Hi all,

Just received my Key2 today, but while I immediately love the device I'm not sure I can tolerate this slight issue with the fitting of the keyboard surround so considering returning it for replacement.

I wanted to ask you guys first if this is just the way they are and a replacement will likely be the same, or if I should expect a better fit?

It's tricky to photograph but the what is going on is the key surround(not sure if it's metal or plastic) is fitted ever so slightly to one side, difficult to see but you feel a rough edge if you run your thumb down the right edge, and the same if you run your thumb updwards on the lower left edge. It is just visible to the naked eye also and I think you should be able to just about make it out with the pics below(slight overlap to the left bottom edge compared with the right).

So my question from fellow Key2 owners, are yours also like this and my expectations are too high, or is this one just slightly poorly fitted and probably best exchanged?

Appreciate any opinions so thank you in advance.

post a pic
    09-13-18 01:34 PM
    Nah. Your fit and finish should be better than that. Ultimately, it's up to you and your level of tolerance and acceptance but I'd get it replaced.
    09-13-18 03:59 PM
    From the pics you posted, I'm not seeing anything wrong. Are you talking about where the front plastic keyboard piece meets the frame at the bottom of the screen?
    09-13-18 04:09 PM
    I see what you're saying in pic #2 where it looks like the side of the phone is separating from the top fret cover. That's definitely poor and while not major, it would bother me. My first Key2 had what looked like pry marks on the side of the screen, maybe 4 or 5 of them.
    09-13-18 04:16 PM
    Ohh okay I see, we're talking about the slight Crack between the keyboard cover and the frame. Mine also has a tiny Crack on one side, couldn't care less personally, as it doesn't look like it'll ever come off
    09-13-18 04:26 PM
    my bar in the space does not symmetrically sit (the one that the scanner)
    09-13-18 10:10 PM
    now that I take a closer look at my keyboard it's looks the same but I never noticed it before.
    09-14-18 12:14 AM
    Mine is smooth as butter all the way around. No ridge or misfitting like that. Get yourself a better one
    09-14-18 09:46 AM
    two of my key2 also have not even side ends around keyboard. one on the right, and the other one is on left.

thus, I don't think the chance of getting better one for next time for your replacement is high... if that is the only concern, I'd recommend you to stick to it since qc of TCL is very poor. you might end up getting another oner with different, and more major issue. ( I had to replace my first key2 for not being functioning keyboard after 4 weeks of use...-_-)

mine at least does not have Crack looking crease like yours does.

Edit+ oh wait, *uck! mine also had a Crack looking crease on left side... I would never notice that without looking at this post. Now it starts bother me... but I will stick to this for now unless it separates.
    09-14-18 10:23 AM
    To OP - what you seem to have is a misaligned keyboard (top view). That shouldn't happen because both top and bottom components are obviously intended to align perfectly.

The seam between the keyboard and frame (parallel to the top of the phone) is a construction joint...should be minimal but as it is related to how the phone fits together, not sure much can be done about it. Also metal and plastic (what the surround is made of) have different coefficients of expansion which could lead to gaps opening up over time as the phone is exposed to temperature changes. Again, we are talking fractions of a millimetre here but I think some dimensional 'play' in this area is to be expected. Perhaps some additional glue (by TCL) may have helped.

I really wish they had gone with metal for that surround on the silver! The seam is just one issue. When the chin gets scratched up its going to be black underneath. One extra reason to get a black Key2 for all the folks who go OCD on this kind of stuff.
    09-14-18 12:37 PM
    it's a shame because BlackBerry's are known for there keyboards and with the Key2 it's just not cutting it. they got the look right but everything else is off. I had to disable my gestures just so that the vkb could stop coming up and the cursor as well, the flick to tupé is a joke and now this, I think it's time for me to try the Motion and give the keyboard a break. (but I like the shortcuts that come with the keyboard) if the keyboard worked great on bb10 pp why doesn't it work the same on the Key phones?
    09-15-18 10:14 PM
    I had to disable my gestures just so that the vkb could stop coming up and the cursor as well, the flick to tupé is a joke
    Have you seen this? As far as I am concerned that's a know issue at this point, whether they admit it or not:

/blackberry-key2-f472/physical-keyboard-use-randomly-activates-pointer-cursor-mode-issue-1155317/
    09-15-18 10:30 PM
    Have you seen this? As far as I am concerned that's a know issue at this point, whether they admit it or not:

/blackberry-key2-f472/physical-keyboard-use-randomly-activates-pointer-cursor-mode-issue-1155317/
    For one reason or another I'm not able to press and see the link which you are referring to
    09-15-18 10:32 PM
    For one reason or another I'm not able to press and see the link which you are referring to
    Its a thread that speak to the exact issue you are experiencing with the erratic keyboard behavior!

You might want to try and access it using a desktop computer.

There are more than just a few owners that experience the same, most of which are going for a replacement, myself included.

I recommend that you contribute to the thread; it's important that BlackBerry Mobile recognize this defect.
    09-15-18 10:37 PM