Hello all,

A little about me: I don't use a cell phone as an entertainment device. I use it for phone calls, texts, emails, and a very limited number of apps. The app I use most often is the SiriusXM app while driving in a company vehicle every day. I don't play games on phones, and I don't watch videos, movies, or TV shows on phones.

I used to be a Blackberry user until AT&T discontinued service for the model I was using several years ago. I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S5 for the past several years, and I still can't type on the stupid touch screen. The Blackberry Key2 has my attention, and I think I'm ready to buy one.

I generally understand the differences between the Key2 and the Key2 LE, but I'm a little confused beyond that.

I am seeing what appears to be good deals on the Key2 from a couple of different sources. The prices are in the range of what everybody is asking for the Key2 LE. However, the phone I am seeing is an international version of the phone, model BBF100-6.

What are the drawbacks to buying the international version of the phone, if any? I would be using the phone only in the US.

I've been toying with the idea of moving my service from AT&T to T-Mobile, so I need for any device I buy to work well with either. I've been reading some stuff about the bands the various carriers use, and that the international versions of the phones may lack some of the bands. Would this be an issue for me?

And finally, does anybody have any experience (good or bad) with gotalkusa.com? They come up as a source for phones on the Blackberry Mobile website.

Thanks in advance!
    stephenabm likes this.
    05-19-19 07:59 AM
    Hello all,

A little about me: I don't use a cell phone as an entertainment device. I use it for phone calls, texts, emails, and a very limited number of apps. The app I use most often is the SiriusXM app while driving in a company vehicle every day. I don't play games on phones, and I don't watch videos, movies, or TV shows on phones.

I used to be a Blackberry user until AT&T discontinued service for the model I was using several years ago. I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S5 for the past several years, and I still can't type on the stupid touch screen. The Blackberry Key2 has my attention, and I think I'm ready to buy one.

I generally understand the differences between the Key2 and the Key2 LE, but I'm a little confused beyond that.

I am seeing what appears to be good deals on the Key2 from a couple of different sources. The prices are in the range of what everybody is asking for the Key2 LE. However, the phone I am seeing is an international version of the phone, model BBF100-6.

What are the drawbacks to buying the international version of the phone, if any? I would be using the phone only in the US.

I've been toying with the idea of moving my service from AT&T to T-Mobile, so I need for any device I buy to work well with either. I've been reading some stuff about the bands the various carriers use, and that the international versions of the phones may lack some of the bands. Would this be an issue for me?

And finally, does anybody have any experience (good or bad) with gotalkusa.com? They come up as a source for phones on the Blackberry Mobile website.

Thanks in advance!
    Int'l model of KEY² is missing NA bands 14, 29, 30, 66.
    05-19-19 08:16 AM
    not only that unfortunately you will be without updates and wifi calls if you land the unfortunate Indian Verizon like I did on eBay
    stephenabm likes this.
    05-19-19 08:28 AM
    Thanks for that info. It appears that there COULD be some issues on both AT&T and T-Mobile, so it is probably best that I avoid the international version...

Since the US version of the Key2 doesn't appear to be available in the $400 range, that probably pushes me to the Key2 LE. I'll start focusing my search in that direction.
    Last edited by etex211; 05-19-19 at 08:32 AM. Reason: typo
    05-19-19 08:31 AM
    not only that unfortunately you will be without updates and wifi calls if you land the unfortunate Indian Verizon like I did on eBay
    That happened to me. Even though the description of the Key²LE on Amazon had the PRD# and color description of the phone what I received was the India version which was a different color and different PRD#. I was mad and posted a rather scathing review. I called the vendor and they blamed the incorrect description on Amazon, and they couldn't even get the one described. I have returned it and have received my refund. Interestingly the vendors description of the phone on EBay is the same as the one on Amazon. So I doubt it is Amazon's fault.
    My advice is to call the vendor selling the phone and verify that the phone they are selling is in fact the phone described.
    05-19-19 09:49 AM
    I have an Int'l Dual SIM 128 GB Key2 (BBF100-6) on T-Mobile. the first version I received had a screen issue that BlackBerry support asked I send in and it was repaired under warranty and sent back to me in pristine working condition. I've had absolutely no issues with connectivity and compatibility whatsoever. This was not the case with the Indian version of the keyone, which had incompatible settings in the firmware. I needed two lines in my phone and must say it works phenomenal, along with dual-app compatibility for apps that have this feature. The only issue I am currently dealing with is one that seems to be widespread with some Key2 phones and it's the voice activation of Google Asst through Android Auto. BlackBerry has already escalated the issue and engineers are currently working on a fix that should be released very soon. No biggie as it still works fine using the screen button or steering wheel. Other than that, I have a perfectly working Int'l Key2 on T-Mobile in Miami, FL.
    Rico4you likes this.
    05-19-19 10:20 PM
    I sent 3 international BBF100-6 Dual Sim Key 2 Red Editions purchased from EU Store BlackBerryMobile Store to USA and Canada and all devices working perfectly in corresponding cities.

