What is your opinion about KEY2 in general? Is it **** or not, no pricing nonsense just the final product itself - in general? Be honest, please.

IMHO KEY2 is a wacky product beside keyboard and design, TCL was impotent to put great hardware in it or in any other previous BB android devices. Can we blame them? All their life they made a ****ty products like Alcatel.

Here's only one question from me to answer, are TCL hopeless impotents or can they show their mojo with upcoming KEY3 device?
    11-08-18 06:12 PM
    I don't expect the KEY3 to compete with flagships from other brands anywhere but the price. They have their niche and they seem to be fine with it.
    11-08-18 06:14 PM
    What is your opinion about KEY2 in general? Is it **** or not, no pricing nonsense just the final product itself - in general? Be honest, please.

IMHO KEY2 is a wacky product beside keyboard and design, TCL was impotent to put great hardware in it or in any other previous BB android devices. Can we blame them? All their life they made a ****ty products like Alcatel.

Here's only one question from me to answer, are TCL hopeless impotents or can they show their mojo with upcoming KEY3 device?
    Apart from the Passport and Priv, no BlackBerry-branded product has ever been within shooting distance of top-end specs. Ever.

And frankly, as a communications and writing device, it's hardly necessary.
    11-08-18 06:23 PM
    seems lots would not be happy either way. if tlc built key2 with fastest processing and most ram it would only be king of hill for couple months till next fast thing came. not to mention it would cost a fortune and would sell a handful. I don't know but would guess building a phone with a keyboard has to be tougher and more expensive then slabs. this one has an amazing keyboard and I think specs are perfect. will next one be higher of course it will. but I don't think it will do a whole lot more. still email phone and text like every phone out there including bb10 ones. it's all about a pissing contest. I could not be more pleased with this phone except I can't use the capactive keyboard.
    11-08-18 06:32 PM
    Well said... those of us that use a smartphone device for communicating/writing are fine with a device like the BlackBerry KEY2.

Others who have the need to use their devices primarily for social media, etc. are better suited with a device from a manufacturer that satisfies that niche with their highly promoted cameras, etc.

Different strokes for different folks...

Bob
    11-08-18 06:36 PM
    I think the Key2 is just a number of improvements way from a successful handset

1. IP rating: TCL needs to somehow protect this phone from at least drizzle or splash damage. In today's market this is a must have

2. Camera: Please just squeeze in a pixel 2 grade camera in the key 3. it will be a few years old by then so the cost shouldn't be high for TCL to implement this.

3. Processor: I can understand the 660, but still the 835 is just fine battery wise. Not to mention it's graphical and processing power is much better than the 660. Again it won't be that expensive to implement a 835 in key3

4. Get rid of the navigation bar! software based navigation please!
    11-08-18 07:55 PM

1. IP rating: TCL needs to somehow protect this phone from at least drizzle or splash damage. In today's market this is a must have

2. Camera: Please just squeeze in a pixel 2 grade camera in the key 3. it will be a few years old by then so the cost shouldn't be high for TCL to implement this.

3. Processor: I can understand the 660, but still the 835 is just fine battery wise. Not to mention it's graphical and processing power is much better than the 660. Again it won't be that expensive to implement a 835 in key3

Sounds perfect!
    All I really want is a better camera, and water proofing would be awesome too.
    I would definitely buy another BlackBerry if it had these features.....!
    11-09-18 12:57 AM

I explained this possibility here and even sent it to BB Mobile directly via Instagram direct.

/blackberry-keyone-f445/why-pkb-can-have-ip-rating-1142880/

Yup
    KEY2 is fast enough for just about everything but the most intense gaming on max settings. The war for internal specs is overrated, and is a result of boring smartphone hardware.
    Yes, PLEASE
    11-09-18 03:50 AM

Sounds like a bash on TCL/KEY2 more than trying to get opinions on the device.
    11-09-18 03:55 AM
    Quite Happy with the Key 2
    After the PRIV that was having serious issues with a too slow processor and a short battery life, The Key2 was a major improvement for me.
    There is ONE thing VERY annoying and that is the physical keyboard.
    Where the PRIV had a perfect keyboard with a strong backlight and very well visible "alt" keys, on the Key2 the "Alt" keys are not visible at all.
    Luckily, after using a PRIV for 3 years, I sort of "know" where the special characters are to be found, but I think that was a SERIOUS mistake the BB designers made... Never change something that ALL users were super happy about.

