First, I want to note what I was doing for a phone in July. I carried a Blackberry Classic with a SIM card as my DD. I also carried a Priv as basically a Phablet. The Priv has no SIM card, but it does have VOIP with Hangouts dialer and GoogleVoice. I need to get a viable PKB phone to replace my EOL but much loved BB Classic. I purchased the Key2 in the hopes that it would be a single phone to replace two. So what did I find?

First, the Key2 does everything adequately. But it does relatively few things really well.

The PKB is not as good as the Classic - in fact, the more I use it, the more I notice it. Why, exactly, is this keyboard less good than a 4 year old model? Is there a compelling reason they could not have simply adopted the old hardware?

Android is not as good as BB10. Things that I took for granted on my Classic simply do not work in Android. Others have commented on the differences. Either they matter to you, or they don't. That said, why have they not improved the software to be close to 4 year old software. They know what to do, why can it not be written?

The screen is not as good as the Priv. Obviously not the same size, but not the same quality either. Again, why is a new phone less good than an old one? I do find the automatic dimming to be better though.

Speaker - same. Priv is better.

Telephony - same. Both Classic and Priv are better. On a 1 to 10, if the Classic is 10, the Priv is 8.5, the Key2 maybe a 7.

Battery - Key 2 is WAY better than both. The charging is way better than both. Priv can be wirelessly charged, but I don't use that functionality. I don't see the necessity, but again, why is an older phone better than the newer one?

Apps - the Key2 works better than either. It really is not close.

Bluetooth - I use a Bluetooth speaker a lot at home. I have been switching back and forth between the Priv and Key2. The Priv always connects. The Key2 seems spotty. Key there is "seems." Further experience necessary.

Cords - I never realized how many mini-USB cords I use. I one in each car, two in the family room, two at each desktop and one in each of my three briefcases. I now need to duplicate much of that group with new Type C cords. I think that has been one of the most bothersome things. I could charge any or all of my devices pretty much anywhere. I am limited to a handful with the new phone. Battery life is therefore essential. As noted, so far so good.

Fingerprint sensor - not as good as the Keyone. It works maybe half the time. Not good. There is a slightly louder click. If others had not noted, I might not have noticed.

Autorotate - seems to work less well than the Priv or the Keyone. Might be something that improves over time. We will see.

I continue to dislike the autosuggestion of words to type. It is distracting at best, annoying at worst.

The capacitive buttons are a little less obtrusive than they were on the Keyone. But why are they not like they were on the Priv? They were not intrusive on that phone at all.

I really miss the trackpad from my Classic. I know I will need to live without it, but....

Camera- I do not really use the Camera. So not an issue either way. That said, comparing photos taken at the same time and place with my phone and my wife's Iphone 7, hers are objectively better. Perhaps it is a settings thing. But... Rely on others' comments rather than mine.

So bottom line - what to do?

I think I am keeping the phone. Why? Well, the Classic is EOL. There are no apps and sooner or later it will stop working. So I need to move on. Like it or not. The Priv was a good idea, but I find it difficult to type on that keyboard. It is too cramped for me. I hope I will get used to the Key2 keyboard, because it is good. Just not a good as it could be nor as good as the Classic.

I am finding that I only carry the Key2 during the day. But as soon as I get home, it gets set down and I use the Priv for internet searching and media consumption etc. I did use the Key2 in that role while on vacation. The Key2 can do it and adequately, just not as well as the Priv.

On the whole, I suspect I will have to make this phone work. I remain frustrated that it was not an improvement over 4 year old designs. The tech was there - why was it not used? I reserve the right to go back to my old Classic/Priv phone/phablet. Those two devices, used together, are largely better than the Key2. But the Key2 is better than either of them alone.
    08-27-18 11:51 PM
    Fair review. I suspect quite a few of us agree with you here on a lot of points (the Classic's keyboard !!!). It comes down to the value you put on the few new features. Coming from a K1, which I owned for a while, a more nicely designed, thinner and lighter phone was a big plus for me. But not quite a revolution, I agree.
    Last edited by Laramie50; 08-28-18 at 02:09 AM.
    jmorgan456 likes this.
    08-28-18 01:57 AM
    Very nice review. I briefly also had the Priv/Classic combo as they complement each other quite well.
    But yeah, the KEY2 is far superior than either of them by itself.

To disable the suggested words while typing, go to:

Settings -> System -> Languages & input -> Keyboard settings -> Blackberry Keyboard -> Prediction and correction -> disable "show predictions"

Once you do that, there will still be the mic/smiley/keyboard/trackpad/clipboard menus that show up while typing, so to get rid of those, go into Settings -> System -> Languages & input -> Keyboard settings -> Blackberry Keyboard -> Keyboard extensions -> disable "show quick modes above keyboard".

After that, nothing will show when typing.
    08-28-18 03:35 AM
    Very nice review. I briefly also had the Priv/Classic combo as they complement each other quite well.
    But yeah, the KEY2 is far superior than either of them by itself.

