Well, there were technically two other companies who did.
    Lol, what a fail these guys...
    08-05-19 07:46 PM
    Did you ever find it odd TCL would sell a secure phone but would sell TV’s and other “things” on the internet that can be hacked. From BlackBerry’s point of view maybe they should not have squeezed TCL so hard for royalties and instead did some business with TCL to secure their “things”.

TCL and BlackBerry were not a good fit.
    I agree it would be great if TCL would use QNX and BlackBerry's network security... just not sure if you added that BlackBerry Tax.... if TCL would have been able to undercut Vizio by so much.

As great as Smart TVs are... I've been using an XBox as the brains for our streaming. I just don't trust putting all my account info into these Apps on even a Samsung TV. (I figure MS already has my life in their hands... )
    08-06-19 08:24 AM
    Did you ever find it odd TCL would sell a secure phone but would sell TV’s and other “things” on the internet that can be hacked. From BlackBerry’s point of view maybe they should not have squeezed TCL so hard for royalties and instead did some business with TCL to secure their “things”.

TCL and BlackBerry were not a good fit.
    BB might have thought as possible IOT client down the road. At end of day, the squeeze is really about sustained profits. Both sides agreed to a deal that represented the risk versus reward equation both needed.

At the end of the day, most consumers won’t knowingly pay extra for security. Most pay for known Android/iOS flagship or midtier sold with assumptions.
    08-06-19 08:44 AM
    At the end of the day, most consumers won’t knowingly pay extra for security. Most pay for known Android/iOS flagship or midtier sold with assumptions.
    Which is why Enterprise was the focus... as they sometimes will pay more - if they feel it's a value. Like buying expensive Apple phones. On the front end Android's are much cheaper, but historically their support was poor.

I think Carrier and Enterprise lack of interest in the KEYone and Motion was disheartening, but I think they hoped that things would improve with some time. While I never saw the Android Recommend program as a guarantee as some did, I did think it was a positive move for the brand. But I was kinda shocked with the KEY2 launched and no US Carrier was offering it.... and then the LE. At that point I think things were past hoping for changes or a future.
    08-06-19 09:14 AM
    Which is why Enterprise was the focus... as they sometimes will pay more - if they feel it's a value. Like buying expensive Apple phones. On the front end Android's are much cheaper, but historically their support was poor.

I think Carrier and Enterprise lack of interest in the KEYone and Motion was disheartening, but I think they hoped that things would improve with some time. While I never saw the Android Recommend program as a guarantee as some did, I did think it was a positive move for the brand. But I was kinda shocked with the KEY2 launched and no US Carrier was offering it.... and then the LE. At that point I think things were past hoping for changes or a future.
    Pretty much agreed. I don’t think most typical consumers pick iOS over Android based on security. That’s what I refer to as the assumption part. I suspect most consumers just assume certain established brands are secure and safe in general...
    08-06-19 09:23 AM
    Pretty much agreed. I don’t think most typical consumers pick iOS over Android based on security. That’s what I refer to as the assumption part. I suspect most consumers just assume certain established brands are secure and safe in general...
    There is safety in numbers....
    08-06-19 09:45 AM
    There is safety in numbers....
    That’s what the lemmings tell me so I’m following them from now on.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Bbnivende like this.
    08-06-19 09:53 AM
    That’s what the lemmings tell me so I’m following them from now on.
    Just don't look down.
    08-06-19 10:40 AM
    I agree it would be great if TCL would use QNX and BlackBerry's network security... just not sure if you added that BlackBerry Tax.... if TCL would have been able to undercut Vizio by so much.

As great as Smart TVs are... I've been using an XBox as the brains for our streaming. I just don't trust putting all my account info into these Apps on even a Samsung TV. (I figure MS already has my life in their hands... )
    If people would substitute the word "risky" or "dangerous" for every product labeled "smart" they would make much better decisions.

I'm generally pro-technology, and I own a ton of gadgets, including smart phones and tablets, speakers and TVs, but I don't trust ANY of them to respect my privacy or to keep me, my family and my business safe. I have policies and controls that I use for every one of them to protect myself to a reasonable degree.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-06-19 01:32 PM
    If people would substitute the word "risky" or "dangerous" for every product labeled "smart" they would make much better decisions.

