And its still working, even with Oreo? That's not what others are reporting.

Seems to me its more likely your KeyONE and Motion just slipped through the cracks somehow (as it did for others) and it had nothing to do with being 'certified' with T-Mo or not.

With Oreo, WIFI calling is apparently broken on all BBMo/TCL BlackBerry models that had it working previously, at least for now. For the Key2 specifically, 'Scott' from BlackBerry seems to be implicating lack of certification by TCL as the explanation...but that is anything but clear at this point, particularly given the previous functionality of your KeyONE and Motion, neither of which were either sold or officially supported by T-Mo.
    Yes, Oreo. If you read the Key1 and Motion forums, WFC works on both these phones, although the notification has changed. I think TCL just pooched it by accident on Key2. When I got my Z10 -- way back when -- only the Z10 and Q10 would get WFC on T-mo. Locked or unlocked. (NA versions). But then, suddenly, all BB10 phones got it. Now, it's unusual not to get WFC with an unlocked phone on T-Mo.
    09-02-18 07:47 AM
    If you read the Key1 and Motion forums, WFC works on both these phones, although the notification has changed. I think TCL just pooched it by accident on Key2. When I got my Z10 -- way back when -- only the Z10 and Q10 would get WFC on T-mo. Locked or unlocked. (NA versions). But then, suddenly, all BB10 phones got it. It's unusual not to get WFC with an unlocked phone on T-Mo.
    That's right...but 'working' until Oreo. Now people are trying to hack it with workarounds. And if you read the Key2 forums, WIFI calling isn't presently working on any Key2 with the most recent update(s).

The common thread here being Oreo, and WIFI calling not working.

So 'pooched it' is right, LOL. Which obviously could be just as much a BlackBerry issue as a TCL issue. But they are supposedly "aware of the problem and working on a solution"...
    09-02-18 07:52 AM
    That's right...but 'working' until Oreo. Now people are trying to hack it with workarounds. And if you read the Key2 forums, WIFI calling isn't presently working on any Key2 with the most recent update(s).

So 'pooched it' is right, LOL. Which obviously could be just as much a BlackBerry issue as a TCL issue. But they are supposedly "aware of the problem and working on a solution"...
    So it’s not BBMo/TCL not paying for certification??
    09-02-18 07:58 AM
    So it’s not BBMo/TCL not paying for certification??
    In that case, I see no evidence to support certification or lack thereof having anything to do with it. Seems to me like BlackBerry just 'slipped through' on T-Mo, as do (according to the member) many unlocked phones...

So it could be a carrier policy, a certification issue, or neither. Lol.
    09-02-18 08:04 AM
    I will probably return my key2. great phone, terrible camera, but wifi calling is a dealbreaker
    Why is wifi calling an issue, I have it available on my server but it is turned off.
    Just curious
    09-02-18 08:07 AM
    Why is wifi calling an issue, I have it available on my server but it is turned off.
    Just curious
    If you spend time places where there is no mobile signal then Wi-Fi calling is your only option for making & receiving calls on your mobile. For example, I used to 'work from home' at my very rural ex-partner's house, I was only able to do this because of Wi-Fi calling as there was no mobile signal within a 2 mile distance of her property.
    09-02-18 08:18 AM
    Oreo update broke my wifi calling on my Motion and TMobile and Blackberry are blaming each other and neither will pay me for breaking the mission critical aspect of my phone. I have no reason to stay with either T Mobile or BB without this feature.

UPDATE: Crackberry users helped me solve the problem with a third party shortcut creator! Thanks!
    Last edited by DanceHike; 09-06-18 at 07:25 AM. Reason: New Info
    09-02-18 08:34 AM
    OK, I can see the disadvantage in those cases.
    Cell coverage in my rural area is pretty good. in fact I can see the closest tower lights flashing at night from my computer room.
    The one time I lost cell signal a few weeks ago was while camping in the boonies and there was no wifi there either.
    I'm still on the fence with the Key2.
    09-02-18 08:35 AM

Here's the simple version...

Motion + Oreo + T-Mo = wifi-calling does work.

KeyOne + Oreo + T-Mo = wifi-calling does work.

