Part 5 of 5 in the Key2 teardown.

Key2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-48.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-49.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-50.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-54.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-51.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-52.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-53.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-55.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-56.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-57.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-58.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-59.jpg
    08-11-18 04:52 PM
    Just awesome awesome work! I cannot thank you enough! This is exactly what I have been looking for since getting my Key2
    08-11-18 08:21 PM
    Does the spacebar still make the really high-pitched click even when it's removed from the rest of the keyboard? Haha
    08-11-18 09:27 PM
    Just awesome awesome work! I cannot thank you enough! This is exactly what I have been looking for since getting my Key2
    It was a fun first cell phone tear down and happy to do it. I'll keep the parts around in case there are questions.

Thinking back too, I should have taken the back cover off first, and worked from the back to the front. I think you might be able to get the keyboard off with the fret board still intact by doing it this way.
    MrSergiy likes this.
    08-11-18 11:20 PM
    Does the spacebar still make the really high-pitched click even when it's removed from the rest of the keyboard? Haha

Good question. Yes!
    08-11-18 11:20 PM
    So what phone are you using now?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-18 11:33 PM
    So what phone are you using now?

Posted via CB10
    Luckily I had a backup with me yesterday when this all happened, so I'm on the iPhone X until I get back home to the new Key 2 silver that was delivered to my place yesterday. Amazon US is fast! Less than 24 hours from reporting the issue to receiving the new phone, delivered.
    08-11-18 11:38 PM
    Are you going to put it back together again? ;-)

Posted via my Awesome passport
    08-12-18 01:41 AM
    Are you going to put it back together again? ;-)

Posted via my Awesome passport
    Key2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-nrib.gif
    chetmanley and DWonder like this.
    08-12-18 02:07 AM
    Part 5 of 5 in the Key2 teardown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	438991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	438992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	438993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	438998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	438994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	438995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	438996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	438997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	438999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	439000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	439001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	439002
    Will you please check how many domes are there under the spacebar?
    08-12-18 02:11 AM
    Hey mralgi,

thanx for your work an time. Great pictures !
    08-12-18 02:21 AM
    Will you please check how many domes are there under the spacebar?
    Sure. There's one dome directly in the center of the spacebar. This is the dome that the center plastic pole inside the spacebar registers with. I'm guessing the hard plastic pole has something to do with the different click vs. the other keys, as the other keys don't have poles under them, but more like mini soft rubber stumps.

Also, the spacebar is stuck to the board that the rest of the keys register with, where the rest of the domes are located, and it is not a part of the main key pad.

Here are some more pics.

Key2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-img_0538.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-img_0540.jpgKey2 Teardown - In Pictures (Part 5 of 5)-img_0543.jpg
    conbrio29, herr_tan, Qorax and 2 others like this.
    08-12-18 02:45 AM
    Hey mralgi,

thanx for your work an time. Great pictures !
    You bet!
    08-12-18 02:45 AM
    An absolute gentleman and a legend !
    Thanks for doing this.
    Feeds my demons really good lol.

The purchase point for me was after Zach (JerryRigs) did his durability test. Now I am at peace.

Here's the wetransfer link for all of them for those of you wanting a copy.

https://we.tl/qUudmT33R6

Best,
    Alex
    08-12-18 04:27 AM
    An absolute gentleman and a legend !
    Thanks for doing this.
    Feeds my demons really good lol.

The purchase point for me was after Zach (JerryRigs) did his durability test. Now I am at peace.

Here's the wetransfer link for all of them for those of you wanting a copy.

https://we.tl/qUudmT33R6

Best,
    Alex
    Sure thing. Thanks for uploading that photo file for download.
    08-12-18 04:46 AM
    Sure. There's one dome directly in the center of the spacebar. This is the dome that the center plastic pole inside the spacebar registers with. I'm guessing the hard plastic pole has something to do with the different click vs. the other keys, as the other keys don't have poles under them, but more like mini soft rubber stumps.

Also, the spacebar is stuck to the board that the rest of the keys register with, where the rest of the domes are located, and it is not a part of the main key pad.

Here are some more pics.

Name:	IMG_0538.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	439007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	439008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0543.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	439009
    Thanks, really a nice job , I wonder what kind of setup they used in Keyone spacebar. I think that single pole is making it little wobbly, looks pretty sturdy though. If you swipe your thumb softly left-right on the spacebar you can actually feel that there is only one dome at the center of the spacebar.
    mralgi likes this.
    08-12-18 06:10 AM
    So judging by this takedown, there's no weak points anywhere in this keyboard design?
    08-12-18 07:04 AM
    So judging by this takedown, there's no weak points anywhere in this keyboard design?
    I find it to be very well-made. It's much more difficult to pry the keys off of this keyboard than it was on a few previous BlackBerry models - yes, I've tried. The keyboard also appears to be water resistant, minus the spacebar. That would probably be a weak point with water. At the same time, we know what I did with one of my Key2s last week when I left it in a water filled compartment wrapped in a t-shirt for about 45-60 min. by mistake and it's still working perfectly. I could see the Key2 keyboard being able to take one hell of a pounding for a long period of time, but time will tell if the capacitive touch can keep up with the structural integrity.
    08-12-18 07:17 AM
    I find it to be very well-made. It's much more difficult to pry the keys off of this keyboard than it was on a few previous BlackBerry models - yes, I've tried. The keyboard also appears to be water resistant, minus the spacebar. That would probably be a weak point with water. At the same time, we know what I did with one of my Key2s last week when I left it in a water filled compartment wrapped in a t-shirt for about 45-60 min. by mistake and it's still working perfectly. I could see the Key2 keyboard being able to take one hell of a pounding for a long period of time, but time will tell if the capacitive touch can keep up with the structural integrity.
    Hmm... very insteresting if they could pull off an IP rated PKB for KEY3 with whatever design idea they used for KEY2.

