Did a factory reset on a refurb Key2 as my previous one's battery was down to 40% capacity, the charge port was so finicky that it was more magic than applied process to get the power to connect. And it was doing some funky things that were probably due to me dropping it on its head too many times (even encased).

In any event, I did a Google backup restore and then grappled with getting things set back up.

I noticed a few things though ... like certain docs / downloads and certain contacts not transferring. There may be a few other things as well.

I've considered using the content transfer but:
    * will I end up with all my sms and contacts or other files doubled up?
    * might there be issues from running content transfer after having manually set up accounts etc?

I've considered trying to figure out what did *not* make the leap and, file by file, build up a transfer folder on my laptop and then dragging the files over.

Or doing another wipe - which would be okay, but I would appreciate advice on what to do once I've booted up from the wipe.

Advice appreciated. Comments on the value of going to the refurb might be helpful, amusing or cathartic, but for better or worse, that ship has sailed.

As always - thanks everyone for being here.
    12-05-21 02:03 AM
    Did a factory reset on a refurb Key2 as my previous one's battery was down to 40% capacity, the charge port was so finicky that it was more magic than applied process to get the power to connect. And it was doing some funky things that were probably due to me dropping it on its head too many times (even encased).

In any event, I did a Google backup restore and then grappled with getting things set back up.

I noticed a few things though ... like certain docs / downloads and certain contacts not transferring. There may be a few other things as well.

I've considered using the content transfer but:
    * will I end up with all my sms and contacts or other files doubled up?
    * might there be issues from running content transfer after having manually set up accounts etc?

I've considered trying to figure out what did *not* make the leap and, file by file, build up a transfer folder on my laptop and then dragging the files over.

Or doing another wipe - which would be okay, but I would appreciate advice on what to do once I've booted up from the wipe.

Advice appreciated. Comments on the value of going to the refurb might be helpful, amusing or cathartic, but for better or worse, that ship has sailed.

As always - thanks everyone for being here.
    Just copy the missing files.
    mngreen likes this.
    12-05-21 11:19 AM
    Google's "cloud backup" won't backup things like contacts saved into the phone itself (which is a terrible, outdated practice that you should not be doing anyway), or documents saved into your Downloads folder. Anytime you add a contact, you should be prompted as to which account you want to save that contact in, and you should always select your Google account (or, perhaps, your Outlook account) so that contact will be saved into the cloud. That way, when you get a new phone, you need only log in to that account and your contacts are restored. It also allows you to edit those contacts on other devices (your PC, for example) and they'll get synced to all of your other devices.

The same with documents and pictures - make sure those are being backed up to a cloud account - do NOT rely on an SD card (or the phone's built-in storage) alone!

I've done 4 phone switch-overs over the last 7 years, and aside from one or two apps that don't cloud-sync data (which means I have to manually back up and restore the data from those apps), all I have to do is log into my Google account and "accept" when prompted to restore from my previous backup, and everything is there - even all of my WiFi credentials. But I use cloud-synced email, messaging, photos, videos, and the data for nearly all of my apps is cloud-synced.

If my phone is ever lost, stolen, or destroyed, I can literally buy a new phone, log into it, and in 30 minutes, virtually everything is fully restored, without me having to do anything else. That only works when you take advantage of cloud-based services, though, and while you CAN back up most things manually, Android is certainly not optimized for that and almost no one backs up their data anywhere near often enough if they're doing it manually - few "manual backup" people have a backup less than 6 months old. That's why it makes little sense to avoid cloud-sync - my data is backed up as of 2 minutes ago, so I will lose nothing in the event of a phone disaster other than the device itself.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    12-12-21 03:25 AM
    [QUOTE=Troy Tiscareno;13609655]Google's "cloud backup" won't backup things like contacts saved into the phone itself (which is a terrible, outdated practice that you should not be doing anyway), or documents saved into your Downloads folder. Anytime you add a contact, you should be prompted as to which account you want to save that contact in, and you should always select your Google account (or, perhaps, your Outlook account) so that contact will be saved into the cloud. That way, when you get a new phone, you need only log in to that account and your contacts are restored. It also allows you to edit those contacts on other devices (your PC, for example) and they'll get synced to all of your other devices.

Troy, I just looked at my contacts after reading your comments. I noticed I have been saving all my contacts under Local Contacts and not my gmail account. Is there any way to copy over the contact list? If not, I will have just under 800 contacts to enter manually.
    12-12-21 04:59 AM
    This can vary depending on the brand of your phone, but many Contacts apps will allow you to export an entire account's contacts into a VCF or CSV file, which you can then import into your Google account.

If the built-in Contacts app won't do it, there are apps in Google Play that can definitely do this. There's no need to do it manually. But going forward, make sure you are saving new contacts into your Google account. That will completely prevent this problem going forward. IMO, "local contacts" shouldn't even be an option in 2021 - that's an obsolete feature that lends itself to data loss.
    12-13-21 03:46 AM
    This can vary depending on the brand of your phone, but many Contacts apps will allow you to export an entire account's contacts into a VCF or CSV file, which you can then import into your Google account.

If the built-in Contacts app won't do it, there are apps in Google Play that can definitely do this. There's no need to do it manually. But going forward, make sure you are saving new contacts into your Google account. That will completely prevent this problem going forward. IMO, "local contacts" shouldn't even be an option in 2021 - that's an obsolete feature that lends itself to data loss.
    My K2LE is the problem child. I will check it out and see what I can find. If the phone wont let me do it. I will then explore the app store.

Thanks
    12-13-21 04:51 AM
    Troy there was a copy feature. My K1 and My K2LE both have it. Took all of 10 seconds from start to finish.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-13-21 05:53 AM
    And now you never have to worry about this again. And you can get to all of your contacts from your PC, and you can even Merge contacts using the desktop feature, which is handy if you have duplicate contacts.
    12-14-21 12:09 AM
    Thanks Tony. glad the op put this thread up. I caught my phone setting mistake because of his thread and your comment.
    12-16-21 03:36 AM
    Thanks Tony. glad the op put this thread up. I caught my phone setting mistake because of his thread and your comment.
    Happy to have helped.
    12-16-21 04:52 PM
    Happy to have helped.
    12-16-21 07:43 PM