I can try to imagine it but makes me sick so I dont try. When I have to I have to until then I will keep enjoying my Blackberry KEY². When I have to I hope BlackBerry will still keep their vkb updated.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    01-05-20 10:52 PM
    Can you imagine it?
    Why not?
    01-05-20 11:11 PM
    It was rough in the beginning but it wasn't any more rough than typing on a Priv or Passport in the beginning for example.

Whenever you try something new it can be hard early on until you get used to it.
    01-06-20 08:33 AM
    For 9 years, from 2004-2013, I spent 12-16 hours a day on BlackBerry PKBs, composing close to half a million carefully written emails on BlackBerry PKBs.

When I needed a replacement phone in March, 2013, the Q10 hadn't been released yet, so I bought a Z10 with the intention of only using it for a few months until I could get a Q10.

Within a day, I was hooked on the BB10 "no buttons" interface, and within a week, I was completely comfortable on the VKB.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    01-06-20 09:05 AM
    For 9 years, from 2004-2013, I spent 12-16 hours a day on BlackBerry PKBs, composing close to half a million carefully written emails on BlackBerry PKBs.

When I needed a replacement phone in March, 2013, the Q10 hadn't been released yet, so I bought a Z10 with the intention of only using it for a few months until I could get a Q10.

Within a day, I was hooked on the BB10 "no buttons" interface, and within a week, I was completely comfortable on the VKB.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    Have you even tried a Q10 to see if it would be more enjoyable to use?

I just can't fathom typing on BB10 glass when there are good keyboard options available
    01-06-20 09:38 AM
    So, I guess if BB comes out with a new phone without a keyboard, ya'll will go nuts?
    01-06-20 10:08 AM
    So, I guess if BB comes out with a new phone without a keyboard, ya'll will go nuts?
    Haha, there could be some truth to that. Everyone is assuming that if TCL releases another BlackBerry phone it would be a Key3, but if they need to shove something out for contractual purposes it could very well be another DTEK.
    01-06-20 10:29 AM
    Boon says, bite your tongue woman as this blasphemy you speaketh will not be tolerated by himeth
    the_boon and towngirl like this.
    01-06-20 10:31 AM
    I am not sure how it would go to transition to a Pkb. But it is not something I look forward to. I had a vkb phone for a few months in 2015. I never got used to it. Super annoying. I have gotten so I often look up from the keyboard while typing. No one has mentioned that yet as far as I know, but many of us who use pkbs do it almost without realizing it. I will be using a KEY2 as long as possible. Someone I know went to a vkb phone from a Classic and still makes more typos than she ever made on the Classic after 3.5 years of using the vkb. Some people don't care about typos. However, I do, especially for business communication, but also just for general communication.
    01-06-20 11:09 AM
    I am not sure how it would go to transition to a Pkb. But it is not something I look forward to. I had a vkb phone for a few months in 2015. I never got used to it. Super annoying. I have gotten so I often look up from the keyboard while typing. No one has mentioned that yet as far as I know, but many of us who use pkbs do it almost without realizing it. I will be using a KEY2 as long as possible. Someone I know went to a vkb phone from a Classic and still makes more typos than she ever made on the Classic after 3.5 years of using the vkb. Some people don't care about typos. However, I do, especially for business communication, but also just for general communication.
    I know what you mean, so let's really hope we get more PKB devices once in a while to avoid being stuck with typing on glass.
    And when a PKB device comes around, I'll be sure to support it and give it a shot.
    Just like I did for the Titan even though it failed me badly.
    01-06-20 12:00 PM
    Really was the thing I like best... I could be in a conference and be typing on my phone under the table without looking.

But today... with dictation, auto-correct and word prediction, I'd never even consider a full time PKB. PRIV was interesting.... but didn't come to Verizon until after I needed a new phone - glad I missed it.
    towngirl likes this.
    01-06-20 12:00 PM
    But today... with dictation, auto-correct and word prediction
    No amount of insane auto-correction software is gonna make a VKB something you can type on "under your desk" or in any situation without looking at it the whole time.

It's not happening as long as it's a flat piece of glass.
    towngirl likes this.
    01-06-20 12:03 PM
    No amount of insane auto-correction software is gonna make a VKB something you can type on "under your desk" or in any situation without looking at it the whole time.

It's not happening as long as it's a flat piece of glass.
    That was 10+ years ago when a smartphone was basically a phone with email abilities and a passable browser if you were in a pinch.

My view of what a smartphone is, is very different today, as is how I use one.

100% there are aspects to a PKB that I do appreciate.... but not enough to give up screen real-estate.
    01-06-20 01:06 PM
    Bought an Xr last weekend. There is life without PKB. Goodbye BlackBerry.
    pdr733 and John Albert like this.
    01-06-20 01:07 PM
    I am not looking forward to the day I don't have a PKB. I'm sure I'd adapt, but I don't wanna. I think the greater issue for me would be dealing with my father adapting to a VKB, I almost didn't survive his switch from his Classic to the KeyONE in 2018. I cannot even begin to imagine the ordeal of a virtual keyboard from the man who says of his KeyONE "If I am going to have a phone I hate it had better have a real keyboard on it!" I should really start a support group in the office to prep for that day...
    01-06-20 02:41 PM
    That was 10+ years ago when a smartphone was basically a phone with email abilities and a passable browser if you were in a pinch.

