Hi Joshua,

I am sending this e-mail to follow up with you regarding WiFi Calling on the BlackBerry Key2.

At this time TCL has confirmed they are not proceeding in getting this device (Key2) certified for WiFi calling on the T-Mobile network. This is a decision made by TCL. I know this is probably not the news you wanted to hear, however, it is at their discretion to decide on what devices they produce get certain certifications in certain markets around the world and this could certainly change in the future.

For any further information regarding this particular topic, I would encourage you to reach out to TCL directly via https://blackberrymobile.com/hotline...ervice-center/ as they will have the most up to date information.

Thank you,

Scott
    Senior Technical Analyst, BTS
    BlackBerry Limited
    08-31-18 10:54 AM
    I will probably return my key2. great phone, terrible camera, but wifi calling is a dealbreaker
    08-31-18 10:54 AM
    can someone smarter than me find a workaround or is it hopeless?
    08-31-18 10:59 AM
    Those of us that rely on Wifi calling are probably too small a group for them to care about us.
    Certainly not Good.

When I first started using wifi calling on my BlackBerry devices years ago, I tended to think that eventually it would become universal with all brands and all carriers because of how handy it can be.
    Guess I should get out of the prediction business lol
    FF22 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    08-31-18 11:08 AM
    Funny, because when I asked T-Mobile about this they told me that everything is setup to go but the issue is the software on the phone disabling it. Which I thought was confirmed by BlackBerry that they are working on an update to re-enable WiFi calling. Not sure what position this person has at TCL or if it's just a tech but BBMo does the software and T-Mobile is not going to block the Key2 from accessing WiFi Calling so I would take this with a grain of salt.
    08-31-18 11:11 AM
    I was referred to him from John Chen's office.
    08-31-18 01:04 PM
    Funny, because when I asked T-Mobile about this they told me that everything is setup to go but the issue is the software on the phone disabling it. Which I thought was confirmed by BlackBerry that they are working on an update to re-enable WiFi calling. Not sure what position this person has at TCL or if it's just a tech but BBMo does the software and T-Mobile is not going to block the Key2 from accessing WiFi Calling so I would take this with a grain of salt.
    He wasn't with BBMo, he was with BlackBerry... but he seems pretty sure of what he is saying. I would suggest anyone the doubts it, do as he suggests and contact BBMo Support.

At this point neither BlackBerry nor T-Mobile will have an answer... it's in the hands of the phone manufacture, which is BBMo. Enough people call, maybe they'll push the certification through....

Or maybe it the same issue that some K1 users are having... https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...lling-1154562/
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    08-31-18 02:29 PM
    can someone smarter than me find a workaround or is it hopeless?
    You can try using WhatsApp, Messenger, Dúo and even BBM over wifi.
    08-31-18 02:54 PM
    JKames,

I just don't understand why a manufacturer wouldn't certify that feature if the phone is capable and the carriers are not blocking it?
    08-31-18 03:17 PM
    JKames,

I just don't understand why a manufacturer wouldn't certify that feature if the phone is capable and the carriers are not blocking it?
    Well, the fact that the original post mentioned that it's a "certification" , might mean that there's a cost involved.
    Have no idea, but am just trying to guess at what the rationale could be lol.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-31-18 03:20 PM
    A little birdie told me that BlackBerry will be adding WiFi calling to the KEY2 in the September update, assuming nothing changes between now and then.

Until then, no upgrade by me.
    08-31-18 04:28 PM
    another little bird told me that it's coming soon™
    john_v and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-31-18 04:44 PM
    A little birdie told me that BlackBerry will be adding WiFi calling to the KEY2 in the September update, assuming nothing changes between now and then.

Until then, no upgrade by me.
    Would that be a blue jay? If so, they are just mean and cannot be trusted
    08-31-18 07:36 PM
    I don't know why WiFi calling is constantly a struggle. The hardware and software is all in place on both ends. Yet carriers and device manufacturers can never get their act together.

My bold 9900 was the last device that reliably had WiFi calling on T-Mobile.

The Q10 had it on 10.2, but then lost it on 10.3, but there was an update that enabled it, but it would constantly drop calls.

The classic had the same problem - WiFi calling enabled but half the time it wouldn't connect or drop calls.

Now the KeyOne had it working fine, but they took it away in the oero update.

What gives!?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-31-18 09:14 PM
    I don't know why WiFi calling is constantly a struggle. The hardware and software is all in place on both ends. Yet carriers and device manufacturers can never get their act together.

My bold 9900 was the last device that reliably had WiFi calling on T-Mobile.

The Q10 had it on 10.2, but then lost it on 10.3, but there was an update that enabled it, but it would constantly drop calls.

The classic had the same problem - WiFi calling enabled but half the time it wouldn't connect or drop calls.

Now the KeyOne had it working fine, but they took it away in the oero update.

What gives!?
    It's one of those life mysteries.
    Like, 'why is the sky blue?', 'how high is up?', and 'why do you always get a random French fry in your order of onion rings at Burger King?'.

