So last few time detek has checked my phone it no longer is excellent. Seems not getting patches is downgrading it. Will this affect apps being able to run or just the BlackBerry app doing its job. Maybe not doing much just checking dates. I was hoping I could get another year out of this. Currently I need office 365 to work for email and I suspect there will be no issues but one never knows. Next phone will be a pixel and I dont think I will be putting out long post on it. Still a bit sad its all over. Still enjoy using this phone and will till I can't.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg

going to so miss using word substitution even with its quirks.
    08-10-20 11:43 PM
    So last few time detek has checked my phone it no longer is excellent. Seems not getting patches is downgrading it. Will this affect apps being able to run or just the BlackBerry app doing its job. Maybe not doing much just checking dates. I was hoping I could get another year out of this. Currently I need office 365 to work for email and I suspect there will be no issues but one never knows. Next phone will be a pixel and I dont think I will be putting out long post on it. Still a bit sad its all over. Still enjoy using this phone and will till I can't.

Reg

May was the last security update for the KEY².

With my risk assessment model, that gives me until the end of this month to choose another device.
    08-11-20 12:11 AM
    May was the last security update for the KEY².

With my risk assessment model, that gives me until the end of this month to choose another device.
    Or add. A good anti-virus from a country least likely to want to spy on you.
    08-11-20 12:21 AM
    Or add. A good anti-virus from a country least likely to want to spy on you.
    Anti-virus is not a suitable replacement for system-level patches. Not to mention the fact that they take up a non-trivial level of resources - which is particularly hard on older devices.
    rarsen and BBuso77 like this.
    08-11-20 12:23 AM
    Anti-virus is not a suitable replacement for system-level patches. Not to mention the fact that they take up a non-trivial level of resources.
    True if you leave them installed but as part of Regular and sensible security Scan once every month to once every 3 months, they should catch any rogue app hiding on your system.

I personally would never leave an anti-virus on an Android phone, as you say it was too much resources.

But ever since I switched from my Galaxy S6 to blackberry KeyOne and now the Key2' I have always run an anti-virus at least once every three months and definitely not an American anti-virus but then I live in the UK so definitely not five eyes.

If I do use one from a 5 eyes country I'll make sure I also sweep with another anti-virus from a more trusted source.
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 08-30-20 at 04:05 AM.
    08-11-20 12:30 AM

Reg

I have used my PRIV and still use since last patch security patch Oct 2017..and guess what no issues. Have also noticed here in Forums no one mentioning "security breaches" . Have a KEY2 Silver and just recently purchased a KEY2 128gb Dual SIM. No worries whatsoever.
    jtrx7, DWonder and saint300 like this.
    08-11-20 02:18 AM
    Paranoia is a valid excuse to buy a new device for some. I'm happy to use my Motion, Key2 LE and Key2 dual black for the foreseeable future.
    Rico4you, jtrx7, Low Joe and 4 others like this.
    08-11-20 02:24 AM
    Paranoia is a valid excuse to buy a new device for some. I'm happy to use my Motion, Key2 LE and Key2 dual black for the foreseeable future.
    Agree. With this Paranoia about the need to purchase a new device because your KEYones, KEY2's will no longer be working properly, security patches, the end is near, etc .......go ahead spend your money if you wish I will keep using my devices. Period.
    mrsimon, jtrx7, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    08-11-20 02:31 AM
    I second that. 👍
    Rico4you and jtrx7 like this.
    08-11-20 02:44 AM
    Agreed.
    Rico4you likes this.
    08-11-20 03:20 AM
    Agree. With this Paranoia about the need to purchase a new device because your KEYones, KEY2's will no longer be working properly, security patches, the end is near, etc .......go ahead spend your money if you wish I will keep using my devices. Period.
    I actually was able to make about double selling off my BlackBerrys compared to how much I spent on a pair of new phones for myself and the Mrs. We both miss the keyboard already, but the writing was on the wall and we are adjusting. Now is a great time to sell. Prices are on the rise on eBay.
    08-11-20 04:09 AM
    So all security patches should cease immediately because they are a waste of time? Or are they only important for a period of time and then not important anymore?
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    08-11-20 08:04 AM
    So security patches are only for the paranoid? Did you install any of them?
    08-11-20 08:04 AM
    So all security patches should cease immediately because they are a waste of time? Or are they only important for a period of time and then not important anymore?
    Don't diverge what stated.
    08-11-20 08:32 AM
    Don't diverge what stated.
    Are they important or not? That's the question.
    08-11-20 08:34 AM
    I actually was able to make about double selling off my BlackBerrys compared to how much I spent on a pair of new phones for myself and the Mrs. We both miss the keyboard already, but the writing was on the wall and we are adjusting. Now is a great time to sell. Prices are on the rise on eBay.
    Agree.. now is the best time to jump ship. Think many were hoping to see clearance prices, but instead they are willing to pay a premium just to get one, as inventory is becoming very limited. Regardless if the security patches have reached an ending.... they used BBOS for years after it's expiration date, and moved on the BB10 long after it was over... they see no issue using Android devices in the same way. Millions of others are doing it as well, so it must be ok.....

