I ordered my Key2 on June 29th. After using it for a while, it was clear that I had the space bar lag issue, where the space bar only registers input on a delayed basis. So often when I am typing, words just run together because the space bar doesn't kick in, and then random spaces will get inserted later as I type. This also results in periods getting inserted in the message where they shouldn't be. I know that it's not an issue of me not hitting the space bar hard enough, because the spaces come through--they're just late.

Not wanting to go back through the process of backing up all my information and rolling back to the KeyOne, I hoped that a software update would solve the problem. But now months later, I still have the issue.

I contacted Blackberry customer support, they said they could do an advanced exchange or a repair. Not wanting to get a refurb unit since I had just paid for a new device, I asked customer service if this was a defect that they were capable of repairing, and the rep said that if they could not fix the space bar itself, they would just replace the entire keyboard. I sent the Key2 in for repair, clearly noting in the case writeup the issue with the space bar. They had the device for about 3 weeks. They sent it back without performing any repairs, noting "No fault found." The device I got back is the same device, IMEI matches, still with keyboard lag.

I called back customer service and they offered to repair the device again, saying I should be clearer this time what the issue is.

Has anyone had luck repairing this problem? They send the device to Canada for repair and it takes forever for them to do anything. Since a lot of people seem to have had this issue judging by this message board, I am surprised that they did not find anything wrong with the device when they had it.

At this point I'd rather just keep using my KeyOne because I can actually type messages on it. Wishing I never bought the Key2...
    12-17-18 02:24 PM
    I ordered my Key2 on June 29th. After using it for a while, it was clear that I had the space bar lag issue, where the space bar only registers input on a delayed basis. So often when I am typing, words just run together because the space bar doesn't kick in, and then random spaces will get inserted later as I type. This also results in periods getting inserted in the message where they shouldn't be. I know that it's not an issue of me not hitting the space bar hard enough, because the spaces come through--they're just late.

Not wanting to go back through the process of backing up all my information and rolling back to the KeyOne, I hoped that a software update would solve the problem. But now months later, I still have the issue.

I contacted Blackberry customer support, they said they could do an advanced exchange or a repair. Not wanting to get a refurb unit since I had just paid for a new device, I asked customer service if this was a defect that they were capable of repairing, and the rep said that if they could not fix the space bar itself, they would just replace the entire keyboard. I sent the Key2 in for repair, clearly noting in the case writeup the issue with the space bar. They had the device for about 3 weeks. They sent it back without performing any repairs, noting "No fault found." The device I got back is the same device, IMEI matches, still with keyboard lag.

I called back customer service and they offered to repair the device again, saying I should be clearer this time what the issue is.

Has anyone had luck repairing this problem? They send the device to Canada for repair and it takes forever for them to do anything. Since a lot of people seem to have had this issue judging by this message board, I am surprised that they did not find anything wrong with the device when they had it.

At this point I'd rather just keep using my KeyOne because I can actually type messages on it. Wishing I never bought the Key2...
    If you recently bought it, I'd just return it and buy the KEY2 LE instead
    12-17-18 02:43 PM
    If you recently bought it, I'd just return it and buy the KEY2 LE instead
    That said, my KEY² is absolutely perfect from a keyboard perspective.

Sep 28 build date if that means anything.
    the brother likes this.
    12-17-18 03:07 PM
    That said, my KEY² is absolutely perfect from a keyboard perspective.

Sep 28 build date if that means anything.
    Don't know if build date really means anything when it comes to the KEY2's spacebar.

I'm sure I could buy one right now and it should be fine, but my keyboard OCD is too strong so I'll just stick to my LE (and Atomic soon) until the next PKB devices are out.

I like that the LE's spacebar click is close to the other keys
    the brother likes this.
    12-17-18 05:24 PM
    Don't know if build date really means anything when it comes to the KEY2's spacebar.

I'm sure I could buy one right now and it should be fine, but my keyboard OCD is too strong so I'll just stick to my LE (and Atomic soon) until the next PKB devices are out.

I like that the LE's spacebar click is close to the other keys
    I can't hear or feel the difference between my spacebar and my other keys.
    the brother likes this.
    12-17-18 05:27 PM
    Your spacebar has similar/identical key travel and resistance as your other keys ?

If really the case, then I want that KEY2 lol
    the brother likes this.
    12-17-18 05:35 PM
    Your spacebar has similar/identical key travel and resistance as your other keys ?

If really the case, then I want that KEY2 lol
    I can't tell the difference.
    the brother likes this.
    12-17-18 05:42 PM
    I can't tell the difference.
    Well, in a quiet room, I could definitely hear the difference.
    In a noisy environment definitely not, so that just leaves us with the different click... except for yours I guess
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-17-18 05:54 PM
    If it makes you feel any better I notice this occasionally with my KEYone. I can sometimes go days without so much as an issue and some days I can't type a sentence without raging.
    12-17-18 05:59 PM
    Same with my KEY2 with a build date of August 3.

