The guys behind LinusTechTips made a new channel for quick, short reviews of random gadgets.

The first video posted was on this phone with a slide out keyboard, for the amazing price of $729.00! Linus recommended it over the KEY2 because it's discontinued, and this device is "the only choice" people have who want a PKB.

Worse camera, worse keyboard, worse fingerprint sensor... all it has going I guess is the larger display and even that isn't really something people care about that buy a KEY2 or want a good PKB experience.

Linus says the arrow keys on the device are a feature that the KEY2 doesn't have, but the KEY2 has a touch sensitive keyboard that is much better to use to scroll through documents and move your cursor around than those small, double-typing keys. TCL put a ton of R&D work into improving the keyboard over the KEYone's, and built on BlackBerry's massive patent library.

The BlackBerry KEY2 offers sculpted keys, BlackBerry software and security, better build quality, and is pretty much better in every way. It is very clear that Linus doesn't know what people want that buy devices with physical keyboards.

People who don't love PKBs always want sliders over candy bars because they don't realize the major downsides of creaky hinges and time wasted / wear on devices from constantly opening and closing the keyboard.

I usually don't care when critics pan BB phones because I get that the cameras aren't the best on the market, the specs are mid tier, and a pkb is not for everyone. That is different from suggesting a random (more expensive) device from an unknown company is better than the glorious BlackBerry KEY2.
    jacobacevedog likes this.
    02-14-20 09:13 PM

The guys behind LinusTechTips made a new channel for quick, short reviews of random gadgets.

The first video posted was on this phone with a slide out keyboard, for the amazing price of $729.00! Linus recommended it over the KEY2 because it's discontinued, and this device is "the only choice" people have who want a PKB.

Worse camera, worse keyboard, worse fingerprint sensor... all it has going I guess is the larger display and even that isn't really something people care about that buy a KEY2 or want a good PKB experience.

Linus says the arrow keys on the device are a feature that the KEY2 doesn't have, but the KEY2 has a touch sensitive keyboard that is much better to use to scroll through documents and move your cursor around than those small, double-typing keys. TCL put a ton of R&D work into improving the keyboard over the KEYone's, and built on BlackBerry's massive patent library.

The BlackBerry KEY2 offers sculpted keys, BlackBerry software and security, better build quality, and is pretty much better in every way. It is very clear that Linus doesn't know what people want that buy devices with physical keyboards.

People who don't love PKBs always want sliders over candy bars because they don't realize the major downsides of creaky hinges and time wasted / wear on devices from constantly opening and closing the keyboard.

I usually don't care when critics pan BB phones because I get that the cameras aren't the best on the market, the specs are mid tier, and a pkb is not for everyone. That is different from suggesting a random (more expensive) device from an unknown company is better than the glorious BlackBerry KEY2.
    Does anyone actually listen or pay attention to Linus? I never have... I'll refrain from saying anything more lol.
    02-14-20 09:20 PM
    Does anyone actually listen or pay attention to Linus? I never have... I'll refrain from saying anything more lol.
    Since he and MKBHD were recently in a race to 10 million subscribers, I'd say a couple people do.
    melhiore likes this.
    02-14-20 11:18 PM
    Random PKB slider? How many are there?
    02-15-20 02:38 AM
    landscape slider... how can typing with thumbs on that be good in any way?
    02-15-20 03:50 AM
    What do you expect him to do? Its hard to recommend a device that can no longer be found.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-16-20 11:11 AM
    I wouldn't say he recommended it. He seemed to think it was the only option for pkb users.
    02-16-20 11:17 AM
    This guy, first failing to properly unbox it, then being incapable of operating a slider phone properly (looks like every time he opens it, he will tear both halves apart. I wonder if he ever heard about "sliding" open a slider?), is causing me physical pain, when watching this video.
    This is all but a "review".
    This device has been discussed here & elsewhere for quite some time now, and is an interesting approach imho. I do know a few people who still miss their Nokia Communicators. Maybe something for them?
    Also, why does the OP assume the keyboard/camera/FP sensor are "worse" than the K2? Where is the test, where is the fair comparison?
    It might be right there is not a big market for such a device, but we do't know at this stage, and we haven't heard of real life user experiences yet. This video is a joke.
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    02-16-20 11:22 AM
    That guy should not be taken seriously when it comes to keyboard phones.

He barely even did any actual typing on the Pro 1.

Not much less annoying to watch than Whiney Lewie from unbox therapy
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    02-16-20 12:04 PM
    That guy should not be taken seriously when it comes to keyboard phones.

He barely even did any actual typing on the Pro 1.