Another minor thing is the screen that is not 16:9
    nowadays even Blackberry users will play video content or TV on their Blackberry.
    So bring back 16:9 and a proper backlit (and visible) keyboard and you are doing a good job

Harpert
    Martin Haughton likes this.
    11-09-18 07:44 AM
    Honestly, I look at what is REASONNABLY missing from the KEY2: improved camera and screen /dual speaker/fixed space bar and fingerprint sensor (already implemented on the LE, it seems)/some measure of protection against dust and water, and I can’t why they would ever release a KEY3 without these enhancements.

And not mess up what works !
    11-09-18 09:35 AM

I don't really know what's your main point of criticism here. What do you mean by great hardware? I do understand that the loudspeaker and the camera are a real let down. But in terms of chipsets BB never made real flagship devices. Do they need them for what these phones are designed for? I don't think so...
    V-Tom likes this.
    11-09-18 03:40 PM
    Honestly, I look at what is REASONNABLY missing from the KEY2: improved camera and screen /dual speaker/fixed space bar and fingerprint sensor (already implemented on the LE, it seems)/some measure of protection against dust and water, and I can’t why they would ever release a KEY3 without these enhancements.

And not mess up what works !
    I would have kept mine if the touch pad sensitivity was on par with the Passport or even the Keyone at the very least.

Image stabilization would have been nice.

Fingerprint sensor hopefully can be improved with a software update.

Dual stereo speakers would have been the bomb, in fact it would have been a tougher decision if it had it.

I do wish the screen could have been bigger even if the phone had to be bigger. Felt tiny in the hand.
    11-09-18 03:42 PM
    I don't really know what's your main point of criticism here. What do you mean by great hardware? I do understand that the loudspeaker and the camera are a real let down. But in terms of chipsets BB never made real flagship devices. Do they need them for what these phones are designed for? I don't think so...
    Don't you think chipset is one of the biggest reasons camera is so ****ty?
    11-09-18 03:51 PM
    Apart from the Passport and Priv, no BlackBerry-branded product has ever been within shooting distance of top-end specs. Ever.

You can only call it a writing devices like a pager, but definitely NOT A COMMUNICATION DEVICE.
    Today's communication is not only by writing sms, it is combined by photos and videos, SOCIAL MEDIA IS A PART OF COMMUNICATION, you like it or not, and KEY2 doesn't handle it.
    What's why I think KEY2 is a wacky product, it doesn't meet basic communication needs. It is no better then a fake iPhone Xs you can buy for 180bucks + it is almost 2019, wake up, it is the same to say Lada is a great car, it was never meant to be comfortable, you can go from a to b, ++ it cost almost the same as a flagships and you fine with it, really?
    11-09-18 04:09 PM
    11-09-18 04:09 PM
    Don't you think chipset is one of the biggest reasons camera is so ****ty?
    Even with a top of the line Snapdragon 8something chipset it would still be using bargain basement sensors and TCL's camera software.
    11-09-18 04:10 PM
    You can only call it a writing devices like a pager, but definitely NOT A COMMUNICATION DEVICE. Today communication is not only by writing sms, it is combined by photos and videos, SOCIAL MEDIA IS A PART OF COMMUNICATION, you like it or not, and KEY2 doesn't handle it.
    What's why I think it KEY2 is a wacky product, it doesn't meet basic communication needs. It is no better then a fake iPhone Xs you can buy for 180bucks + it is almost 2019, wake up, it is the same to say Lada is a great car, it was never meant to be comfortable, you can go from a to b, ++ it cost almost the same as a flagships and you fine with it, really?
    The 660 in the KEY² can't handle social media? Come on.

It essentially has the same power as a 835 (sans GPU).
    the_boon likes this.
    11-09-18 04:11 PM
    I wonder if this discussion would go a different direction if the software experience was up to date design-wise, old bugs were squashed long time ago and the hardware would provide more options like keeping the CTRL key on the left, allowing single hand use with the Speed Key & designing a single, double and long press Convenience Key action.

I wonder if people would be less frustrated and accept the device as is.

