Ok so I have not bought a key2 - yet. But I have to ask myself: Why spend 650 euro or over CAD 850 with tax on a phone "sight unseen" ? I mean I live in Italy but finding a Key2 to view and touch is almost impossible. I was just in Paris and it was the same problem. I was in Canada where yes some OEMs have a model on display but very few retail outlets. How can a phone be successfully marketed in this way? By contrast one can find apple stores everywhere, and Samsung phones at all major outlets. Same for Huawei and now also Oppo, LG, Sony, 1+ and even Nokia is back. Even at airport stores I don't see BlackBerry/TCL phones anymore. Seeing and touching a phone is critical.
    01-09-19 02:07 PM
    Ok so I have not bought a key2 - yet. But I have to ask myself: Why spend 650 euro or over CAD 850 with tax on a phone "sight unseen" ? I mean I live in Italy but finding a Key2 to view and touch is almost impossible. I was just in Paris and it was the same problem. I was in Canada where yes some OEMs have a model on display but very few retail outlets. How can a phone be successfully marketed in this way? By contrast one can find apple stores everywhere, and Samsung phones at all major outlets. Same for Huawei and now also Oppo, LG, Sony, 1+ and even Nokia is back. Even at airport stores I don't see BlackBerry/TCL phones anymore. Seeing and touching a phone is critical.
    It is possible on almost any TIM stores or even in the smartphone area Auchan...for sure the avaliability of Blackberry smartphones vs other brands is impressionably low....
    01-09-19 02:18 PM
    ...I mean I live in Italy...
    Because you live in paradise! So jealous....
    Vistaus and elfabio80 like this.
    01-09-19 02:40 PM
    I agree. But on the other hand One Plus camehere online as well.
    Let's face it, unless BlackBerry Mobile is going to come with something groundbreaking (or high end against budget pricing) they will never gain marketshare again.
    Maybe they don't want to either...
    Byrese likes this.
    01-09-19 02:44 PM
    It is possible on almost any TIM stores or even in the smartphone area Auchan...for sure the avaliability of Blackberry smartphones vs other brands is impressionably low....
    Honestly I have been to quite a number of Tim stores in Rome without seeing them. Nothing at Unieuro or Mediaworld. Nothing at airports. I have not been to Auchan. In Paris I was at Darty but saw nothing. FNAC on the Champs Elysee did not have it. I found a Key2 at one other FNAC. Ok I have not been exhaustive but it seems scarce to me. If you have a different experience that's good news.
    01-09-19 02:48 PM
    Because you live in paradise! So jealous....
    Here phone plans are so cheap... a real paradise.
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-09-19 02:50 PM
    Here phone plans are so cheap... a real paradise.
    Best food - check
    Best cars - check
    Best style - check
    Best soccer - check

And the list goes on and on and on....
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-09-19 02:54 PM
    Best food - check
    Best cars - check
    Best style - check
    Best soccer - check

And the list goes on and on and on....
    .......it does.
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-09-19 03:03 PM
    Best fútbol - check
    Fixed... 👍

Bob
    01-09-19 04:05 PM
    Fixed...

Bob
    Totally!!! What an atrocious error on my part.
    01-09-19 04:06 PM
    Honestly I have been to quite a number of Tim stores in Rome without seeing them. Nothing at Unieuro or Mediaworld. Nothing at airports. I have not been to Auchan. In Paris I was at Darty but saw nothing. FNAC on the Champs Elysee did not have it. I found a Key2 at one other FNAC. Ok I have not been exhaustive but it seems scarce to me. If you have a different experience that's good news.
    Every "Boulanger" store I went to in Paris had the KEY2, and some even had the LE if I remember correctly.

Also, most "Orange" carrier stores have at least one of them on display, if not both.
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-09-19 05:01 PM
    Also here in the north in Unieuro or Mediaworld I never seen the key2 but the keyone yes...the key2 if you ask at a Tim store they have it with a promo, I don't know if there is already...

https://www.blackberryclic.com/2018/...llofferta-tim/
    Last edited by blackbp; 01-09-19 at 06:37 PM.
    01-09-19 05:56 PM
    BlackBerry Mobile doesn't want anyone to see how bad the camera is for the pricetag.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    01-09-19 07:41 PM
    I think you make a valid point. It seems to me that this phone is probably being primarily marketed to enterprise (directly to IT people etc.) at the expense of consumer marketing. I know that this is their primary market but you're right. They should be more prominent in the consumer space.
    01-09-19 09:58 PM
    Every "Boulanger" store I went to in Paris had the KEY2, and some even had the LE if I remember correctly.

