I've had a key1 silver for about a year. I had a key2 for about 2 weeks. Was it worth the upgrade?

In my opinion, absolutely. It is faster, smoother, better call quality, better keyboard, similar camera and similar battery life (my key2 actually seems better, but this might be because it is new vs 1 year old or Oreo's power saving features. I've really done no measurement, but it just seems like it has a bit more battery left at the end of the day). I don't notice any weight difference. It doesn't seem cheap or plastic-y to me as some have said.

My priorities are keyboard, call quality, battery and performance (I don't game, just use this for work and keeping in touch with the family. Lag is annoying). I can live with an OK camera.

I have ATT in the US. I live in a weak coverage area and often work from home so the poor cellular performance of the keyone is a problem. To compare, the keyone is a lot worse than the Priv, my wife's iPhone and my son's Sammy, and a little worse than my Moto-X from a few years back. This was really the driving factor to upgrade. If the call quality was no better, I would have sent it back. But it is better - the bars do not necessarily tell the story (they still show often poor coverage), but I'm not missing calls, calls are not cutting out or choppy and overall cellular performance seems much better. With the keyone, I'd be the guy with no signal when other phones were working fine. This is no longer the case. Also, very snappy app transitions - hopefully, I will still say this in a year - there were times with the keyone that it was quite laggy. Finally, $700 is not a huge amount of money to me.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the upgrade, but probably would not have bothered if I didn't have the call quality problems with the keyone. It's a nice overall upgrade - better in every respect (IMHO) - but maybe not worth the price for some people.

BTW, my space key is no more wobbly or clicky than my keyone.
    07-31-18 11:45 AM
    Yeah, yeah, yeah......but what color did you get?

More seriously, how/who did you purchase from?

Delivery time?

Wi-Fi calling work?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    07-31-18 11:59 AM
    Nice review, glad your enjoying your phone.
    07-31-18 12:12 PM
    I bought it from Best Buy. IIRC, I ordered it the Saturday after release and received it the following Tuesday (lucky, I guess). Black. I don't think Wi-Fi calling works on ATT. If it did, my home coverage issues would not be an issue since I could just call on wifi. Everything I've read says it doesn't work, but I have never tried it.
    07-31-18 12:25 PM
    Is the earpiece volume on K2 louder or the same compared to K1?
    07-31-18 12:31 PM
    Are you getting dropped calls? When I was using an unlocked KeyOne on AT&T it would drop to HSPA for calls. Since the network was old, I kept dropping calls. I returned it and bought an AT&T branded KeyOne, and the problems went away.
    07-31-18 12:35 PM
    Is the earpiece volume on K2 louder or the same compared to K1?
    I don't hear any difference
    07-31-18 12:50 PM
    Are you getting dropped calls? When I was using an unlocked KeyOne on AT&T it would drop to HSPA for calls. Since the network was old, I kept dropping calls. I returned it and bought an AT&T branded KeyOne, and the problems went away.
    I haven't had any dropped calls yet. I suppose this could have been an issue with my KeyOne since it was not ATT branded, and I did get dropped calls from time to time. It might have to do with what kind of cellular towers you are talking to at the moment.

Although, I'm not entirely sure whtat "drop to HSPA" means...
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    07-31-18 12:52 PM
    Phone works great on AT&T call quality and reception is awesome. Volume on calls is also good very clear. The Key2 is an excellent device no real flaws at all that I can find.
    07-31-18 12:59 PM
    on your Keyone was so wobbly space bar? O_o
    07-31-18 01:31 PM
    Thanks for the report , quite useful since I am thinking too for upgrading my KEYone black edition.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    07-31-18 01:41 PM
    I also want to add that the android keys work better on the Key2. What I mean is when I swipe up on the keyboard, it took a lot of practice with the key1 to not hit the triangle, circle or square buttons. Even after a year, I still accidentally hit them more than I'd like. With the key2, I haven't had this problem. I'm not sure why because the design seems similar (and you'd think the bar at the top of the keyone kb would block this), but this has been my experience.
    07-31-18 01:54 PM
    Nice review
    What do you say about weight balancing and the keyboard?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Erodotus; 08-01-18 at 02:01 AM.
    08-01-18 12:10 AM
    Just saw this review below. Sounds like an honest review, but doesn't bode well for the camera.

WT44 and hamilgs like this.
    08-01-18 12:56 AM
    Thx for your review. I also upgraded from the One to the 2. Overall, I am pleased with the 2. However, I must admit it does feel (much) cheaper and lighter than the One, less solid. Keyboard typing experience is excellent and much better than the one on the One except for that wobbly spacebar key. Sensitivity is terrible on the other hand and worse than on my One. The swiping up gesture simply does not work on my 2. That is to say I need to swipe several times in order to get the word pasted but it is so terrible that I do not use this feature anymore. Speaking of that spacebar: the fingerprint sensor seems less in quality as it is not as fast and accurate as the One. Furthermore, I think I am one of the few who had some doubts about the placement of all the keys on the right side of the phone. I do get the point bu during calls I sometimes press the power instead of the volumerocker but that might just be me. Speed is defenitively better and improved. Far less lags or delays than on the one. The rest like screen quality, calling etc etc is on par with my One. After I installed the Oreo beta on my One I must say for me, and IMHO, the only upgrade would be the keyboard typing experience of the Two which is simply superb. For the rest, I would not advise to upgrade.....yet
    Jrox74 likes this.
    08-01-18 01:57 AM
    I'm sitting in the wings listening and watching wth interest. I'd say, if you're like me and fairly happy with your keyone, it'd be worth waiting to buy the Key2 for Christmas!
    That's my plan anyway!
    JOHNGAETANO likes this.
    08-01-18 05:29 AM
    I will wait for either K2 Special Edition or K3. I bought silver edition so a month later we could get K1 special edition with extra RAM. If I had 4GB on my phone I would probably not even bother considering K2.
    08-01-18 05:38 AM
    I'm sitting in the wings listening and watching wth interest. I'd say, if you're like me and fairly happy with your keyone, it'd be worth waiting to buy the Key2 for Christmas!
    That's my plan anyway!
    Was like you until yesterday when the eustore made the dual-sim available again and my SE started lagging severely and heated up while I was trying to attach a .xls file from the SD card to WhatsApp.

