This morning my K2 slipped and fell on concrete stairs.
    The touchscreen is functional, I was able to use the phone, but switched back to my old K1 as the glass chips were falling out.

I plan to stop by at BestBuy's Geek squad to ask them to replace the screen tonight.

Please, do you have any experience with screen replacement? (how long it takes, what are the costs without protection plan coverage)

Also, please, can you share recommendation on what to test before I decide to get this fixed instead of buying a new one? (any experience with such hard impacts? what can be damaged? camera? microphone? antenna?)

Thx
    Attached Thumbnails KEY2 screen glass shattered-49203464_1151358078379519_6344954615150149632_n.jpg  
    01-02-19 12:43 PM
    Sorry to hear about this but I have to ask... were you using a case and a screen protector or naked?

Bob
    01-02-19 12:55 PM
    Sorry to hear about this but I have to ask... were you using a case and a screen protector or naked?

Bob
    case yes, silicone, screen protector no, but i doubt any screen protector would prevent this. so far most screen protectors were just thin sticker or glass, i can't imagine it absorbing such an amount of impact energy
    01-02-19 01:15 PM
    Man that sucks... I had my KEY2 launch from about 5 feet and landed on a concrete floor. Even though it was in the OEM BlackBerry Soft Shell Case and a Supershieldz Screen Protector I feared the worse... fortunately mine survived. Sadly there are no guarantees even in a case... 😓

Bob
    the brother likes this.
    01-02-19 01:20 PM
    What kind of case was on your KEY2 ?
    Did the case protrude from the front as to absorb impact?
    01-02-19 01:34 PM
    What kind of case was on your KEY2 ?
    Did the case protrude from the front as to absorb impact?
    This one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSSZ7XS...UvbUpU13329389

looking at the damage, I really don't think any case would stop it. it was hit directly on the screen
    01-02-19 01:49 PM
    Please report back here when and if you get it repaired. Sad as it is you will probably not be first or last to do it. Not like parts are going to be quick to get either. Phones are hard to find. Lol

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    01-02-19 01:51 PM
    Please report back here when and if you get it repaired. Sad as it is you will probably not be first or last to do it. Not like parts are going to be quick to get either. Phones are hard to find. Lol

Reg
    The guy at bestbuy chat told me they have it in stock, but common sense says it's good to be true. I will probably order a new one, but first want to check possible replacement option.
    01-02-19 01:56 PM
    This one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSSZ7XS...UvbUpU13329393

looking at the damage, I really don't think any case would stop it. it was hit directly on the screen
    When my KEY2 landed on the concrete floor it landed flat on the face/screen... that is why I feared that the screen would be shattered. Perhaps having the Supershieldz Screen Protector as well as the OEM case that is why mine survived... Dunno.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob80220; 01-02-19 at 05:57 PM.
    01-02-19 01:58 PM
    Same thing happened to mine. I went to a local "ubreakifix" store and they said they couldnt do it bc the screen has to be "reglued" and they dont do that for fear of f-ing it up again for liability purposes.

Please let me know what you find out at your best buy trip, as I didnt even think of going there (probably because I got mine on amazon) but that could work for me too if they can fix at a not outrageous quote. Thanks!
    01-02-19 02:03 PM
    Same thing happened to mine. I went to a local "ubreakifix" store and they said they couldnt do it bc the screen has to be "reglued" and they dont do that for fear of f-ing it up again for liability purposes.

Please let me know what you find out at your best buy trip, as I didnt even think of going there (probably because I got mine on amazon) but that could work for me too if they can fix at a not outrageous quote. Thanks!
    I got ubreakifix response today saying "This is not a typical repair for us." I'll rather go to best buy where I purchased the phone just for warranty reasons.
    the brother likes this.
    01-02-19 03:53 PM

Reg
    Absolute disaster.

My BestBuy screen repair experience:
    drove to the nearest bestbuy after coming home from work and was told that they repair only iphones and samsungs there. their explanation was that they do not service blackberry phones, and if i would have the protection coverage, they would just send it for replacement.

So I'm left with shattered screen and need to dig through the forum to see what options there are to get it replaced somewhere.

PS: Key1 sucks big time! it laaaags and my key1 space was unrealiable, i need to push it really hard to type the space.
    Fun fact: the chrome browser on key1 still had the tab open with my key2 order tracking since July 12th
    01-02-19 07:32 PM
    This is sad news for sure. I looked through the Blackberry KEY² disassembly photos and looked like pretty much would need new keyboard and screen

Reg
    01-02-19 07:48 PM
    Absolute disaster.

My BestBuy screen repair experience:
    drove to the nearest bestbuy after coming home from work and was told that they repair only iphones and samsungs there. their explanation was that they do not service blackberry phones, and if i would have the protection coverage, they would just send it for replacement.

So I'm left with shattered screen and need to dig through the forum to see what options there are to get it replaced somewhere.
    Just on sales volumes, owning a BB phone is a lot like owning a Daihatsu-brand car - both represent well under 0.1% of the US market. You probably won't find Daihatsu parts in stock at the corner AutoZone either.

