Not sure about feasibility of my idea when it comes to implementation as I don't know if those BlackBerry specific APIs are included in Android development kit.

If available, then it is wonderful opportunity to extend popular Android apps to be intact with BlackBerry Android devices.

Remember BB10 apps and how they are integrated with keyboard.

We need to develop a simple framework which will only act on top of any Android app and it must be easily plugged into any Android app.

The framework should execute below actions, applied to Twitter for just an example

1. Short cut keys -

Clicking on N should show me new tweets
    C should compose new message
    S should allow me search for trends, users and tags
    X to terminate the app and so on

2. Space bar

Clicking on space bar should scroll down page

3. Delete key should delete tweet and so on.
    Vistaus likes this.
    12-31-18 01:26 PM
    There has been seven Android BlackBerry devices. I think if anyone was going to take that effort on, it would have been started by now unless there were some limitations which prevented it which may/may not have changed since then. Be interesting though.
    12-31-18 01:34 PM
    Clicking on # should show me trends

Hub integration: Make it as close as bb10 hub integration

As we think, we get hundreds of ideas
    12-31-18 01:35 PM
    There has been seven Android BlackBerry devices. I think if anyone was going to take that effort on, it would have been started by now.
    I don't bother about past and I bother about present and future, Amen!
    12-31-18 01:36 PM
    And most importantly, clicking on S should enable search. This was already implemented in Key2 app drawer and setting. But it doesn't work in youtube, maps and other apps.

Why can't we do this?
    12-31-18 01:45 PM
    I don't bother about past and I bother about present and future, Amen!
    Hard to argue with that.
    Vistaus likes this.
    12-31-18 02:11 PM
    Hard to argue with that.
    No arguments, let developers post what is possible or not possible!

This will at least give us idea what can be done and what can't be done.

I'm curious to know. You and me can't conclude anything out of this!
    12-31-18 02:14 PM
    There has been seven Android BlackBerry devices. I think if anyone was going to take that effort on, it would have been started by now unless there were some limitations which prevented it which may/may not have changed since then. Be interesting though.
    Though it has to be noted that tablets also have external keyboards more and more and there's also Android support in ChromeOS and Chromebooks also have keyboards, so keyboard shortcuts would benefit more than just BlackBerries.
    12-31-18 03:46 PM
    Not sure about feasibility of my idea when it comes to implementation as I don't know if those BlackBerry specific APIs are included in Android development kit.

If available, then it is wonderful opportunity to extend popular Android apps to be intact with BlackBerry Android devices.

Remember BB10 apps and how they are integrated with keyboard.

We need to develop a simple framework which will only act on top of any Android app and it must be easily plugged into any Android app.

The framework should execute below actions, applied to Twitter for just an example

1. Short cut keys -

Clicking on N should show me new tweets
    C should compose new message
    S should allow me search for trends, users and tags
    X to terminate the app and so on

2. Space bar

Clicking on space bar should scroll down page

3. Delete key should delete tweet and so on.
    I agree very much, esp. with the Hub and Twitter shortcuts. So far, Twitter only has Ctrl+Enter to reply to a tweet in a thread and N to compose a tweet, but that's it.
    12-31-18 03:47 PM
    The problem with what you are suggesting is top level OS access that only BlackBerry developers have.

The only shot at this is to convince them that such implementations are worthwhile.

From my experience, this is a lost battle but who am I to deprive anyone of them dreams?!?

Write to the developers or tag them on this post. See what they say! We might be lucky.
    12-31-18 03:56 PM
    Update: earlier I reported that Ctrl+Enter sends a tweet reply in a thread, but I now noticed they added that shortcut for sending a 'normal' tweet as well. Must've been added recently as that wasn't implemented yet a while ago.
    01-01-19 05:53 PM
    The problem with what you are suggesting is top level OS access that only BlackBerry developers have.

The only shot at this is to convince them that such implementations are worthwhile.

From my experience, this is a lost battle but who am I to deprive anyone of them dreams?!?

