When are we getting the new section? Otherwise, all the lite threads will start flooding in here.
    07-19-18 02:20 PM
    07-19-18 03:03 PM
    Pointless device. DOA. We need more, not less.
    footnote likes this.
    07-20-18 07:14 AM
    Not everyone wants to shell out $649 (or more) for a pkb.
    TCM01 and johnb_xp like this.
    07-20-18 07:53 AM
    You speak the truth.

Q10 Powered
    07-20-18 07:57 AM
    OK. So let's say at least $500 for that device, I don't see anything cheaper. Does it really make a difference?
    07-20-18 09:20 AM
    OK. So let's say at least $500 for that device, I don't see anything cheaper. Does it really make a difference?
    $499 and $649? I should think so.

$499 is what the KEYᵒⁿᵉ Black Edition is going for now, and they need something to replace it at that price point.

If they can get it down to $449, that would be even better.
    Last edited by conite; 07-20-18 at 10:32 AM.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-20-18 09:22 AM
    $150.00 is better off in my wallet than someone else's.

Q10 Powered
    skinnymike1 and TCM01 like this.
    07-20-18 10:18 AM
    You guys were quick on this, though I can't figure out how to get here from the app.
    07-21-18 01:27 PM
    I can't wait to see the "great" specs on this phone & what other phone you can get with similar features ofr 200-300$ less.
    07-23-18 07:21 AM
    I can't wait to see the "great" specs on this phone & what other phone you can get with similar features ofr 200-300$ less.
    What is your argument? That TCL should sell phones at a loss (or, at any rate, at a price that doesn't warrant them staying in the business)?
    Jrox74 likes this.
    07-23-18 08:03 AM
    What is your argument? That TCL should sell phones at a loss (or, at any rate, at a price that doesn't warrant them staying in the business)?
    We are ALL speculating because there is no way to know exactly how much profit they are making on each phone. Clearly, the camera & the price are probably the biggest issues people have with the phone.

Even Blackberry fans like me seem to think al Blackdroid phones have been way too expensive. The Priv unbelievably overpriced & then trend continues. I know people will respond with the PKB defense (I need a PKB) but nobody is buying Blackberry's because the phones are too expensive & it lacks too many standout features. The world has clearly moved on from PKB & I find it funny how people defend BB at any turn (this coming from a lifelong BB user)
    carullo likes this.
    07-23-18 08:23 AM
    $499 is what the KEYᵒⁿᵉ Black Edition is going for now, and they need something to replace it at that price point.

If they can get it down to $449, that would be even better.
    Better, but at what cost? Key2's camera is already mediocre at best, and the CPU is just peppy enough to be usable. Scale it back with worse camera sensors, lower grade image processing, and much slower CPU and ram...and it's going to be hard to justify the Lite's existence other than to realize some production efficiencies on TCL's end. If given a choice I would wager most BlackBerry buyers at that price point would rather opt for a KeyONE with an extended support life, rather than a newer model with cheaped out components. After all, it's not as if the KeyONE is THAT ancient...its barely a year old!
    07-23-18 08:39 AM
    We are ALL speculating because there is no way to know exactly how much profit they are making on each phone. Clearly, the camera & the price are probably the biggest issues people have with the phone.

Even Blackberry fans like me seem to think al Blackdroid phones have been way too expensive. The Priv unbelievably overpriced & then trend continues. I know people will respond with the PKB defense (I need a PKB) but nobody is buying Blackberry's because the phones are too expensive & it lacks too many standout features. The world has clearly moved on from PKB & I find it funny how people defend BB at any turn (this coming from a lifelong BB user)
    The fact that a second, unrelated company (TCL) seems to be dealing with similar pricing issues as another company (BlackBerry) would seem to prove that making low volume, custom devices is simply a much more expensive proposition.

Those increased costs not only reflect unit production, distribution, & support, but also the higher overhead due to the security play - which requires having to deal with certification issues, and business & carrier relations.
    07-23-18 08:43 AM
    Better, but at what cost? Key2's camera is already mediocre at best, and the CPU is just peppy enough to be usable. Scale it back with worse camera sensors, lower grade image processing, and much slower CPU and ram...and it's going to be hard to justify the Lite's existence other than to realize some production efficiencies on TCL's end. If given a choice I would wager most BlackBerry buyers at that price point would rather opt for a KeyONE with an extended support life, rather than a newer model with cheaped out components. After all, it's not as if the KeyONE is THAT ancient...its barely a year old!
    A 636/4GB combo is still better than the original KEYᵒⁿᵉ (625/3GB) - which I'm still rocking without issue.

The memory management on Oreo is sooooo much better, as I haven't had to even touch my cache in a week. It's still flying as if I had.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-23-18 08:45 AM
    A 636/4GB combo is still better than the original KEYᵒⁿᵉ (625/3GB) - which I'm still rocking without issue.

