I did not manage to get along to this mobile conference this year, my colleagues told me that technology coming from TCL and BlackBerry Mobile was virtually non existence, Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi all talking about their future folding phones and technology, TCL should be releasing new products into the market place like their competitors, but instead they release a pathetic red version of the Key 2 at an over inflated price do they really think that a red version of a phone that has many issues will get us excited, MWC also apparently made it clear that the keypads are returning Nokia I am told had an awesome prototype on display it will only be a matter of time that TCL and BlackBerry will merely be phones of the past if the do not keep up with the competition!
    Vistaus and elfabio80 like this.
    03-01-19 04:33 PM
    I did not manage to get along to this mobile conference this year, my colleagues told me that technology coming from TCL and BlackBerry Mobile was virtually non existence, Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi all talking about their future folding phones and technology, TCL should be releasing new products into the market place like their competitors, but instead they release a pathetic red version of the Key 2 at an over inflated price do they really think that a red version of a phone that has many issues will get us excited, MWC also apparently made it clear that the keypads are returning Nokia I am told had an awesome prototype on display it will only be a matter of time that TCL and BlackBerry will merely be phones of the past if the do not keep up with the competition!
    Like I said ) good luck.
    03-01-19 05:34 PM
    TCL did release fold devices, just not under BB brand. your friend must missed something (google it) - possibly, blind sided by the smart glasses?
    the_boon likes this.
    03-01-19 08:37 PM
    03-01-19 08:50 PM
    Thanks you are right
    03-02-19 04:12 AM
    ha, tell your friend next time it should be you to attend MWC instead ;-).
    03-02-19 06:42 PM
    The interesting note in the article is how TCL acquired BlackBerry.
    george_helgerson likes this.
    03-03-19 03:01 PM
    The interesting note in the article is how TCL acquired BlackBerry.
    Sloppy journalism. TCL has never "acquired" BlackBerry. They are one of 3 manufacturers with a license to produce devices with the BlackBerry name.
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-03-19 03:07 PM
    Hence my comment. I decided to let you guys fill in the blanks.
    03-03-19 03:09 PM
    My guess is that bbmobile is not working out. First BlackBerry seems very little interested but probably wants too much royalty. Second bbmobile's vision for the BlackBerry brand is not extensive. in my view somehow the PRIV experience seemed to chase the brand away from flagship competition. that I think was a mistake. but what do I know.
    03-03-19 09:33 PM
    My guess is that bbmobile is not working out. First BlackBerry seems very little interested but probably wants too much royalty. Second bbmobile's vision for the BlackBerry brand is not extensive. in my view somehow the PRIV experience seemed to chase the brand away from flagship competition. that I think was a mistake. but what do I know.
    Mobile World Congress seemed to indicate a general lack of interest in Blackberry Mobile by TCL. Wouldn't be surprised if they stopped making BlackBerry-branded devices in the near future, especially as they don't do any true marketing, etc.
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-04-19 11:11 PM
    Mobile World Congress seemed to indicate a general lack of interest in Blackberry Mobile by TCL. Wouldn't be surprised if they stopped making BlackBerry-branded devices in the near future, especially as they don't do any true marketing, etc.
    BBMo/TCL is only interested with profits making PKB devices. The fact is that BB wants enough royalties to cover their development expenses plus markup for profit margin. The licensing business model is low risk and low to mid reward.....

What type of results do you expect to chase advertising that wouldn’t just be a waste of resources. The PKB space is niche.
    03-04-19 11:26 PM
    BBMo announced a 10% year-over-year increase in units sold. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    the_boon and Jake2826 like this.
    03-04-19 11:45 PM
    I 100% agree. Don't be surprised if the real reason for the lack of an announcement at MWC and the supposed lack of a need for an annual product cycle is no future products (ie. no Key3). That is definitely a possibility, as none of us know if the Key line is generating enough profits to merit a Key3 from TCL's perspective...
    Vistaus and george_helgerson like this.
    03-05-19 12:12 AM
    I don't think that BlackBerry Mobile will stop selling devices anytime soon, from all indications this appears to be a reasonably successful line of business for TCL. All the news reports and interviews with the management group at BlackBerry Mobile and BlackBerry Ltd have talked positive about this partnership.

This isn't a huge business or anything but it does appear to have some healthy margins of approx 50%.

I do think BlackBerry waiting until the end of the year or even in early 2020 to launch the KEY 2 will help with the business.

Capture more of the Key 1 devices who are slowing / breaking down or people who's contracts are up and than by than some of the early Key 2 users might be ready. BlackBerry devices don't have a huge upgrade cycle either way so they need to make sure they are strategic as much as possible.

Another way of looking at the components that might go into the KEY 3, if they launch them later on in the year the prices of them should be lower which should also boost margins.

Either way, good luck to BlackBerry Mobile!

Posted via CB10
    the_boon likes this.
    03-05-19 12:29 AM
    BBMo/TCL is only interested with profits making PKB devices. The fact is that BB wants enough royalties to cover their development expenses plus markup for profit margin. The licensing business model is low risk and low to mid reward.....

