Hello

I just made the switch from my Z10 (which I'm sad to have done but I needed to get more functionality out of my phone) and no way I wasn't sticking with BlackBerry. I have messed around with my Key2 for a couple hours and I'm wondering about the virtual keyboard. Is there a way to set the V board to come up when I long press on a symbol or do you really only get to use it when your going to type something??? If I have the "show virtual keyboard" shut off is there a way I can access the virtual keyboard without keeping it on all the time when I go to type??

Thanks for any tips

Posted via CB10
    03-20-19 08:36 PM
    Just swipe down on the keyboard while you're typing
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    03-20-19 10:51 PM
    Just swipe down on the keyboard while you're typing
    Yup, or hit the SYM key
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    03-20-19 11:44 PM
    WOW that was EASY. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Do you guys find you use the digital keyboard more then not?? This is my first physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-19 05:35 AM
    I only tend to use the on screen board for the numbers as I find it a tad awkward to use the pkb one. I guess I just need a bit more time to adjust. wow swipe up worked every time while posting this. ;-)
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    03-21-19 05:53 AM
    WOW that was EASY. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Do you guys find you use the digital keyboard more then not?? This is my first physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think I've ever used the virtual keyboard, aside from symbols.
    03-21-19 12:29 PM
    The only valid reason to use a VKB on a KEY phone is to not wake up a sleeping wife, why else type on glass on a VKB that sits too high??
    mikeath and Rico4you like this.
    03-21-19 07:31 PM
    I only tend to use the on screen board for the numbers as I find it a tad awkward to use the pkb one. I guess I just need a bit more time to adjust. wow swipe up worked every time while posting this. ;-)
    I just long-press the alt key until the ALT icon is underlined (eg permanent 'alt mode') and then press the alt key again when I'm done.

I think it's whatever method you get used to - I do the alt key long-press automatically nowadays without thinking about it (and I hate typing on glass).
    03-22-19 04:27 AM
    I just long-press the alt key until the ALT icon is underlined (eg permanent 'alt mode') and then press the alt key again when I'm done.

I think it's whatever method you get used to - I do the alt key long-press automatically nowadays without thinking about it (and I hate typing on glass).
    Thanks for the tip. I will try this method more often.
    Just tried it while typing this and found it easier thanks.
    Note my swipe up worked perfectly posting this slowly.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-22-19 05:46 AM
    Thanks for the tip. I will try this method more often.
    Just tried it while typing this and found it easier thanks.
    Note my swipe up worked perfectly posting this slowly.
    Great news re: the 'swipe up' - have you just had one of the recent updates? If so, which one please?
    03-22-19 06:13 AM
    The only valid reason to use a VKB on a KEY phone is to not wake up a sleeping wife, why else type on glass on a VKB that sits too high??
    Exactly
    03-22-19 06:17 AM
    Great news re: the 'swipe up' - have you just had one of the recent updates? If so, which one please?
    Still on the February patch. Only difference I have made to my typing on this phone is to slow down and that includes the swipe up. Double press of the space bar works perfectly each time as does the auto capitalise after a full stop. I have not restarted my phone in a number of days. Just wondering what the three dots are under the middle word suggestion ?
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-22-19 06:21 AM
    Man I love this Forum. We are in a class of our own. LONG LIVE BLACKBERRY.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-19 04:41 PM
    I too would like to know what the three dots are for?
    03-24-19 04:31 AM
    I too would like to know what the three dots are for?
    I tried the three dots and can find no use. 😎
    03-24-19 06:28 AM
    I originally thought that the three dots (under the middle suggested word) were shown because you can long-press the middle suggested word to get a pop-up showing more suggested words...
    ... then I realised that long-press on ANY of the three suggested words shows the same pop-up.

I'm stumped too!

Maybe someone should start a new thread just asking this question and then one of Blackberry/Key2 Gurus can answer this for us?
    03-24-19 07:00 AM
    I originally thought that the three dots (under the middle suggested word) were shown because you can long-press the middle suggested word to get a pop-up showing more suggested words...
    ... then I realised that long-press on ANY of the three suggested words shows the same pop-up.

I'm stumped too!

Maybe someone should start a new thread just asking this question and then one of Blackberry/Key2 Gurus can answer this for us?
    Slowly swipe up on the middle word with the three dots, it will show 5 other possible word choices. Actually it is more like a pull/ push up on the center word. It is a bit tricky but keep your finger on it. See attached screenshot.
    03-24-19 07:04 AM

I'm stumped too!

The reason they only put the 3 dots under the middle word is just a design choice.

They could have put the 3 dots under the other words as well but they rightly chose to only put them in the middle.

It's true that the extra function also works for the other words which is how it was designed to work.
    03-24-19 07:54 AM
    The reason they only put the 3 dots under the middle word is just a design choice.

They could have put the 3 dots under the other words as well but they rightly chose to only put them in the middle.

It's true that the extra function also works for the other words which is how it was designed to work.
    That's true. I only tried it on the center word but the swipe up (as opposed to the swipe-up word replacement feature) does work on the other displayed words as well.
    The three dots are there to indicate that another function/feature exists.
    03-24-19 08:09 AM
    EDIT: I wrote the blurb below, before the two posts above had appeared!

Unless I am completely misunderstanding you....
    .... this happens for all three suggested words for me, not just the middle one (with the dots underneath).

Where are you starting your slow 'swipe up' from - on the suggested word (eg on the screen), or somewhere on the keyboard?
    03-24-19 08:31 AM
    EDIT: I wrote the blurb below, before the two posts above had appeared!

Unless I am completely misunderstanding you....
    .... this happens for all three suggested words for me, not just the middle one (with the dots underneath).

Where are you starting your slow 'swipe up' from - on the suggested word (eg on the screen), or somewhere on the keyboard?
    On the suggested word.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-24-19 08:42 AM
    On the suggested word.
    okay - so for me, the same as a long press
    Smokeaire likes this.
    03-24-19 08:57 AM
    okay - so for me, the same as a long press
    Yes, that does work as well. Thanks for spotting that.
    So it can be activated by two methods.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-24-19 09:09 AM

Swiping down with 2 fingers also brings up the symbols. You can also reach the numbers from there. Just saying.
    03-24-19 11:01 AM
    Swiping down with 2 fingers also brings up the symbols. You can also reach the numbers from there. Just saying.
    Yep! That's why I previously said "I think it's whatever method you get used to"

A client of mine prefers the 2-finger swipe - I think it's because he finds the numbers easier to read on the screen rather than the smaller fainter ones on the physical keyboard (and he's always forgetting his reading glasses!)
    03-24-19 11:14 AM
27 12