To disable the suggested words while typing, go to:

Settings -> System -> Languages & input -> Keyboard settings -> Blackberry Keyboard -> Prediction and correction -> disable "show predictions"

Once you do that, there will still be the mic/smiley/keyboard/trackpad/clipboard menus that show up while typing, so to get rid of those, go into Settings -> System -> Languages & input -> Keyboard settings -> Blackberry Keyboard -> Keyboard extensions -> disable "show quick modes above keyboard".

After that, nothing will show when typing.
    Thanks. I was looking for the way to disable predictive text.
    08-28-18 08:42 AM
    Cords - I never realized how many mini-USB cords I use. I one in each car, two in the family room, two at each desktop and one in each of my three briefcases. I now need to duplicate much of that group with new Type C cords. I think that has been one of the most bothersome things. I could charge any or all of my devices pretty much anywhere. I am limited to a handful with the new phone. Battery life is therefore essential. As noted, so far so good.
    Did you just complain about USB C????
    08-28-18 08:46 AM
    No. I noted that the change will require the purchase of new cables. One is not enough. I have perhaps a dozen of the older cables around for the many products that use them. I habitually plug the phone in at various places. (My desk for instance). I cannot now do that with the new phone until I buy new cables. I merely note that I took the number of cables for granted.
    08-28-18 09:05 AM
    No. I noted that the change will require the purchase of new cables. One is not enough. I have perhaps a dozen of the older cables around for the many products that use them. I habitually plug the phone in at various places. (My desk for instance). I cannot now do that with the new phone until I buy new cables. I merely note that I took the number of cables for granted.
    We're still in a transitional period between MicroUSB and USB-C
    08-28-18 09:16 AM
    Understood I see what you are saying now. I read it wrong, my bad

I actually specifically look for USB C now as I have transitioned off of micro USB. So I usually find it annoying the opposite way if a device does not have USB C.
    08-28-18 11:36 AM
    The PKB is not as good as the Classic - in fact, the more I use it, the more I notice it. Why, exactly, is this keyboard less good than a 4 year old model? Is there a compelling reason they could not have simply adopted the old hardware?

Android is not as good as BB10. Things that I took for granted on my Classic simply do not work in Android. Others have commented on the differences. Either they matter to you, or they don't. That said, why have they not improved the software to be close to 4 year old software. They know what to do, why can it not be written?

The screen is not as good as the Priv. Obviously not the same size, but not the same quality either. Again, why is a new phone less good than an old one? I do find the automatic dimming to be better though.

Speaker - same. Priv is better.
    Classic and BB10 was build by BlackBerry Limited, Key2 is from TCL, and Android is made by Google.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-18 04:32 AM

I don't own any devices that has USB-C as I am still on BlackBerry 10 devices but I was wondering if somebody could explain the benefits of it to me?

I understand it's going to be the new standard going forward for the vast majority of devices except for Apple. I guess one of the benefits for having the cables all be the same and have wide adoption like mirco usb is the availability of them everywhere.

I know that when Android friends come over to my house or we have gone out, people always ask do you "have a Samsung Charger" a lot of people don't know what to call them. They are available everywhere and people can just plug and charge for bits at a time.

Now with the standards changing it will take a while for the abundance of chargers to also change and outside of some serious benefits, I can't understand the need for a big change. Just curious and sorry for the long post!

Posted via CB10
    08-29-18 04:44 AM
    I don't own any devices that has USB-C as I am still on BlackBerry 10 devices but I was wondering if somebody could explain the benefits of it to me?

I understand it's going to be the new standard going forward for the vast majority of devices except for Apple. I guess one of the benefits for having the cables all be the same and have wide adoption like mirco usb is the availability of them everywhere.

I know that when Android friends come over to my house or we have gone out, people always ask do you "have a Samsung Charger" a lot of people don't know what to call them. They are available everywhere and people can just plug and charge for bits at a time.

Now with the standards changing it will take a while for the abundance of chargers to also change and outside of some serious benefits, I can't understand the need for a big change. Just curious and sorry for the long post!

Posted via CB10
    There are actually quite a few benefits to USB C. I'll let you judge which ones are "serious benefits"

- Reversible connector, does not matter which way you plug it in
    - Replacing not only data connection like micro usb, but also display ports, thunderbolt, etc.
    - Potentially a solid replacement for the 3.5mm headphone jack (although I prefer the headphone jack)
    - Supports the newest usb standard 3.1 for faster speeds and being able to deliver more power (can deliver 100 Watts of power for charging faster and charge bigger devices such as laptops. Current usb supports )
    - No more crazy different shapes for usb (picture below) everything is the exact same
    - At some point the actual cord on both ends will be the exact same connector
    - It can support adapters that allow you to plug in multiple things all at the same time (second picture below as an example)
    Attached Thumbnails My take on the Key2 after a few weeks....-usb.png   My take on the Key2 after a few weeks....-usb-c-adapter.png  
    08-29-18 08:11 AM
    Keyboard is not as good as on Classic, Q5, Passport, Bold simply due to design and engineering people who have know-how with PKB have left the company long time ago. Manufacturing that has know-how in PKB is not the one that does KEY series. It will take TCL at least one more time before they get it right but I'm afraid the fourth gen KEY is not happening. Maybe they will never get it right if they decide to cut the cost anyway so there is that.