What type of results do you expect to chase advertising that wouldn’t just be a waste of resources. The PKB space is niche.
    Touch screen phones were originally a niche. Smart keyboards for iPads were originally a niche. Know how you become more than a niche? You market to a broader audience -- especially one with renewed concerns about privacy under the competitors. This is their moment to either come back strong or disappear.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    03-05-19 10:27 AM
    I 100% agree. Don't be surprised if the real reason for the lack of an announcement at MWC and the supposed lack of a need for an annual product cycle is no future products (ie. no Key3). That is definitely a possibility, as none of us know if the Key line is generating enough profits to merit a Key3 from TCL's perspective...

The optics of MWC indicate a lack of faith in the future of BlackBerry Mobile devices, which hurts potential sales.
    03-05-19 10:28 AM
    Touch screen phones were originally a niche. Smart keyboards for iPads were originally a niche. Know how you become more than a niche? You market to a broader audience -- especially one with renewed concerns about privacy under the competitors. This is their moment to either come back strong or disappear.
    Apart from a few businesses, how many people are clamouring over BBMo devices for its kernel security enhancements?
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-05-19 12:04 PM
    Apart from a few businesses, how many people are clamouring over BBMo devices for its kernel security enhancements?
    Yeah, basically no one. Quite a few people do talk about their privacy concerns, but they never really take action. Not to mention the fact that in the real world (or at least in my country) a lot of people are surprised BlackBerry is still alive and kicking whenever they see my BlackBerry (although less stressful with my KEY2 than with my Passport, but still). So even if they were to express any interest into a more privacy-oriented device, they would not go for BlackBerry anyway as they think BlackBerry is dead.
    03-05-19 12:13 PM
    TCL did release fold devices, just not under BB brand. your friend must missed something (google it) - possibly, blind sided by the smart glasses?
    No, TCL showed some concepts in picture form of what they would like to do. Big difference in that and what Samsung and Huawei showed (not that they showed much either). But TCL's most expensive phones are the two BlackBerries, next is a $175 Alcatel phone... so not sure what TCL thinks they will do with folding screens.... they don't have customers that buy $2000 phones.

Did make it clear that the now twice promised SLAB isn't coming....
    03-05-19 01:46 PM
    No, TCL showed some concepts in picture form of what they would like to do. Big difference in that and what Samsung and Huawei showed (not that they showed much either). But TCL's most expensive phones are the two BlackBerries, next is a $175 Alcatel phone... so not sure what TCL thinks they will do with folding screens.... they don't have customers that buy $2000 phones.

Did make it clear that the now twice promised SLAB isn't coming....
    At least consumers are snapping up their $500 to $1,000 TVs faster than they can make them. Hopefully this will translate at some point.

They're also rated as the best bang-for-the-buck TVs in the world by many reputable sources.
    03-05-19 01:50 PM
    At least consumers are snapping up their $500 to $1,000 TVs faster than they can make them. Hopefully this will translate at some point.

They're also rated as the best bang-for-the-buck TVs in the world by many reputable sources.
    Agree... the brand they ought to use here is TCL and not the rented Alcatel.

If there was a sound business reason to do so...

TCL Limited is a big company.... but their smartphone division is in trouble, and I'm not sure pushing out premium phones will fix that. With Huawei, Oppo and Xiaomi dominating the Chinese market and working off what many believe is $15 per device market ups.... that doesn't leave much room for little TCL to squeeze in there - or anywhere.

The only plus I really see for TCL/Alcatel.. is they didn't get lumped in with the other Chinese smartphone makers, and thus they have a small presences in the US market. If they could work some magic and offer up a OnePlus like solution (Quality, Value, Flagship)... that is something that is missing here (other than T-Mobile).
    03-05-19 02:44 PM
    You’re not listening. There’s no coming back strong. VKBs are the preferred form due to media consumption. BBMo/TCL is aware of the situation and is going the course that has the greatest probability of success for themselves.
    03-05-19 08:32 PM
    You’re not listening. There’s no coming back strong. VKBs are the preferred form due to media consumption. BBMo/TCL is aware of the situation and is going the course that has the greatest probability of success for themselves.
    Yeah, coming back and staying would be way enough success
    03-05-19 09:06 PM
    Agree... the brand they ought to use here is TCL and not the rented Alcatel.

If there was a sound business reason to do so...

TCL Limited is a big company.... but their smartphone division is in trouble, and I'm not sure pushing out premium phones will fix that. With Huawei, Oppo and Xiaomi dominating the Chinese market and working off what many believe is $15 per device market ups.... that doesn't leave much room for little TCL to squeeze in there - or anywhere.

The only plus I really see for TCL/Alcatel.. is they didn't get lumped in with the other Chinese smartphone makers, and thus they have a small presences in the US market. If they could work some magic and offer up a OnePlus like solution (Quality, Value, Flagship)... that is something that is missing here (other than T-Mobile).
    Alcatel has a strong presence in some European countries, so Alcatel's situation is not too bad. The main issue with Alcatel is updates, or rather the lack thereof...
    03-06-19 12:22 PM
68 123