Will the "new button" just be the button that opens the list of apps that is already in the middle of all androids?
    05-26-18 05:25 PM
    That's what I was thinking.
    05-26-18 07:02 PM
    I really dont think it is a app drawer button. more likely that it could be the return of the navigation button like the old blackberries
    05-26-18 07:54 PM
    Maybe the new button ejects the keyboard so you can swap it out for a different coloured one to customise the device. Or maybe it hinges up the PKB to reveal a secret stash compartment, ie bank note or whatever. Or maybe it's just a app drawer button. ;-)

Posted via my Awesome passport
    05-27-18 02:49 AM
    App drawer is the most useless application I can imagine for this button, hope it's configurable
    Jonathan R likes this.
    05-27-18 02:53 AM
    App drawer is the most useless application I can imagine for this button, hope it's configurable
    If it isn't configurable, Button Mapper will do the trick
    05-27-18 03:30 AM
    Exactly that is what I am arguing. I am think it could be a navigation button a la old BB Bold style
    05-27-18 03:04 PM
    From looking at the insides of the BB Launcher and the OS, by default it's for shortcuts, i.e. press and hold new key + one of the letter keys to open an app or do an action or something like that. Compared to how the KEYone did it, it should be accessible anywhere instead of just the home screen. It can also be reconfigured for shift, currency, change language, etc.
    Carjackd, pooyam, gizmo21 and 1 others like this.
    05-27-18 03:32 PM
    I'd like the new button to activate keyboard shortcuts from any location instead of just the home screen.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-28-18 05:30 AM
    From looking at the insides of the BB Launcher and the OS, by default it's for shortcuts, i.e. press and hold new key + one of the letter keys to open an app or do an action or something like that. Compared to how the KEYone did it, it should be accessible anywhere instead of just the home screen. It can also be reconfigured for shift, currency, change language, etc.
    You can give up now. People will still think its for something else even after the device launches.
    H4zN likes this.
    05-28-18 12:55 PM
    Sounds like a great idea. Let me see if I can implement it on my K1 it some way with Buttons Remapper
    05-28-18 03:23 PM
    I did a combo remap with Buttons Remapper for Sym+KEY and it works fine as expected.

It will take some time to remap all the shortcuts I'm used to separately using the app to match that of the BlackBerry Launcher. And some time to get my muscle memory use to it.
    05-28-18 04:27 PM
    Maybe there is something innovative about the button. But the simplest solution is that it just replaces the shift key. The funny icon just indicates that it can be remapped (without 3rd party tools), just like the exisitng shift key could.

If it is a global shortcut access key, that would be pretty cool, and is also plausible.
    05-28-18 04:36 PM
    Makes no sense at all to get rid of the right shift key. There's blank button spots where a new key could have been added without taking any functionality away. I wouldn't buy this phone for that change alone. If I want to capitalize a letter on the left side of the keyboard, of course I'm gonna use the shift on the right side. Even if this turns out to be a key that I can map to anything, what would be the point if I have to map it back to the shift key that was taken away.
    anon(10120165) likes this.
    05-28-18 04:55 PM
    Makes no sense at all to get rid of the right shift key. There's blank button spots where a new key could have been added without taking any functionality away. I wouldn't buy this phone for that change alone. If I want to capitalize a letter on the left side of the keyboard, of course I'm gonna use the shift on the right side. Even if this turns out to be a key that I can map to anything, what would be the point if I have to map it back to the shift key that was taken away.
    I somewhat agree. They should just make hardware physical keys for BACK | HOME | RECENT, then add two programmable keys to the left and right of that:

KEY-A | BACK | HOME | RECENT | KEY-B

I'm assuming they don't want to put anything next to the bottom SHIFT KEYS because it would mess up the physical feel. My mind is use to feeling the outermost keys as SHIFTS.
    05-28-18 05:15 PM
    Wait so you can already read that in the current launcher's coding? If so then you are pretty much confirming what that key is for?
    05-28-18 05:25 PM
    Wait so you can already read that in the current launcher's coding? If so then you are pretty much confirming what that key is for?
    Unless there's some really, really, really last minute changes, then yes.
    05-28-18 05:26 PM
    Maybe there is something innovative about the button. But the simplest solution is that it just replaces the shift key. The funny icon just indicates that it can be remapped (without 3rd party tools), just like the exisitng shift key could.

If it is a global shortcut access key, that would be pretty cool, and is also plausible.

People aren't reading.

It's a programmable key. Make it shift, control, or something else. OR make it the shortcut from anywhere key.
    05-28-18 05:27 PM
    Unless there's some really, really, really last minute changes, then yes.
    Oh well then thats a mystery less to resolve. I have to admit I was hoping for a better surprise then simply shortcut button. Nevertheless it is a cool addition.
    05-28-18 05:29 PM
    People aren't reading.

It's a programmable key. Make it shift, control, or something else. OR make it the shortcut from anywhere key.
    Oh I'm reading. Like I said though, what's the point of adding a "new" programmable key if I have to program it back to something that was taken away. If Blackberry wants to wow me with something new then add it as an additional key. Not innovative in the least.

Edit: If it was a new programmable key, it would have been nice to add an Alt on the right side for example. Then at least I would feel like I'm getting something extra.
    Last edited by Trisk333; 05-28-18 at 05:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    anon(10120165) likes this.
    05-28-18 05:33 PM
    Oh I'm reading. Like I said though, what's the point of adding a "new" programmable key if I have to program it back to something that was taken away. If Blackberry wants to wow me with something new than add it as an additional key. Not innovative in the least.
    I guess you'll have to go with a pkb device from another, more innovative company.
    05-28-18 05:34 PM
    I guess you'll have to go with a pkb device from another, more innovative company.
    I know you're a BlackBerry enthusiast just getting offended that I have an opinion but it's a valid one. You know as well as I do that there aren't anybody else making PKB phones. that doesn't mean these are perfect or don't have room for improvement without taking away from the basics.
    Fred Wu and RK_BB like this.
    05-28-18 05:38 PM
    I would do same think. I like the shift key there. But they could just be changing the icon to reflect what it can already do: be remapped.
    05-28-18 05:41 PM
    I know you're a BlackBerry enthusiast just getting offended that I have an opinion but it's a valid one. You know as well as I do that there aren't anybody else making PKB phones. that doesn't mean these are perfect or don't have room for improvement without taking away from the basics.
    Not even remotely offended. Just not a big fan of hyperbole - "not innovative in the least".
    05-28-18 05:42 PM
    Not even remotely offended. Just not a big fan of hyperbole - "not innovative in the least".
    Well considering that there are already apps out there I could use to remap the right shift key to something else, it doesn't feel like it's innovative in the least to me especially when you take away a useful key to do so.
    Fred Wu and RK_BB like this.
    05-28-18 05:47 PM
53 123