Just because you are on the October update, doesn't mean everyone is. The latest KEY2 update is the November update.
    This is exactly why I'm asking what update everyone is on. So what you are saying is that the November update makes the camera better?
    12-05-18 03:27 PM
    The problem is most of the KEY² users are BlackBerry users, so the point of reference they have were the previous BlackBerry phones.

This is the reason they don't see KEY² camera's shortcomings. Either they didn't use front-facing camera as BB10 hardly had any app to use its for work meetings Or the quality of BlackBerry previous phones was so bad that they never got used to it.

In theory, KEY² pretty much beats all of BlackBerry previous attempts. Like someone said above, if BlackBerry didn't have the ability to make use of the hardware (two lenses), they could have just slightly improved upon KEYᵒⁿᵉ's single lense, and take it from there.
    Also, some of us simply don't much like taking photos, period. I prefer to be fully present and rely on my memories to interrupting my life to take photos.

On the rare occasions when I want to document something with a photo, such as a kid's birthday, I grab my Nikon DSLR and make it a project deserving of my full attention.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the camera on my phone. I simply don't need a lot of pictures of my life, friends, family, etc living our daily lives.

My wife and I first started dating more than 25 years ago, and there are fewer than 50 days in that time where we have 1 or more photos of our lives together. That's fewer than two days a year where we would have used a mobile phone camera, no matter how great the photos were!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-05-18 05:31 PM
    Long story short: the pictures taken are the only thing that have some real value. The phone gets older, you'll replace it. You lose your phone, your pics are hopefully backuped. For many, only the pics remain after many years.

For that very reason, KEY2's camera is trash. The only long term valuable thing it makes is very poor in todays standards and it's price. Trash, trash, junk, trash, waste, trash. Objectively. Period.
    It sounds like your photos are really important to you. So, obviously you should get a phone with a camera that satisfies that requirement for you.

I simply don't use my phone to take photos and wouldn't no matter how good the camera. I just don't value photographs the way you do. I'm glad I have one or two photos a year of my close friends and family, but I don't take those with my phone. I grab a proper camera and shoot a few hundred shots to get 4 or 5 good ones, then I delete all the others.

anon(10572925) likes this.
    12-05-18 05:41 PM
    Just because big screens and amazing cameras are all the rage these days, doesn't mean we should sacrifice a keyboard for them.

Too many OEM's are just focused on display and camera, completely leaving out just about everything else, including but not limited to:
    Accurate and confident typed communication, one handed ergonomics, ruggedness of materials used, etc...

Enough with the slabbing already, I'm bored here lol
    If the mass market of consumers wanted /needed those things then the OEM's would adapt. Your smart enough to understand that by your posts but you keep suggesting that they should have prioritize some items that their customers don't care about.

Display and camera technology has advanced greatly even though you keep saying there is no innovation. It's actually quite impressive, foldable screens, in screen fingerprint reader etc.
    12-05-18 06:40 PM
    Also, some of us simply don't much like taking photos, period. I prefer to be fully present and rely on my memories to interrupting my life to take photos.

On the rare occasions when I want to document something with a photo, such as a kid's birthday, I grab my Nikon DSLR and make it a project deserving of my full attention.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the camera on my phone. I simply don't need a lot of pictures of my life, friends, family, etc living our daily lives.

My wife and I first started dating more than 25 years ago, and there are fewer than 50 days in that time where we have 1 or more photos of our lives together. That's fewer than two days a year where we would have used a mobile phone camera, no matter how great the photos were!

I'm not taking about taking photos or videos for personal use. I'd rather take them with DSLR anyways.

A part from personal preferences, the work nowadays at times require video meetings and other usage of camera. Camera has become a fundamental part of productivity in many professions.

When you're pitching a phone as a productivity tool and also with "two" cameras, then it's a failed attempt or bad product.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-05-18 07:23 PM
    The KEY2 has the same sensor as the Samsung S9+, so they should invest more into software, not hardware.
    The sensor is only part of the equation. The software and the processor is a huge part nowadays... you need great software, lots and lots of processing capabilities. No wonder the top smartphone cameras mostly has high end processors
    12-05-18 07:30 PM
    There’s something that BB should learn: if you do something... do it well, or don’t do it.

Doesn’t really matter if the target market need the greatest camera... what matters is to prevent bad publicity.

But putting a dual lens... BB said to the world that they want to play in the big leagues on smartphone cameras. And they came out really really short
    spacesnow likes this.
    12-05-18 07:37 PM
    If the mass market of consumers wanted /needed those things then the OEM's would adapt. Your smart enough to understand that by your posts but you keep suggesting that they should have prioritize some items that their customers don't care about.

Display and camera technology has advanced greatly even though you keep saying there is no innovation. It's actually quite impressive, foldable screens, in screen fingerprint reader etc.

If BlackBerry Mobile is interested in the "mass market" they will need to compete on the camera. But it's not at all clear that that's what they are trying to do, based on the design of the phone.

Only they know what their goals are. The fact v that they made a fuss about the sensors in their press releases suggest they do care.

I do not.

12-05-18 08:11 PM
    There’s something that BB should learn: if you do something... do it well, or don’t do it.

Doesn’t really matter if the target market need the greatest camera... what matters is to prevent bad publicity.

But putting a dual lens... BB said to the world that they want to play in the big leagues on smartphone cameras. And they came out really really short
    Yep the dual lens is a pissoff because they wanted to market and pretend that the camera is comparable to other modern phones but then we get this crap.

They should never ever have put a dual lens camera and instead just optimized a proper single lens.
    TheBond, the_boon and cyberdoggie like this.
    12-05-18 08:54 PM
    Yep the dual lens is a pissoff because they wanted to market and pretend that the camera is comparable to other modern phones but then we get this crap.

