KEY2 and KEY Note (Passport 2)

Posted via CB10
    he_x3 and Kraeutermann like this.
    01-29-18 04:28 AM
    If we are talking about roman numerals "Ⅹ" might be too soon and too iPhone, "Ⅱ" seems like the logical choice.

I suppose you could add buzz words like how Apple does their OS editions just with a security theme like "KEYᵒⁿᵉ Secure" this way they can play into the previous culture of BlackBerry branding (bold, leap, passport) while still retaining the KEYᵒⁿᵉ name. So one could say "What KEYᵒⁿᵉ do you have?" to which the reply would be something like "the secure", "the vault", "the bold" or whatever buzz words they come up with.

Posted via CB10
    Calling one "Secure" implies that the others aren't as much so. I like "Vault" and have wanted that for a BlackBerry device before. It has a double meaning which is cool. However, I think I that name would be better for devices that are not a direct upgrade of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ but one that is its own design. It would be a great for a complimentary device to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. I am thinking of the name for the followup pkb device causing the KEYᵒⁿᵉ name to make more sense.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 02-03-18 at 04:57 PM.
    02-03-18 03:45 PM
    I believe it will be lineage of KeyONE called KeyTWO, KeyTHREE, KeyFOUR etc. And I like the alphanumeric naming as proposed by the u/m poster:

There's always the shortened _KEY2_. Just because it hasn't been mentioned.
    02-03-18 09:17 PM
    If they make the next one with same build quality as Passport SE, they could call it KEYtank
    Qorax likes this.
    02-04-18 06:43 AM
    Btw, why was it called the KEYOne again? The 'one' part I understand ~ it was to denote the lineage of later variants, imo. However, what was the reasoning behind the 'key' part?
    02-04-18 08:54 AM
    Btw, why was it called the KEYOne again? The 'one' part I understand ~ it was to denote the lineage of later variants, imo. However, what was the reasoning behind the 'key' part?
    Key implying keyboard

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    Qorax likes this.
    02-04-18 08:59 AM
    The motion is the z30 upgrade. The key one is for the classic, passport and bold 9900
    I would say the dtek60 is the upgraded z30 over the Motion with the amoled screen and the stereo speakers.
    02-05-18 11:14 AM
    Besides the keyboard reference, using the word Key in the name, implies to me that it is a "key to things" in an idiomatic sense, for example, key to productivity, a key tool, a key to success, key component, key to communication, etc. I think it is a clever name for a pkb BlackBerry device.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-05-18 01:02 PM
    I would say the dtek60 is the upgraded z30 over the Motion with the amoled screen and the stereo speakers.
    the DTEKs were rebranded Alcatels without any unique design elements added. My wife has a DTEK60 device with an Idol 4S soft shell case and its a perfect fit. The PRIV was proof of concept device to attract manufacturers like TCL and the DTEKs was Blackberry committing to TCL by buying their brand and putting some skin in the game, then of course the KEYone was the handing over the baton. Because of their agenda I would not label the PRIV or DTEKs series an upgrade to any device but more as a dowery. I would focus on the KEYone and Motion as the dedicated devices for their user base rather than it being wright-offs to court a licensee.

a part of the DNA of blackberry is not just the keyboard but a budget device and a featured device such as Bold/Curve or Q10/Q5. The KEYone is the base device and it's successors I see as forking to this feature/budget direction. So KEYtwo "feature" and KEYtwo "budget" naming. The feature device will probably have a more power word and the budget some sort of progressive movement word.
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 02-12-18 at 07:19 AM.
    02-12-18 07:06 AM
    Blackberry BIZ
    02-18-18 11:23 PM
    they just need to drop the key. and just go with ktwo. that sounded better in my head. now it sounds like kato
    02-20-18 10:25 PM
    they just need to drop the key. and just go with ktwo. that sounded better in my head. now it sounds like kato
    Or the can go with an all new letter like Ptwo? Lmao.

The thinking was Passport two lol
    02-20-18 11:24 PM
    How about Key Too?
    02-21-18 09:40 AM
    Key², so then the cool kids can call it the key-squared.

Given that is is one of their more successful phones critically and sales wise in a while, I think they won't want to differentiate much, but make it obvious this is the successor to the KeyOne. KeyTwo does that.
    02-22-18 12:52 AM
    the DTEKs were rebranded Alcatels without any unique design elements added. My wife has a DTEK60 device with an Idol 4S soft shell case and its a perfect fit. The PRIV was proof of concept device to attract manufacturers like TCL and the DTEKs was Blackberry committing to TCL by buying their brand and putting some skin in the game, then of course the KEYone was the handing over the baton. Because of their agenda I would not label the PRIV or DTEKs series an upgrade to any device but more as a dowery. I would focus on the KEYone and Motion as the dedicated devices for their user base rather than it being wright-offs to court a licensee.

a part of the DNA of blackberry is not just the keyboard but a budget device and a featured device such as Bold/Curve or Q10/Q5. The KEYone is the base device and it's successors I see as forking to this feature/budget direction. So KEYtwo "feature" and KEYtwo "budget" naming. The feature device will probably have a more power word and the budget some sort of progressive movement word.
    I do think a budget device would be welcomed by many, especial in other markets where $500 is considered a premium price for a smartphone. But where do you cut the price on the KEYone? Would smaller make the phone really any less costly to build? Would users be happy with a lower cost processor? Slower RAM or Storage? Lower end screen or cameras? It's not like they can change the materials all that much...

I expect that the cost of doing business as BBMo is pretty high. You have a number of "extra" costs that an OEM's selling $200 - $400 phones don't have. Licensing is the first, do think a PKB is more costly to manufacture and to support, and then there are software updates. I think TCL pays for those as well, as it kinda seems like they are trying to stagger them a little. And then support in general... By the end of 2018 the KEYone ought to be the budget phone at around $400.

I think a direct upgrade to the KEYtwo with improved internals - but still midgrade. And then a little larger and more flagship device ought to fit better in the line up. But then I don't see the PKB niche supporting three phones.....
    02-22-18 02:37 PM
    BBMo really has a tight price to work with as much higher it would be laughed at and much lower then there is no room for profits. If it's a different device than the keyone it has to be a similar price point cause I don't think the pkb market is strong enough for $1000 devices.
    02-22-18 02:58 PM
    It will simply be called KEYone. Listed as KEYone (2018).
    04-23-18 10:31 AM
42 12