Hello ladies and gentlemen. Ive noticed a lot of you have been BB users your entire life. And since it looks like the end is nigh, im here to offer somewords of reflection.
    Unlike many of you, I am not a native Berry person. I only started with the Q10, then the Passport, then Key1 and Key2. But BB10 especially was the closest to replacing the Symbian stability and functionality I had become used too. I tried early android, tried windows phone 8 (also good for the time) but Blackberry was the closest to Symbian.
    However when the Priv came out, the writing was on the wall for BB10. When Nokia announced the Lumia 900 they claimed to keep supporting symbian for the forseeable future. But split focus doomed future symbian projects. When Blackberry split focus between android and BB10 it was a major case of Deja Vu. We were lucky on the BB10 side that support lasted longer, but the cracks started showing soon and often.
    Which brings us to today. Many Key users are contemplating other phones as replacements. This is the right thing to do. TCL has very little interest in BB hardware and blackberry itself is focused on IOT and automotive software, let alone security packages. So once again, its time to look for hardware that will accomplish your needs as a user. But dont forget, part of the reason that we have a powerful smartphone market is the devices and software that came before. And Blackberry was a large part of that history.
    Posted from my Titan, inspired by the Passport.
    06-07-20 04:19 PM
    TCL has zero interest now. The most important thing now is to support either proprietary Android hardware, alternatively, their largest OEM, and some Android One model from the largest remaining OEMs going forward. All the rest of the OEMs are being squeezed out.
    06-07-20 07:52 PM
    As an old symbian user, I just know that symbian was stable system once you told me..
    Drg84 likes this.
    06-08-20 06:30 AM
    It would be nice to get Android 9 for the KEYone and KEY2 and be able to use these devices with updates for another 4-5 years.

The hardware specs for both devices should be just fine for the intended use for this timeframe.

Perhaps BlackBerry will consider making new devices within the next 5 years.

They will come back with something new.
    tommichael88 likes this.
    06-08-20 07:20 AM
    my eyesight is getting poor and for me, I'm jumping to a note10 plus soon because it's big enough for me to see. if a key 3 had come out and it was physically bigger, then I'd stay with the brand. It's sad they've kinda pulled out for now. I have keyone, 2 and a motion I won as a delta tester for BlackBerry.
    06-08-20 07:54 AM
    my eyesight is getting poor and for me, I'm jumping to a note10 plus soon because it's big enough for me to see. if a key 3 had come out and it was physically bigger, then I'd stay with the brand. It's sad they've kinda pulled out for now. I have keyone, 2 and a motion I won as a delta tester for BlackBerry.
    One of the most annoying things about the normalization of huge phones is that designers have modified their designs so that small screens are much harder to use than they used to be.

I have no problem rending the screen on my Z10 but my new iPhone SE, with a larger, more advanced screen, shows less text but makes it harder to read.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    X-Sym likes this.
    06-08-20 08:08 AM
    One of the most annoying things about the normalization of huge phones is that designers have modified their designs so that small screens are much harder to use than they used to be.

I have no problem rending the screen on my Z10 but my new iPhone SE, with a larger, more advanced screen, shows less text but makes it harder to read.

The iPhone 11 Pro Max might help with old eyes...

Couldn't help myself ;-)
    06-08-20 08:53 AM
    The iPhone 11 Pro Max might help with old eyes...

Couldn't help myself ;-)
    I'd rather buy an iPad Pro if I'm gonna go big.

SoundChaser007 likes this.
    06-08-20 08:56 AM
    Never thought I'd entertain an Apple product, yet her I am eying the SE.
    With the Keys I tolerated Android. It is certainly not worth putting up with without a keyboard.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    06-08-20 08:56 AM

I am very shocked . An iphone SE? I agree though. Your Z10 has a much better keyboard and font display. There are various settings to play with that can possibly improve legibility.
    06-08-20 09:07 AM
    I've been trying to figure out what my next phone will be.

I'm not big on Apple but if it met these requirements I would consider one:

1) waterproof
    2) expandable memory
    3) at least 8 megs Ram
    4) at least 128 gigs onboard
    5) long lasting battery
    6) if Android then ideally latest version

Trying to keep the cost down so price becomes an issue.

Any thoughts on which device?

Thanks,

..Tom
    06-08-20 10:55 AM

1) waterproof
    2) expandable memory
    3) at least 8 megs Ram
    5) long lasting battery

Thanks,

..Tom
    Samsung S10e fits those specs (except 6GB ram) for around $550. You could even get a refurbished S10 (8 GB) for less (Amazon renewed for $450).

There are also a lot of Huawei products that fit the description, but I wouldn't touch them anymore.
    Last edited by conite; 06-08-20 at 11:20 AM.
    hamilgs and V-Tom like this.
    06-08-20 11:06 AM
    Pretty much the same reasons that I am eyeing the new iPhone SE
    Coachbulldog and elfabio80 like this.
    06-08-20 11:57 AM
    I am very shocked . An iphone SE? I agree though. Your Z10 has a much better keyboard and font display. There are various settings to play with that can possibly improve legibility.
    The iPhone replaced my KEYone for apps. I use it less than 30 min a day, which is more than I used my KEYone!

My Z10 is still my daily driver.

Significantly, all of my phones are now WiFi-only, tethered to a mobile hotspot when not on a private WiFi network. I no longer use my carrier -assign numbers for anything at all.

06-08-20 04:32 PM
    I'd rather buy an iPad Pro if I'm gonna go big.