Key2 + Oreo + T-Mo = wifi-calling does NOT work.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-02-18 08:51 AM

This is how I understand it from all of your earlier posts in threads and me aggravated with AT&T carrier locked KEYone regarding WiFi calling.

Was their not KEYone WiFi calling breakage on T-Mobile with one update that was then fixed with subsequent update or the Oreo upgrade?
    09-02-18 08:58 AM
    Just curious
    Aside from being in a place where there is no cell signal. WFC is also fantastic when overseas. First of all (depending on your plan) WFC calls are free to (and from) the USA. This means you don't have to even think about putting a local SIM in your phone which -- most importantly -- means you are always using your domestic phone number.

Also, apparently. T-Mo WFC works where others don't. Was looking at a list of countries where at&t WFC does not work, and Turkey is on their list. Last time I was in Istanbul, no issues using T-Mo WFC. I had an hour-long conference call in Kazakhstan (where T-Mo does not have their cheap roaming plan) back to the US, all on WFC. You don't need anyone else to have some "app" on their device, and you don't need another number.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-02-18 09:02 AM

The first two....for you, yes. For others posting here, maybe - but with workarounds. And for the third, working for no one - T-Mo or otherwise.
    megafan2000 likes this.
    09-02-18 09:06 AM
    The first two....for you, yes. For others posting here, maybe - but with workarounds. And for the third, working for no one - T-Mo or otherwise.
    The first two 100% for everyone (unless they can't find the menu, but it's there.). Not just me., Go look at the forums.
    09-02-18 09:30 AM
    The first two 100% for everyone (unless they can't find the menu, but it's there.). Not just me., Go look at the forums.
    I don't think most people would consider having to access the engineering menu as a "working" alternative, but to each his/her own, I guess. Lol.

That's a "hack" solution...at best.
    Last edited by panopticon; 09-02-18 at 04:31 PM.
    09-02-18 04:21 PM
    I don't think most people would consider having to access the engineering menu as a "working" alternative, but to each his/her own, I guess. Lol.

That's a "hack" solution...at best.
    You don't have to. It seems this is the situation: if you set your menu for cellular-preferred the menu can vanish. Anything else and it seems to always be there. It's pretty straightforward. But... if some are confused...
    09-03-18 07:56 AM
    That’s weird. I always get the random onion ring in my fries at the BK Lounge.
    Not without coups.
    09-03-18 08:39 AM
    Also, I could care less about a certification. Technically wifi calling never officially worked on the keyone, since you had to perform a workaround. So while some exec says there's no plans to make it official, I'm not sold the functionality (with workaround) is dead forever on they key2. Fingers crossed the engineers will silently put it back in for us.
    09-03-18 08:53 AM
    You don't have to. It seems this is the situation: if you set your menu for cellular-preferred the menu can vanish. Anything else and it seems to always be there. It's pretty straightforward. But... if some are confused...
    I think you are the one who is confused. As a customer you know T-mobile doesn't even sell any of the BlackBerry phones you are talking about...so whining about services that were never officially supported on devices they never sold (and never will) is pointless. If you want to be mindblind about that, it's your prerogative. Its simply not accurate to conflate that with the known WIFI calling issues since the Oreo update, which seems to be what you and even the guy quoted from BlackBerry are doing (and in BlackBerry's case, somewhat disingenuous IMHO).
    09-03-18 09:27 AM
    Aside from being in a place where there is no cell signal. WFC is also fantastic when overseas. First of all (depending on your plan) WFC calls are free to (and from) the USA. This means you don't have to even think about putting a local SIM in your phone which -- most importantly -- means you are always using your domestic phone number.
    This is why carriers do not want WiFi calling to work.

At first people paid per minute per call. Then you got a certain number of minutes free. Eventually they all became free.

The same pattern happened with text messaging.

Then this happened with data.

Carriers then made a lot of money with high rates for calls made overseas. Now you can pay a daily fee to take your calling, texting and data plan overseas to avoid those high charges.