Pushed me in placing the order for which I've also paid the express fee (1-2 days) but still haven't recieved any confirmation/tracking no.

I do hope it will arrive tomorrow.
    Will be worse than judge Judy in testing it for the 14 days time-frame and if not happy, will send it back and wait for Christmas. 😁
    08-01-18 06:54 AM
    Not sure if it has been asked before but how is the responsiveness of the Android buttons? Specifically the back button.
    08-01-18 07:04 AM
    Not sure if it has been asked before but how is the responsiveness of the Android buttons? Specifically the back button.
    Excellent much better than the Keyone was. Only flaw I have is the back lighting on the keyboard is horrible.
    Rico4you likes this.
    08-01-18 07:24 AM
    I've had a key1 silver for about a year. I had a key2 for about 2 weeks. Was it worth the upgrade?

In my opinion, absolutely. It is faster, smoother, better call quality, better keyboard, similar camera and similar battery life (my key2 actually seems better, but this might be because it is new vs 1 year old or Oreo's power saving features. I've really done no measurement, but it just seems like it has a bit more battery left at the end of the day). I don't notice any weight difference. It doesn't seem cheap or plastic-y to me as some have said.

My priorities are keyboard, call quality, battery and performance (I don't game, just use this for work and keeping in touch with the family. Lag is annoying). I can live with an OK camera.

I have ATT in the US. I live in a weak coverage area and often work from home so the poor cellular performance of the keyone is a problem. To compare, the keyone is a lot worse than the Priv, my wife's iPhone and my son's Sammy, and a little worse than my Moto-X from a few years back. This was really the driving factor to upgrade. If the call quality was no better, I would have sent it back. But it is better - the bars do not necessarily tell the story (they still show often poor coverage), but I'm not missing calls, calls are not cutting out or choppy and overall cellular performance seems much better. With the keyone, I'd be the guy with no signal when other phones were working fine. This is no longer the case. Also, very snappy app transitions - hopefully, I will still say this in a year - there were times with the keyone that it was quite laggy. Finally, $700 is not a huge amount of money to me.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the upgrade, but probably would not have bothered if I didn't have the call quality problems with the keyone. It's a nice overall upgrade - better in every respect (IMHO) - but maybe not worth the price for some people.

The last thing you mentioned would have been my only concern about the Key2. I figured that it was something that was blown a bit out of proportion. The spacebar on the Keyone clicks differently than the other keys as well.

That seemed like one of the main complaints about the Key2. Glad you put a bit of clarity on that.
    08-01-18 08:38 AM

Thanks. My use seems much like yours. I am funding the K1 laggy. How was it transferring your settings, files?
    08-01-18 10:02 AM
    Thx for your review. I also upgraded from the One to the 2. Overall, I am pleased with the 2. However, I must admit it does feel (much) cheaper and lighter than the One, less solid. Keyboard typing experience is excellent and much better than the one on the One except for that wobbly spacebar key. Sensitivity is terrible on the other hand and worse than on my One. The swiping up gesture simply does not work on my 2. That is to say I need to swipe several times in order to get the word pasted but it is so terrible that I do not use this feature anymore. Speaking of that spacebar: the fingerprint sensor seems less in quality as it is not as fast and accurate as the One. Furthermore, I think I am one of the few who had some doubts about the placement of all the keys on the right side of the phone. I do get the point bu during calls I sometimes press the power instead of the volumerocker but that might just be me. Speed is defenitively better and improved. Far less lags or delays than on the one. The rest like screen quality, calling etc etc is on par with my One. After I installed the Oreo beta on my One I must say for me, and IMHO, the only upgrade would be the keyboard typing experience of the Two which is simply superb. For the rest, I would not advise to upgrade.....yet
    This review seems diametrically opposed to the original thread. I think I'll upgrade based on the original review.
    08-01-18 10:09 AM
    Thanks. My use seems much like yours. I am funding the K1 laggy. How was it transferring your settings, files?
    Transferring the data was a little odd, but no worse (probably better) than other android migrations. At first, I used the NFC back-to-back transfer, and this transferred some stuff (apps), but not everything (no IMs, IIRC). Then I used the Blackberry data transfer app, and this transferred some different stuff (pictures, IMs, but not the app settings). Then I backed up my keyone to the cloud (you need to wait a while for the all of the backups to work - even if you go into settings and supposedly trigger a backup, it doesn't backup everything right away). Next day, I factory reset yet again, setup via android using my cloud backup, then used the blackberry app. This seemed to get almost everything (had to re-login for a few apps, and setup some stuff for some work apps), but it also duplicated some contacts, notes and calendar events. At that point, I decided I was done. Over time, I've been de-duping stuff. I really hate android and computers.

Maybe there's a more streamlined way of doing this, but this is my experience (as best as I recall).
    08-01-18 03:04 PM
    Thanks for your review - really helpful. My phone requirements are very similar to yours too.

Thought unless something catastrophic happens to my Passport, I'm still going to wait a couple of months to see if there is a price drop in the UK.
    08-02-18 09:12 AM
33 12