I thought the only way was to copy the Priv's unibody design, as in, one single piece of rubber.

/blackberry-keyone-f445/why-pkb-can-have-ip-rating-1142880/
    08-12-18 08:35 AM

Here are some more pics.

Name:	IMG_0543.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	439009
    This one picture answers exactly why the spacebar is so bad on so many devices.

It looks like over time, the center pole starts to leave a deeper indent into the rubber button below. As this happens, the spacebar developes more and more play.

I've had my key2 for a month now, and the spacebar is getting worse. There is now vertical play in the button, meaning that when I press it, first there is tiny bit of vertical travel before it solidly contacts the rubber surface below, then it clicks like normal.

On this device, it looks like the pole is off center with respect to the rubber button, potentially introducing additional play.

How was the spacebar on this particular device before tearing it down?

One way to fix a faulty spacebar might be to build up the rubber button area below with a dab of silicone or something to remove any wiggle room.

To get the spacebar detached from the board underneith like in this photo, did you have to snap it off from the L/R guides on the edges, or is there a way to remove it without destroying it?
    08-12-18 08:44 AM
    great job
    08-12-18 09:03 AM
    This one picture answers exactly why the spacebar is so bad on so many devices.

It looks like over time, the center pole starts to leave a deeper indent into the rubber button below. As this happens, the spacebar developes more and more play.

I've had my key2 for a month now, and the spacebar is getting worse. There is now vertical play in the button, meaning that when I press it, first there is tiny bit of vertical travel before it solidly contacts the rubber surface below, then it clicks like normal.

On this device, it looks like the pole is off center with respect to the rubber button, potentially introducing additional play.

How was the spacebar on this particular device before tearing it down?

One way to fix a faulty spacebar might be to build up the rubber button area below with a dab of silicone or something to remove any wiggle room.

To get the spacebar detached from the board underneith like in this photo, did you have to snap it off from the L/R guides on the edges, or is there a way to remove it without destroying it?
    I thought the spacebar on this phone was totally fine when I was using it for 4 days prior-brick. The spacebar wasn't equivalent to the other keys on the keyboard, but this is just a phone and I personally do not expect perfection. Loved it and can't wait to get back to Texas to get the new Key2 that's waiting for me, so I can ditch my backup phone (iPhone X).

Regarding the spacebar, pretty sure I just slowly - or not so slowly - peeled it off from the board quite easily.

A nice and wide rubber stump vs. a long skinny plastic pole might have been the feeling we were looking for with this Key2 spacebar undercarriage, so it could mesh better with the rest of the keys. But I am certainly not remotely close to an engineer of mobile devices.
    08-12-18 09:46 AM
    I thought the spacebar on this phone was totally fine when I was using it for 4 days prior-brick. The spacebar wasn't equivalent to the other keys on the keyboard, but this is just a phone and I personally do not expect perfection. Loved it and can't wait to get back to Texas to get the new Key2 that's waiting for me, so I can ditch my backup phone (iPhone X).

Regarding the spacebar, pretty sure I just slowly - or not so slowly - peeled it off from the board quite easily.

A nice and wide rubber stump vs. a long skinny plastic pole might have been the feeling we were looking for with this Key2 spacebar undercarriage, so it could mesh better with the rest of the keys. But I am certainly not remotely close to an engineer of mobile devices.
    Based on your takedown and closer look at the mechanism, do you think the spacebar is futureproof enough to not have to worry about ? I'm talking after 100k words etc..
    08-12-18 09:57 AM
    Nice teardown. Would you mind looking at the speaker grill where the speaker is and letting me know if there is an air pass through or is it blocked off? I understand with the Keytwo this may be sealed off which when this grill is covered the sound is muffled versus the keyone where the sound travels through and actually can be heard through the other grill. Thanks!
    08-12-18 08:46 PM
    Based on your takedown and closer look at the mechanism, do you think the spacebar is futureproof enough to not have to worry about ? I'm talking after 100k words etc..
    I'd say if there was a weak point on the keyboard the spacebar would be it. I wouldn't worry about it though. It'll be interesting to see how the dome holds up down the line with the plastic pole constantly poking at it.
    08-12-18 10:39 PM
26 12