I think (as a consumer) that the whole smartphone market needs more variety in general.
    Absolutely! Unfortunately, for now, we have to hope the “big 2” do it until someone else breaks into the market which probably won’t happen for quite a while.
    07-15-19 07:39 PM
    Ahhhhhh no, my point was Apple supports their phone for many years. While an I phone would cost lets say a grand. It could go 8 years or more. The cost of the Android phone with the same specs would be close to the same price. Yet the Android is dropped in two system (OS) upgrades. So your point is mute, if you bought the I phone 3 that ran everything Apple had in there APP store you would have saved over two grand.
    07-15-19 07:53 PM
    Ahhhhhh no, my point was Apple supports their phone for many years. While an I phone would cost lets say a grand. It could go 8 years or more. The cost of the Android phone with the same specs would be close to the same price. Yet the Android is dropped in two system (OS) upgrades. So your point is mute, if you bought the I phone 3 that ran everything Apple had in there APP store you would have saved over two grand.
    Lol iPhone 3...

First of all, who says a brand new latest iPhone of today will last 8 years.

The iPhone that was put out 8 years ago was the 4, and I wouldn't exactly call it a usable phone today, especially in battery life which was an absolute joke even at launch
    Vistaus likes this.
    07-15-19 09:50 PM
    Lol iPhone 3...

First of all, who says a brand new latest iPhone of today will last 8 years.

The iPhone that was put out 8 years ago was the 4, and I wouldn't exactly call it a usable phone today, especially in battery life which was an absolute joke even at launch
    Anything prior to the iPhone 6 is pretty useless today. So that's 5 years.

You actually need an iPhone 6s to run iOS 13. So that's 4 years.

Pixel's 3 years comes pretty close.
    Vistaus likes this.
    07-15-19 10:37 PM
    That escalated quickly.

KEYᵒⁿᵉ was updated to Oreo last Aug. Let's see what happens with the KEY².

In the meantime, enjoy your security patches. BBMo has consistently (over 90% of all device variants) delivered patches within 60 days.
    No, not BlackBerry India. I keep poking the BlackBerry help and BlackBerry mobile Twitter handle each month, and all they do is ask for my imei number and direct me to BlackBerry India that is run by optiemus , and I am pretty sure those guys are a bunch of frauds/ cheats.... They even replied to a friend of mine ( which was surprising) in May I think saying that the December patch is the latest.
    07-16-19 07:30 AM
    No, not BlackBerry India. I keep poking the BlackBerry help and BlackBerry mobile Twitter handle each month, and all they do is ask for my imei number and direct me to BlackBerry India that is run by optiemus , and I am pretty sure those guys are a bunch of frauds/ cheats.... They even replied to a friend of mine ( which was surprising) in May I think saying that the December patch is the latest.
    I said BBMo - not Optiemus.
    nkitt and Vistaus like this.
    07-16-19 07:31 AM
    I said BBMo - not Optiemus.
    Yes, I understand that now, but the thing is I purchased a BlackBerry key2 because I blindly believe in / love BlackBerry, I didn't purchase optiemus key2. They should've mentioned it clearly when they were talking about monthly updates and getting the next OS version.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-16-19 07:36 AM
    I purchased a BlackBerry key2 because I blindly believe in / love BlackBerry,

KEY2 update to Android Pie?-unrequited-love.001.jpeg

Hope this helps....
    07-16-19 07:46 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unrequited-love.001.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	345.4 KB 
ID:	445261

Hope this helps....
    Exactly: D .....
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Vistaus like this.
    07-16-19 07:49 AM
    Anything prior to the iPhone 6 is pretty useless today. So that's 5 years.

You actually need an iPhone 6s to run iOS 13. So that's 4 years.

Pixel's 3 years comes pretty close.
    My daughter has an iPhone SE, which was released in March 2016. So, it's over 3 years old and is running the latest iOS 12.3.1. She replaced the battery under the Apple deal for $30.

The iPhone SE will be upgraded to iOS 13 this fall according to Apple, which will give the SE a shelf life for 4 to 6 years for sure. It is unknown if it will be upgraded to iOS 14.... but you never know.

We still have an iPad that stopped updating at iOS 10, but it still works flawlessly, except some apps no longer are compatible.

I think it's safe to say that you pay MORE for an iOS device, but you can definitely get more life out of it if you take care of it.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-16-19 07:59 AM
    My daughter has an iPhone SE, which was released in March 2016. So, it's over 3 years old and is running the latest iOS 12.3.1. She replaced the battery under the Apple deal for $30.

The iPhone SE will be upgraded to iOS 13
    This doesn't conflict with my post.

Apple gets 4 years of updates versus Google, Samsung, and others at 3 years.
    Vistaus likes this.
    07-16-19 08:12 AM
    This doesn't conflict with my post.

Apple gets 4 years of updates versus Google, Samsung, and others at 3 years.
    Yeah, just agreeing with you!
    conite likes this.
    07-16-19 08:18 AM
    Yes, but that wouldn't have happenned if the owner wasn't otherwise a multi-billionaire with his own personal reputation at stake.
    So a multi-billion dollar company doesn't have to pay attention to its reputation? Interesting argument.
    anon(10218918) and elfabio80 like this.
    07-16-19 08:32 AM
    So a multi-billion dollar company doesn't have to pay attention to its reputation? Interesting argument.
    His company was HIM. And yes, that makes a difference if he wants to further his career.