Thing's we'll just never know.
    Soapm and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-31-18 09:20 PM
    It's one of those life mysteries.
    Like, 'why is the sky blue?', 'how high is up?', and 'why do you always get a random French fry in your order of onion rings at Burger King?'.

Thing's we'll just never know.
    That’s weird. I always get the random onion ring in my fries at the BK Lounge.
    DanylW likes this.
    09-01-18 12:07 AM
    WiFi calling and visual voice-mail work for me on T-Mobile. What does not work is access to Google Visual voice-mail embedded transcription service
    09-01-18 06:40 PM
    You can try using WhatsApp, Messenger, Dúo and even BBM over wifi.
    FYI: BBM over Wi-Fi has the best call quality for us compared to WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger... but I understand how that isn't a real solution to your issue and how frustrating it is to not have Wi-Fi calling on a modern smartphone (types man who spends a lot of time in rural areas with no/little mobile signal).
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-01-18 07:36 PM
    Hi Joshua,

I am sending this e-mail to follow up with you regarding WiFi Calling on the BlackBerry Key2.

At this time TCL has confirmed they are not proceeding in getting this device (Key2) certified for WiFi calling on the T-Mobile network. This is a decision made by TCL. I know this is probably not the news you wanted to hear, however, it is at their discretion to decide on what devices they produce get certain certifications in certain markets around the world and this could certainly change in the future.

For any further information regarding this particular topic, I would encourage you to reach out to TCL directly via https://blackberrymobile.com/hotline...ervice-center/ as they will have the most up to date information.

Thank you,

Scott
    Senior Technical Analyst, BTS
    BlackBerry Limited
    In other words, T-Mo's ransom is too rich for TCL's blood. I wonder what kind of ridiculous sum they must be demanding to 'certify' something the phone is already designed to support. Lol.
    09-01-18 07:43 PM
    In other words, T-Mo's ransom is too rich for TCL's blood. I wonder what kind of ridiculous sum they must be demanding to 'certify' something the phone is already designed to support. Lol.
    Except... works on KeyOne and Motion...
    09-01-18 08:40 PM
    I’m curious since no previous mention of certification requirement like VZW or Carrier device requirement like some Canadian models. What happened to uncarrier?
    09-01-18 08:43 PM
    I’m curious since no previous mention of certification requirement like VZW or Carrier device requirement like some Canadian models. What happened to uncarrier?
    No change of policy at T-Mo, but unlike most BB phones that came before, T-Mo isn't carrying this one - and if it's not being sold by the carrier, it's up to the manufacturer to pay for certification. That applies to all manufacturers.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-01-18 09:57 PM
    Which I agree, makes absolutely no sense...assuming of course it is legitimately working for everyone on a KeyONE / Motion across the board on T-Mo and is not some kind of temporary hack or selective whitelisting by T-Mo on an account by account basis.

And of course there is the other 'slight' complication that WIFI calling seems to be broken on ALL Key2's at the moment, even though some had reported it to be working initially...

On my carrier (Telus) WIFI calling is only supported on certain iPhone, Samsung, or LG models...and even then, you can only use it in Canada. So how much 'certification' has to do with it, as opposed to straight up carrier discrimination, is anyone's guess. Not to mention it's impossible to know one way or the other when no one on a Key2 seems to have WIFI calling working in the first place. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    09-01-18 10:00 PM
    Which I agree, makes absolutely no sense...assuming of course it is legitimately working for everyone on a KeyONE / Motion across the board on T-Mo and is not some kind of temporary hack or selective whitelisting by T-Mo on an account by account basis.

And of course there is the other 'slight' complication that WIFI calling seems to be broken on ALL Key2's at the moment, even though some had reported it to be working initially...

On my carrier (Telus) WIFI calling is only supported on certain iPhone, Samsung, or LG models...and even then, you can only use it in Canada. So how much 'certification' has to do with it, as opposed to straight up carrier discrimination, is anyone's guess. Not to mention it's impossible to know one way or the other when no one on a Key2 seems to have WIFI calling working in the first place. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    My wife has had her keyone for a year, I guess? Wifi-calling 100%. Has been working on Motion since new and I bought when they first came out.
    09-01-18 10:23 PM
    My wife has had her keyone for a year, I guess? Wifi-calling 100%. Has been working on Motion since new and I bought when they first came out.
    And its still working, even with Oreo? That's not what others are reporting.

Seems to me its more likely your KeyONE and Motion just slipped through the cracks somehow (as it did for others) and it had nothing to do with being 'certified' with T-Mo or not.

With Oreo, WIFI calling is apparently broken on all BBMo/TCL BlackBerry models that had it working previously, at least for now. For the Key2 specifically, 'Scott' from BlackBerry seems to be implicating lack of certification by TCL as the explanation...but that is anything but clear at this point, particularly given the previous functionality of your KeyONE and Motion, neither of which were either sold or officially supported by T-Mo.
    09-02-18 12:00 AM
56 123