Write to the developers or tag them on this post. See what they say! We might be lucky.
    Twitter should expand their shortcut support. As I said earlier, more and more people are using tablets with external keyboards now and also run Android apps on ChromeOS, so that's a lot of keyboards where shortcuts would also come in handy and we'd also benefit with our 'berries. Maybe Google should also pitch in. After all, they advertise ChromeOS as a serious Windows alternative and a serious OS has keyboard shortcut support in 3rd party apps.
    01-01-19 05:56 PM
    Sounds complexe! I think it will gain much more traction if it’s ain’t a feature only usable by a PKB device! Not enough users for the effort!

Instead, why not ask the assistant to do it. For instance type: “Post Tweet” and it brings up a new Tweet. It will be available for all devices so much more developers would be interested
    01-01-19 06:12 PM
    Sounds complexe! I think it will gain much more traction if it’s ain’t a feature only usable by a PKB device! Not enough users for the effort!

Instead, why not ask the assistant to do it. For instance type: “Post Tweet” and it brings up a new Tweet. It will be available for all devices so much more developers would be interested
    Because I bought key2
    01-02-19 01:47 AM
    Because I bought key2
    Yes, you have bought the Key2, but the rest of the world (except a few) did not. So, to be honest, developers don't give a duck about you and well, who are they to blame?

What they will care about, however, is shortcuts in their apps for use with ChromeOS, and later on, Fuchsia devices, so there's that. They may or may not work with the Key2.
    01-02-19 05:50 AM
    Yes, you have bought the Key2, but the rest of the world (except a few) did not. So, to be honest, developers don't give a duck about you and well, who are they to blame?

What they will care about, however, is shortcuts in their apps for use with ChromeOS, and later on, Fuchsia devices, so there's that. They may or may not work with the Key2.
    First thing, my question is specific to key devices to enhance my key2 keyboard experience

2nd, don't assume developers can't support key devices alone unless you hear back from them

3rd, there are dozens of android apps for the work around and I'm not interested about them
    01-02-19 06:37 AM
    2nd, don't assume developers can't support key devices alone unless you hear back from them
    How many "mainstream" Android developers know that there are still PKB phones being made?

I know of a few BB10 Developers that made the jump from BB10 to Android... long ago. But few of these developers are making top 100 or even top 1000 apps. Most of them are utilities, of which there are 100's of variants of the same tools already...

That said... any developer could pick up a KEY device and start using it, and because of his own love of the format, make changes that better supports it. Even team members of the Twitter App... Likely no, but anything is possible.
    01-02-19 08:57 AM
    First thing, my question is specific to key devices to enhance my key2 keyboard experience

3rd, there are dozens of android apps for the work around and I'm not interested about them
    Regarding aspect 1: Of course it is a Key specific question, after all, this is the Key2 forum, isn't it?

Regarding aspect 2: Well, as it has been said, of course they could, but why would they? Except for a tiny, tiny fraction, nobody uses devices with PKB anymore, so why would they even bother? It just does not make any sense whatsoever. Why invest in such a small niche without any profitable outcome big enough to justify the resources put into it?

Use common sense.

Regarding point 3: Well, if you want to optimize your user experience, those workarounds will be your best option.

Remember: You did get a Blackberry. It's a special phone, albeit being an Android. But you didn't only get a BB, but a BB with a PKB. The market share is just so small, no developer with sense in their minds will bother. Noone. You have a niche device. Accept it and make the best out of it, or get an Apple or Samsung, with a market share big enough to have an impact on developers.
    01-02-19 10:30 AM
    Regarding aspect 1: Of course it is a Key specific question, after all, this is the Key2 forum, isn't it?

Regarding aspect 2: Well, as it has been said, of course they could, but why would they? Except for a tiny, tiny fraction, nobody uses devices with PKB anymore, so why would they even bother? It just does not make any sense whatsoever. Why invest in such a small niche without any profitable outcome big enough to justify the resources put into it?

Use common sense.

Regarding point 3: Well, if you want to optimize your user experience, those workarounds will be your best option.

