Decided to pick up the Key2 as I've been itching to go back to the BlackBerry world. Really miss my Z30, and I had the Motion earlier last year but returned it as I found the hub a bit clunky and not very well integrated. It's really too bad OS 10 is no longer maintained... if I could still use the Z30 with all my android apps, native YouTube and Netflix, I probably would.
    For background, I love phones. I dont keep phones long unless i really like them. Up until now, I've been using the Note 9, which has been my daily driver, and i carry a Pixel 3 for work. I do also have an iPhone 6s but that's just to communicate with the family for imessages and facetime. While the note 9 is obviously not a fair comparison against the Key2 performance wise, I will compare how it's been going from the note 9 to the key2. (Note9 pencil excluded)

Physical Keyboard:

This is going to be subjective to everyone, however as a long time BlackBerry user from the early 2000's, up until the Q10, it feels great to have that physical keyboard again. I will say it's taken a few days to get accustomed to a physical keyboard again. I use to blaze across the keys on the Q10 and while I'm sure my speed will get back up there, it just takes a while. While typing on glass can also be speedy, what I've noticed going to the key 2, is that I make far less mistakes, and Samsung & Apple aren't auto-correcting words that I meant to type a certain way. Whew! My biggest annoyance with glass phones are the aggressive auto-corrects for words it doesnt like (I'm looking at you Apple!). I think all phones these days that use virtual keyboards have been pretty good at isolating which key was pressed, however nothing will ever beat a physical keyboard. It's awesome to use for sure.

Display:

It's good. No complaints. I didn't buy it for the screen, obviously, and while it's not going to match the LCD on the note 9 it's pretty good. If you're buying it for the screen, you bought the wrong phone, and that's definitely not to knock the screen as I do find it pretty great. No issues with resolution or DPI, pictures, text all looks great. Colors seem really good. And for some reason, I also find it very easy on the eyes to look at for longer periods than when using my note9 or iPhone.

Performace:

Well... again, I've been using the Note 9 which is one of the ultimate beast phones, so while it's unfair to compare, its actually pretty smooth. I haven't run into any lag, performance slow downs, etc. Apps opens fast, app switching is smooth, overall it's an experience that's equal to using the note 9, benchmarks aside.

Battery:

WOW! Can I say that again? This phones battery life is hands down the best! I took the phone off the charger yesterday morning at 7am, spent a few hours setting it up, installed a bunch of apps, watched some YouTube, checked and replied to email and lots of texts during the day, did NOT charge it overnight, I'm using it today and it's currently at 57%. Unbelievable! And battery saving mode is OFF!

BlackBerry Hub and Suite:

It's good to be back to the hub. What I find annoying using the Note and any android phone is having to flip between gmail, the text app, the phone app, the calendar app, and the BB hub just makes it seamless. It's not like it was on BB OS10, I'm guessing it never will be for obvious OS reasons, but overall it's been great to use again. Everything has been pretty well thought out and makes my work flow nice and easy. I definitely enjoy using the Key2 a ton more over the motion I had tried last year. The whole experience feels more polished, and while there are quirks, and the experience is subjective for everyone, coming from the Note 9 and a Pixel 3 for work, I really enjoy using the Key2 alot more.

Also, i really like how light it is, but I dont find that takes away from the build quality as this phone feels like all the old blackberries from past we love.

I'm probably going to sell my Note 9 and use this as my daily driver going forward, its only been a few days but I'm liking it that much.

Just thought I'd drop my thoughts.
    Last edited by dave343; 01-17-19 at 01:30 PM.
    01-17-19 10:51 AM
    Decided to pick up the Key2 as I've been itching to go back to the BlackBerry world. Really miss my Z30, and I had the Motion earlier last year but returned it as I found the hub a bit clunky and not very well integrated. It's really too bad OS 10 is not longer maintained... if I could still use the Z30 with all my android apps, native YouTube and Netflix, I probably would.
    For background, I love phones. I dont keep phones long unless i really like them. Up until now, I've been using the Note 9, which has been my daily driver, and i carry a Pixel 3 for work. I do also have an iPhone 6s but that's just to communicate with the family for imessages and facetime. While the note 9 is obviously not a fair comparison against the Key2 performance wise, I will compare how it's been going from the note 9 to the key2. (Note9 pencil excluded)

Physical Keyboard:

This is going to be subjective to everyone, however as a long time BlackBerry user from the early 2000's, up until the Q10, it feels great to have that physical keyboard again. I will say it's taken a few days to get accustomed to a physical keyboard again. I use to blaze across the keys on the Q10 and while I'm sure my speed will get back up there, it just takes a little while. Typing on glass I feel can also be speedy but what I've noticed going to the key 2, is that I make far less mistakes, and Samsung and Apple aren't auto-correcting words that I meant to type a certain way. Whew! My biggest annoyance with glass phones are the aggressive auto-corrects for words it doesnt like (I'm looking at you Apple!). I think all phones these days that use virtual keyboards have been pretty good at isolating which key was pressed, however nothing will ever beat a physical keyboard. It's awesome to use for sure.