They should never ever have put a dual lens camera and instead just optimized a proper single lens.
    I'll take the bokeh feature and get slightly degraded low light capability. No contest for me.
    JOHNGAETANO likes this.
    12-05-18 09:19 PM
    I'll take the bokeh feature and get slightly degraded low light capability. No contest for me.
    ...as usual, as with almost any issue discussed here. :-)

Nothing personal, I just think that you must be satisfied with anything either cannot be unsatisfied at all. Lucky man! I wish I were happy with it too!
    TheBond and Bbfan1614 like this.
    12-06-18 12:13 AM
    I do agree 100% I'd rather have the bokeh, vs fantastic low light.
    12-06-18 12:13 AM
    I do agree 100% I'd rather have the bokeh, vs fantastic low light.
    You got below average daylight (details? Colours?), bokeh with strange processing but sometimes is performs it's job OK, it depends, and you also got trashy low light...
    12-06-18 12:20 AM
    A hat tip to MKBHD for doing a bold blind test.

It wasn't just that the BB beat the iPhone in the blind test, it is that it beat it by a large margin. I think he said something like 60k votes for the XS and 260k for the BlackBerry.

One can not like the results and spin it in any number of ways, but the fact is that even when decompressed, you would expect the iPhone to have a better picture than the BB, no?

Bottom line is that in THIS test, BB wiped the floor with the iPhone. I'm sure if the test were done in lower light or other situations, iPhone would win easily.

Accept the results and move on; no need to rain on our BB party - we'll take small wins where we can get them.

Peace...
    AmritD likes this.
    12-06-18 12:29 AM
    The sensor is only part of the equation. The software and the processor is a huge part nowadays... you need great software, lots and lots of processing capabilities. No wonder the top smartphone cameras mostly has high end processors
    That's why I said they should invest more in the software. No need to quote me and basically repeat what I said.
    12-06-18 12:08 PM
    A hat tip to MKBHD for doing a bold blind test.

It wasn't just that the BB beat the iPhone in the blind test, it is that it beat it by a large margin. I think he said something like 60k votes for the XS and 260k for the BlackBerry.

One can not like the results and spin it in any number of ways, but the fact is that even when decompressed, you would expect the iPhone to have a better picture than the BB, no?

Bottom line is that in THIS test, BB wiped the floor with the iPhone. I'm sure if the test were done in lower light or other situations, iPhone would win easily.

Accept the results and move on; no need to rain on our BB party - we'll take small wins where we can get them.

Peace...
    I don't like iPhone photos anyway, they're usually overexposed.
    12-06-18 12:10 PM
    That's why I said they should invest more in the software. No need to quote me and basically repeat what I said.
    I also added processor
    12-06-18 04:04 PM
    I don't like iPhone photos anyway, they're usually overexposed.
    Actually iPhone are known to have more realistic colour representation. Samsung are known to have over saturation. Overexposure result in bad sensors/software
    12-06-18 04:05 PM
    Actually iPhone are known to have more realistic colour representation.
    As a photographer, I disagree. Everything pops too much, i.e. oversaturation, resulting in unrealistic photos. I don't care what YouTube thinks, like I said: as a photographer, I disagree.
    12-06-18 04:16 PM
    As a photographer, I disagree. Everything pops too much, i.e. oversaturation, resulting in unrealistic photos. I don't care what YouTube thinks, like I said: as a photographer, I disagree.
    Yeah but we’re not talking about professional photography here... we’re comparing smartphone cameras
    12-06-18 05:52 PM
    I agree software is more powerful than hw... my pixel 2 got a nice boost with nightlight. Recently.
    12-07-18 09:56 AM
    Look at priv, arguably best hw at the time for camera. Software blew it.
    12-07-18 09:59 AM
    So, these comments about good camera/bad camera can go on forever.

BlackBerry mobile has pretty much maximized function of the PKB. Not likely improving the PKB further will boost market share at all.

As other features such as the camera start fading compared to others, market share will shrink.

Some/many but not all still desire a significantly better camera. Market share among current users will shrink. Will also not attract converts. Not good.

I find camera below mediocre. It really hit home when I tried to deposit checks on banking apps (and different banks) in the evening. Photos kept getting rejected. Switched to my iPhone. No problem.

BlackBerry Mobile really needs to pay attention to this. Would like to understand why cost of PKB is so prohibitive that it can't co-exist with a better camera at this price point. Maybe that would help clear up some of this discussion. I'm sure it's a factor. It better be.

I'd like not to carry two phones in part for family photos.

Typed on my KEY2
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-07-18 10:20 AM
    I find that since updating to the ABI update, the low light camera performance has certainly improved. I put the Key2 side by side with my KEYone on an ABD update and the Key2 was better able to pickup details in low light. So we know that BlackBerry is aware of the camera needing improvement, and personally I am quite satisfied with the Key2's camera. Heck, I'm even satisfied with the Classic's camera but it was hard to take action shots on the Classic, so the Key2 is quite good enough for me.
    12-07-18 10:32 AM
    I find that since updating to the ABI update, the low light camera performance has certainly improved. I put the Key2 side by side with my KEYone on an ABD update and the Key2 was better able to pickup details in low light. So we know that BlackBerry is aware of the camera needing improvement, and personally I am quite satisfied with the Key2's camera. Heck, I'm even satisfied with the Classic's camera but it was hard to take action shots on the Classic, so the Key2 is quite good enough for me.
    This is good to know. It's frustrating though, as from day 1, I mentioned the lack of the sharp detail in daytime, normal lit conditions. Photos looked grainy, fuzzy the moment you tried to zoom in even the slightest. To me, that was a bigger problem than the low light.
    12-07-18 11:04 AM
219 12345 ...