And independent shops are going to be reluctant to work on them, because they won't be familiar with the phone, because it's glued together which makes it difficult to disassemble without breaking things, and because if they screw up, they'd have to buy another replacement screen on the open market because their suppliers won't stock them.

As such, I recommend sending it to BBMo (TCL)'s repair facility, which will probably mean a replacement device (possibly a refurb). The other option is to find a local indie shop that is willing to do the repair (you may need to supply the screen) - but know going in that that is a risk, for you and for the shop. I used to repair mobile devices, so I know how it goes.
    01-03-19 02:33 AM
    Sorry about this problem you're having as I can imagine it sucks...think the only option will have to go thru BlackBerry Mobile...and once you get a new unit, before opening it, I would go back to Best Buy and inquire with Geek Squad about purchasing a warranty plan if possible.
    01-03-19 07:10 AM
    Sorry about this problem you're having as I can imagine it sucks...think the only option will have to go thru BlackBerry Mobile...and once you get a new unit, before opening it, I would go back to Best Buy and inquire with Geek Squad about purchasing a warranty plan if possible.
    Well, my new Key2 is on its way, due to arrive tomorrow. I can still add the Geek Squad protection plan, I think I'll go with monthly as I hope the Key3 will come sooner than in 18 months.

So I won't be anymore under pressure and can seek help to replace the screen somewhere. The worst thing is the nightmare to tweak all the settings on the phone, so I can wipe the broken one and leave it for service.
    01-03-19 09:15 AM
    Well, my new Key2 is on its way, due to arrive tomorrow. I can still add the Geek Squad protection plan, I think I'll go with monthly as I hope the Key3 will come sooner than in 18 months.

So I won't be anymore under pressure and can seek help to replace the screen somewhere. The worst thing is the nightmare to tweak all the settings on the phone, so I can wipe the broken one and leave it for service.
    Great to know...glad the factory warranty came thru, is the screen completely unresponsive? If not you should be able to do it. And I'm glad you were able to get the protection plan added, I did the monthly one as well...I'm glad they gave that option as when I bought my KEYᵒⁿᵉhad to give an additional $200 for the plan, and that put a nice dent in my wallet at the time lol
    01-03-19 11:18 AM
    Great to know...glad the factory warranty came thru, is the screen completely unresponsive? If not you should be able to do it. And I'm glad you were able to get the protection plan added, I did the monthly one as well...I'm glad they gave that option as when I bought my KEYᵒⁿᵉhad to give an additional $200 for the plan, and that put a nice dent in my wallet at the time lol
    not warranty, I paid for another one to resolve the suffering. i did the math, the 2y plan equals to 18 monthly payments, so if you plan to keep your phone for less than 1.5y, it's better to go with the monthly.
    RonZed10 likes this.
    01-03-19 11:27 AM
    not warranty, I paid for another one to resolve the suffering. i did the math, the 2y plan equals to 18 monthly payments, so if you plan to keep your phone for less than 1.5y, it's better to go with the monthly.
    Oh wow, hurts to know that you had to purchase another one, but I would have done the same...and glad you got the warranty this time...did you get a black one this time for new luck?! Lol
    01-03-19 12:05 PM
    And I'm shocked that the factory warranty didn't cover this.
    01-03-19 12:06 PM
    And I'm shocked that the factory warranty didn't cover this.
    Wait, I didn't think even for a moment that factory warranty would cover something like this. Are you being serious? Pls, can you guide me how to file a manufacturer warranty on physical damage?
    01-03-19 03:58 PM
    Wait, I didn't think even for a moment that factory warranty would cover something like this. Are you being serious? Pls, can you guide me how to file a manufacturer warranty on physical damage?
    Sorry I didn't see this until late. Your factory warranty should come in to play for this if I'm not wrong, Best Buy should have been able to tell you this, all they had to do was search for your date of purchase and just put in for a warranty replacement. I believe BlackBerry Mobile has a location in Kentucky where they would ship you a new unit and enclose a return label in the box it came in and you would have 30 days to return the unit or they would charge for a new unit. Safe if that's possible and you could save yourself some money...if Best Buy can't do it, then I would say to contact BlackBerry Mobile directly and open a ticket.
    01-03-19 10:18 PM
    Sorry I didn't see this until late. Your factory warranty should come in to play for this if I'm not wrong, Best Buy should have been able to tell you this, all they had to do was search for your date of purchase and just put in for a warranty replacement. I believe BlackBerry Mobile has a location in Kentucky where they would ship you a new unit and enclose a return label in the box it came in and you would have 30 days to return the unit or they would charge for a new unit. Safe if that's possible and you could save yourself some money...if Best Buy can't do it, then I would say to contact BlackBerry Mobile directly and open a ticket.
    The warranty description states that it's void in case of "damage as result of Physical abuse regardless of cause".
    Do you really think it's a possibility? I really didn't even consider it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I can give it a try.
    01-03-19 10:27 PM
    Another update: https://www.cellphonerepair.com/ quoted me for $160+tax on screen replacement, 3-4 business days after putting down a deposit for ordering the part
    01-03-19 10:34 PM
    Sounds to good to be true but hey if they are willing to take it on. 160 is a long way from 800

Reg
    01-03-19 10:50 PM
27 12