I know but it didn’t have the same humorous punch line effect.
    06-08-20 05:36 PM

1) waterproof
    2) expandable memory
    3) at least 8 megs Ram
    5) long lasting battery

Thanks,

..Tom
    I believe the XR and the base 11 meet #1,4,5 requirements and you don’t need 8GB of RAM since iOS hardware and software is optimized far better since proprietary. Not sure why you’d want #2 because you can buy higher internal storage.

I carry Android/iOS hardware and the XR has easily become my primary over LG V30 and I considered 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max against LG V60 and G8X ( other LG flagship ) but I’m cheap since the XR carries two of my primary lines.

If Android was preference, I’d go the LG V60 since aggressive pricing is so common
    V-Tom likes this.
    06-08-20 05:46 PM
    It's not the end of the world. Been using BBs since 2006. I'm now comfortable enough with a virtual keyboard. In fact, I use the voice dictation feature a lot. But yeah, life goes on. I'm loving the Pixel 4xl. The software is smooth. The feature drops are nice. And the prompt monthly security updates is what I like the most. This is what the Key series should have been from the start. No regrets and I don't miss my K2 enough to go back.
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-08-20 05:49 PM
    I too have been a long time Blackberry user and enthusiast, although I missed some of them due to IT departments bouncing around with Samsung and iPhone. I primarily love the PKB of our Berry’s, not so much the the K2 with all its issues. The K1 was a much more solid and forgiving keyboard. That being said, I still have my Passport as backup, best PKB ever! But now my primary device is the iPhone 11 Pro, it is a beast of a device. It will check all your boxes as you can get one up to 512gb storage. Also, only Android needs more ram as they are terrible at optimizing their ecosystem, no such worries with iPhone. The device is also on the heavy side, coming in at 188gm. And then there is the battery life, and oh my this is not like any other iPhone, it will last the day and more under heavy abuse. Then finally, for us Blackberry guys, there are the camera’s, best in class period! Whether photos or videos, it is the gold standard, never knew I needed a good camera until now, I actually leave my Canon at home with no worries. So, morale of the story, with 5 years plus support and all the other goodies, I can confidently recommend this beast. Something I could not do with my K2. Good luck and good hunting!
    06-08-20 10:41 PM
    Then finally, for us Blackberry guys, there are the camera’s, best in class period! Whether photos or videos, it is the gold standard
    The iPhone 11 Pro Max camera is the only Apple to appear in the top 27 (number 13).

Seems Samsung, Huawei/Honor, Xiaomi, and OnePlus/Oppo own that space.

Certainly better than anything put in a BlackBerry though - no doubt about that.

If you like to tinker, customise, or block trackers, then Android is the only alternative.

But no doubt iPhone is a simple, no-nonsense device for people who just want things to work out of the box - according to exactly how Jobs wanted them to of course.
    Last edited by conite; 06-08-20 at 11:33 PM.
    06-08-20 11:15 PM
    Hahaha, ok. You can find a rating difference on any product if your looking for one in fact there are umpteen reputable sites that put the iPhone 11 Pro 1 or 2. That being said, unless you try it and speak from experience ratings are also all subjective and prone to bias. My household has had iPhones, Samsung’s and Huwawei, all flagship devices, and I can say with confidence that it most definitely is one of the very best in class. Although, regular Joe’s like you and I will never use them to their full potential. And your bias towards everything Apple is well documented here.
    06-08-20 11:38 PM
    I think I'm going to go back to Nokia for my next device. Possibly their new 8.3 device coming out soon.
    06-08-20 11:49 PM
    Hahaha, ok. You can find a rating difference on any product if your looking for one in fact there are umpteen reputable sites that put the iPhone 11 Pro 1 or 2. That being said, unless you try it and speak from experience ratings are also all subjective and prone to bias. My household has had iPhones, Samsung’s and Huwawei, all flagship devices, and I can say with confidence that it most definitely is one of the very best in class. Although, regular Joe’s like you and I will never use them to their full potential. And your bias towards everything Apple is well documented here.
    Preference is important for sure. But colour accuracy, noise, stabilisation, distortion, artifacts, focus, exposure, and geometry are things you can quantify and objectively compare - and are often things many people don't notice all of the time. That's where the successful camera reviewers come in.

Most can be fooled by simply over-saturating colours and/or cranking up brightness. Case in point, you might remember the time the KEY² won that on-line camera contest against the best phones in the world.

No doubt Apple is a player and a regular contender for top 10 status. But we can share the love too. Its camera alone is not really a differentiator.
    Last edited by conite; 06-09-20 at 07:04 AM.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    06-08-20 11:50 PM
    Again, that’s a good one since most reviewers state that the iPhone 11 Pro photos are under saturated. Have a nice evening, conite.

Sorry, you keep editing your posts, tough to keep up. If you read my initial post, the camera’s were my second to last point with several preceding points of differentiation. But then again, you knew that. Carry on.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 06-09-20 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Name change.
    06-08-20 11:56 PM
    If I was going to buy a phone at this point to replace my KEYone BE, I would consider a Razer phone 2. But my KEYone BE is in such great shape, there's no point. Still looks and runs great. Precisely because BlackBerry is pretty much dead for future phone releases from any source, I'd just assume ride what I have into the ground.
    06-09-20 05:34 AM
    If I was going to buy a phone at this point to replace my KEYone BE, I would consider a Razer phone 2. But my KEYone BE is in such great shape, there's no point. Still looks and runs great. Precisely because BlackBerry is pretty much dead for future phone releases from any source, I'd just assume ride what I have into the ground.
    Razer 2 seem to be rather expensive for their age / specs. Kind of like the Key2 of VKB phones....
    06-09-20 05:47 AM
181 123 ...