Hey, Messages app on my Indian edition KEY2 doesn't often show an image icon or name against the text messages.

In other words, if I go into the app all I mostly see is a list of phone numbers, with the first digit missing - and it doesn't recognise that the message is from a known contact.

For a small appearingly random contacts, instead of the number is shows their contact name and a photo icon too.

If I go to start a new chat, then it has no problem in recognising my contacts, shows their full names and photo icon's too... but the resulting message thread still fails to show their name.

Maybe I should clear the app cache? I'd hate to wipe out all my message history though.

Has anyone else seen this or have any suggestions?

thanks!

Antony.
    08-14-19 01:44 AM
    Hey, Messages app on my Indian edition KEY2 doesn't often show an image icon or name against the text messages.

In other words, if I go into the app all I mostly see is a list of phone numbers, with the first digit missing - and it doesn't recognise that the message is from a known contact.

For a small appearingly random contacts, instead of the number is shows their contact name and a photo icon too.

If I go to start a new chat, then it has no problem in recognising my contacts, shows their full names and photo icon's too... but the resulting message thread still fails to show their name.

Maybe I should clear the app cache? I'd hate to wipe out all my message history though.

Has anyone else seen this or have any suggestions?

thanks!

Antony.
    It only shows avatars of those who have Google accounts and have uploaded a picture.

Maybe you can try some other SMS apps instead - like Textra.
    08-14-19 09:07 AM
    Thanks, but it's not that. The picture icon that is usually displayed comes from the picture I have assigned to the contact.

The Messenger app is sometimes not recognising that the text message has come from a known contact. It thinks its a new contact, as it offers to create a new contact for those messages.

I think it is because Messenger is somehow missing knowing the first digit of the number that sent the message, and this causes it to not match an existing contract.

Quite why the first digit is being randomly dropped from some messages is the mystery!
    08-14-19 04:45 PM
    I solved my problem

I took the plunge and cleared cache AND cleared data - and this reset all my settings, but I didn't loose any messages.

All of my messages are now correctly matched to a contact
    08-14-19 07:37 PM
    I solved my problem

I took the plunge and cleared cache AND cleared data - and this reset all my settings, but I didn't loose any messages.

All of my messages are now correctly matched to a contact
    Nice!
    08-14-19 07:47 PM