Hi, I'm new here, so sorry if anybody asked before but...
    ...this morning I tried to log on to my smartphone via the fingerprint reader, but it doesn't work. I tried restarting in different ways, but nothing helped. In addition, the Fingerprint option has completely disappeared from the Security and location menu. I do not understand. I have had my Key2 since June this year and I have never had a problem with it. It bothers me mainly because of internet banking, where I have access via a fingerprint. Do you know anyone please how to solve this problem?
    I hope that's a software problem but...
    Thanks for any advice. I'm from Prague, CZ. And sorry for my English...
    10-06-19 06:20 AM
    Ahoj,

Are you sure it's not working? Can you successfully enroll new fingerprints?

People get the fingerprints set up on the first day when they unbox the phone and then months later your grip of the phone changes as you develop habits.
    10-06-19 08:47 AM
    Well, interesting things happen. In the Security and location menu, I sometimes get a new fingerprint offer and sometimes it's not there at all. However, I cannot enter a new fingerprint because the space button unfortunately does not respond to my touch. But - a moment ago, after another restart, space button (more precisely the fingerprint sensor) began to react again. I opened my cellphone with it. But it only took a short time. After five minutes I tried it again and the sensor was non-inflatable again. I'm confused...
    10-06-19 12:25 PM
    Hi, I'm new here, so sorry if anybody asked before but...
    ...this morning I tried to log on to my smartphone via the fingerprint reader, but it doesn't work. I tried restarting in different ways, but nothing helped. In addition, the Fingerprint option has completely disappeared from the Security and location menu. I do not understand. I have had my Key2 since June this year and I have never had a problem with it. It bothers me mainly because of internet banking, where I have access via a fingerprint. Do you know anyone please how to solve this problem?
    I hope that's a software problem but...
    Thanks for any advice. I'm from Prague, CZ. And sorry for my English...
    Same thing happened to my LE opened up a case with bbmo and they sent a replacement under warranty. They work pretty quick if under a year I highly recommend you do the same.
    10-06-19 12:41 PM
    A replacement means they changed the keyboard? Thanks.
    10-06-19 12:46 PM
    Same thing happened to my LE opened up a case with bbmo and they sent a replacement under warranty. They work pretty quick if under a year I highly recommend you do the same.
    I am sending mine in tomorrow. I asked them to now wipe/reset my device and they told me they can't guarantee. Did they wipe your device when you got it back?
    10-06-19 01:01 PM
    I am sending mine in tomorrow. I asked them to now wipe/reset my device and they told me they can't guarantee. Did they wipe your device when you got it back?
    I got a different device and sent back my defective LE did back and new set
    10-06-19 01:47 PM
    Update: After two days of problems, the reader has resumed normal operation. After ten days, today, but again the same problem. The reader is not working and its settings have disappeared from the options. I'm grumpy. Someone have an idea?
    10-16-19 05:39 PM
    Space key is working perfect, so I think the problem is broken sensor. And there could be something connecetd with BlackBerry Launcher. Or?
    10-17-19 03:48 AM
    Space key is working perfect, so I think the problem is broken sensor. And there could be something connecetd with BlackBerry Launcher. Or?
    Did you try a 32 second reboot?
    Pagosat likes this.
    10-17-19 01:40 PM
    Yep, repeatedly. Ten days ago it helped, not today. I started the sensor briefly in the morning, but it only worked for about a minute. In the afternoon, I called with authorized Czech BlackBerry support and described the problem. I was told that the last chance that it might be "just" a software problem is to reset it to the factory settings. Similar problems were already solved and in 90% of cases the reader started to work again. The remaining 10% was a hardware problem and the keyboard replacement was the solution. I temporarily solved the security with Face Key, I currently have internet banking via PIN. So now I wonder if (when) I will send the phone to the factory settings. Otherwise, the support told me that keyboard problems with Key2 are unfortunately more common, including a "dead" reader. For Key2 Red, however, they encountered this problem for the first time.
    10-17-19 02:32 PM
    Same problem is occurring on my K1
    10-18-19 12:39 AM
    The fingerprint recognition files do sometimes get corrupted delete the old set and create a new set. Make sure you keep the existing password.
    If this fails to fix the problem is probably a mechanical problem and in the UK the phones have a 2-year guarantee as they do in Europe.
    Any phones you need to get in for guaranteed repairs get them in before the 30th of January 2020 ( subject to brexit being finalized on the 31st of January 2020).
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 11-04-19 at 04:48 PM.
    10-20-19 06:36 AM
    The fingerprint recognition files do sometimes get corrupted delete the old set and create a new set. Make sure you keep the existing password.
    If this fails to fix the problem is probably a mechanical problem and in the UK the phones have a 2-year guarantee as they do in Europe.
    Any phones you need to get in for guaranteed repairs get them in before the 30th of October.
    I just got my new Key2 from Go Talk in the USA and I have the same problem. So what is it about "before the 30th of October?"
    11-04-19 04:42 PM
    I just got my new Key2 from Go Talk in the USA and I have the same problem. So what is it about "before the 30th of October?"
    That's the brexit deadline for the 2-year warranties now extended to the 30th of January 2020
    Brexit deadline two year Guarantee reverts to one year after the United Kingdom leaves Europe, unless enshrined in British Law.
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 01-24-20 at 03:05 AM.
    11-04-19 04:47 PM
    That's the brexit deadline for the 2-year warranties now extended to the 30th of January 2020
    Thanks. So in the US with a new phone I should be fine. But, man, sending in a few phone for warranty replacement after losing a couple days getting it set up (business user, as most of us are). I hope it's worth the trouble. I hope what they send back is a newer build and reliable hardware.
    11-04-19 04:49 PM
    I discovered with my Key2 that for some time after initially creating a fingerprint profile/image it's in learning mode and continues adding to that image, during which time it fails to wake up the phone on many of the touches. Eventually, it's done with that learning mode and uses what it's learned and responds almost flawlessly from then on. It might take days or hundreds of touches initially. I was ready to return or replace mine or send it in for repair when suddenly it began working reliably, and I called BlackBerry tech support and they explained the "learning" mode. It's been perfectly fine since!
    11-06-19 04:11 AM
    A funny thing happened. Two days ago there was a big update package. Just for the form I made a restart and - the reader works again. : o) We'll see how long it will last. So would it be a software problem after all ???
    11-07-19 05:04 AM
    I've learned a few things about the fingerprint reader.