Sent from my STV100-4 using CB Forums mobile app
    JOHNGAETANO and the_boon like this.
    05-20-19 03:20 AM
    What about advanced features like wifi-calling?, etc.
    stephenabm likes this.
    05-20-19 07:53 AM
    good question!
    stephenabm likes this.
    05-27-19 11:38 PM
    I sent 3 international BBF100-6 Dual Sim Key 2 Red Editions purchased from EU Store BlackBerryMobile Store to USA and Canada and all devices working perfectly in corresponding cities.

Sent from my STV100-4 using CB Forums mobile app
    Depends how one defines "perfect".

Without bands 29, 30, and 66, you get a degraded (but working) experience on Telus, Bell, and AT&T.
    stephenabm likes this.
    05-27-19 11:42 PM
    Depends how one defines "perfect".

Without bands 29, 30, and 66, you get a degraded (but working) experience on Telus, Bell, and AT&T.
    Pefect in these cases...meaning working with ZERO issues. So yes perfect. No "degraded" effect.
    05-28-19 12:21 AM
    So yes perfect. No "degraded" effect.
    Physics is physics.

"Other carriers, such as Bell and Telus (and AT&T), use small amounts of other frequencies, such as Band 29, just for downloads, so Canadians can get their video with no buffering."
    05-28-19 04:32 AM
    Pefect in these cases...meaning working with ZERO issues. So yes perfect. No "degraded" effect.
    There's no way you get perfect with AT&T with enhanced calling features let alone the missing bands. I have issues with certain USA certified devices and missing bands. The main problem is LTE service compromised pushed to back to HSPA or worse. Alternately, dropped phone calls also issue with same devices in other locations around my area. The Florida terrain is flat so missing bands are just that.
    05-28-19 07:51 AM
    There's no way you get perfect with AT&T with enhanced calling features let alone the missing bands. I have issues with certain USA certified devices and missing bands. The main problem is LTE service compromised pushed to back to HSPA or worse. Alternately, dropped phone calls also issue with same devices in other locations around my area. The Florida terrain is flat so missing bands are just that.
    Ok. I guess my friends said otherwise...just stating what told... or also when I was in NYC using my KEY2 Red International working perfectly was just my luck... Oh well as you say no way...Use at your own risk.
    05-28-19 06:37 PM
    Ok. I guess my friends said otherwise...just stating what told... or also when I was in NYC using my KEY2 Red International working perfectly was just my luck... Oh well as you say no way...Use at your own risk.
    I'm not saying you can't have some coverage, it's just limited. If you're using an international SIM, the carriers may have reciprocal agreements with your domestic carrier to not block features.

I'm also only speaking to AT&T specific policies regarding carrier locked and factory unlocked devices. I have all types of devices that I navigate the myriad policies with but just on AT&T postpaid as primary carrier. Someone else here would have to speak regarding other carrier specific performance.
    05-28-19 06:45 PM
    international dual sim (non indian) works well in nyc on tmobile and att. ull get volte on tmobile out of the box. wifi calling takes so modfication and flashing but works ok for me after the effort thus far. att has no ims connectivity so no volte or wfc at all.
    Rico4you likes this.
    05-28-19 10:00 PM
    coming from an indian dual sim keyone. tmobile coverage for both has sucked where I work in brooklyn. key2 is slightly better than key1. this might be due to the missing band 66 but hard to know for cure
    05-28-19 10:01 PM
    I have the Key2 International version made in India and have issues with it calling 911 all by itself. It is really annoying and looks like this function cannot be removed. The space bar is now acting up and have to press it several times to space between words. Besides the above issues, it has worked okay.
    11-27-20 05:26 AM
    I have the Key2 International version made in India and have issues with it calling 911 all by itself. It is really annoying and looks like this function cannot be removed. The space bar is now acting up and have to press it several times to space between words. Besides the above issues, it has worked okay.
    Unfortunately there is no getting around the triple pressing the power button calls 112 (which gets rerouted to 911).

That plus the infamous spacebar issue, I mean if you really like it you could get a spare keyboard from eBay (https://www. ebay.com/itm/Keyboard-Keypad-Button-With-Flex-Cable-For-BlackBerry-Key2-KeyTwo-/324229997932?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292) or sell it as for parts and use that money towards another KEY2.

Even if you need a dual sim one, the Indian one is not the only dual sim BBF100-6 out there.

Unlike the KEYone where aside from the rare bronze model, the only way to have dual sim is to deal with the Indian one with that triple press calls emergency "feature".
    stephenabm likes this.
    11-27-20 07:13 AM
    Thank you for some options with these concerns. It is appreciated.
    11-27-20 03:45 PM