The memory management on Oreo is sooooo much better, as I haven't had to even touch my cache in a week. It's still flying as if I had.
    All the more reason to extend the KeyONE's service life, rather than the proposed K2 'Lite' sidegrade that brings almost no improvement over the current KeyONE (and possibly a few downgrades, such as build/materials)
    07-23-18 09:28 AM
    All the more reason to extend the KeyONE's service life, rather than the proposed K2 'Lite' sidegrade that brings almost no improvement over the current KeyONE (and possibly a few downgrades, such as build/materials)
    That new keyboard is pretty sweet though. I tried one at length, and just wow.
    mtalinm likes this.
    07-23-18 09:30 AM
    ... Which I doubt will sell in any significant numbers. Will $100/150 less than KEY2 prompt enough people to buy it?
    07-23-18 09:39 AM
    That new keyboard is pretty sweet though. I tried one at length, and just wow.
    Can't disagree. The Key2 is great and I'm really enjoying mine so far, but as a lower cost option, the KeyONE is still a solid design and perhaps just as economical for TCL (if not more so) than introducing a new K2 Lite.

I can only think TCL believes it has enough wind in its sails to justify yet another new model. I suppose that bodes well in terms of the overall health of the brand. My concern is the Lite may end up underperforming in other areas relative to the K1, which may work well for TCL from a profit standpoint but end up being somewhat of a publicity nightmare once it hits ReviewTube.
    itsyaboy likes this.
    07-23-18 09:43 AM
    ... Which I doubt will sell in any significant numbers. Will $100/150 less than KEY2 prompt enough people to buy it?
    It seems some people are already buying K1 instead of K2 for that reason, or foregoing a K2 upgrade because of it.

It's a shame in a way because TCL already spent considerable effort improving the K1. With the new Lite on the way, it seems content to put that design out to pasture. I think the original K1 design still has merit. Not everyone wants or needs a taller device with 20% bigger keys, or dual camera. Simply upgrading the internals of the K1 should have been more cost effective than churning out an entirely new model/trim...if the real goal here is to simply offer a lower cost (and refreshed) alternative to the K2. It seems TCL is more fixated on getting their new PKB design and form factor in people's hands than anything else...
    j21jam6 likes this.
    07-23-18 09:53 AM
    It seems some people are already buying K1 instead of K2 for that reason, or foregoing a K2 upgrade because of it.

It's a shame in a way because TCL already spent considerable effort improving the K1. With the new Lite on the way, it seems content to put that design out to pasture. I think the original K1 design still has merit. Not everyone wants or needs a taller device with 20% bigger keys, or dual camera. Simply upgrading the internals of the K1 should have been more cost effective than churning out an entirely new model/trim...if the real goal here is to simply offer a lower cost (and refreshed) alternative to the K2. It seems TCL is more fixated on getting their new PKB design and form factor in people's hands than anything else...
    Matte keys -> glossy

Need we say more?
    07-23-18 11:56 AM
    Matte keys -> glossy

Need we say more?
    Ha, yes but I don't think glossy keys alone are necessarily a dealbreaker for everyone. Some people don't mind...and some also have smaller hands. There were certainly enough previous BlackBerry devices that had glossy keys that could warrant an alternate keyboard option. And for a significant discount I'm sure it's a compromise many could live with.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    07-23-18 12:37 PM
    Ha, yes but I don't think glossy keys alone are necessarily a dealbreaker for everyone. Some people don't mind...and some also have smaller hands. There were certainly enough previous BlackBerry devices that had glossy keys that could warrant an alternate keyboard option. And for a significant discount I'm sure it's a compromise many could live with.
    Which BB had such glossy keys besides the p9983?
    07-23-18 12:52 PM
    Which BB had such glossy keys besides the p9983?
    Well, perhaps not glossy in the K1 sense of the term, but not a completely dry matte either. Perhaps 'plasticky' is a closer approximation, as opposed to the K1's 'glass'. What I'm getting at here is there are almost as many different keyboards as there have been BlackBerry phones, and 'matte' is not how I would characterize the vast majority, IMO. So yeah, there's room for a glossy option and besides, the K1 keyboard isn't all THAT bad. I could certainly think of worse, such as the PRIV's for example...
    07-23-18 01:27 PM
    Well, perhaps not glossy in the K1 sense of the term, but not a completely dry matte either. Perhaps 'plasticky' is a closer approximation, as opposed to the K1's 'glass'. What I'm getting at here is there are almost as many different keyboards as there have been BlackBerry phones, and 'matte' is not how I would characterize the vast majority, IMO. So yeah, there's room for a glossy option and besides, the K1 keyboard isn't all THAT bad. I could certainly think of worse, such as the PRIV's for example...
    I never said the KEYone's PKB is THAT bad. It's light years ahead of typing on glass, but I'd like it so much better if it was matte... it's a huge reason why I plan on upgrading to the KEY2. It's actually more for the matte than the bigger keys.
    07-23-18 01:31 PM
39 12