For a very accurate diagnostic to show when the fingerprint reader is and is not registering an image, do this (BlackBerry tech support showed me how to do this):

In the phone app enter this code: *#2886#

That brings up the “MMI TEST” screen.

Hit MANU.

That brings up the menu. Hit “FingerPrintEnroll.”

That brings up a screen with a white box and it says to touch the sensor. Every time a finger is placed on the sensor, an image should be taken and registered. This enables the user to see how reliably the image is registering or not. (I have no idea what the difference is between pressing Pass or Fail afterwards. I don't know that it makes any difference. Either will take you back a step and you can just proceed again and again.)

Now, here's the fun part, which is very important for anyone to know who is questioning if they have a faulty fingerprint sensor or not: I did a Google search on fingerprint reliability and a ton of stuff came up explaining that very often it's not the device but the finger itself! Often with age or other wear, or being low on hydration or oils in the fingertip, the device can't read a fingerprint. Do your own Google search and see how much comes up! Many people in law enforcement and security state that very often the equipment fails because of the fingertip involved, and very often they have the subject use a hand moisterizer and then the reading can be taken successfully. So, if it's not reading your thumb print, try a little hand moisturizer (or just wetting your thumb with your mouth and drying it off on your shirt for that matter. And then -- here's the real fun part -- try a different finger, like your index finger. Doing all that with the above diagnostic test procedure, you might be very surprised at the results you get!
    11-11-19 06:35 AM
    It works ! ! ! Reboot the key2 by pressing continuously power button, and the sensor work again
    12-30-19 02:26 PM
    Fingerprint issue Again! Aaaaaarg
    01-23-20 02:38 PM
    My K2 finger print sensor is giving trouble as well. I have deleted all prints and redone them but it's still hit and miss. At first I thought it was me as I have a skin condition that requires frequent moisturizing, so I use the Bluetooth smart lock with my smart watch to open the phone without the fingerprint.

Posted via my beautiful priv
    01-23-20 08:14 PM
    Mine is working flawlessly.

If you ever do a wipe and restore, don't backup everything. Backup the bare essentials.
    01-24-20 12:27 AM
    On my keyone it just stopped working by saying 'Fingerprint hardware not available' after a hard fall on concrete floor.
    New replacement keyboard and it would recognize me again - I did not even had to re register my fingerprints.

So yes, I was a hardware issue in my case.

Never had a fault in my key2 though.
    01-24-20 02:12 AM
    On my keyone it just stopped working by saying 'Fingerprint hardware not available' after a hard fall on concrete floor.
    New replacement keyboard and it would recognize me again - I did not even had to re register my fingerprints.

So yes, I was a hardware issue in my case.

Never had a fault in my key2 though.
    Don't forget to clean the sensor with a fresh clean cloth gently.
    Syncing your screen and camera lens in the proper way with or without a little bit of ethanol alcohol. Don't swamp it. Keep things as dry as possible.

If you use alcohol or any liquid put it on the cloth not on the screen.

Once you have dried the screen you can use that cloth to go over the fingerprint sensor again it's still got just about enough alcohol or other liquid to clean off any remaining junk but do it gently and don't get the keys wet.

then make sure your hands are clean and moisturised after you have used chemical soap rub off the excess moisturiser because your hands should look and feel dry but not over dry.

It is a combination of the oils and moisturiser that assist in fingerprint identification.

Away from that at your fingers may be too dry just breathe on them. No need to make your fingers wet, they just need a little bit of assistance.
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 01-26-20 at 12:29 AM.
    01-24-20 03:16 AM
29 12