My view of what a smartphone is, is very different today, as is how I use one.

100% there are aspects to a PKB that I do appreciate.... but not enough to give up screen real-estate.
    My post has nothing to do with what a smartphone was before as opposed to today.

It's simple physics. A tactile button as opposed to a flat pane of glass.
    01-06-20 06:54 PM
    Can you imagine it?
    Easy. Pick the correct android VKB and spend some time setting up the size and layout you prefer. Add in the android 10 gestures and take some time to become proficient with them.

A mid specced android 10 is all that's needed to discover how simple this task can be achieved and the benefits of using a user preferred setup that can be backed up and used over and over again with minimal set up time.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-20 07:40 PM
    Easy. Pick the correct android VKB and spend some time setting up the size and layout you prefer.
    This only serves to make the glass experience less frustrating.

It's not gonna make it enjoyable.

And enjoyment is a huge part of using a PKB.

If a PKB wasn't considerably more enjoyable than tapping on glass, I wouldn't be settling for an average looking 4.5" LCD and Oreo 8.1
    01-06-20 08:03 PM
    It's obvious to me that most of you can adapt to a VKB. I cannot say the same for myself. Before 2019 I was still using a flip phone and not texting. The summer before we got a smartphone we could use on a 3 week travel trip. We used the phone to keep in contact with family, and have a data plan for those weeks for Internet access. Even with the screen "real estate", it was still too small for convenient use. I found myself using the phone as a hub for my tablet. That was strike 1 for me and smartphones.

I had to use the virtual keyboard for typing texts or emails. While the predictive text was good, it bothered me to the core that I had to look at my hands while typing, then had to look up and check what I was actually typing. I tried that the whole summer and couldn't get used to it. This was strike 2 for me.

With this Q10, I can stick it into a shirt pocket along with a couple of pens. It's small enough no one sees it, it is not bulky at all. If I do need Internet on it, it's not much different from the smartphone anyway. The smartphone turned out to be bulkier than I'd want, and it wasn't even the largest of the phones. This was strike 3.

Honestly, if my Q10 bites the dust and there is no PKB on the market, I will give up texting. I hate VKB that much.

But, that's just me. Obviously it is not a problem for millions of others.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-20 08:27 PM
    It's obvious to me that most of you can adapt to a VKB. I cannot say the same for myself. Before 2019 I was still using a flip phone and not texting. The summer before we got a smartphone we could use on a 3 week travel trip. We used the phone to keep in contact with family, and have a data plan for those weeks for Internet access. Even with the screen "real estate", it was still too small for convenient use. I found myself using the phone as a hub for my tablet. That was strike 1 for me and smartphones.

I had to use the virtual keyboard for typing texts or emails. While the predictive text was good, it bothered me to the core that I had to look at my hands while typing, then had to look up and check what I was actually typing. I tried that the whole summer and couldn't get used to it. This was strike 2 for me.

With this Q10, I can stick it into a shirt pocket along with a couple of pens. It's small enough no one sees it, it is not bulky at all. If I do need Internet on it, it's not much different from the smartphone anyway. The smartphone turned out to be bulkier than I'd want, and it wasn't even the largest of the phones. This was strike 3.

Honestly, if my Q10 bites the dust and there is no PKB on the market, I will give up texting. I hate VKB that much.

But, that's just me. Obviously it is not a problem for millions of others.

Posted via CB10
    With a KEY2 or LE, you could be typing on plastic for quite some time until hopefully something else comes along
    01-06-20 08:57 PM
    With a KEY2 or LE, you could be typing on plastic for quite some time until hopefully something else comes along
    I considered a Key, but now that I have the Q10, I don't think I could go larger. The only phone larger than this Q10 is and old Qualcomm brick. That was horrible to carry around, almost got suspenders.

With my tablet, I really only need the phone for calls and texts. The Internet is nice, but not a need for a phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-20 09:40 PM
    This only serves to make the glass experience less frustrating.

It's not gonna make it enjoyable.

And enjoyment is a huge part of using a PKB.

If a PKB wasn't considerably more enjoyable than tapping on glass, I wouldn't be settling for an average looking 4.5" LCD and Oreo 8.1
    My first laptop was an IBM ThinkPad. It is still the best keyboard experience i have ever used. The combination of true scissor switch keys with a track pointer was unmatched. IMHO, it still is unmatched. I must be in the minority because they are no longer made.

Recently I searched for a replacement laptop primarily for typing. I decided to research the best keyboard equipped laptops and most search results mentioned Lenovo ThinkPad keyboards. I tried a few and found them to be 2nd rate compared with the older offerings. I was disappointed at how do many reviewers could talk these keyboards up when my experience was the opposite.