Display:

It's good. No complaints. I didn't buy it for the screen, obviously, and while it's not going to match the LCD on the note 9 it's pretty good. If you're buying it for the screen, you bought the wrong phone, and that's definitely not to knock the screen as I do find it pretty great. No issues with resolution or DPI, pictures, text all looks great. Colors seem really good. And for some reason, I also find it very easy on the eyes to look at for longer periods than when using my note9 or iPhone.

Performace:

Well... again, I've been using the Note 9 which is one of the ultimate beast phones, so while it's unfair to compare, its actually pretty smooth. I haven't run into any lag, performance slow downs, etc. Apps opens fast, app switching is smooth, overall it's an experience that's equal to using the note 9, benchmarks aside.

Battery:

WOW! Can I say that again? This phones battery life is hands down the best! I took the phone off the charger yesterday morning at 7am, spend a few hours setting it up, installed a bunch of apps, watched some YouTube, checked and rellied email and lots of texts during the day, did NOT charge it overnight, I'm using it today and it's currently at 57%. Unbelievable! And battery saving mode is OFF!

It's good to be back to the hub. What I find annoying using the Note and any android phone is having to flip between gmail, the text app, the phone app, the calendar app, and the BB hub just makes it seamless. It's not like ot was on BB OS10, I'm guessing it never will be for obvious OS reasons, but overall it's been great to use again. Everything has been pretty well thought out and makes my work flow nice and easy. I definitely enjoy using the Key2 a ton more over the motion untried last year, the whole experience feels more polished, and while there are quirks, and the experience is subjective for everyone, coming from the Note 9 and a Pixel 3 for work, I really enjoy using the Key2 alot more.

Also, i really like how light it is, but I dont find that takes away from the build quality as this phone feels like all the old blackberries from past we love.

I'm probably going to sell my Note 9 and use this as my daily driver going forward, its only been a few days but I'm liking it that much.

Great review
    01-17-19 01:12 PM
    Yes, it is a great review. Nice to hear an honest overview from someone who has familiarity with the other devices the OP mentioned. I have only briefly checked out the devices the OP referenced but decided they weren't for me... certainly very good devices but I opted to stay with BlackBerry and I'm very happy with my KEY2.

Thanks for the taking the time to give us your thoughts on the KEY2.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob80220; 01-17-19 at 02:09 PM.
    01-17-19 01:48 PM
    Nice review. Pretty much what I have always thought. It's a good phone not the best phone available spec wise. It is best phone for me hands down. It's a work horse not a race horse so to speak.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    01-17-19 08:01 PM
    Decided to pick up the Key2 as I've been itching to go back to the BlackBerry world. Really miss my Z30, and I had the Motion earlier last year but returned it as I found the hub a bit clunky and not very well integrated. It's really too bad OS 10 is no longer maintained... if I could still use the Z30 with all my android apps, native YouTube and Netflix, I probably would.

Physical Keyboard:

This is going to be subjective to everyone, however as a long time BlackBerry user from the early 2000's, up until the Q10, it feels great to have that physical keyboard again. I will say it's taken a few days to get accustomed to a physical keyboard again. I use to blaze across the keys on the Q10 and while I'm sure my speed will get back up there, it just takes a while. While typing on glass can also be speedy, what I've noticed going to the key 2, is that I make far less mistakes, and Samsung & Apple aren't auto-correcting words that I meant to type a certain way. Whew! My biggest annoyance with glass phones are the aggressive auto-corrects for words it doesnt like (I'm looking at you Apple!). I think all phones these days that use virtual keyboards have been pretty good at isolating which key was pressed, however nothing will ever beat a physical keyboard. It's awesome to use for sure.

Display:

Performace:

Battery:

WOW! Can I say that again? This phones battery life is hands down the best! I took the phone off the charger yesterday morning at 7am, spent a few hours setting it up, installed a bunch of apps, watched some YouTube, checked and replied to email and lots of texts during the day, did NOT charge it overnight, I'm using it today and it's currently at 57%. Unbelievable! And battery saving mode is OFF!

It's good to be back to the hub. What I find annoying using the Note and any android phone is having to flip between gmail, the text app, the phone app, the calendar app, and the BB hub just makes it seamless. It's not like it was on BB OS10, I'm guessing it never will be for obvious OS reasons, but overall it's been great to use again. Everything has been pretty well thought out and makes my work flow nice and easy. I definitely enjoy using the Key2 a ton more over the motion I had tried last year. The whole experience feels more polished, and while there are quirks, and the experience is subjective for everyone, coming from the Note 9 and a Pixel 3 for work, I really enjoy using the Key2 alot more.

Thanks for the detailed review... Welcome to CrackBerry!!!!!!

Post early and post often.... Enjoy your Key2 PKB as you pound out those posts....
    01-17-19 08:20 PM