Also, most "Orange" carrier stores have at least one of them on display, if not both.
    This is good to hear. I was at an Orange store when the KEYone came out and I knew carried the phone but they didn't have one to show. It's often the same with Tim here in Italy. My point is that you can almost always find other major brands, see what they are like, push any buttons etc before you decide to buy it. That's important given the cost. Even more important for the Key2 whose keyboard could convince anyone to buy it. This is all just a comment on strategy.
    01-09-19 10:43 PM
    fully agree...
    blackberry's are impossible to find in stores in the Netherlands. how on earth are they gonna sell unless they only count on people that already own one and want to upgrade without ever holding one.
    I've been in stores where employees told me that blackberry doesn't exist anymore... 'who wants to buy a blackberry? , no blackberry are not for sale anymore'....
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    01-10-19 05:44 AM
    fully agree...
    blackberry's are impossible to find in stores in the Netherlands. how on earth are they gonna sell unless they only count on people that already own one and want to upgrade without ever holding one.
    I've been in stores where employees told me that blackberry doesn't exist anymore... 'who wants to buy a blackberry? , no blackberry are not for sale anymore'....
    I would guess that BB Mobile would want nothing more than to have all of their devices in every major retailer store around the globe.

They probably spend whatever limited marketing money they have on the key markets which are worth the risk.

If the demand for BB's is higher in France/UK than in the Netherlands, then this is what we end up with.

Actually, the demand in France seems to be significant enough for BB Mobile to bother making a specific keyboard layout for them (AZERTY).
    01-10-19 07:36 AM
    In Canada ...stumbled across some models without intentionally looking for them at "The Source" and at "Staples"....Staples was annoying because they left the password on so you couldn't play around with the powerd Key2, even though it was a demo...not sure why that particular store did that, the other demo phones were not password locked. The source didn't have them powered up at all. I suppose I could have asked, but it would have been nice not to have to ask to try out their demo models. I didn't check the Carrier stores or the independent phone kiosks...because I wasn't particularly looking for phones that day.

In Rome the only Phone related thing I noticed, cause I wasn't out shopping for them, was the YUGE Samsung ad (not digital by the way)....I can't remember several stories tall?, at or near the walkway to St Peter's Basilica and the Vatican from the River while wandering in Rome powered by my unusually low carbon footprint Two Feet (tm)....powered by amazing Pizza's and Gelato, and rested and recharged by many amazing fountains and Churches.
    01-10-19 08:30 AM
    In case anyone wanted to see the ad....here it is...looks even better in real life (the place that is, not the ad in particular, courtesy google-maps)Marketing the KEY2-piazza-pia-rome-italy.png
    01-10-19 09:05 AM
    I would guess that BB Mobile would want nothing more than to have all of their devices in every major retailer store around the globe.

They probably spend whatever limited marketing money they have on the key markets which are worth the risk.

If the demand for BB's is higher in France/UK than in the Netherlands, then this is what we end up with.

Actually, the demand in France seems to be significant enough for BB Mobile to bother making a specific keyboard layout for them (AZERTY).
    You know that AZERTY is also used in Belgium and a few other places, right? So it's not just for the French market.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    01-10-19 12:08 PM
    fully agree...
    Are people even buying at stores still here in the Netherlands? 'Cause I hardly ever see anyone going into a store here in the Netherlands, a lot of phone stores are disappearing because of that. And Dutch online stores do sell the KEY2.
    01-10-19 12:11 PM
    You know that AZERTY is also used in Belgium and a few other places, right? So it's not just for the French market.
    Ok, which ones aside from those two countries ?

I don't think they use AZERTY in Quebec lol
    01-10-19 07:28 PM
    Carriers will market the devices that make them the most money.
    01-10-19 11:53 PM
    Ok, which ones aside from those two countries ?

I don't think they use AZERTY in Quebec lol
    There is also an Arabic variant of the AZERTY keyboard. It is especially used in the African countries Algeria, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia and in Arab communities in French-speaking countries to be able to type both in Arabic and in French.

So yeah, there are a few more countries besides France (and Belgium) where AZERTY is being used.
    01-11-19 03:09 AM
    Carriers will market the devices that make them the most money.
    01-11-19 07:29 AM
26 12