Currently, I have a Key2 that I love and want to continue using. I am on AT&T, which I know is stopping support for Blackberry Key2 next year. Does anyone know if Verizon is doing the same thing? If I switch to Verizon, can I keep my Key2?

If this has already been asked and answered, please direct me to the thread. I did not see a clear definite answer. Thanks to anyone who can help.
    11-20-21 05:26 PM
    Currently, I have a Key2 that I love and want to continue using. I am on AT&T, which I know is stopping support for Blackberry Key2 next year. Does anyone know if Verizon is doing the same thing? If I switch to Verizon, can I keep my Key2?

If this has already been asked and answered, please direct me to the thread. I did not see a clear definite answer. Thanks to anyone who can help.
    TMO and Verizon likely won't block it, but reception will start to degrade quickly as 3G gets shut down.
    11-20-21 05:46 PM
    TMO and Verizon likely won't block it, but reception will start to degrade quickly as 3G gets shut down.
    I'm not sure 3G shutdown will impact the Verizon experience as the device is a non-CDMA device and so does not use Verizon's 3G service.
    11-20-21 09:42 PM
    How do you know it will for him/her specifically?
    11-20-21 09:52 PM
    How do you know it will for him/her specifically?
    Going with the odds.

I've been in very few locations in my travels where 4G doesn't occasionally drop to 3G.
    11-20-21 10:00 PM
    I'm not sure 3G shutdown will impact the Verizon experience as the device is a non-CDMA device and so does not use Verizon's 3G service.
    Yes, it wouldn't get any worse in the short term for those phones locked to VoLTE.
    11-20-21 10:01 PM
    Going with the odds.

I've been in very few locations in my travels where 4G doesn't occasionally drop to 3G.
    So based on the general advice here, everyone should immediately put their LTE phones for sale and run out and buy a 5G one or else they'll be left with a prematurely-turned-relic LTE phone that's good for the junkyard or as a Wi-Fi only device?
    11-20-21 10:15 PM
    So based on the general advice here, everyone should immediately put their LTE phones for sale and run out and buy a 5G one or else they'll be left with a prematurely-turned-relic LTE phone that's good for the junkyard or as a Wi-Fi only device?
    Seems a bit extreme since my statement suggested that reception will "decline as 3G is shut down".

But I do suspect that a 5G device will be necessary in a year from now to maintain reception everywhere, yes.
    11-20-21 10:17 PM
    Seems a bit extreme since my statement suggested that replace ception will decline as 3G is shut down".
    Continual if we're looking at the whole map since it wouldn't be every cell tower at the same exact moment.

But for each individual person, wouldn't it simply be a sudden change only once for them the moment that their nearby tower shuts 3G down
    11-20-21 10:19 PM
    But for each individual person, wouldn't it simply be a sudden change only once for them the moment that their nearby tower shuts 3G down
    People drive around and go places don't they?
    11-20-21 10:20 PM
    Continual if we're looking at the whole map since it wouldn't be every cell tower at the same exact moment.

What's likely to happen for a lot of people is that they will find that their Pandora or Spotify stops working at some point along their drive, where it used to work before, or they'll be at a customers', relative's, or friend's house and when they go to use their phone, they'll realize they have no signal. And then they'll find another dead zone, and then another, and then another. It may not come to their home or their primary workplace immediately, but they'll notice problems in more and more places.

Some will figure out what this means on their own, and others will call their carrier to complain (usually after ignoring their carrier's notices and offers to upgrade), and their carrier will have to explain what's happening, but most will end up moving to a new device. A few contrarians will stay on their old devices and just fume when they're in an area with no coverage, until they lose it somewhere that they NEED coverage, and then they'll finally give in.
    11-21-21 12:51 PM
    What's likely to happen for a lot of people is that they will find that their Pandora or Spotify stops working at some point along their drive, where it used to work before, or they'll be at a customers', relative's, or friend's house and when they go to use their phone, they'll realize they have no signal. And then they'll find another dead zone, and then another, and then another. It may not come to their home or their primary workplace immediately, but they'll notice problems in more and more places.

Some will figure out what this means on their own, and others will call their carrier to complain (usually after ignoring their carrier's notices and offers to upgrade), and their carrier will have to explain what's happening, but most will end up moving to a new device. A few contrarians will stay on their old devices and just fume when they're in an area with no coverage, until they lose it somewhere that they NEED coverage, and then they'll finally give in.
    Many PKB/BB(10) ultras were adamant in these forums that if they have to get rid of their PKB/BB(10) phone, they will go back to a dumbphone or a landline phone. Would be curious if they stay true to their promises in the next few years…
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-21-21 02:02 PM
    Many PKB/BB(10) ultras were adamant in these forums that if they have to get rid of their PKB/BB(10) phone, they will go back to a dumbphone or a landline phone. Would be curious if they stay true to their promises in the next few years…
    I can't see that happening (regardless of what some might have stated). Those who are/were still using BBOS/BB10 as holdouts due to PKB are/were presumably heavy into email and other textual based work (otherwise they'd probably not be so tied to PKB), and I can't see dumbphone or a landline being able to help out with such, unless dumbphone as a dual carry hotspot provider for still a Wi-Fi BB10 PKB.
    11-21-21 02:17 PM
    I can't see that happening (regardless of what some might have stated). Those who are/were still using BBOS/BB10 as holdouts due to PKB are/were presumably heavy into email and other textual based work (otherwise they'd probably not be so tied to PKB), and I can't see dumbphone or a landline being able to help out with such, unless dumbphone as a dual carry hotspot provider for still a Wi-Fi BB10 PKB.
    I assume those types who promised that were not or not only using these devices out of the utilitarian reasons you describe but out of contrarianism/hatred of iOS and Android, or non-Blackberry smartphone OEMs. I think these posters were using BB10 and not BB Android/TCL.
    11-21-21 02:24 PM