Bob
    the brother likes this.
    12-17-18 06:04 PM
    my space key feels bit loosely installed as compared to the rest of the keys which are firmly fixed good feel. space key have a tick tick plasticky sound every time I press it like it's dropping out anytime
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-17-18 08:28 PM
    Just get the LE... flawless keyboard

Posted via CB10
    the_boon and elfabio80 like this.
    12-18-18 02:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    ^ This ^
    12-18-18 10:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    ^ This ^
    I'm being 100% honest (no exaggeration) when I say my KEY² keyboard is absolutely flawless.
    the brother likes this.
    12-18-18 10:46 AM
    I'm being 100% honest (no exaggeration) when I say my KEY² keyboard is absolutely flawless.
    I believe you, but if you take a look at my build dates thread and other posts around the forum, it's clear that several KEY2 units out there (I've seen some) have a moderately wobbly/loose spacebar, where the LE has literally zero reports so far of this "issue".
    On the other hand, I've also seen units with perfect spacebars that were even more firmly in place than the KEYone/LE.
    It's the inconsistency that's annoying, and also that build dates don't really mean anything here.

That's why I say that with the LE, it's essentially a guarantee that all keys will feel, click and sound the same.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-18-18 12:51 PM
    It's not the clicking sound that bothers me but rather the way it sometimes recognizes the spacebar too late or one too many.
    12-19-18 02:03 AM
    Same with my KEY2 with a build date of August 3.

Bob
    Those who feel and hear no difference between the space bar and the other keys must be very lucky having received perfect devices. For most, and I include myself, there is a markable difference in feel and sound. So far, and touch wood, no space lag issue on my Key2 but the finger sensor is less reactive than on my KeyOne. Sometimes a few fingerprints are needed for the device to register them, unlike on the KeyOne.
    12-19-18 12:13 PM
    Those who feel and hear no difference between the space bar and the other keys must be very lucky having received perfect devices.
    When I first got my KEY2 I admit the space bar did click but it wasn't loose/wobbly. However, after all the use of the keyboard/space bar hammering out countless texts and emails the clicking has long subsided.

Bob
    the brother likes this.
    12-19-18 01:27 PM
    I believe you, but if you take a look at my build dates thread and other posts around the forum, it's clear that several KEY2 units out there (I've seen some) have a moderately wobbly/loose spacebar, where the LE has literally zero reports so far of this "issue".
    On the other hand, I've also seen units with perfect spacebars that were even more firmly in place than the KEYone/LE.
    It's the inconsistency that's annoying, and also that build dates don't really mean anything here.

That's why I say that with the LE, it's essentially a guarantee that all keys will feel, click and sound the same.
    Pretty sure it's a lot more than just "several units out there" lol.

You've seen units with perfect spacebars? In person?
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-19-18 03:18 PM
    [QUOTE=tmocurve8320;13322754

Has anyone had luck repairing this problem? They send the device to Canada for repair and it takes forever for them to do anything. Since a lot of people seem to have had this issue judging by this message board, I am surprised that they did not find anything wrong with the device when they had it. [/QUOTE]

Someone said to vacuum the keyboard. Not sure if they were joking. Tried it with a household hadn vac -- didn't work for me.
    12-23-18 04:24 AM
    Someone said to vacuum the keyboard. Not sure if they were joking. Tried it with a household hadn vac -- didn't work for me.
    Compressed air or strong vacuum may dislodge pesky dirt or dust.
    12-23-18 08:28 AM
    So I can vouch for the compressed air idea. I used it on mine and it seems to be working fine again.
    the brother likes this.
    12-23-18 10:35 AM
    So I can vouch for the compressed air idea. I used it on mine and it seems to be working fine again.
    I just bought some compressed air. How did you apply since the gaps between keys are so narrow? Just get the nozzle straw as close as possible into the gaps?
    12-23-18 09:21 PM
    I just bought some compressed air. How did you apply since the gaps between keys are so narrow? Just get the nozzle straw as close as possible into the gaps?
    Yeah. I just jammed the nozzle tip right up against the keyboard and into the gaps. I managed to get my nail under the spacebar a bit and pried it up while blasting it. I saw nothing come out but I haven't experienced a problem since.

I guess dust from being in your pocket simply gets under it eventually. Funny that I never had a problem with my 9700, 9900, Passport, or PRIV though.
    12-23-18 09:43 PM
    Pretty sure it's a lot more than just "several units out there" lol.

You've seen units with perfect spacebars? In person?
    Yes, I've seen many perfect ones. And by perfect I mean zero wobbling/rattling, but still with a different click.

Some with sliiiight wobble.

Some with moderate wobble.

And few with terrible wobble.

It's like a box of chocolates with these things lol...

I'm just gonna stick to my LE lol
    12-23-18 09:43 PM
35 12