Although the old IBM keyboard was superior I was not prepared to take a backward step with all the hardware and software a device like this could run, just to get the typing experience of my dreams.

I adapted. I ended up with a small 3:2 aspect ratio chromebook. This device is perfect for my portable typing needs. Like all laptops, it is a compromise when compared with a full desktop workstation; the same way that all phones are a compromise when compared with a laptop.

It runs chrome OS which has some limitations but I was fully aware before jumping in. For heavier tasks i use a high end workstation with dual screens and mechanical keyboard. As i get older I find myself using this monster less and less.

My best phone was a Nokia 1520. I loved that phone. The vkb was the best ever phone keyboard made and I am surprised MS did not release it on android as a stand alone offering. The 1520 was at its best on 8.1. Win 10 was okay but not a good and moved away from the metro interface and swipe gestures that made WP ideal.

Once again, i must have been in the minority. WP failed and developers refused to get onboard. As the support and offerings for WP dwindled, I moved on again and adapted.

I now use an android one Nokia that cost less than $270 USD. It will soon get android 10 with full gesture support and updates. Even though my needs to use a high end phone are reducing i find a mid range android device more than adequate for my needs. They are also cheap and can be considered a disposable item if purchased at the right price.

We all have different levels of acceptance. I will not use devices that have no support and are outside their update cycles. Updates are more important than a keyboard.

Hardware reliability is more important than features. Support is more important than worthless sales rhetoric regarding support cycles.

Let's be honest here, TCL have turned their backs on those that purchased their products. They have displayed firsthand how they value their customers. I would expect that every parts bin is nearly empty after the surpluses have been raided, assembled into competed devices and sold.
    Alfista83 likes this.
    01-06-20 09:45 PM
    My first laptop was an IBM ThinkPad. It is still the best keyboard experience i have ever used. The combination of true scissor switch keys with a track pointer was unmatched. IMHO, it still is unmatched. I must be in the minority because they are no longer made.

Recently I searched for a replacement laptop primarily for typing. I decided to research the best keyboard equipped laptops and most search results mentioned Lenovo ThinkPad keyboards. I tried a few and found them to be 2nd rate compared with the older offerings. I was disappointed at how do many reviewers could talk these keyboards up when my experience was the opposite.

Although the old IBM keyboard was superior I was not prepared to take a backward step with all the hardware and software a device like this could run, just to get the typing experience of my dreams.

I adapted. I ended up with a small 3:2 aspect ratio chromebook. This device is perfect for my portable typing needs. Like all laptops, it is a compromise when compared with a full desktop workstation; the same way that all phones are a compromise when compared with a laptop.

It runs chrome OS which has some limitations but I was fully aware before jumping in. For heavier tasks i use a high end workstation with dual screens and mechanical keyboard. As i get older I find myself using this monster less and less.

My best phone was a Nokia 1520. I loved that phone. The vkb was the best ever phone keyboard made and I am surprised MS did not release it on android as a stand alone offering. The 1520 was at its best on 8.1. Win 10 was okay but not a good and moved away from the metro interface and swipe gestures that made WP ideal.

Once again, i must have been in the minority. WP failed and developers refused to get onboard. As the support and offerings for WP dwindled, I moved on again and adapted.

I now use an android one Nokia that cost less than $270 USD. It will soon get android 10 with full gesture support and updates. Even though my needs to use a high end phone are reducing i find a mid range android device more than adequate for my needs. They are also cheap and can be considered a disposable item if purchased at the right price.

We all have different levels of acceptance. I will not use devices that have no support and are outside their update cycles. Updates are more important than a keyboard.

Hardware reliability is more important than features. Support is more important than worthless sales rhetoric regarding support cycles.

Let's be honest here, TCL have turned their backs on those that purchased their products. They have displayed firsthand how they value their customers. I would expect that every parts bin is nearly empty after the surpluses have been raided, assembled into competed devices and sold.
    A ThinkPad was shown at CES that is a giant foldable screen with vkb. Would you use that or opt for a Bluetooth keyboard?
    01-06-20 09:59 PM
    A ThinkPad was shown at CES that is a giant foldable screen with vkb. Would you use that or opt for a Bluetooth keyboard?
    I would not purchase such a device for as long as there were other options. Like many, I would like to believe that I am a poweruser that needs to ultimate, but I am not.

For what I use a laptop for, basic functionality is more than enough. I can get that basic functionality from Windows, OSX, iOS, android, Chrome OS and Linux. Therefore it comes down to what is the best offering for the dollar. Chromebooks win this hands down for speed and shortcuts.

I see many new offerings with smaller keyboards and half height Eink screens sitting above the keyboards. I don't need any of this hardware.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-06-20 10:06 PM
    Camera, socials, office apps, games, movies etc. There’re so much more life without pkb, unless you’re not provided with a computer to do office work by company you work for..
    01-07-20 01:44 AM
102 1234 ...