I personally didn't care at all about the negligible spec difference and performance. The Key2 performed well but when I landed on the keyboard I was sadly disappointed. I would pay top dollars for a quality performing phone with a Passport like functioning keyboard. Unfortunately the KEY2 fell short at the keyboard.

KEY3, Where are you?
    11-14-18 07:39 PM
    Fine.

I've already reached the point of diminishing returns on added "performance", so there is almost no value play for me to go up.

The 4 BBMo devices share no components with any Alcatel products. They are durable, well-crafted phones.

If you're happier with a Pico device, then fill your boats.
    Fine, you reached the point, congrats, I'm far away from it.

Are you sure they not share any components? Obviously they does look different now, but Dtek50 & Dtek60 was a total rip-off with extra 100-150 bucks for a rubber back change with BB logo, but what about internals like cameras, speakers and etc?

KEY* all good, but what 2 more devices you're talking about? Didn't they created 8 not 4?
    11-14-18 07:58 PM
    Fine, you reached the point, congrats, I'm far away from it.

Are you sure they not share any components? Obviously they does look different now, but Dtek50 & Dtek60 was a total rip-off with extra 100 bucks for a rubber back change with BB logo, but what about internals like cameras, speakers and etc?

KEY* all good, but what 2 more devices you're talking about? Didn't they created 8 not 4?
    KEYᵒⁿᵉ, Motion, KEY², KEY² LE.

BlackBerry of old contracted TCL to build them 2 devices made from Alcatel kit parts. This has NOTHING to do with BlackBerry Mobile (and their 4, and only 4 BlackBerry-branded products).
    11-14-18 08:01 PM
    KEYᵒⁿᵉ, Motion, KEY², KEY² LE.

BlackBerry of old contracted TCL to build them 2 devices made from Alcatel kit parts. This has NOTHING to do with BlackBerry Mobile (and their 4, and only 4 BlackBerry-branded products).
    Ok, so BlackBerry started this android low specs/perfomance nonsense with Dtek devices, sad BBMo is still continuing this.

+ Didn't you forget Aurora and Evolve?
    11-14-18 08:07 PM
    Ok, so BlackBerry started this android low specs/perfomance nonsense with Dtek devices, sad BBMo is still continuing this.

+ Didn't you forget Aurora and Evolve?
    That's not TCL (BlackBerry Mobile).

The Aurora is by PT BB Merah Putih exclusively for Indonesia, and Optiemus makes the Evolves exclusively for India.

There are 3 licencees.
    Last edited by conite; 11-14-18 at 08:24 PM.
    11-14-18 08:09 PM
    I don't think it's wacky. I love it thus far. Ya the camera is crap and the screen quality is passable. But I think it makes for a unique phone with the PKB thats not for everyone. And can we talk about the battery life?! Insane! But that's to be expected...its a blackberry.
    11-14-18 09:40 PM
    Apart from the Passport and Priv, no BlackBerry-branded product has ever been within shooting distance of top-end specs. Ever.

And frankly, as a communications and writing device, it's hardly necessary.
    That's the thing. We have to remember what this thing is and isn't for.
    11-14-18 10:14 PM
    That's the thing. We have to remember what this thing is and isn't for.
    wacky wacky wacky
    11-15-18 02:20 AM
    Pocophone or oneplus offers much higher performance phones for 300-500 bucks, huawei offers P20 PRO for 700 bucks

Like @conite said it would be 25% more expensive, don't know how since it uses much smaller screen then all others but so be it, they can make same performance device for 800 buck easy and become interesting in general.

be honest, minority for PKB is interested now just because of PKB, no other internal makes anyone interest including existing minority PKB owners to KEY2 because it's horrible. Think about it.

And all existing "product" managers for hardware and software like camera app should be fired by now
    IMO, you're trying to make BlackBerry devices into something they are not, have never been, and never will be. They have never had anything better than high average specs, sufficient for email power users , light Web browsing, and average use of practical business apps. For that purpose, the KEY2 is not only adequately specced, but is future-proof for the three years of expected duty.

You seem to think that, if BlackBerry built a phone with a better photo system, faster processor, water resistant rating, etc., that they would make more profit. Other than your personal perspective that that is the phone YOU want to buy, what data do you have to back that up?

The product managers and marketing teams at BlackBerry have all the data that exists, plus they have the feedback from their worldwide network of carriers. They know the demand curve for various features and the manufacturing and distribution costs for their products.

Based on their experience and feedback from the KEYone, they made a number of adjustments to increase market share and optimize profitability:

- De-emphasize the camera in marketing.
    - Increase RAM by 100%.
    - Stick with the 6xx SD SoC.
    - Improve the PKB
    - Add the Speed Key to enable shortcuts within apps
    - Offer a less expensive phone version, with similar specs to the KEYone, but without the capacitive PKB.

Since making BlackBerry successful means a lot more to the BlackBerry Mobile team than it does to any of us (their jobs, retirements, etc.), I am more inclined to believe their analysis than your desires.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Byrese, the_boon and ppeters914 like this.
    11-15-18 11:32 AM
    IMO, you're trying to make BlackBerry devices into something they are not, have never been, and never will be. They have never had anything better than high average specs, sufficient for email power users , light Web browsing, and average use of practical business apps. For that purpose, the KEY2 is not only adequately specced, but is future-proof for the three years of expected duty.

