I read an article that Google is phasing out the app version of Android Auto and the new Android Auto will only work with car head units. Does anyone know if that is true? Very disappointing if true.

My wife's car has the AA head unit, but my car is a bit older, so I've been using the app version. Is it possible to have the new version installed to work with my wife's car, while having an older version (sideload apk) to work in my car?
    08-03-19 08:52 PM
    I read an article that Google is phasing out the app version of Android Auto and the new Android Auto will only work with car head units. Does anyone know if that is true? Very disappointing if true.

My wife's car has the AA head unit, but my car is a bit older, so I've been using the app version. Is it possible to have the new version installed to work with my wife's car, while having an older version (sideload apk) to work in my car?
    They are just updating the Android app.
    08-03-19 09:05 PM
    They are just updating the Android app.
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...-driving-mode/

I think this article is a clearer than the last one I read, which said the AA app will no longer work as a phone app.
    08-04-19 10:27 AM
    That's better. No need to be touching your phone anyways while you are driving. Plus the fines are expensive if a cop catches you.
    08-04-19 11:16 AM
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...-driving-mode/

I think this article is a clearer than the last one I read, which said the AA app will no longer work as a phone app.
    I think that is plan for the future and isn't tied into this particular update.
    08-04-19 11:36 AM
    will the future updates make it work over bt like Apple car?

I hate using the wire
    08-04-19 11:39 AM
    will the future updates make it work over bt like Apple car?

I hate using the wire
    They keep talking about wireless, but who knows.
    Last edited by conite; 08-04-19 at 12:31 PM.
    08-04-19 11:41 AM
    They keep talking about it, but who knows.
    I hope they do! If Apple can, then I am sure android can too!
    08-04-19 11:42 AM
    Wireless Car Play and Android Auto both work via WiFi, as Bluetooth isn't nearly fast enough to move the necessary amount of data. Both already exist.
    Denny_Crane likes this.
    08-04-19 12:22 PM
    Wireless Car Play and Android Auto both work via WiFi, as Bluetooth isn't nearly fast enough to move the necessary amount of data. Both already exist.
    How do I set this up on android auto? I've connected my car as a hotspot but makes no difference.

With my friends iPhone it works without any alerts to setting up wireless connection :s
    08-04-19 03:49 PM
    Both the car stereo and the phone have to support wireless Android Auto - and both are pretty short lists right now though support is continuing to slowly grow - much like every other Android standard. It's hard herding cats (or Android phone manufacturers).
    Denny_Crane likes this.
    08-04-19 08:16 PM
    Both the car stereo and the phone have to support wireless Android Auto - and both are pretty short lists right now though support is continuing to slowly grow - much like every other Android standard. It's hard herding cats (or Android phone manufacturers).
    Ooo so I guess it won't work on mine??
    08-05-19 02:51 AM
    You'd have to do a Google and see if your car/car stereo and phone model are supported.
    08-05-19 11:12 AM