This may sound like a silly question, but I couldn't be more serious.

With all of the recent buzz regarding mobile apps/products originating from China, and containing hidden technology used for malicious intent (mainly nation-state spyware), should I be worried about my KEY2?

I once read that all Chinese companies have something to the effect of a 'secret mandate' to ultimately provide support to, and obey all requests from, the Chinese government. Considering the KEY2 is a TCL phone assembled in China, is there any reason to be weary? Does anyone know of any reassurances provided by BlackBerry Mobile that their phones are clean?
    01-11-19 08:21 AM

With all of the recent buzz regarding mobile apps/products originating from China, and containing hidden technology used for malicious intent (mainly nation-state spyware), should I be worried about my KEY2?

I once read that all Chinese companies have something to the effect of a 'secret mandate' to ultimately provide support to, and obey all requests from, the Chinese government. Considering the KEY2 is a TCL phone assembled in China, is there any reason to be weary? Does anyone know of any reassurances provided by BlackBerry Mobile that their phones are clean?
    BlackBerry (Canada) packages and signs the final software in Canada. BlackBerry also does the kernel hardening work themselves.

BlackBerry has stated that the production line in China shuts down when the real-time link with BlackBerry is lost. Software is injected via this encrypted connection right on the assembly floor.
    01-11-19 08:28 AM

Unfortunately, there is still 3rd party software packaged in the Key2 and Key2LE which communicates with LBE Tech, Facebook and Google in the background and it cannot be disabled. LBE Tech is a China based company which produces the Dual Services App now used on those phones.
    Martin Haughton likes this.
    01-11-19 08:53 AM
    If you want to go the paranoid route, the vulnerability can be on the hardware level. Crippled random number generator in the cpu can make breaking the secure communication easier and there's no easy way of detecting it.

For the communication you can explore ways of using a firewall on android, although without root the possibilities will be limited.
    Martin Haughton likes this.
    01-11-19 07:30 PM
    We still do landlines and smoke type signals way better.......

I’m thinking CB radios could make a comeback.... I see a licensing opportunity.....

See what I did there
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-11-19 08:23 PM

I’m thinking CB radios could make a comeback.... I see a licensing opportunity.....

See what I did there
    In this part of the world anyone can use a CB radio without a licence and don't forget anyone can also listen in using another CB or scanner. CB radio here in the UK and Ireland is still used but just not as much as in the past. ;-)
    10 4 good buddy
    Posted via my Awesome passport
    01-12-19 06:11 AM
    Use a firewall or a DNS service to prevent data transmission to LBE, FaceBook and Google.
    01-12-19 06:43 AM

Isn't almost everything assembled/made in China? I'm sure Beijing is watching you right now through your TV or coffee machine. Toss it all out!
    01-12-19 06:49 AM

See what I did there
    https://www.1843magazine.com/technol...er-of-humanity

Please note that even old systems had vulnerabilities.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-12-19 08:55 AM
    https://www.1843magazine.com/technol...er-of-humanity

Please note that even old systems had vulnerabilities.
    This is probably the most interesting article, sorry Bla1ze, that I’ve ever read on CB that I can remember. The fact that it ties into my real life of bond products and trading is just a bonus.....
    01-12-19 10:38 AM
    This is probably the most interesting article, sorry Bla1ze, that I’ve ever read on CB that I can remember. The fact that it ties into my real life of bond products and trading is just a bonus.....
    I remember reading about this long time ago in a book about fraudsters in the history and was not able to find a good online article about it until today.
    The 1700s hackers story is just amazing
    01-12-19 10:41 AM
    Use a firewall or a DNS service to prevent data transmission to LBE, FaceBook and Google.
    That is a bandaid solution which works for the few of us who run firewalls.

But 99% of the users dont, and they have no idea that a system app which Blackberry added to their device is collecting data on them without their permission.

Blackberry needs to remove it.
    01-13-19 11:56 AM
    That is a bandaid solution which works for the few of us who run firewalls.

But 99% of the users dont, and they have no idea that a system app which Blackberry added to their device is collecting data on them without their permission.

Blackberry needs to remove it.
    I don't find this on my KEYone as of latest update.
    01-13-19 12:03 PM
    I don't find this on my KEYone as of latest update.
    It's only on the Key2 and Key2LE (both single and dual sim models)
    01-13-19 12:04 PM
    Isn't almost everything assembled/made in China? I'm sure Beijing is watching you right now through your TV or coffee machine. Toss it all out!
    Hmmmm. Not necessarily. Just look out for where something is made when you buy it. There are many good reasons to buy 'made in the US' or 'made in EU' or whatever, rather than 'made in China'. Security concerns are certainly an issue for technological goods, but I can also think of good other reasons including economic, social and financial ones. Consumers do have a choice but have to put their money where their mouth is, at least where they reasonably can.
    01-13-19 12:14 PM
    Unfortunately, there is still 3rd party software packaged in the Key2 and Key2LE which communicates with LBE Tech, Facebook and Google in the background and it cannot be disabled. LBE Tech is a China based company which produces the Dual Services App now used on those phones.
    What is this LBE Tech and how can I remove it?
    01-13-19 12:16 PM
    What is this LBE Tech and how can I remove it?
    It's a Chinese app developer of the Parallel-Space app which is available on Google Play.

It looks like TCL/BB have licensed it for use on the Key2 and Key2LE under the name of the Dual Services App.

Just like their Parallel Space app which contains 12 trackers, the Dual Services App contains trackers for LBE tech themselves, Facebook and Google.

Because BB/TCL made it a system app, it cannot be deleted. Unfortunately, they also set it up so it can't be disabled.

Only way to prevent the collection is to use a firewall until BB come to their senses and remove this crap from their devices.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    01-13-19 12:23 PM
    It's a Chinese app developer of the Parallel-Space app which is available on Google Play.

It looks like TCL/BB have licensed it for use on the Key2 and Key2LE under the name of the Dual Services App.

Just like their Parallel Space app which contains 12 trackers, the Dual Services App contains trackers for LBE tech themselves, Facebook and Google.

Because BB/TCL made it a system app, it cannot be deleted. Unfortunately, they also set it up so it can't be disabled.

Only way to prevent the collection is to use a firewall until BB come to their senses and remove this crap from their devices.
    And it is only on the Key2 and not on the KeyOne? Bizarre.
    01-13-19 12:37 PM
    And it is only on the Key2 and not on the KeyOne? Bizarre.
    So my KEYone is more private and secure than Key2 for now...

Except for the fact that AT&T is selling my location data..
    01-13-19 01:15 PM
    Hmmmm. Not necessarily. Just look out for where something is made when you buy it. There are many good reasons to buy 'made in the US' or 'made in EU' or whatever, rather than 'made in China'. Security concerns are certainly an issue for technological goods, but I can also think of good other reasons including economic, social and financial ones. Consumers do have a choice but have to put their money where their mouth is, at least where they reasonably can.
    Something made in the EU could have parts and components from China. They could embed something into said component. It never ends unless you want to go Amish.
    01-13-19 01:15 PM
    Something made in the EU could have parts and components from China. They could embed something into said component. It never ends unless you want to go Amish.
    Yes, of course, and nothing what I wrote says differently. If you are working in a security-sensitive area, these things actually matter.
    01-13-19 01:25 PM
    So my KEYone is more private and secure than Key2 for now...

Except for the fact that AT&T is selling my location data..
    Some wireless providers allow you to Opt out of that, usually by texting something to a specific number buried deep in the privacy policy of the provider.
    01-13-19 02:59 PM