with they TREO's keyboard, and a Stylus would not be unwelcome either.

Key would be to get the right hardware and price point for each market.
    They did PALM, but it's a slab *sigh*
    03-07-19 06:45 PM
    Sectera, IMO.
    Unfortunately it's not sold publicly
    03-08-19 08:15 AM
    Sectera, IMO.
    Unfortunately it's not sold publicly
    Nor would the public in general want it.... you think BB10 didn't have apps.
    03-08-19 03:26 PM

It IS the leading selling feature !!!

Posted via CB10
    03-08-19 03:35 PM
    It IS the leading selling feature !!!

Posted via CB10
    If that were true... you'd have SLAB BlackBerry's being successful in the market.
    03-11-19 08:00 AM
    Well, if you start with BlackBerry's "hardening" of making the device unrootable really accomplishing anything (other than bragging rights, perhaps) then the answer should be obvious...
    03-11-19 09:05 AM
    I'd say both are equally secured for privacy purposes but as they both run on android, Google's already there to track our every activity. I remember shopping some stuff online from Instagram from stores like Guess, Tommy Hilfiger, Adidas and when I opened chrome lately,, all the products I viewed were there in suggestions to check out at sale,, I was a Lil confused like how my Instagram activity got into chrome but it's okk,, let them track and after all it was just some clothing apps,, I should get worried if I was looking for chemicals to cook meth at my home. But I hate the fact that certain apps needs access to our pictures videos contacts to run in the device.
    03-11-19 03:55 PM
36 12