Hello,

So, my spacebar stopped working. The fingerprint sensor works, but I can't make spaces.

I bought my phone in the UK just over a year ago. I now live in Spain. What are my options?

Looks like I'm not the only one affected specifically with the spacebar issue.
    10-15-19 02:24 AM
    Hello,

So, my spacebar stopped working. The fingerprint sensor works, but I can't make spaces.

I bought my phone in the UK just over a year ago. I now live in Spain. What are my options?

Have you tried both ends of the space bar aswell as the middle. Only asking as one side of mine didn't but after using compressed air it now does.
    10-15-19 05:58 AM
    Thanks. Tried that already.

I will try some compressed air later, but I'm not holding my breath.

This is the first BB that I've owned that has a PKB failure and I had 7!

I'm hesitating getting another one, now. I am somewhat thinking this may be a TCL thing. I had a KeyOne that I lost, so I don't know if that also developed a spacebar issue as well.
    10-15-19 07:52 AM
    Tried compressed air. Still the same.

Anyone know how much would a repair be?

The more I scour the forums, the more I hesitate to jump on another key2.
    10-15-19 03:04 PM
    Tried compressed air. Still the same.

Anyone know how much would a repair be?

The more I scour the forums, the more I hesitate to jump on another key2.
    New keyboard is about $65 - $80....

If you need someone to do it... you'll have to ask your local electronic repair store (one in every shopping center). But you could probable find a Youtube to show you how.
    10-15-19 03:26 PM

If you need someone to do it... you'll have to ask your local electronic repair store (one in every shopping center). But you could probable find a Youtube to show you how.
    Not a bad idea. I know one repair place that did my gf's phone last year and they were good. Will call them tomorrow.

Would the price of the keyboard is from eBay? Will have a look.
    10-15-19 05:00 PM
    I've had it happen to me twice on two seperate devices over the past year (!) I'm from the UK too and had to send it to Acatel's Repair centre and both times came back repaired, after orignally putting a ticket it with Blackberry Mobile support. You may still be able to do this if you live in Spain but ask if they're willing to send it back to Spain...
    10-15-19 05:26 PM
    I had the same issue couple of months ago, tried compressed air with no improvement then all of sudden the kb started working as if it was new, flawless. It coincided with some software or App update (which one you may ask) but i'm sure this was pure coincidence. Three days ago it started to show some signs of flimsiness and again there was some update performed right before so I wonder if this is physical or software related.
    Me missing my flawless fast typing :/
    10-15-19 08:43 PM
    I've had it happen to me twice on two seperate devices over the past year (!) I'm from the UK too and had to send it to Acatel's Repair centre and both times came back repaired, after orignally putting a ticket it with Blackberry Mobile support. You may still be able to do this if you live in Spain but ask if they're willing to send it back to Spain...
    Thanks! Sent an email to them earlier today asking for solutions. I got in touch with a mobile shop repair centre here and they said they wouldn't touch my phone because they don't have the spares for it and they don't want to touch spares they dont't stock.
    10-16-19 12:51 PM
    I had the same issue couple of months ago, tried compressed air with no improvement then all of sudden the kb started working as if it was new, flawless. It coincided with some software or App update (which one you may ask) but i'm sure this was pure coincidence. Three days ago it started to show some signs of flimsiness and again there was some update performed right before so I wonder if this is physical or software related.
    Me missing my flawless fast typing :/
    I hear ya. Falling back on the Priv for day to day work. I am having a hard time typing on the screen of the Key2 (or the Priv for that matter)

Is there a way for me to roll back an update and see if that could be it? I would be really, really annoyed if that was it.

Maybe I should start considering a full back up and factory restore anyway.
    10-16-19 12:53 PM
    $65 - $80 ? Hell no!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...2F401752331648
    10-16-19 01:46 PM
    Fine $56 plus shipping from Hong Kong from some eBay 3rd party with almost no history...

So I guess I should change my post to $60 - $80?
    10-18-19 09:26 AM
    did the air trick. has the same problem. air didn't resolve problem initally, but with time started working like new! PHEW!! haha
    the_boon likes this.
    10-19-19 05:17 PM
    vacuum the keyboard with suction on low to medium! for about 30 seconds.
    10-19-19 08:14 PM
    Fine $56 plus shipping from Hong Kong from some eBay 3rd party with almost no history...