Remember: You did get a Blackberry. It's a special phone, albeit being an Android. But you didn't only get a BB, but a BB with a PKB. The market share is just so small, no developer with sense in their minds will bother. Noone. You have a niche device. Accept it and make the best out of it, or get an Apple or Samsung, with a market share big enough to have an impact on developers.
    At least one developer who can develop effective apps for pkb device, then we are ready to pay for that. If you read my first post, I have requested for an app where keyboard cab be integrated with screen for very common operations like space bar to scroll down the screen, T to move top of the page, b to move to bottom of the screen.

Only developer knows if it is doable with little to moderate effort or not. Why are you so much worried and keep on saying that development for key2 is not possible.
    01-02-19 11:08 AM
    At least one developer who can develop effective apps for pkb device, then we are ready to pay for that. If you read my first post, I have requested for an app where keyboard cab be integrated with screen for very common operations like space bar to scroll down the screen, T to move top of the page, b to move to bottom of the screen.

Only developer knows if it is doable with little to moderate effort or not. Why are you so much worried and keep on saying that development for key2 is not possible.
    I did read your first post, I just do not think this is on an app level. This is core functionality, and this is a level only BB can access. Instead of asking lots and lots of app developers, ask BB developers to bake it into the system at deep integrative layers / levels.

It seems to me you did not read my post correctly. Of course development is possible. But I do not think that anyone is willing to develop, given the fact that (a) little audience/market share (b) no reward in doing so.

So yeah, it is possible, I would love it if they could implement those shortcuts but the thing is - this is Blackberry Mobile. They don't care for their users. And while that seems harsh, I kind of get it. I mean, the phone works. From BBmo's perspective there is little to none incentive to change anything.
    RK_BB likes this.
    01-02-19 12:17 PM
    I did read your first post, I just do not think this is on an app level. This is core functionality, and this is a level only BB can access. Instead of asking lots and lots of app developers, ask BB developers to bake it into the system at deep integrative layers / levels.

It seems to me you did not read my post correctly. Of course development is possible. But I do not think that anyone is willing to develop, given the fact that (a) little audience/market share (b) no reward in doing so.

So yeah, it is possible, I would love it if they could implement those shortcuts but the thing is - this is Blackberry Mobile. They don't care for their users. And while that seems harsh, I kind of get it. I mean, the phone works. From BBmo's perspective there is little to none incentive to change anything.
    Spot on. Pretty much what I said in post # 10!

However you look at it though, it seems like people and developers do not have much interest in that area.

I even suggested more keyboard shortcuts for Hub which didn't seem to attract much interest:
    /blackberry-hub-plus-suite-f459/hub-keyboard-shortcut-suggestion-1157154/
    Last edited by RK_BB; 01-02-19 at 04:47 PM.
    01-02-19 12:22 PM

What you’re talking about is unrealistic. You want a shortcut that would start a new Tweet within the tweeter app, using a physical keyboard. It your T and B example...

Why would a developer do this? Why wouldn’t they just add a button on screen that says: “Top” or “Bottom”? Wouldn’t that be much go more intuitive? And it would work with a much wider range of devices!
    01-02-19 12:25 PM
    +1 for 't' and 'b' buttons on a web browser!
    01-03-19 11:09 PM
    What you’re talking about is unrealistic. You want a shortcut that would start a new Tweet within the tweeter app, using a physical keyboard. It your T and B example...

Why would a developer do this? Why wouldn’t they just add a button on screen that says: “Top” or “Bottom”? Wouldn’t that be much go more intuitive? And it would work with a much wider range of devices!
    Because people on computers use keyboard shortcuts as well and Twitter for Android is gaining popularity on ChromeOS. So that's also a wide array of devices.

Also, why are you talking about a shortcut to start a new tweet? That one's already implemented: if I press N, the New Tweet screen opens.
    01-04-19 12:10 PM
    +1 for 't' and 'b' buttons on a web browser!
    You mean like Keyboard Browser?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ange.bbbrowser
    01-04-19 12:11 PM
84 123 ...