You seem to think that, if BlackBerry built a phone with a better photo system, faster processor, water resistant rating, etc., that they would make more profit. Other than your personal perspective that that is the phone YOU want to buy, what data do you have to back that up?

The product managers and marketing teams at BlackBerry have all the data that exists, plus they have the feedback from their worldwide network of carriers. They know the demand curve for various features and the manufacturing and distribution costs for their products.

Based on their experience and feedback from the KEYone, they made a number of adjustments to increase market share and optimize profitability:

- De-emphasize the camera in marketing.
    - Increase RAM by 100%.
    - Stick with the 6xx SD SoC.
    - Improve the PKB
    - Add the Speed Key to enable shortcuts within apps
    - Offer a less expensive phone version, with similar specs to the KEYone, but without the capacitive PKB.

Since making BlackBerry successful means a lot more to the BlackBerry Mobile team than it does to any of us (their jobs, retirements, etc.), I am more inclined to believe their analysis than your desires.

Can we count on it being future proof? I was promised Android O and monthly updates but have had nothing since July.
    11-15-18 08:20 PM
    Can we count on it being future proof? I was promised Android O and monthly updates but have had nothing since July.
    There are no guarantees, but the KEYone received O as promised, so I don't have any reason to doubt BlackBerry Mobile. I don't know what your situation is, but I have gotten O and monthly updates on my KEYone with no issues.

11-15-18 08:48 PM
    There are no guarantees, but the KEYone received O as promised, so I don't have any reason to doubt BlackBerry Mobile. I don't know what your situation is, but I have gotten O and monthly updates on my KEYone with no issues.

No. The US CDMA variant is not getting Oreo. Nor has anyone gotten a security update on it since July.
    11-15-18 08:56 PM
    No. The US CDMA variant is not getting Oreo. Nor has anyone gotten a security update on it since July.
    "Timing and availability of this update will depend on carrier policy and schedule"
    11-15-18 09:08 PM
    "Timing and availability of this update will depend on carrier policy and schedule"
    I know, I know. But what about N updates at least?
    11-15-18 09:13 PM
    Got it. I don't follow the status of every variant. Is it late, or is Verizon not going to support it at all?

11-16-18 07:39 AM
    Got it. I don't follow the status of every variant. Is it late, or is Verizon not going to support it at all?

It seems CDMA and BBMo have parted ways. As is CDMA and Verizon.
    Last edited by conite; 11-16-18 at 08:12 AM.
    SteveNoza likes this.
    11-16-18 08:00 AM

Doesn't seem so. And if you ask, BBMo and Verizon just blame each other. I have an email into BBMo but am expecting nothing but a generic answer.
    11-16-18 08:09 AM
    Does iPhones updates depends from carriers or every update goes straight from Apple servers?
    11-16-18 09:03 AM
    I know, I know. But what about N updates at least?
    They ditched N since O is for all KEY* now, so NO no more N updates
    11-16-18 09:04 AM
    Does iPhones updates depends from carriers or every update goes straight from Apple servers?
    All BBMo updates come from TCL servers too.

But there are dozens of variants and each follows whatever process is required by whatever carrier or region that mandates the variant in the first place.

Apple is pretty much the only manufacturer that negotiated a decade ago to fly over the update labyrinth. Even Samsung has to play the same game as everyone else.

A new model is emerging where manufactures skip the regionalisation, produce only one or two unlocked variants, and update them without adhering to the various regional players - mostly Android One devices and the like.
    11-16-18 09:09 AM
    No. They have already produced one N patch after Oreo already.
    11-16-18 09:10 AM
    Well, not all of them!
    11-16-18 09:11 AM
    Doesn't seem so. And if you ask, BBMo and Verizon just blame each other. I have an email into BBMo but am expecting nothing but a generic answer.
    That does suck. At a minimum, BlackBerry Mobile ought to issue a statement of regret with a frank explanation (they don't have to claim responsibility or assign blame) and a discount or trade-in offer for a KEY2 LE phone for CDMA buyers of the KEYone.

That might not make people happy, but it would be an acknowledgement of the disappointment of users who took them at their word re: Oreo.
    conite and the_boon like this.
    11-16-18 01:38 PM
    That does suck. At a minimum, BlackBerry Mobile ought to issue a statement of regret with a frank explanation (they don't have to claim responsibility or assign blame) and a discount or trade-in offer for a KEY2 LE phone for CDMA buyers of the KEYone.

That might not make people happy, but it would be an acknowledgement of the disappointment of users who took them at their word re: Oreo.
    And since there are so few CDMA devices out there, and fewer still that would take advantage of a rebate, this would be a cost-effective gesture of goodwill from BBMo.
    11-16-18 01:54 PM
    And since there are so few CDMA devices out there, and fewer still that would take advantage of a rebate, this would be a cost-effective gesture of goodwill from BBMo.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

11-16-18 02:26 PM
145 ... 23456