I have gotten a Key2 to work on Verizon successfully by using the Key2 LE SIM method. However it's acting strangely in two ways:

1) There is a 4G LTE advanced tower near my house which gets 80-100 Mbps speeds and I usually get 4-5 bars of signal. However, the Key2 sometimes connects to a more distant tower with only two bars. If I turn on airplane mode then immediately turn it off, it reconnects to the stronger signal.

2) Incoming MMS photos are compressed under 50 KB and basically unusable. Videos arrive as a thumbnail image and a separate audio file. I contacted Verizon tech support and they opened a ticket but had no idea how to fix it. I tried putting the SIM back in a Key2 LE and photos/videos arrived normally, but then as soon as I put it back in the Key2 the problem resumed.

Does anyone know how to fix either of these problems?
    01-17-22 09:51 AM
    I have gotten a Key2 to work on Verizon successfully by using the Key2 LE SIM method. However it's acting strangely in two ways:

1) There is a 4G LTE advanced tower near my house which gets 80-100 Mbps speeds and I usually get 4-5 bars of signal. However, the Key2 sometimes connects to a more distant tower with only two bars. If I turn on airplane mode then immediately turn it off, it reconnects to the stronger signal.

2) Incoming MMS photos are compressed under 50 KB and basically unusable. Videos arrive as a thumbnail image and a separate audio file. I contacted Verizon tech support and they opened a ticket but had no idea how to fix it. I tried putting the SIM back in a Key2 LE and photos/videos arrived normally, but then as soon as I put it back in the Key2 the problem resumed.

Use the Key2 LE
    01-17-22 09:56 AM

Both are common issues for non-carrier supported devices.... you'll need to contact a tier-2 support level person and have them reprovision the phone.
    01-17-22 12:01 PM
    Both are common issues for non-carrier supported devices.... you'll need to contact a tier-2 support level person and have them reprovision the phone.
    Thanks. What specifically should I ask? Any key words?
    01-18-22 05:12 AM
    Thanks. What specifically should I ask? Any key words?
    CDMA-less activation.... but you just tell them what's going on and they should known.
    01-18-22 07:19 AM
    CDMA-less activation.... but you just tell them what's going on and they should known.
    I did a live chat with them when I first set it up and then a second time. They both assured me it was provisioned.
    01-20-22 01:21 PM
    I did a live chat with them when I first set it up and then a second time. They both assured me it was provisioned.
    You're situation falls into that small percentage of Key2 users that device won't provision 100% on VZW after setup. The ultimate VZW response seems to be, "technically, it's not supported" so unless you find that occasional level 2 or 3 rep that knows manual settings well enough on provisioning menus
    01-20-22 01:41 PM
    Yeah live Chat is just basic CSR.... it going to take a call.
    01-20-22 01:53 PM
    Yeah live Chat is just basic CSR.... it going to take a call.
    So, vzw WILL attempt to provision a "technically unsupported" device? I had Sim from LE in Pocket for a while. Seemed good. Even wifi calling. Then started acting up. A message demanded I call them to complete the call... put Sim back in le and back to normal.

Perhaps an honest call to level 2 might get Pocket on vzw "honestly" ? Or just K2?

VZW signal is best at this jobsite. TMo B71 good too. Pocket on TMo almost unusable out here. Sure hope Pocket2 gets b71 !! LOL. VZW good too... LE not patched, tho.
    01-20-22 04:29 PM
    Incoming MMS photos are compressed under 50 KB and basically unusable. Videos arrive as a thumbnail image and a separate audio file.
    Oh man, it had not occurred to me that this was due to the Key2 being unsupported. I'm seeing this too, but I chalked it up to buggy Google Messages or something. Strangely, it's not all MMS photos that get compressed for me. It's when anyone sends me a screenshot. All other images come through fine.
    The MMS video problem I really couldn't care less about. I don't want anyone sending me videos anyway.
    I've already convinced them to rebuild my account from scratch once while I've had this phone, so I don't see myself pestering them more. I don't want to push my luck.
    irob20000 likes this.
    01-20-22 04:52 PM
    Does anyone have any reason to believe the Key2 will stop working on Verizon anytime soon? It works fine with VoLTE so I would assume it'll continue.
    02-25-22 12:45 AM
    Does anyone have any reason to believe the Key2 will stop working on Verizon anytime soon? It works fine with VoLTE so I would assume it'll continue.
    I don't forsee any immediate problems.
    irob20000 likes this.
    02-25-22 12:55 AM
    Wow I thought I was the only one with issues having received MMS photos come in that compressed!! I think you just figured it out for me. I did this exact same thing in late 2020 right around when Google carrier services had an outage, and always thought it was Verizon and not the move from Key2 LE to Key2!
    05-01-22 04:03 PM
    Oh man, it had not occurred to me that this was due to the Key2 being unsupported. I'm seeing this too, but I chalked it up to buggy Google Messages or something. Strangely, it's not all MMS photos that get compressed for me. It's when anyone sends me a screenshot. All other images come through fine.
    The MMS video problem I really couldn't care less about. I don't want anyone sending me videos anyway.
    I've already convinced them to rebuild my account from scratch once while I've had this phone, so I don't see myself pestering them more. I don't want to push my luck.
    Did you ever get the MMS issue fixed by having them re-provision it at all? I was scratching my head on this for the past year and a half as well thinking it was Google carrier services or some change on Verizon's end.
    05-01-22 04:05 PM
    Did you ever get the MMS issue fixed by having them re-provision it at all? I was scratching my head on this for the past year and a half as well thinking it was Google carrier services or some change on Verizon's end.
    I didn't even try. At this point it's a pretty old, unsupported device. They already rebuilt my account once.
    I went ahead and got a slab when OM threw in the towel. I obviously miss the PKB, but I have to admit it's nice to have a device running a modern Android.
    05-01-22 07:53 PM