I'm rocking barebones BB10 ever since WA locked me out using the workarounds and I don't care really. I get to play with Android phones every week or so but besides quality of the device manufacturing and some good slab design I don't miss anything Android offers right now. I mean if it takes you 9 OS versions to figure out how to and when user can adjust notifications and media volumes separately than you are doing something terribly wrong
    08-29-18 08:28 AM
    Instead of buying all new charging cables just buy the micro usb to usb c adaptors. You can get a 5 pack for less than $15.
    08-29-18 08:45 AM
    Instead of buying all new charging cables just buy the micro usb to usb c adaptors. You can get a 5 pack for less than $15.
    That would work to at least get you by. But you would miss out on some benefits of the actual upgrade in the cable, specifically power delivery (although not every usb c cable actually supports that either)
    08-29-18 08:47 AM
    Keyboard is not as good as on Classic, Q5, Passport, Bold simply due to design and engineering people who have know-how with PKB have left the company long time ago. Manufacturing that has know-how in PKB is not the one that does KEY series. It will take TCL at least one more time before they get it right but I'm afraid the fourth gen KEY is not happening. Maybe they will never get it right if they decide to cut the cost anyway so there is that.

I'm rocking barebones BB10 ever since WA locked me out using the workarounds and I don't care really. I get to play with Android phones every week or so but besides quality of the device manufacturing and some good slab design I don't miss anything Android offers right now. I mean if it takes you 9 OS versions to figure out how to and when user can adjust notifications and media volumes separately than you are doing something terribly wrong
    I heard some people from BB ltd are part of the design team for BB Mobile.

Maybe the KEY2's keyboard isn't superior to those you mentioned, but I'd say it's good enough. I don't think they can/should make the keys as aggressively sculpted as the Classic for example because you need to be able to comfortably scroll on the keyboard.
    08-29-18 08:52 AM
    I still love the PRIV. But that SD808 is such a pain - slowing down things with extensive use.
    08-29-18 10:26 AM
    I have a love/hate relationship with reviews like this. On one hand, they're generally more objective on the pros and cons.

On the other, the cons are significant enough that I'm hoping a clean install of BB10 will keep me mostly functional until the KEY3. If not, then I'll have to figure out which slab has the fewest compromises for my needs.

I don't have the luxury much less the interest in dual carrying or upgrading every year or two.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    08-29-18 04:10 PM
    I still am on my return window for a few more days (got a K2 from Amazon), coming from K1... I agree with many of your points... the keyboard is better, the screen is the same... the processor and ram are better, and you notice that... but the Bluetooth is worst, no questions in my case... that alone is making me consider to return it and try an all-touch slab... something I do a lot is to listen to music over Bluetooth headphones (when I am traveling, at the gym)... the connection with the phone on front pocket is spotty, here and there you see this... now, phone on the back pocket (which I use when I am walking at the airport with hands busy) is simply unusable... maybe there is an update in less than a week addressing this because if not I prefer to return while I can, stay with the K1, and see if I try a OP 6, or HTC 12+, both have return window of 30 days, no questions asked...
    08-29-18 04:28 PM
    I have a love/hate relationship with reviews like this. On one hand, they're generally more objective on the pros and cons.

On the other, the cons are significant enough that I'm hoping a clean install of BB10 will keep me mostly functional until the KEY3. If not, then I'll have to figure out which slab has the fewest compromises for my needs.

I don't have the luxury much less the interest in dual carrying or upgrading every year or two.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    I'd wait for the KEY2 LE which will be announced in less than 48 hours and see if that fits the bill more than KEYone/KEY2.
    phuoc likes this.
    08-29-18 04:28 PM
    is there anyway to have the keyboard auto detect the language your typing and automatically adjust as it did in the passport. that's the one thing I can say slows my productivity down, remembering what language I'm in before I type a mistake.
    08-29-18 05:06 PM
    Thought about that. But felt I would lose functionality. Plus those things are small and easily lost by themselves.

So far I bought a 3 pack of 1ft wires for the cars. I have a six foot (in pink - ugh) that I carry in the brief case. And the official wire at the home charger.
    08-29-18 11:05 PM
    is there anyway to have the keyboard auto detect the language your typing and automatically adjust as it did in the passport. that's the one thing I can say slows my productivity down, remembering what language I'm in before I type a mistake.
    Of course you can, its called a multi-language keyboard. Just create one in the blackberry keyboard settings.
    08-30-18 01:39 AM
    Thought about that. But felt I would lose functionality. Plus those things are small and easily lost by themselves.

So far I bought a 3 pack of 1ft wires for the cars. I have a six foot (in pink - ugh) that I carry in the brief case. And the official wire at the home charger.
    Wrong post
    08-31-18 05:53 PM
    Hey there... there is a trick in Android that does that... I asked that question when I first got a priv... search for a thread titled "three languages"... you will need to scroll a lot because that was some time ago but when you finally find it do what someone at the end of the thread told me to do and that would give you exactly the same as BB10... I am busy at the moment but if I have a chance later I will copy/paste the instructions... good luck!
    08-31-18 05:56 PM