I cannot launch any music or media apps from Android Auto on my Key2. Whether on the phone screen or on the car head unit, trying to start Pandora, Stitcher, Spotify, or TuneIn Radio (or, I suspect, other non-Google media apps) gives me the following message, every time:

• "Pandora doesn't seem to be working right now."
    • "Stitcher doesn't seem to be working right now."
    • "Spotify doesn't seem to be working right now."
    • "TuneIn Radio doesn't seem to be working right now."

Google Play Music works, however, as do Google Maps and other non-media apps. Also, if I previously started Pandora or Spotify or another media app on my phone before making the USB connection to my car and before launching the Android Auto app, I can use the media app from within Android Auto without the error. The problem seems to be that Android Auto is unable to launch the media app on its own.

This appears to be specific to the Key2, because when I took my car to the dealership, the repairman connected his Android (non-BlackBerry) phone to my car and was able to launch his music apps from Android Auto. On the other hand, this is not specific to my car, because I have the same problem of not being able to launch media apps even when I use Android Auto as a stand-alone app on my phone, without my car. Finally, this does not appear to be specific to a particular media app, because I have yet to find any non-Google media app that Android Auto can launch.

Anyone else with a Key2 have this issue? Or have you been able to launch Pandora and Spolify from Android Auto, without them already running in the background?

Launching music apps via Android Auto on Key2 (Pandora, Spotify, Tune In, etc.)-thread-14388428-8136482493995720286.jpg

Technical details:

• Error message: "[App name] doesn't seem to be working right now."
    • Are you using Android Auto on your phone screen or car’s display? Either
    • Does the issue occur outside of Android Auto app? No
    • Car / head unit make & model: Mazda 3
    • Phone make & model: BlackBerry/TCL Key2, model BBF100-2
    • Android OS version: 8.1.0
    • Android Auto app version: 4.6.593334-release
    • Google Play services version: 19.2.74 (040400-265167076)
    • Media app name & version: Pandora 1909.1, Spotify 8.5.23.686, Stitcher 4.6.2, TuneIn Radio 22.8.1
    Jonneh likes this.
    09-18-19 05:07 PM
    I own a Chinese version of Key2 (2 SIM variant) and i have exactly the same problem even with Google Music and Google Maps.
    Since this is a Chinese devise, these apps were not preinstalled - i downloaded them from Google Play.... which makes my repro consistent with your observations.
    09-18-19 07:27 PM
    This is easy to fix. You need the apps you want to use with auto set to run in background
    09-20-19 03:59 AM
    It was fixed by going into power centre
    then select "manage automatic apps" but this menu option has disappeared for me!
    09-20-19 04:13 AM
    Maybe the option 'battery optimisation is the replacement for it?
    09-20-19 04:16 AM
    Hey Jon, did you get it working yet? I am looking to get an Android Auto car soon, and I'd like to use my key2 with it of course. 🤔
    09-23-19 04:45 AM
    Nope. Still doesn't work. I tried turning battery optimization off for Pandora as suggested to by @steveCheshire above, but that made no difference.

I posted a question about it on Google's Android Auto help forum, but there hasn't been a useful response yet.
    09-23-19 11:13 AM
    This is easy to fix. You need the apps you want to use with auto set to run in background
    Steve,

What do you mean by "set to run in the background"? Can you please provide step-by-step instructions?
    09-23-19 11:14 AM
    Steve,

What do you mean by "set to run in the background"? Can you please provide step-by-step instructions?
    I think that is the battery optimisation option now on OREO

I had the same problem this week with spotify and battery optimisation appears to have got it working.

Try this -

https://support.google.com/androidau...to/sSa-yv7rJp0

if that doesn't work then try rebooting your phone running Pandora before you go to your car, leave it open then connect to andriod auto.
    09-23-19 11:26 AM
    I had the same problem this week with spotify and battery optimisation appears to have got it working.
    Turning off battery optimization for Pandora and Spotify didn't fix the problem for me.

That's a different issue, where Pandora didn't even appear in the AA menu. I don't have that problem. It appears in the menu, but selecting it gives the error screen shown in the screenshots above. (I tried reinstalling Pandora as suggested in that thread anyway, and it didn't fix my issue.

if that doesn't work then try rebooting your phone running Pandora before you go to your car, leave it open then connect to andriod auto.
    As I wrote at the top, if I start Pandora before I launch AA and before I connect to my car, then I can use Pandora from within AA. However, that's not a good solution. If I want to switch between music apps while driving, I would have to launch every app I might possibly use before starting my trip. If I forget to launch an app, I have to physically disconnect the phone from the car, kill AA, launch the app, then relaunch AA and reconnect the phone -- not something I want to be doing while driving!
    09-23-19 05:44 PM
    Steve,

Find the app " power centre"

In it go into "manage automatic apps"

in there ensure there is a green toggle for all the apps you want to work in android auto . That should fix it.
    09-29-19 04:08 AM
    have you thought about using Tasker for this? I.e your profile trigger is the launch of Android Auto, which sets off the task of launching all of your music apps? you can also set a disconnect task so that they close on completion when you get to your destination.
    09-29-19 04:35 AM
    I have tested the manage automatic apps setting I suggest above using spotify today and it fixes it for me.
    09-29-19 01:14 PM
    @steveCheshire has provided the correct solution. THANK YOU, Steve, for solving a problem that Google has refused to address. I'm very grateful.

For others having the same issue, here is the step-by-step solution according to Steve's suggestion:

1) Launch the Power Center app from the app drawer.

2) Click "Manage automatic apps."

3) On the Manage Automatic Apps screen, turn on the switch (slide it to the right) for every media app you want Android Auto to be able to launch.

Launching music apps via Android Auto on Key2 (Pandora, Spotify, Tune In, etc.)-presentation1.png

Once this is done, these media apps can be launched by clicking the headphones icon within Android Auto.

Thank you again, Steve Cheshire!
    09-29-19 06:49 PM