Not much less annoying to watch than Whiney Lewie from unbox therapy
    Lew gives phones with keyboards a fair shot, looks like Linus doesn't care for pkb and dings any phone with one.
    Last edited by johnb_xp; 02-16-20 at 05:18 PM.
    02-16-20 04:26 PM
    Lew givesphones with keyboard a fair shot, looks like Linus doesn't care for pkb and dings any phone with one.
    Which is funny because he has a bunch of videos on desktop keyboards.

It goes back to what I was saying about the inexplicable hate of keyboards on mobile phones these days. The double standards that desktop/laptop/tablet attachment keyboards are all fine but a keyboard on a mobile phone is somehow "pointless" and "outdated".

That video was painful to watch, all these mobile keyboard bashers don't even take the proper time to get accustomed to the keyboard go on ranting/bashing the phone for what it's not trying to be.
    02-16-20 04:51 PM

It goes back to what I was saying about the inexplicable hate of keyboards on mobile phones these days. The double standards that desktop/laptop/tablet attachment keyboards are all fine but a keyboard on a mobile phone is somehow "pointless" and "outdated".

That video was painful to watch, all these mobile keyboard bashers don't even take the proper time to get accustomed to the keyboard go on ranting/bashing the phone for what it's not trying to be.
    Yes, he bash mobile keyboards and then praise mechanical+rgb desktop keyboards that cost similar to a cellphone.

Anyway, I never take any of the big name reviewers seriously. I would never base a purchase decision on "reviews" from ltt or mkbhd. I prefer to look for more in-depth, less popular, less mainstream, less commercial guys, in my opinion they do a better and more fair job.

Just look for Linus KEY2 review and you will see what I'm talking about.
    02-16-20 05:16 PM
    Yes, he bash mobile keyboards and then praise mechanical+rgb desktop keyboards that cost similar to a cellphone.

Anyway, I never take any of the big name reviewers seriously. I would never base a purchase decision on "reviews" from ltt or mkbhd. I prefer to look for more in-depth, less popular, less mainstream, less commercial guys, in my opinion they do a better and more fair job.

Yeah I watched his KEY2 video also, it wasn't great lol.

MrMobile is considered a mainstream reviewer but he actually judges device's for what their intended purpose is, and takes the time to talk about the things that matter and where each device excels, not just the shortcomings.
    johnb_xp likes this.
    02-16-20 05:18 PM
    Lew givesphones with keyboard a fair shot, looks like Linus doesn't care for pkb and dings any phone with one.
    After the "truck full of iPhones" fiasco and a few more shady moves from that dude I never watched him again.
    02-16-20 05:19 PM

I bet they can't wait for all laptops to have virtual keyboards lol.
    02-16-20 05:19 PM
    I bet they can't wait for all laptops to have virtual keyboards lol.
    Lol, a slabber at his finest
    02-16-20 05:20 PM
    Yeah I watched his KEY2 video also, it wasn't great lol.

MrMobile is considered a mainstream reviewer but he actually judges device's for what their intended purpose is, and takes the time to talk about the things that matter and where each device excels, not just the shortcomings.
    Yes, he is probably one of the few exceptions.
    johnb_xp likes this.
    02-16-20 05:21 PM
    Yes, he is probably one of the few exceptions.
    Even Flossy would give a far better review of a keyboard phone than Unbox TheraLewie, Linus Tech Tips, MKBHD and the like
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    02-16-20 05:28 PM

Well I agree with him. I use a full size desktop keyboard all the time, and yes I buy fairly expensive mechanical switch keyboards. I use to have a Curve back in the day but I would avoid typing on it as much as possible, I do the same today with the virtual keyboards but I prefer having more screen space.
    02-17-20 01:54 AM
    You can't seriously have expected him to recommend the K2 series in Feb of 2020, when they are almost impossible to find and quickly approaching the 2-year-old mark. He runs a tech website, which by definition is going to be focused on the NEW products just coming to market, not 18+ month old products that are nearing the end of their lifecycle. He wouldn't recommend a 2-year-old iPhone or Galaxy or laptop either, especially if they were out-of-stock almost everywhere. You can't blame him for BB's smartphone situation - he's just reacting to it.
    Grungni likes this.
    02-17-20 02:10 AM
    Watching Linus for phone reviews is pretty much akin to watching Saturday Night Live for movie reviews.
    the_boon and Summer_Moon like this.
    02-17-20 05:13 PM
    Do ANY reviewers test quantified WPM, etc comparisons?
    the_boon likes this.
    02-17-20 09:37 PM
    Do ANY reviewers test quantified WPM, etc comparisons?
    Usually, they just type "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" and then tell us that there's no need for a keyboard in this day and age
    02-17-20 09:55 PM