The.spacebar.have.stop.working.suddenly.is.there.a .way.t.fix.it?Can.I.pop.out.the.spacebar.button.to .clean.it.or.do.I.have.to.change.the.entire.keyboa rd?many.thanks.in.advance.sorry.for.the.fullstop.a fter.each.word.
    06-13-21 08:46 AM
    The.spacebar.have.stop.working.suddenly.is.there.a .way.t.fix.it?Can.I.pop.out.the.spacebar.button.to .clean.it.or.do.I.have.to.change.the.entire.keyboa rd?many.thanks.in.advance.sorry.for.the.fullstop.a fter.each.word.
    Replace the keyboard.
    06-13-21 08:51 AM
    Conite, thanks for your help. Installed swiftkey keyboard for now. Cheers
    06-13-21 09:07 AM
    you could also use dictionary auto-replace and make something like double period into space. an option for the short term perhaps. to do that you could have to copy and paste a space from a web page.
    06-13-21 09:36 AM
    settings - system settings - language and input - keyboard settings - prediction and correction - word substitution.

it's nothing if not buried in a host of sub-menus!
    06-13-21 09:40 AM
    SwitfKey fixed the problem?

If not, there are spare keyboards on eBay and AliExpress.
    06-13-21 02:40 PM
    Here are some tips to try:

1. Force stop and clear the cache for the BB keyboard app. You'll need to go to the settings where you see all the apps and then hit the three dots at the top and then "show system" to see it in the list.
    2. Try installing SwiftKey and see if that helps.
    3. Try using it without any keyboard app (meaning BB keyboard disabled and SwiftKey uninstalled)
    4. Try disabling "double press spacebar to insert a period" in the BB keyboard settings.
    5. Take a can of compressed air and really try to spray air in there going from the sides or from the top or bottom to try to clear some dust out of there.
    6. Try typing a bit slower to see if that helps
    7. Try hitting the right side of the spacebar as opposed to the center or the left. Right should work better.
    8. Factory reset
    9. Replace the keyboard, there are new ones on eBay and AliExpress
    If swiftkey fixed you problem then it must be a software issue. Maybe try some of the steps outlined above.
    HUD199 likes this.
    06-13-21 05:31 PM
    I sent you a PM
    06-14-21 06:40 AM
    Thanks Mike, I will give this a try. I also installed swiftkey keyboard (not the best as it takeover most of the screen) which I type on the my PKB and using the space bar on Swiftkey. I wrote to TCL and waiting as there is no information of a service center in HongKong. I love the phone and this is frustrating. Last security patch was in May 2020,ACQ984. Thank you all for your help and support.
    06-14-21 07:42 PM
    Thanks Mike, I will give this a try. I also installed swiftkey keyboard (not the best as it takeover most of the screen) which I type on the my PKB and using the space bar on Swiftkey. I wrote to TCL and waiting as there is no information of a service center in HongKong. I love the phone and this is frustrating. Last security patch was in May 2020,ACQ984. Thank you all for your help and support.
    Right. You can also set the virtual BlackBerry keyboard to pop up on the screen when you open a text field.
    But this is definitely a hardware issue then.
    06-14-21 07:45 PM
    Actually mine stopped working a year ago too. You needed to press really hard for it to work
    Fixed it myself. Used electrical contact cleaner. Worked like charm. I didn't believe it would help. Any anti grease solution did not work like automotive brake clean and compressed air.
    But contact cleaner did the magic. Cant explain how. At first the rubber layer bulged raising the buttons (probably rubber didn't like the spray), then I used brake clean to clean it off (well, contact cleaner is a bit oily-ish substance), it dried off and it was fine since. The rubber unbulged.

I sometimes still skip a space, so it is not perfect 100% but it happens very rarely.

I thought I didn't have anything to loose and I read about using contact cleaner / some oil instead of degreasing cleaner on this forum.

Unbelievable, i know.
    the_boon and zjays like this.
    06-15-21 01:41 AM
    If you're in HK, you may more easily find a spare keyboard if none of the solutions above work.
    06-15-21 08:13 AM
    Here is how I fixed the spacebar issue on my Blackberry Key2 LE. I ordered a "new" keyboard online (appeared to be used). I installed it and the the spacebar issue did not resolve. I then cleaned the ribbon connection terminals on the back of the keyboard and the ribbon connector end with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol using a cotton applicator. I also pried open the keyboard and cleaned the silicon layer between the keys and the small micro-switches under each key. The problem was fixed and the spacebar appears to be functioning normally now. Installation of a new keyboard must be done carefully and is not for the faint of heart. Make sure you have the proper tools many of which are sold online 1) Pry off the plastic strip (held with glue) just below the keyboard which exposes two screw heads which must be removed. 2). Carefully pry off the back of the phone 3). Removed the screws securing the large silver plate and gently pry it upward exposing the battery 4). Remove the screws securing the component on the rear of the keyboard on the bottom of the phone 5) remove that component exposing two more keyboard screws. 6). Remove these screws and then gently pry up the ribbon connector (small silver rectangle to your left as you face the rear of the phone) on the back of the keyboard 7) Remove the keyboard by pressing it out from the rear and gently prying it up from the front 8) once the keyboard has been removed, the ribbon cable connectors and silicon keyboard insert can be cleaned as described above. Alternatively you can just leave your existing keyboard in place and try cleaning the ribbon terminals as described above. If this works, then you can save your replacement keyboard that you may have purchased as a spare. Although the spacebar issue appears to be "mechanical" it is likely an electrical issue involving the microscopic contamination of connectors which then develop enough resistance to impede conduction in these microcircuits. Hence the intermittent spacebar functionality.Key2.spacebar.not.working.-bb-key2-le-keyboard.jpg
    Last edited by denuccid; 06-19-21 at 07:10 AM. Reason: add photo
    Justafyle, the_boon and irob20000 like this.
    06-18-21 09:09 PM
    you could also use dictionary auto-replace and make something like double period into space. an option for the short term perhaps. to do that you could have to copy and paste a space from a web page.
    Can you give me more instructions on how to do this? thank y
    07-17-21 08:01 AM
    Kudos, that surgery looks daunting.
    07-28-21 05:42 AM
    I guess I'm a BB fanatic and really support the brand. I work in finance and shrug off the Apple crowd. I use both a KEY2 and the KEY1 as a back up, latter used mostly on wifi. I am sure they are both beyond the 1 yr warranty. I am experiencing the space bar issue on both devices now and is defeating the whole purpose of the keyboard. I have been with BB since day one, I am registered for updates on the KEY3 but I'm losing hope that my devices will last that long. I did the most suggested solutions, compressed air & changed the setting in the input, but the space bar still doesn't perform as it should. I will try the TCL hotline today but not expecting much. I have stripped apart some of the older devices in the but don't have the time to fiddle with it so I'm not chasing after repalcement parts. Rogers likely wont help either as they don't carry the product. Any other ideas or words of encouragement are welcome.
    08-19-21 07:00 AM