I think that Android P UI makes a lot more sense than any previous version
    It's still well on the road of becoming a walled garden for Google, with little to no freedom for manufacturers to make meaningful changes or additions. The fact it's linux at its core is ironic.
    xubabi likes this.
    09-18-18 09:47 AM
    It's still well on the road of becoming a walled garden for Google, with little to no freedom for manufacturers to make meaningful changes or additions. The fact it's linux at its core is ironic.
    Well, this thread speaks to the "most annoying part of Android" which is obviously subjective to the user.

Call me old school but for me, anything other than BB10 is the least ergonomically correct when it comes to navigation and communication so if Google is moving forward towards solving the navigation problem they can lock the OS all they want as far as I am concerned.

I am sick of the top bar app menus that I can never reach and I absolutely can't stand the 3 navigation buttons at the bottom.
    09-18-18 09:51 AM
    Well, this thread speaks to the "most annoying part of Android" which is obviously subjective to the user.

Call me old school but for me, anything other than BB10 is the least ergonomically correct when it comes to navigation and communication so if Google is moving forward towards solving the navigation problem they can lock the OS all they want as far as I am concerned.

I am sick of the top bar app menus that I can never reach and I absolutely can't stand the 3 navigation buttons at the bottom.
    That's logically unsound: if Google locks the OS down, you are subject to their mercy for doing it right. If Google didn't, it's up to the manufacturers to make their implementation, with enough variation among them you can always pick the one OS that suits you most.
    09-18-18 10:31 AM
    That's logically unsound: if Google locks the OS down, you are subject to their mercy for doing it right. If Google didn't, it's up to the manufacturers to make their implementation, with enough variation among them you can always pick the one OS that suits you most.
    So far I haven't seen a single manufacturer that nailed it on Android, BlackBerry included.
    09-18-18 10:46 AM
    ..having to shop around in an ocean of often half-baked apps to substitute for native ones. And pay for them to get rid of intrusive ads.
    09-18-18 12:07 PM
    ..having to shop around in an ocean of often half-baked apps to substitute for native ones. And pay for them to get rid of intrusive ads.
    Amen!
    09-18-18 12:12 PM
    So far I haven't seen a single manufacturer that nailed it on Android, BlackBerry included.
    Then you haven't looked around enough, after 3 phones I stumbled upon the MIUI ROM and bought their first model when Xiaomi partnered up. Most complete, stable and sleek looking experience I've had so far. After 3 Xiaomi phones I felt forced to hop over to Blackberry because Google actively sabotages developers, which resulted in my MIUI experience being little different from other phones (in fact even a big downgrade from what it was several major releases ago).

Note: Google is fined over $4.300.000.000 by the EU for this behavior!

I'm on blackberry now because it's the only android with a tangible difference (and advantage) compared to others: the keyboard.
    09-18-18 02:05 PM
    Then you haven't looked around enough, after 3 phones I stumbled upon the MIUI ROM and bought their first model when Xiaomi partnered up. Most complete, stable and sleek looking experience I've had so far. After 3 Xiaomi phones I felt forced to hop over to Blackberry because Google actively sabotages developers, which resulted in my MIUI experience being little different from other phones (in fact even a big downgrade from what it was several major releases ago).

Note: Google is fined over $4.300.000.000 by the EU for this behavior!

I'm on blackberry now because it's the only android with a tangible difference (and advantage) compared to others: the keyboard.
    I am on BlackBerry for the reason you are. The rest is still very clunky as far as I am concerned and you are right, it is very possible that I haven't looked around enough. My comments are limited to my knowledge
    09-18-18 02:10 PM
    I’m laughing because people want a locked down OS but want freedom of design. Original Android was setup to allow devs all kinds of freedom. Too many complained for uniformity and consistency like Apple, BlackBerry and Microsoft. Now that it’s being controlled, people are complaining.... I guess you can’t make everyone happy....
    09-18-18 02:18 PM
    I’m laughing because people want a locked down OS but want freedom of design. Original Android was setup to allow devs all kinds of freedom. Too many complained for uniformity and consistency like Apple, BlackBerry and Microsoft. Now that it’s being controlled, people are complaining.... I guess you can’t make everyone happy....
    When Subaru debuted the WRX STi in a 5 door hatchback the fan world was on fire! People screamed travesty....few years later the ditched it and now people are like "well damn, where did the hatchback go?!?!?"

For the record, I was the one screaming uniformity and I am glad it's making a comeback!
    09-18-18 02:21 PM
    So true... it's a monolithic system now, and we (the users) have basically no control over what's going on IN the phone.
    09-18-18 02:32 PM
    Then per the #27 post, quit ur complaining...... LOLOLOL
    When Subaru debuted the WRX STi in a 5 door hatchback the fan world was on fire! People screamed travesty....few years later the ditched it and now people are like "well damn, where did the hatchback go?!?!?"

For the record, I was the one screaming uniformity and I am glad it's making a comeback!
    09-18-18 02:33 PM
    It's almost like smartphones have a market because manufacturers cater more than one person.

Honestly, there's always been a choice of open and closed. With Google's current strategy there is no choice to begin with. Sadly the western manufacturers brought this on themselves with all the spec autism and little to no attention for software and detail. This market could have been rich and diverse.
    09-18-18 02:34 PM
    Then per the #27 post, quit ur complaining...... LOLOLOL
    True story!

I am for uniformity but for God sake make it ergonomic
    09-18-18 02:35 PM

This!

LOVE the Key2 - in terms of the device. HATE a million little things about Android UI, ESPECIALLY the top left placement of going 'back' in apps. Even Crackberry - Here on my Q10, so easy to go back on the bottom left. Key2 and all modern Android phones are 6' tall, this makes no sense.

I also have gone back and forth between SMS apps. Textra is good but annoying that sending a text gets you right back into the Hub, instead of staying on the conversation.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-18 03:04 PM
    Textra is good but annoying that sending a text gets you right back into the Hub, instead of staying on the conversation.
    Funny! That's the one thing I LOVE about Textra which no other SMS app does, though I still use Android Messages since I like things design intended (as much as I can tolerate their design inefficiency).

I believe that a true in-line reply experience require immediate return to Hub rather than staying in the conversation but this just prove time and time again how different people love different experiences hence uniformity will never satisfy everyone.
    09-18-18 03:15 PM
    Enter key does not send messages it drives me nuts I have to touch the screen to send txts, is there anyway to change this?
    Yaata can also send with the enter button.
    One more nice trick is that after send you can have the keyboard disappear so that you only need to hit the back button once to get back to the HUB.
    09-18-18 03:20 PM
42 12