I'm generally pro-technology, and I own a ton of gadgets, including smart phones and tablets, speakers and TVs, but I don't trust ANY of them to respect my privacy or to keep me, my family and my business safe. I have policies and controls that I use for every one of them to protect myself to a reasonable degree.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    I would guess you don't have a smart TV either? Because what makes it smart is connectivity and there is no way to program security on it that I know of.
    08-06-19 02:05 PM
    I would guess you don't have a smart TV either? Because what makes it smart is connectivity and there is no way to program security on it that I know of.
    I’m not sure whether to be concerned or not. Friend of mine gave my daughters a 43” Flagship Smart TV since he upgraded to bigger 4K model. I have a 42” Flagship non Smart TV model. Since my daughters use TV as teenagers do I’ve never given security any thought regarding WiFi and everything since I don’t even have a cable box connected. I’m walking forward and society is running by me...
    08-06-19 02:53 PM
    I’m not sure whether to be concerned or not. Friend of mine gave my daughters a 43” Flagship Smart TV since he upgraded to bigger 4K model. I have a 42” Flagship non Smart TV model. Since my daughters use TV as teenagers do I’ve never given security any thought regarding WiFi and everything since I don’t even have a cable box connected. I’m walking forward and society is running by me...
    I have an LG Smart TV (new) and it runs on Android. In order to make it smart I must login with Google and Amazon for more enhanced features. What I know is that after watching a movie, any movie, my social media feeds start with related advertising. But honestly, it doesn't really bother me, it's 2019, it's unavoidable unless you go all Grizly Adams and off grid! So be it.
    08-06-19 03:02 PM
    I have an LG Smart TV (new) and it runs on Android. In order to make it smart I must login with Google and Amazon for more enhanced features. What I know is that after watching a movie, any movie, my social media feeds start with related advertising. But honestly, it doesn't really bother me, it's 2019, it's unavoidable unless you go all Grizly Adams and off grid! So be it.
    your TV does not run android. It runs webOS. It does have Alexa and Google assistant built in though is my guess and where you are getting confused.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    08-06-19 03:22 PM
    your TV does not run android. It runs webOS. It does have Alexa and Google assistant built in though is my guess and where you are getting confused.
    Had to mention the webOS and will start all the BB10/QNX for TVs now and TCL partnership for branding....

LOL
    howarmat likes this.
    08-06-19 03:28 PM
    Ah, good to know, thanks! The fact though is, Google is culling my data! Are not all Smart TV's affected by Google and Amazon data culling? If connected of coarse!
    08-06-19 03:35 PM
    Ah, good to know, thanks! The fact though is, Google is culling my data! Are not all Smart TV's affected by Google and Amazon data culling? If connected of coarse!
    you dont have to sign into those services. The TV will still operate and the apps like netflix hulu etc will all work too. You do UNLOCK more features and can be more connected if you log in but shouldnt be required. Most all smart TVs dont have to log into the services and can be operated just as a TV
    08-06-19 03:41 PM
    you dont have to sign into those services. The TV will still operate and the apps like netflix hulu etc will all work too. You do UNLOCK more features and can be more connected if you log in but shouldnt be required. Most all smart TVs dont have to log into the services and can be operated just as a TV
    Hahaha, thus taking the Smart out of Smart TV. Choices! I choose convenience and assume the minimal and unavoidable risk.
    08-06-19 03:43 PM
    Hahaha, thus taking the Smart out of Smart TV. Choices! I choose convenience and assume the minimal and unavoidable risk.
    There is a difference in LG TV's and some Chinese built and sold TV.... I might put some faith in LG, but some of these cheap re-branded TVs, I'm not so sure about imputing my account info and passwords to unlock the apps I want to use.

For me the fewer points of trust the better. I already had to trust MS and already had an Xbox.... so I just chose to use it to it's full and not have to trust the TV manufacture. That and the fact the XBox does 4K and the stupid 4K TV's smart apps (Netflix, Hulu or Vudu) won't stream in 4K...
    08-06-19 03:59 PM
    When I look at my daughters’ TV in their room, all I see is a giant tablet or slab looking phone device....
    08-06-19 04:32 PM
    When I look at my daughters’ TV in their room, all I see is a giant tablet or slab looking phone device....
    Put a keyboard on it.
    08-06-19 05:09 PM
    That’s @the_boon department...
    08-06-19 05:38 PM
    That’s @the_boon department...
    Lol whenever I do upgrade to a Smart TV, I'll make sure to get one whose remote has a full QWERTY in it...

Such a thing does exist, right?
    08-06-19 07:40 PM
    Lol whenever I do upgrade to a Smart TV, I'll make sure to get one whose remote has a full QWERTY in it...

Such a thing does exist, right?
    Yup! Many! No BlackBerry's though!
    08-06-19 08:06 PM
    Here are a few! KEY2: The report of my death was an exaggeration!-screenshot_20190806-180716.jpeg
    I believe one of them supports Lithuanian!
    the_boon likes this.
    08-06-19 08:09 PM
    Here are a few! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190806-180716.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	445646
    I believe one of them supports Lithuanian!

If we’re keeping correct era specific theme, shouldn’t we include a WebTV PKB model circa Y2K or so?
    08-06-19 08:19 PM
203 ... 56789