Just the last week we have seen "Achilles" and "QualPwn" vulnerabilities come to light in the Qualcomm chipsets...
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-11-20 08:44 AM
    If security updates aren’t important, why did everyone here care so much about them, until they stopped? Why are they still important for other Android/iOS OEMs that aren’t BlackBerry Limited or BlackBerry Mobile related.

This is the exact same behavior that happened with BBOS then BB10 when devices were discontinued.

Nobody is saying here to stop using your devices. It seems that many here are taking it personally.

However, it’s simply fact, like BBOS and BB10 previously, that BBAndroid hardware and software is now dated and no longer what everyone here bragged about.

Let’s just admit our beloved is aging like we all know and quit the denials. It’s one reason that I recently bought the PRIV for another table WiFi only device. It joins my BE KEYone and Motion for personal use.

My clients and the companies I do business with don’t wish to pay for my BlackBerry habit with any privacy or security data breach. Even my LG V30 running Android 9 Pie will soon be non-compliant and need to be replaced.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    08-11-20 08:58 AM
    If security updates aren’t important, why did everyone here care so much about them, until they stopped? Why are they still important for other Android/iOS OEMs that aren’t BlackBerry Limited or BlackBerry Mobile related.

This is the exact same behavior that happened with BBOS then BB10 when devices were discontinued.

Nobody is saying here to stop using your devices. It seems that many here are taking it personally.

However, it’s simply fact, like BBOS and BB10 previously, that BBAndroid hardware and software is now dated and no longer what everyone here bragged about.

Let’s just admit our beloved is aging like we all know and quit the denials. It’s one reason that I recently bought the PRIV for another table WiFi only device. It joins my BE KEYone and Motion for personal use.

My clients and the companies I do business with don’t wish to pay for my BlackBerry habit with any privacy or security data breach. Even my LG V30 running Android 9 Pie will soon be non-compliant and be replaced.
    Your going to need a bigger table.....
    to boldly go likes this.
    08-11-20 09:01 AM
    Your going to need a bigger table.....
    Not yet, the Q5 and Z3 were replaced by the BE KEYone and Motion so ok for now ;-D
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and hamilgs like this.
    08-11-20 09:07 AM
    Are they important or not? That's the question.
    no, that's not the question and you know it.
    We all think security patches are important.
    The question is if owners are going to stop using their phone because they no longer get them.
    The answer for many of us is no. We will continue to use them.
    If we all stopped using them for that reason, CB would only exist to talk about selling one's BlackBerry device.
    bh7171, Rico4you and jtrx7 like this.
    08-11-20 09:57 AM
    We all think security patches are important.
    The question is if owners are going to stop using their phone because they no longer get them.
    So they are important how then?
    08-11-20 10:08 AM
    Conite...
    08-11-20 10:12 AM
    Conite...
    It was a serious question. If they don't affect what phone you choose to use, how are patches "important"?

You were one of the first in every single month announcing excitedly that you got the latest security patch for your Motion, and now it's "paranoia" to worry about NOT getting them anymore. It's just confusing.
    08-11-20 10:21 AM
    for you.
    08-11-20 10:59 AM
    It was a serious question. If they don't affect what phone you choose to use, how are patches "important"?

You were one of the first in every single month announcing excitedly that you got the latest security patch for your Motion, and now it's "paranoia" to worry about NOT getting them anymore. It's just confusing.
    Pretty sure it's if millions of others can use an unpatched phone.... we can too.

Kinda like people still not wanting to wear a face mask in public.... in their heart I think they "know" it's not safe. But they just don't want someone telling them what they can and can't do. Or maybe if they hold their breath for long enough they'll be ok?
    08-11-20 11:09 AM
108 123 ...