If WiFi calling is enabled and the fact that there is so much free WiFi overseas there is no way to make money any more. People could go overseas turn on airplane mode and turn WiFi back on and never pay a penny and have full use of their phone and data for free.
    nycspaces. likes this.
    09-03-18 10:31 AM
    Hi Joshua,

I am sending this e-mail to follow up with you regarding WiFi Calling on the BlackBerry Key2.

At this time TCL has confirmed they are not proceeding in getting this device (Key2) certified for WiFi calling on the T-Mobile network. This is a decision made by TCL. I know this is probably not the news you wanted to hear, however, it is at their discretion to decide on what devices they produce get certain certifications in certain markets around the world and this could certainly change in the future.

For any further information regarding this particular topic, I would encourage you to reach out to TCL directly via https://blackberrymobile.com/hotline...ervice-center/ as they will have the most up to date information.

Thank you,

Scott
    Senior Technical Analyst, BTS
    BlackBerry Limited
    Please note that the same problem has arisen on KeyONE. This after OTA upgrade to OREO 8.1.0. (Build ABD759).
    No WIFI Calling, No Visual Voicemail.
    09-12-18 06:45 AM
    Please note that the same problem has arisen on KeyONE. This after OTA upgrade to OREO 8.1.0. (Build ABD759).
    No WIFI Calling, No Visual Voicemail.
    People are reporting WFC working on both KeyOne and Motion. My wife has a KeyOne, I have a Motion. Works on both. Both have Oreo. Seems to be a Key2 issue.

V Voice Mail an issue, but for WFC... Get an app called QuickShortCutMaker. After install choose Phone Services. Choose Wifi-Calling, then tap Try and your menu appears. I set mine for Wifi-Preferred and the menu now seems to stay.

OH YEAH... and this will NOT work for Key2.
    Last edited by scrannel; 09-12-18 at 10:16 AM.
    09-12-18 07:31 AM
    A little birdie told me that BlackBerry will be adding WiFi calling to the KEY2 in the September update, assuming nothing changes between now and then.

Until then, no upgrade by me.
    I read some of your other posts which indicated you are using rogers wireless. Im not sure if they are selling branded blackberry key 2's. The main problem is that blackberry customer support is telling people who are using(bought) unlocked bbk2's, which is everybody who purchased the bbk2 in the US(because no wireless provider sells the phone), that blackberry isn't in the process of doing a wifi call fix for unlocked phones(unbranded wireless). This might not be the case for you if rogers has a contract with blackberry. Just wanted to clarify that people with unlocked phones might not get an update.

Also I haven't seen anything around about a September update fixing wifi calling. Where did you hear that? I was going to buy a bbk2 until I learned about the nonexistent wifi calling, without it I would have a $650 paperweight(no service at home and work).
    09-15-18 06:26 PM
    WFC is confirmed working on Rogers in the latest build. T-Mobile still not working. Really really hoping that changes.
    09-17-18 08:57 AM
    WFC is confirmed working on Rogers in the latest build. T-Mobile still not working. Really really hoping that changes.
    On Rogers, and yes. WiFi calling does indeed work. Allegedly a factory unlocked device I had used prior (black educational KEYᴼᴺᴱ) did not support WiFi calling.

KEY2 - TCL says no wifi calling for T-Mobile-screenshot_20180916-144504.jpegKEY2 - TCL says no wifi calling for T-Mobile-screenshot_20180916-144514.jpeg
    09-17-18 09:19 AM
    Just to confirm, you are saying that Wifi calling works on:
    Rogers + key2 + oreo September update?

That's a glimmer of hope for all of us, and discredits claims of TCL or Blackberry have no plans to bring it back, which obviously makes no sense.

Also, in regard to a different wifi-calling thread claiming carriers want to move away from wifi calling, I disagree with that 100%. All 4 major carriers in the USA support it on iPhone, so they would have a significant outcry if they tried to pull it now. I feel that WiFi calling support is favorable to carriers because it allows their voice+text services operate without a disadvantage in weak coverage areas compared with IP based 3rd party Voice and text services. As many have said, when wifi calling support drops, people will switch to whatsapp, etc.

To put it another way, if I have Internet access, EVERYTHING on my device better work, and there's no excuses.
    09-17-18 07:33 PM
56 123