I am a firm believer that though hardware is important the magic is in the software and hardware UX. Call me old school but I am still using a Lenovo T410....good hardware but Win 10 is the magic that makes it work really well.
    Last edited by RK_BB; 11-09-18 at 05:08 PM.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-09-18 04:24 PM
    The 660 in the KEY² can't handle social media? Come on.

It essentially has the same power as a 835 (sans GPU).
    I don't care about the GPU or RAM like most of the people, device NEEDS to do its job, specially then you call it a TOOL. But KEY2 is a real toy by measuring with the iPhone you all calling a toy. iPhone doesn't have highest GPU or RAM and nobody cares because it does the job right like a real TOOL, KEY2 in other hand is a joke.

Only fool can say nobody wants BlackBerry or PKB. MAKE COMPETITIVE DEVICE FIRST.

How many Alcatel devices do you see stock in store shelves, none like BB? It's because it is a wacky product and does the same ****ty job like KEY2 or other android BB. Everyone will better put wacky but highly marketed Samsung product then Alcatel or BB, at least it solds.

For the God sake wake up! If you want to be interesting and sell, you have to make oneplus or Huawei hardware.
    TCL have advantage with PKB, PKB is uniqueness no one is offering beside them, but with this hardware, first emotion is "you're joking right?"
    11-09-18 04:42 PM
    I don't care about the GPU or RAM like most of the people, device NEEDS to do its job, specially then you call it a TOOL. But KEY2 is a real toy by measuring with the iPhone you all calling a toy. iPhone doesn't have highest GPU or RAM and nobody cares because it does the job right, KEY2 in other hand is a joke.

Only fool can say nobody wants BlackBerry or PKB. MAKE COMPETITIVE DEVICE FIRST.

How many Alcatel devices do you see stock in store shelves, none like BB? It's because it is a wacky product and does the same ****ty job like KEY2 or other android BB. Everyone will better put wacky but highly marketed Samsung product then Alcatel or BB, at least it solds.

For the God sake wake up! If you want to be interesting and sell, you have to make oneplus or Huawei hardware.
    TCL have advantage with PKB, PKB is uniqueness no one is offering beside them, but with this hardware, first emotion is "you're joking right?"
    No one could afford a high end BlackBerry. It would be 25% more expensive than current slab flagships.
    11-09-18 04:48 PM
    No one could afford a high end BlackBerry. It would be 25% more expensive than current slab flagships.
    If people pay top dollar for an iPhone just for logo, people definitely will pay top dollar to be unique between all slabs if only it does a great job or even better then iPhone Huawei Samsung oneplus in camera/video, stereo sound.. for social media they need this uniqueness like air now.

You won't care about the price if you get PKB who does the job like Huawei Mate 20 PRO, I guarantee it.
    Last edited by iHadLastBB; 11-09-18 at 05:21 PM.
    11-09-18 05:07 PM
    + people better pay top dollar for iPhone and don't want to pay a half price what BBM is offering with KEY2, it should be a loud call the hardware they are putting is ****! and no one is interested in wacky hardware product so they MUST change the strategy.
    11-09-18 05:19 PM
    Companies like TCL do this thing called "Market Research" to determine what features are most likely to sell to their target market and at what price. When only releasing 2 devices per year, they have to get it right, because it is very easy to lose hundreds of millions of dollars - which BBMo can't afford to do.

A K2 with a Pixel 2-quality camera would also need a higher end SoC as the GPU is actually a big part of the photo post-processing - the camera sensor itself is just one piece of the puzzle.

Add in the other features people here want and you quickly get to a $1200 phone. I have no doubt that a handful of people here would happily snap one up even at that price, but most wouldn't - and as a result, sales would be too low and BBMo would lose money and would show a declining sales trend, which is even worse for their business overall.

TCL would rather appeal to the mainstream segment profitably than to please a relative few flagship buyers unprofitably. That's just business. We could go into all the details as to why, but that's the bottom line.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-09-18 06:38 PM
    + people better pay top dollar for iPhone and don't want to pay a half price what BBM is offering with KEY2, it should be a loud call the hardware they are putting is ****! and no one is interested in wacky hardware product so they MUST change the strategy.
    Best they can do with a low volume niche device at $649.

At least they have the LE at $399/449.
    11-09-18 10:12 PM
145 123 ...