Why is my unlocked Key2 Silver installing Amazon Shopping Bloatware when I install a Koodo Sim Card?

I tried 3 other SIM cards, including a different pre-paid Koodo Sim. None of these triggered the install of Bloatware.

This same SIM card came straight from my Carrier unlocked Key1, which never had any bloatware installed as a result of this SIM.

Is this bloatware hiding in the phone from the factory, waiting for something to trigger its installation? Or is this coming from the SIM card (doubt that).

Anyone else notice this? I'm becoming more and more frustrated with the Key2 by the day.
    07-26-18 06:10 PM
    Is this bloatware hiding in the phone from the factory, waiting for something to trigger its installation?
    Yes. From the list in the OS (https://pastebin.com/6mh08byc), Amazon is listed to be installed for Telus (223, 10518), Koodo (679), PC Mobile (702), Public Mobile (795), Rogers (169), and Fido (680).

Its counterpart from the KEYone OS (https://pastebin.com/X6arhTFU) only has Amazon as listed for Telus (223, 10518).
    bibbula likes this.
    07-26-18 06:27 PM
    Yes. From the list in the OS (https://pastebin.com/6mh08byc), Amazon is listed to be installed for Telus (223, 10518), Koodo (679), PC Mobile (702), Public Mobile (795), Rogers (169), and Fido (680).

Its counterpart from the KEYone OS (https://pastebin.com/X6arhTFU) only has Amazon as listed for Telus (223, 10518).
    That's a cool insight into the workings of the phone. Did you extract that from somewhere, can it be disabled?

But my Koodo Pre-paid Sim doesn't force the install of the bloatware, just the full plan Sim card....?

It would seem the Key1 doesn't have this list to reference, or maybe its a different list?
    07-26-18 06:33 PM
    That's a cool insight into the workings of the phone. Did you extract that from somewhere, can it be disabled?

But my Koodo Pre-paid Sim doesn't force the install of the bloatware, just the full plan Sim card....?

It would seem the Key1 doesn't have this list to reference, or maybe its a different list?
    The list is extracted from an OS dump (oem/etc/pathlist.xml), and as far as I can tell nothing can be done by the user; to disable loading Amazon automatically would require TCL to edit the file in an update. As for why your pre-paid doesn't load but your post-paid does, I don't know, but if I had to guess, they're read as different carrier IDs by the phone.
    chetmanley likes this.
    07-26-18 06:40 PM
    Hope TCL does modify it / remove it. I bought an unlocked Key2 from an online retailer so it wouldn't have this stuff it in. What's worse, I can't delete the app, only disable it while the Sim is installed.
    07-26-18 06:46 PM
    I tried to remove Amazon garbage on my Passport using ghost commander. But it comes back all the time. Eventually I created an app file called garbage and moved all amazon apps to that file so at least I didn't have to look at the Amazon stuff everytime I opened my phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-18 07:41 PM
    I tried to remove Amazon garbage on my Passport using ghost commander. But it comes back all the time. Eventually I created an app file called garbage and moved all amazon apps to that file so at least I didn't have to look at the Amazon stuff everytime I opened my phone.

Posted via CB10
    That's funny, that's exactly what I did after I gave up deleting. I buy a lot of stuff from amazon, but I don't like bloatware on my device.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-18 08:17 PM

Finally the truth comes out, thank you! Amazing what a year can do. I was posting about that stupid Amazon bloat app last year on my Telus KeyONE and was treated here on CB as if I had installed spyware on it, including by some of the mods here. SMH.
    07-26-18 08:25 PM
    Finally the truth comes out, thank you! Amazing what a year can do. I was posting about that stupid Amazon bloat app last year on my Telus KeyONE and was treated here on CB as if I had installed spyware on it, including by some of the mods here. SMH.
    That sounds about right!
    07-26-18 09:52 PM
    Looking through the permissions of this Amazon app. Basically spyware imho. Has no place on a BB phone.

Includes a number of metrics collecting and transmission functions and access to every system permission you can think of, including audio recording, location, camera and flashlight.
    08-04-18 01:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Have you used the Parental Controls method to remove Amazon apps from your phone? That's what I do so I don't have to look at the icons. Some people never accept the permissions when the phone asks for them.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-18 02:35 PM
    Can't app permissions be shut off on Oreo? My frustration with Amazon apps is on my Passport, which gives me no control over permissions on these Android apps. But I thought that if you had an Android phone it gives control over all permissions. I can't keep my passport from putting them on my phone but I can say no to the permissions (I can deny permissions but not change them) making the app unfunctional, which is fine for me as I never use it.
    08-04-18 02:55 PM
    Only "user friendly" permissions like camera, storage, contacts, microphone etc...

But there are many many additional permissions that applications can be set up to access that are not user controllable.

Only way to remove them is to patch the app using something like Lucky Patcher. However, because Blackberry in their infinite wisdom made this a system app, that's not possible.

This app can be disabled - but the fact it is even in my apps list to begin with is extremely disappointing.
    08-04-18 04:32 PM