how secure is the K2? are private & public Wi-Fi hosts capable of 👀 👀 at our website history, emails, etc, while using their Wi-Fi network?
    04-30-20 09:15 PM
    how secure is the K2? are private & public Wi-Fi hosts capable of at our website history, emails, etc, while using their Wi-Fi network?
    No different than any other smartphone.

Use a VPN when on public WiFi.

Data in transit has nothing to do with your brand of phone.
    04-30-20 10:10 PM
    No different than any other smartphone.

Use a VPN when on public WiFi.

Data in transit has nothing to do with your brand of phone.
    “BlackBerry adds extra protection to Wi-Fi®, VPN, Bluetooth and NFC to protect data in transit ”

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/pro...re-smartphones
    rarsen likes this.
    05-01-20 03:42 PM
    “BlackBerry adds extra protection to Wi-Fi, VPN, Bluetooth and NFC to protect data in transit ”

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/pro...re-smartphones
    Yes, the quote is this one:

"Data in Transit Protection: BlackBerry adds extra protection to Wi-Fi, VPN, Bluetooth and NFC to protect data in transit across your entire network."

However, there is no such thing as "anything extra". The protocols are the protocols. You're either compliant or you're not.

Perhaps it's some reference to BlackBerry UEM.
    rarsen likes this.
    05-01-20 05:02 PM
    All the security stuff that BlackBerry put into their Android devices is in the document at

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...vtdjdypsV-AOR4Key2 Wi-Fi security on public networks?-notable-00075.jpegKey2 Wi-Fi security on public networks?-notable-00076.jpeg
    rarsen likes this.
    05-01-20 08:58 PM
    All the security stuff that BlackBerry put into their Android devices is in the document at

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...vtdjdypsV-AOR4Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOTABLE-00075.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	448376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOTABLE-00076.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	448377
    Yes. All standard stuff.
    rarsen likes this.
    05-01-20 09:41 PM
    You can't use anything other than standard protocols unless your recipient also uses the same non-standard protocol that you're using. It's the same reason why we can't have encrypted voice calls - that would require every carrier (and, by extension, every government) worldwide to support the same encryption standard.

VPNs work because a company has set up this additional encryption and given you the proper information to connect to it - but you can only connect directly to their servers. You could also create your own VPN server - at home, say - and tunnel to your home server from your phone - but you can't tunnel to just anywhere.
    rarsen and bbfanfan like this.
    05-02-20 12:51 AM
    so who knows of a good VPN? I just recently installed Turbo VPN and I'm actually (believing) enjoying wifi security. thought of purchasing Sky Roam...Thoughts?
    05-03-20 02:06 PM
    Yeah BlackBerry really needed to offer some kind of Cloud BES Solution with each phone... for a few months. They require a subscription if users wanted to proceed with usage.

BES like VPN to a BlackBerry Cloud Server (have to be some data/bandwidth limits - no torrent or streaming, without a extra fee)
    Secure Storage via WatchDox (tired to what you needed, and could afford... but in line with basic 15GB plans)
    Hosted Exchange Email - @blackberry.com or custom domain(for extra fee)
    Live Cylance data scanner
    Additional SecueSmart features for voice and texting.
    BBMe

Granted at the end of the few months... you'd be looking at a $200 a month subscription from BlackBerry. But who can put a price on security? But if it were a more reasonable price.... with some bundles? Some here would jump on it.
    05-12-20 02:07 PM
    I'd recommend using ProtonVPN, it's free and comes with a free ProtonMail email account.

ProtonMail is encrypted in a way that they cannot access your information, and they are based in the Netherlands which has strict privacy laws.

The company is very security focused and is kept running by people paying for more email storage and more options with the VPN. They don't (can't) sell your data and don't put ads anywhere in their products so if you have the $ to pay for it, it'd help them out.
    05-12-20 02:36 PM
    I'd recommend using ProtonVPN, it's free and comes with a free ProtonMail email account.

ProtonMail is encrypted in a way that they cannot access your information, and they are based in the Netherlands which has strict privacy laws.

The company is very security focused and is kept running by people paying for more email storage and more options with the VPN. They don't (can't) sell your data and don't put ads anywhere in their products so if you have the $ to pay for it, it'd help them out.
    But it's astonishingly slow.
    05-12-20 03:03 PM
    Yeah BlackBerry really needed to offer some kind of Cloud BES Solution with each phone... for a few months. They require a subscription if users wanted to proceed with usage.

BES like VPN to a BlackBerry Cloud Server (have to be some data/bandwidth limits - no torrent or streaming, without a extra fee)
    Secure Storage via WatchDox (tired to what you needed, and could afford... but in line with basic 15GB plans)
    Hosted Exchange Email - @blackberry.com or custom domain(for extra fee)
    Live Cylance data scanner
    Additional SecueSmart features for voice and texting.
    BBMe

Granted at the end of the few months... you'd be looking at a $200 a month subscription from BlackBerry. But who can put a price on security? But if it were a more reasonable price.... with some bundles? Some here would jump on it.
    That's actually one of the better ideas I've heard on these forums in a long time.
    05-12-20 06:49 PM
    That's actually one of the better ideas I've heard on these forums in a long time.
    It's not really mine.... they have long had all the pieces to provide most these solutions. But they have focused only on offering them for a premium, to regulated industries and government clients.
    05-13-20 07:05 AM
    I’m trying to connect to the public network all the time, too, and I don’t get it all the time. The thing is, I write site codes and sometimes it turns out like this up working in public places like parks. I need the Internet all the time. I use Homedale to connect to WiFi. Downloaded it from the pirate bay because I trust this torrent and now use this program to connect to the public network. I think she can help you, too.
    Last edited by morgen4hlem; 05-21-22 at 02:53 AM.
    05-20-22 09:43 AM
    Why would you want to do that?
    Who is "you", and what is "that"?
    05-20-22 09:55 AM
    You can't use anything other than standard protocols unless your recipient also uses the same non-standard protocol that you're using. It's the same reason why we can't have encrypted voice calls - that would require every carrier (and, by extension, every government) worldwide to support the same encryption standard.

VPNs work because a company has set up this additional encryption and given you the proper information to connect to it - but you can only connect directly to their servers. You could also create your own VPN server - at home, say - and tunnel to your home server from your phone - but you can't tunnel to just anywhere.
    ^^ This. The screen shots above refer to an enterprise's VPN use case. They don't refer to a use case when you're connecting to 'free' wifi networks.
    05-20-22 05:48 PM
    Who is "you", and what is "that"?
    That's private info. Just answer the question
    05-20-22 05:56 PM
    so who knows of a good VPN? I just recently installed Turbo VPN and I'm actually (believing) enjoying wifi security. thought of purchasing Sky Roam...Thoughts?
    You should stick to well established players. I'm not familiar with Turbo or Sky Roam but that's not to say they're not good products. I've used and evaluated Norton, BitDefender, Nord, TorGuard etc. Google is your friend and any number of searches will come up with lists of reviewed VPN's. Check that a review publishes the criteria they used to review VPN's and check that it's current (written in the last two years).
    05-20-22 05:57 PM