Hello everyone! Long time no talk.
    I was very excited for the BlackBerry KEY2 when it was announced. It seemed as though TCL genuinely listened to their niche consumer base and improved on everything we wanted changed from the KEYone; this includes laggy software over time, the tight, glossy finished keyboard, the rounded corners feeling slippery in-hand, etc.

Well the KEY2 launched with stunning aesthetics. TCL noticed a tear in the market between which colour people preferred on the KEYone: Silver or Black. Well what did they do? They offered two identical phones in two distinct colours. I was very happy with that move. Next, the keyboard was improved, which is quite certainly the most important aspect of any KEY series device. I wasn’t one who really complained about the KEYone’s keyboard. I have fairly large hands with average sized thumbs, and I tend to just adapt to anything I’m given in a week or so (in VKB’s). My father, on the other hand, has these massive Italian working man’s hands, and he struggled on the KEYone. He now has a KEY2 and is very satisfied with the improved keyboard.

TCL also listened to consumers about the build. They changed those slippery rounded corners to a more squared off feel that really locked into my hands. I appreciated the grippy textured back that replaced that slippery soft touch that was on the KEYone. It felt very similar to that of the BlackBerry Classic.

The biggest improvement with the KEY2 over the KEYone was in fact performance. The 660 chip along side 6GB of RAM was fantastic. In my opinion if they stuck with the same duo in 2019 I’d be perfectly satisfied.

However, that improved keyboard came with a noticeable step backwards, especially from my father’s experience with his massive thumbs. The integrated finger print sensor in the space bar seemed to really take a step back in reliability from my experience. I’m not sure if this was a hardware or software issue, but I definitely noticed this on many different KEY2 units.

Moving on to the KEY3 now, here’s what I think needs to be improved. Firstly, I’d like to touch on the display. Now I don’t think the KEYone or KEY2 had a bad display whatsoever. However, after two consecutive product launches with the same display, it definitely needs to be updated. I’m indifferent in regards to LCD vs OLED debate, I understand the advantages and disadvantages of both. I am a huge advocate for battery life, however; whatever direction TCL chooses to go here, I’m sure battery life will be the top priority.

Secondly, the camera. I think the camera got absolutely roasted for all of 2018 since the KEY2’s launch here in the forums. My honest opinion is I thought the camera was disappointing, especially on the video side of things. Now I’ve heard the camera has improved over the course of multiple software updates, and that if I use the manual settings that I can create a better shot. However, I’ve never really used manual settings. I am not an experienced photographer. I want a camera that I can pull out of my pocket quickly and know that I am going to get a good shot every time. This is what was so reassuring about using my Google Pixel 2XL when I used it, and what Apple has built a reputation for over the years with its cameras. I fully understand the target market for the KEY series, and perhaps the camera isn’t really a priority for that audience. However, for $829.99 + tax here in Canada, (which is a whopping 13% tax here in Ontario), I expect a better camera experience. Let’s see it in 2019 TCL!

And that’s basically it! Others will touch on improved speakers. I honestly don’t consume much media on my smartphone other than the occasional YouTube video here and there. For that, the KEY series devices have been fine so far. For longer sessions I pull out my iPad Pro. I think TCL needs to make sure that finger print sensor is working properly this time around, and let’s knock that camera out of the park this year! I’m totally okay with paying a premium price for a BlackBerry branded device in 2019, let’s just make sure everything about the product is as premium as the price. Thanks for reading!
    01-28-19 11:36 AM
    Having read a lot of the reviews I think this sums up what a lot of people would like to see as An improvement.

If I may add one: swiping up on the PKB to select a suggested word could be improved. (based on what I have been reading on this forum)
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-28-19 11:45 AM
    plus the nav buttons they have to be on screen , too much wasted space between they keyboard and the screen.
    mikeath likes this.
    01-28-19 12:12 PM
    My hopes: Navigation buttons like the Classic
    01-28-19 12:47 PM
    plus the nav buttons they have to be on screen , too much wasted space between they keyboard and the screen.
    Not sure why they did not already do that with the key2. This was one of the big design improvements people suggested shortly after the KEYone was released.
    01-28-19 12:54 PM
    Well I just made the assumption they would be removed entirely in favour of Pie and swipe gestures.
    01-28-19 02:11 PM
    First off, it should come with a display size of 5'0 as many people target the keyboard for limiting the display size.
    Second, the led indicator should be big and as bright as old bold models or classic passport size n type. The way key2's led blinks it just seems like one from today's android all touch devices.
    Third- The ram and processor should fall near or exact in class with the other higher end devices as fingers crossed they'll for sure release lite edition model for key3 as well.

Fourth- Oh God for f**k sake put a freakin camera that should go head to head with Samsung, iPhone or Huawei smartphones, whichever model comes near or before key3's release.

Fifth- The keyboard on key2 is awesome, far greater than the classic,some say it resembles 9900 pkb. The feel of the buttons, not so soft like keyone and not as hard as classic's, this keyboard should go long way with improvements and refinements needed with time.

Sixth- Key3 should come in more color options than just silver n black, maybe they can add red as passport or cobalt blue as classic. More color options will attract more wider audience. Maybe if someone's hesitant to try a pkb in 2019 after all these years but if a red or blue variant catches their eye, they'll surely buy it. And TCL itself said at CES that the LE played a major role in helping the key2 family outselling the keyone as key2 sold nearly at same level as the keyone with LE playing a major role because of those colors which attracted newer young and women users.
    01-29-19 05:43 AM
    Should we expect a Key3? I am using a Pixel 2 but am not happy with the battery life and virtual keyboard. Having been a previous satisfied Blackberry user, I NEED that Blackberry physical keyboard (I hated the my DTEK60). Any news? Should I wait or buy a Pixel 3? Bla1ze? Anybody?
    01-30-19 12:02 PM
    Should we expect a Key3? I am using a Pixel 2 but am not happy with the battery life and virtual keyboard. Having been a previous satisfied Blackberry user, I NEED that Blackberry physical keyboard (I hated the my DTEK60). Any news? Should I wait or buy a Pixel 3? Bla1ze? Anybody?
    No leaks or anything yet but a KEY3 is very likely. Early indications suggest that BB Mobile did very well with the KEY2 and KEY2LE as they got to enter the mid to lower tier market. Their licensing deal has not yet expired; I’d expect to see a KEY3 announced soon, and availability around July depending on your market.
    01-30-19 04:58 PM
    I would just like Passport quality stereo speakers and an OLED display. I'd be ecstatic with those two changes.
    01-30-19 05:34 PM
    OP +1000

and louder
    great antenna
    brighter alt characters on the screen than the LE
    wireless charging?
    01-30-19 07:39 PM
    OP +1000

and louder
    great antenna
    brighter alt characters on the screen than the LE
    wireless charging?
    My Atomic LE has the same brightness on the alt as the alphabet letters.
    01-31-19 11:28 PM
    My Atomic LE has the same brightness on the alt as the alphabet letters.
    Or perhaps should have said bolder alt characters on the keys.
    I know I'm getting older, but in regular daylight conditions the alt characters are hard to make out.
    I would be OK if they were darker to match the regular letters.
    02-01-19 07:57 AM