I'm that unlucky guy that managed to screw up the screen on his phone. Already. Ordered it on July 21st and managed to scratch the screen on August 24th. Don't ask me how because I seriously have no clue. I was working on my car and must have scraped something over it without knowing.

In any case, I need help. I need to replace this screen somehow. I have a squaretrade warranty but they consider the damage cosmetic so they'll be no good in helping me fix it. I already tried using a "self healing" screen protector on it (yeah, too late), and it didn't really hide the scratches very well. I'm running out of options here.

Are the ebay screens for this phone any good? Gadgetfix has one for sale for pretty cheap. Do these screens have the same scratch resistance or visual quality as the factory screen does?

https://gadgetfix.com/lcd-display-sc...00-2-7341.html

Also, does anyone have instructions on how to replace the screen? I've replaced screens on other devices like my wife's iPhone 6 and a couple older Samsung phones so I'm not a newbie, but I've seen no instructions online on how to get this phone open and I'd rather not force anything and break it.
    Attached Thumbnails KEY2 Screen Replacement-dsc00041.jpg   KEY2 Screen Replacement-dsc00042.jpg  
    08-27-18 02:29 PM
    Probably not gonna find much feedback on the replacements. Haven't come across many folks yet who have actually completed the process yet, which also is why there's a lack of videos on the tear down process.
    08-27-18 06:14 PM
    @xtremerevolution
    If you search for Key2 Teardown, you will find all 5 parts by mralgi
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-1-5-a-1153559

Thanks to mralgi, this is the closest thing we have to a tear-down how-to.
    @Bla1ze , could we sticky these 5 posts?

If you reference Passport SE teardown videos, that will help because the key2 and SE are similar.
    ie - you need to start from the back cover, and work forward to the screen.
    mralgi and diesel0110 like this.
    08-27-18 07:09 PM
    @xtremerevolution
    If you search for Key2 Teardown, you will find all 5 parts by mralgi
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-1-5-a-1153559

Thanks to mralgi, this is the closest thing we have to a tear-down how-to.
    @Bla1ze , could we sticky these 5 posts?

If you reference Passport SE teardown videos, that will help because the key2 and SE are similar.
    ie - you need to start from the back cover, and work forward to the screen.
    No. But I have stuck the first post AND added the other 4 links to the bottom of the first post for easier accessibility.
    chetmanley and mralgi like this.
    08-27-18 07:22 PM
    I wonder if adding a tempered glass protector on the screen would make the scratches less noticeable...

Either way, do they bother you while using the phone or just when the screen is off?
    08-28-18 09:20 AM
    If you are willing to pay a professional https://www.ubreakifix.com is one of the few places that I have found that will service a BlackBerry. I have used them for diagnostics in the past and they have been fantastic. Because they are service and not retail I never felt like they were telling me to do something because they wanted me to buy something from them.
    08-28-18 04:55 PM
    No. But I have stuck the first post AND added the other 4 links to the bottom of the first post for easier accessibility.
    Thanks Bla1ze.
    08-28-18 07:22 PM
    I'm that unlucky guy that managed to screw up the screen on his phone. Already. Ordered it on July 21st and managed to scratch the screen on August 24th. Don't ask me how because I seriously have no clue. I was working on my car and must have scraped something over it without knowing.

https://forums.crackberry.com/attach...1&d=1535394300
    https://forums.crackberry.com/attach...1&d=1535394300

In any case, I need help. I need to replace this screen somehow. I have a squaretrade warranty but they consider the damage cosmetic so they'll be no good in helping me fix it. I already tried using a "self healing" screen protector on it (yeah, too late), and it didn't really hide the scratches very well. I'm running out of options here.

Are the ebay screens for this phone any good? Gadgetfix has one for sale for pretty cheap. Do these screens have the same scratch resistance or visual quality as the factory screen does?

https://gadgetfix.com/lcd-display-sc...00-2-7341.html

Also, does anyone have instructions on how to replace the screen? I've replaced screens on other devices like my wife's iPhone 6 and a couple older Samsung phones so I'm not a newbie, but I've seen no instructions online on how to get this phone open and I'd rather not force anything and break it.
    I had some serious trouble trying to take the screen off during the tear down. I ended up breaking it multiple times and couldn't even get the entire screen off due to how well it was installed (or how poor of a job I did). One or the other. Either way, difficult.
    08-28-18 07:25 PM
    I had some serious trouble trying to take the screen off during the tear down. I ended up breaking it multiple times and couldn't even get the entire screen off due to how well it was installed (or how poor of a job I did). One or the other. Either way, difficult.
    Did you use heat to try to remove it?
    08-29-18 12:46 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys. Normally the screens I've replaced were fairly easy.

I bought a pair of those soft screen protectors. Liked the feel, install was easy after I ruined the first. Found a speck of dust on the second. Decided to try a glass screen protector. Edges didn't stick correctly. Absolute NO GO on that one. I peeled it off and tossed it in the trash just now. Probably going to end up with another 2-pack of the softer screen protectors since nothing I'm finding will stick to the edges correctly. Maybe I'll end up dropping my phone hard enough to break something so I can just pay the deductible and have squaretrade replace the phone for me since they won't do anything now as it's "just cosmetic."
    08-29-18 10:59 AM
    Did you use heat to try to remove it?
    No, I was in a location with very limited resources, so only a small folding knife and 2 micro screwdrivers.
    08-29-18 11:22 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys. Normally the screens I've replaced were fairly easy.

I bought a pair of those soft screen protectors. Liked the feel, install was easy after I ruined the first. Found a speck of dust on the second. Decided to try a glass screen protector. Edges didn't stick correctly. Absolute NO GO on that one. I peeled it off and tossed it in the trash just now. Probably going to end up with another 2-pack of the softer screen protectors since nothing I'm finding will stick to the edges correctly. Maybe I'll end up dropping my phone hard enough to break something so I can just pay the deductible and have squaretrade replace the phone for me since they won't do anything now as it's "just cosmetic."
    I have one of those protectors with the black contours on my KEY2, essentially the same type as the ones available for the KEYone except it curves up and goes above the navigation keys, therefore not hindering the sensitivity.

It looks to do the job so far.
    08-29-18 12:21 PM
    Any feedback on the key2 screen replacement. I shattered my screen and going to get it replaced at a mobile Clinic spot. I'm just concerned with the quality of the new screen they are going to install.
    10-07-18 11:59 AM
    I found a teardown for Blackberry Key2 in youtube which i used to repair my key2. Here's the link-

Hope this helps !!
    02-19-19 09:42 PM
    I found a teardown for Blackberry Key2 in youtube which i used to repair my key2. Here's the link-

Hope this helps !!
    Anyone else find themselves saying "like a little Lego" every time he pries up one of the ribbon cable connectors? Or maybe I've watched too many of Zach's videos...
    02-19-19 10:52 PM