hello everyone. so the keyboard on my Key2 finally "died".

It still scans fingerprint, but trying to use it as a spacebar results in nothing (as several others seem to have had this issue).
    I purchased the phone through Walmart back in October. Of course, there is nothing on BlackBerry for support, just kick you to the TCL site which basically says contact wherever you bought it.

I know that Walmart won't have any replacements, as when I bought mine back in October I tried to return within 30 days for a replacement because the square button wasn't working - they didn't have anything to replace it with (I literally think I may have bought the last one in stock) so I stuck with it since I couldn't find one available anywhere else.
    Anyways, I guess I am checking to see if anyone has any advice on warranty on this thing, or if it's even worth it as I have a feeling I may wind up yelling down empty hallways trying to get this thing covered one way or another under warranty.

I have seen some people replace the keyboard, which I am contemplating giving a shot.

Who knows what's going on with Onward at this point. I am starting to feel as if the 5G BlackBerry may never even make the light of day. That's what I have been holding for, hoping that it would "finally" bring quality back to BlackBerry, as every device that I had that was produced by TCL (2 Key Ones, 2 Key 2's) were terrible build quality. But afraid it may be time to finally once and for all jump off the BlackBerry ship.

Anyways, little bit of a rant there, but the tl;dr:
    - Has anyone had any recent warranty experience?
    - Have those of you that replaced the keyboard/spacebar on your own had long-term success, or is it just throwing more $ after a bad product?
    04-23-21 02:46 PM

It still scans fingerprint, but trying to use it as a spacebar results in nothing (as several others seem to have had this issue).
    I purchased the phone through Walmart back in October. Of course, there is nothing on BlackBerry for support, just kick you to the TCL site which basically says contact wherever you bought it.

I know that Walmart won't have any replacements, as when I bought mine back in October I tried to return within 30 days for a replacement because the square button wasn't working - they didn't have anything to replace it with (I literally think I may have bought the last one in stock) so I stuck with it since I couldn't find one available anywhere else.
    Anyways, I guess I am checking to see if anyone has any advice on warranty on this thing, or if it's even worth it as I have a feeling I may wind up yelling down empty hallways trying to get this thing covered one way or another under warranty.

I have seen some people replace the keyboard, which I am contemplating giving a shot.

Who knows what's going on with Onward at this point. I am starting to feel as if the 5G BlackBerry may never even make the light of day. That's what I have been holding for, hoping that it would "finally" bring quality back to BlackBerry, as every device that I had that was produced by TCL (2 Key Ones, 2 Key 2's) were terrible build quality. But afraid it may be time to finally once and for all jump off the BlackBerry ship.

- Have those of you that replaced the keyboard/spacebar on your own had long-term success, or is it just throwing more $ after a bad product?
    My best advice is to order a replacement keyboard from eBay or AliExpress. Try to find one which was made in 2019, sometimes the seller shows photos of the back of the keyboards, the build date is stamped on the metal part behind the spacebar area.

When you replace it, keep using the phone until the OnwardBerry (hopefully) comes out, and then keep that KEY2 as a backup phone.
    04-23-21 04:54 PM
    The_Boon was kind to sell me a spare. I installed it yesterday, and so far the nostalgia for the old BB came back. i can now type work email efficiently. for a phone without physical tracker, doubling back to insert space missing between 2 words was a nightmare! and my fingers are quite large so when a typo comes along, it was a hassle to fix it with a broken spacer. thanks, The_Boon
    anon(5597702) and the_boon like this.
    05-02-21 10:16 AM
    The_Boon was kind to sell me a spare. I installed it yesterday, and so far the nostalgia for the old BB came back. i can now type work email efficiently. for a phone without physical tracker, doubling back to insert space missing between 2 words was a nightmare! and my fingers are quite large so when a typo comes along, it was a hassle to fix it with a broken spacer. thanks, The_Boon
    When I have time, I’ll be going down to South Florida, @the_boon is one person I definitely need to meet up and buy a few drinks for all the grief I’ve given.
    05-02-21 11:10 AM

Hmmm. Your screen name should bring shudders to prospective PKB manufacturers looking to capture an untapped market.
    05-03-21 06:43 AM
    So TCL was pretty useless until I decided to track down and email 5 exec's at BlackBerry, whom in turn relayed my information back over to TCL who now all of a sudden is all "oh yeah, we WILL cover that under warranty...send it to us and we will see if it's "Under Warranty" still and if so, we will repair, if not, we will charge you and then decide what to do with device and blah blah". However, I am just going to order a new keyboard and take this one apart and if I clean it and works or the replacement one works, great, if not, it will be time to just finally admit that iPhone will be the next way to go. For the amount of Down Time that I will experience, it's not going to be worth it when I can just order a new keyboard or tear this one apart. Not to mention that I wouldn't have a "backup device" while it was gone. So I will do it myself as the last "shock" to keep it hanging on to dear life before taking it out back and putting the theoretical bullet in it's head.

At this point, I need something that is going to be known reliable. Have attempted to stick with BB and PKB's, but I need RELIABILITY and QUALITY, BOTH of which BlackBerry has undeniably been lacking for the past several devices. Of course, the 5G BlackBerry MAY happen, but at this point, do we really even have much faith? And basically with it being their "first device", we will wind up being "beta testers".
    05-03-21 10:26 AM

I guess I don't have to tell you that buying a phone from Walmart is like asking the Boston Strangler to massage your neck
    05-04-21 05:18 PM
    I guess I don't have to tell you that buying a phone from Walmart is like asking the Boston Strangler to massage your neck
    Was it even Walmart or one of the many resellers that plague their website?

But not sure what the OP wanted....

TCL announced the shutting down of BBMo last February, and did it in August. Clearly buying a phone in October he shouldn't have even expected a warranty. That they offered to repair it under their normal terms is great! But it's always been "send us the device and wait a few weeks (or at times months) and we will send it back".

I know my last issues with a carrier provided phone netted me a replacement the next day, but buying unlocked phones is a very different experience that has been well documented here.

If Onward Mobility moves forward.... they are small group of random people that I'm not sure they even have an office. If things don't work out and the company folds, will make TCL backing of BBMo look like five star service.
    05-05-21 07:36 AM