So I guess I should change my post to $60 - $80?
    I'm glad there are at least some options to getting one. My keyboard is showing lots of signs of wear. Wish they made a new silver with the keys from the red with white letters for shift keys.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    the_boon likes this.
    10-19-19 10:42 PM
    Wish they made a new silver with the keys from the red with white letters for shift keys.
    That would be too much to ask.

Only way to do that is to grab a Silver and a Red KEY2 and do a swap surgery...
    10-20-19 12:02 AM
    Question for the keyboard swappers - a month or so ago, I opened a bottle of Coke and the bubbles overflowed all over my keyboard. Ever since then my spacebar has not worked like before. When I hit the spacebar it works maybe 50/50 while typing. I finally took it to my cellphone repair guy I've been going to for like 10 years for a quote and he says if he swaps the keyboard out, the fingerprint reader MIGHT not work anymore as the original keyboard is registered to the unit, but he's never had to work on a Key 2 as of yet. Any truth to that?
    10-22-19 08:17 PM
    Question for the keyboard swappers - a month or so ago, I opened a bottle of Coke and the bubbles overflowed all over my keyboard. Ever since then my spacebar has not worked like before. When I hit the spacebar it works maybe 50/50 while typing. I finally took it to my cellphone repair guy I've been going to for like 10 years for a quote and he says if he swaps the keyboard out, the fingerprint reader MIGHT not work anymore as the original keyboard is registered to the unit, but he's never had to work on a Key 2 as of yet. Any truth to that?
    Nothing to worry about there. Go ahead and change the keyboard out.
    10-22-19 09:12 PM
    My spacebar went dead last week. BB Mobile advised doing the hardware test (via the Phone app), and this confirmed it's a hardware issue. Phone is out of warranty, so it'll either be fixed for free (or nominal fee), or replaced at my cost.

If this is a design flaw, I'm sure we'll hear more about this issue. Or maybe I just got a lemon
    10-26-19 11:41 PM
    Hello,

if you are in Spain then you have an official repair centre. I used them for my Motion repair.
    I've attached the contact details.
    You send the phone, they assess it and send a quotation. If you agree to it, you pay it and they'll mend and send it back. Make sure you make a copy of Everything on the phone as they may have to wipe it. For efficiency I'd give them 5/10, but the repair was good and the price economical. Buena suerte!
    email. [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails KEY2 spacebar not responding-38859.jpg  
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    10-27-19 12:49 PM
    Lately my keyboard suddenly inserts a space in a word I am typing. It's a recent thing. To use the thumbprint it works if I PRESS down on space bar like I am making a space-rather than just softly touching it to prove it's me.
    10-30-19 11:13 PM
    if you are in Spain then you have an official repair centre. I used them for my Motion repair.
    I've attached the contact details.
    You send the phone, they assess it and send a quotation. If you agree to it, you pay it and they'll mend and send it back. Make sure you make a copy of Everything on the phone as they may have to wipe it. For efficiency I'd give them 5/10, but the repair was good and the price economical. Buena suerte!
    email. [email protected]
    Didn't it cost you over 100 euros to replace the back cover? Economical?
    10-31-19 01:27 PM
    Didn't it cost you over 100 euros to replace the back cover? Economical?
    No, it was 54€ to replace the top 'hood' of the Motion and included labour and P+P.
    It just took them a bit of messing around to get the quotation right!!
    10-31-19 01:53 PM
    Same problem here and blowing with compressed air is not helping at all!

In my case, warranty is a mess. I got this phone from a store in Dubai, during a visit back in December 2018 (still valid warranty), presently living in Greece where there isn't an authorized service center.
    So, no repair through the warranty, no repair from a certified technician and proper spare part but by myself with a spare part acquired through ebay!!!

Nice shot Blackberry!
    11-06-19 08:18 AM
    I have the same problem - and to be honest, I feel like this could be software-induced.

When I switched from the KeyOne to the KeyTwo, I had a lot of trouble with the space bar. It seemed like I was *always* hitting it, in the middle of other letters, or twice when I meant to press it once. I thought it was just me.

Lately, I notice that it doesn't work very well. I'm always running two words together despite hitting the space bar.

I'm considering powering the KeyOne back up, because I never had those issues using it.
    11-12-19 11:35 AM
29 12