People are gonna be really angry unless carriers give a heavy discount for that 5G device. Especially if that carrier recently sold them the LTE one.
    11-21-21 02:59 PM
    I assume those types who promised that were not or not only using these devices out of the utilitarian reasons you describe but out of contrarianism/hatred of iOS and Android, or non-Blackberry smartphone OEMs. I think these posters were using BB10 and not BB Android/TCL.
    Perhaps.

However, moving from a Z10 or a Z30 to an Android slab is somewhat simple and not very painful, in my opinion, especially given where Android10, 11, 12 is now at for the way it handles notifications, gestures, etc... and especially if one also loads up Hub/Inbox on that Android slab. There is a mental block to have to get past in terms of google having access to everything and also fighting with the device a bit in terms of it periodically trying to keep doing google things that the user might not want. However, a BB10 to Android transition is rather natural in my opinion. I can't say the same for a transition to iOS. In fact, I seem to hate Apple devices more and more the longer I keep using my Android devices, as I keep moving forward from previously using a Playbook, Z10, Q10, various BBOS PKBs, and even at one point earlier an iPhone4, and with everyone around me using Apple devices.
    Last edited by spARTacus; 11-21-21 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
    11-21-21 03:05 PM
    People are gonna be really angry unless carriers give a heavy discount for that 5G device. Especially if that carrier recently sold them the LTE one.
    Yup, especially if their current device is not very old.
    11-21-21 03:06 PM
    Yup, especially if their current device is not very old.
    Yeah especially in the case of LTE only devices that are still being sold at Best Buys, carrier stores etc
    11-21-21 03:59 PM
    I could only find a couple of LTE non5G devices for sale.

Yeah especially in the case of LTE only devices that are still being sold at Best Buys, carrier stores etc
    Same here as well but customers will be more unhappy about being forced to upgrade to 5G plan over less expensive LTE plans. It's basically what happened when customers were forced to LTE plans from 3G plans. That'll happen regardless of device.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-21 06:10 PM
    I could only find a couple of LTE non5G devices for sale.

Same here as well but customers will be more unhappy about being forced to upgrade to 5G plan over less expensive LTE plans. It's basically what happened when customers were forced to LTE plans from 3G plans. That'll happen regardless of device.

Posted via CB10
    Why would 5G plans such as T-Mobile Magenta for example, cost more with 5G?

So people are essentially gonna be forced to upgrade AND pay more for the same service and they'll just shrug and throw their money at the carrier regardless? Lol
    11-21-21 08:00 PM
    AT&T did not increase our fees for 5G when my wife and I got new phones earlier this year. She got the iPhone 12 Mini and I got the S20 FE 5G. But we didn't change our plans. Just ordered the phones as upgrades.

In fact, we weren't even getting 5G on our phones at first and it was available in our area. Just the fake version known as "5G-E". But after about 2 months, we both started seeing regular 5G on our phones.
    11-21-21 08:54 PM
    No remotely current plan is charging extra for 5G. It's possible that some people on an ancient grandfathered plan may face that, but I can't see any reason to stay on one of those. For the last 3 years, I've been on T-Mo on an unlimited plan with 4 devices for under $200/month, which includes a Netflix subscription and 1st-tier post-paid service levels. Most carriers are offering unlimited plans at competitive rates these days - there's no reason to be on a 10-year-old plan.
    11-22-21 01:56 AM

Not sure there is a definitive answer.... Most have been able to get a KEY2 to "work" on Verizon, but not sure it's officially supported.

But been no word of anyone being kicked off, so don't "think" that's going to be an issue.
    11-22-21 08:15 AM
    Why would 5G plans such as T-Mobile Magenta for example, cost more with 5G?

So people are essentially gonna be forced to upgrade AND pay more for the same service and they'll just shrug and throw their money at the carrier regardless? Lol
    I'm saying there are many users such as myself that don't have 5G plans since I didn't have any 5G capable phones. My current AT&T 4G/LTE multi-line plan is per-line cheaper than a comparable 5G current plan.

Older T-Mobile and VZW 4G/LTE plans are still used by many as well. At some point, it won't be an issue but there's still a price difference.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 11-22-21 at 08:46 AM.
    11-22-21 08:35 AM