Otherwise the company would simply have folded.
    Vistaus likes this.
    07-16-19 08:41 AM
    This means that a company like TCL would not be interested in its successful future because it does not have a personal owner.

A very special pov
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    07-16-19 08:50 AM
    This means that a company like TCL would not be interested in its successful future because it does not have a personal owner.

A very special pov
    Not at all. We are talking about a business that would have otherwise folded.

However, a company that may wish to keep you around as a future customer has a different rubric.
    Last edited by conite; 07-16-19 at 09:18 AM.
    07-16-19 08:53 AM
    Another interesting pov.

I must have obviously missed a series of lectures at the university and not read a lot of alternative economic theories.

I'm afraid I've been misadvising my clients all my professional life.

Thank you for the good advice.

I need to go to church right now to confess my sins. Will I be forgiven?
    07-16-19 09:06 AM
    Not at all. We are talking about a business that would have otherwise folded.
    That's what some here just can't warp their heads around...

Bottom line is companies have to make money, BlackBerry couldn't do it anymore and they found a few "others" willing to give it a try. Without them, Chen would have ended BlackBerry smartphones with the DTEK60.
    Vistaus likes this.
    07-16-19 09:10 AM
    Another interesting pov.

I must have obviously missed a series of lectures at the university and not read a lot of alternative economic theories.

I'm afraid I've been misadvising my clients all my professional life.

Thank you for the good advice.

I need to go to church right now to confess my sins. Will I be forgiven?
    A company, first and foremost, has a fiduciary duty to its shareholders (owners). If the company has no contractual obligations to uphold, and only faces losses by staying in business, then the board would be reneging on its responsibilities by continuing to operate, and would probably be hauled in front of the SEC and charged with a crime.

Essential is different because the board and shareholder is the same person.
    07-16-19 09:23 AM
    And all the other OEM's give 5 star impeccable service/support to all their customers for all their products, right?
    I'm not sure that's the point being raised here. I have owned Motorola, Nokia, Blackberry, Samsung and IPhone's. Customer service was always hit and miss, that being said, there is quite a difference in quality of service between them. What I have never experienced is "The Sound of Silence" to the extent when a whole enthusiast community is crying out for any communication and all we get is !!! Facts are still facts and in the absence of any meaningful dialogue we all turn to rumour, conjecture and innuendo! Just human nature. The fact of no meaningful communication, lack of a device in 2019, no guarantee of OS upgrade and with stock almost depleted in NA and else where with no bridge product evident, the known observations do not bode well to instill any confidence and investment in the Brand.
    RK_BB and elfabio80 like this.
    07-16-19 10:57 AM
    I'm not sure that's the point being raised here. I have owned Motorola, Nokia, Blackberry, Samsung and IPhone's. Customer service was always hit and miss, that being said, there is quite a difference in quality of service between them. What I have never experienced is "The Sound of Silence" to the extent when a whole enthusiast community is crying out for any communication and all we get is !!! Facts are still facts and in the absence of any meaningful dialogue we all turn to rumour, conjecture and innuendo! Just human nature. The fact of no meaningful communication, lack of a device in 2019, no guarantee of OS upgrade and with stock almost depleted in NA and else where with no bridge product evident, the known observations do not bode well to instill any confidence and investment in the Brand.
    Thing is TCL is a company that never has been much on communications with it's customer base... they have always been more of a sell it and forget it type company. What they did with BBMo and updates was kinda new to them. Would have been great if they had been able to function like most of us in the west are use to. But this has always been an experiment for them... one that they have had to make adjustments too as they went along.

Have to hope the silence right now is just some more adjustments being made...
    07-16-19 11:19 AM
    Dismount! The horse is dead!
    07-16-19 11:20 AM
    Dismount! The horse is dead!
    No it's not! It's merely sleeping! KEY2 update to Android Pie?-source.jpg
    07-16-19 11:24 AM
    A company, first and foremost, has a fiduciary duty to its shareholders (owners). If the company has no contractual obligations to uphold, and only faces losses by staying in business, then the board would be reneging on its responsibilities by continuing to operate, and would probably be hauled in front of the SEC and charged with a crime.

Essential is different because the board and shareholder is the same person.
    If the company is public in the first place. Not all companies are public, so not all companies have to deal with shareholders. But yeah, in Essential's case, there was a shareholder.
    07-16-19 12:05 PM
    Thing is TCL is a company that never has been much on communications with it's customer base... they have always been more of a sell it and forget it type company. What they did with BBMo and updates was kinda new to them. Would have been great if they had been able to function like most of us in the west are use to. But this has always been an experiment for them... one that they have had to make adjustments too as they went along.

Have to hope the silence right now is just some more adjustments being made...
    Thing is, BB is a Canadian company working on the software for the KEY2, so they could release any information regarding Pie that they want to.
    07-16-19 12:06 PM
96 1234